• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so after I set my revival point
a crazy dude named Pizarro was talking to his girl about destroying the world and stuff
is this a just side quest ( should I search for him ? and where ) or a main Story thing ?

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Whats a good tactic for those irritating knights in the fire temple?

Bombs. They're usually plentiful enough that even with a stock of 30 I never had to worry about running out. Don't worry about placing them properly cause as long as one is front of an enemy they can't walk past it. As a bonus depending on a number of factors a single bomb can hit the enemy twice.

If you have a full-strength sword get some distance between you and them (you can even hit them if you like) until they stop moving around so aggressively. This makes them more likely to turn around so you can stab them in the back.

The game oozes awesomeness and growing up in the 80, this game really brings back the old school memories. But for some reason I cannot figure out, it really isn't keeping my attention.

darkjedi187 said:
The game oozes awesomeness and growing up in the 80, this game really brings back the old school memories. But for some reason I cannot figure out, it really isn't keeping my attention.
yeah, it feels really soulless to me, but i'm going to stick with it

Totobeni said:
a crazy dude named Pizarro was talking to his girl about destroying the world and stuff
is this a just side quest ( should I search for him ? and where ) or a main Story thing ?

That sounds a lot like "Palazzo". Can it be a reference to the greatest villain of all time?

Xater

Can somebody help me out where I can find some wood? I got a tip from somebody but now I don't remember what he said and I don't know where that guy was.

Xater said:
Can somebody help me out where I can find some wood? I got a tip from somebody but now I don't remember what he said and I don't know where that guy was.

the holy wood is in the infinite forest and the fire wood is at the inn by the same forest.

Teknoman

Looks like i'm destined not to have the game...still backordered at Bestbuy.com and I preordered the game a week prior to release (gift cards & reward zone stuff).

Now the estimated ship date has been moved to 6/16/2010...

eXistor

While I haven't played it much (Alan Wake ate up all my time) I do notice that the game feels a bit clinical. The style itself it fine, but it lacks warmth, like it's going through the motions. I think I'll pop it in tomorrow, seeing as I'm just about done with Alan Wake to see if this is actually true.

Johnas

Totobeni said:

I don't know if there's any sort of side quest, but that's a reference to Dragon Quest IV (Pisaro and Rose).

I need to get back to this game tonight.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Knocked out dungeon 5 last night....the game has 6 right? Am i close to the end already?

Can someone tell me exactly where the
long hookshot
is? I read earlier that its supposedly over by
Jims Shack in the Northeast area
, but i cant find it...

BeeDog

Been playing for a short while now and the game's good (fucking great value for 28€!), though not super-great. It definitely feels like a sturdy production (good production values, nice pop references, great art direction, AMAZING music etc.), but some things hold it back from being a truly great game.

Gotta admit though, I laughed hard when the king said something like "Why? Because I'm the king of Dotnia, hahahaha!" and his guard then said "LET'S PARTY!!!". So freakin' random. :lol

Just getting to dungeon 3 did my head in. The conveyors were extremely frustrating, until I read that all you have to do is
go in between the cacti
. Anyway, the dungeon 3 boss really wasn't as hard as some of you let on.
Just spam bombs

shuri

Banned
I'm enjoying this, but it's quite a letdown that you get that huge fuckoff sword right away. I expected the typical oldschool zelda build-up to it. The music is AMAZING and spot on, I loved the village and the weird sense of humor in the game. )"An Empty Bottle. IMAGINE ALL THE POSSIBILITIES!!!")..

Also, whats wrong with the game palette? It feels strangely.. faded. I cracked up the colors so that the grass has that 8bit green tone. The game looks WAYYY more vivid and spot on the look of nes titles. The normal point of view is strange too. I switched it to Mode B.

.. I cant even figure out the first dungeon! :lol how the crap are you suposed to push stuff? The fairy was like.. MAYBE YOU CAN PUSH A BLOCK TO GET TO THE CHEST or something, so i tried leaning on every block, ramming them..how the hell do you get to that damn chest? I cant believe i'm stuck there.

So far, awesome game, but a bit too easy, you get way too many hearts and since your sword is so fuckoff huge, walking around outside feels too easy.

So how the hell do I get to that chest in dungeon 1?

BeeDog

shuri said:
I'm enjoying this, but it's quite a letdown that you get that huge fuckoff sword right away. I expected the typical oldschool zelda build-up to it. The music is AMAZING and spot on, I loved the village and the weird sense of humor in the game. )"An Empty Bottle. IMAGINE ALL THE POSSIBILITIES!!!")..

Also, whats wrong with the game palette? It feels strangely.. faded. I cracked up the colors so that the grass has that 8bit green tone. The game looks WAYYY more vivid and spot on the look of nes titles. The normal point of view is strange too. I switched it to Mode B.

.. I cant even figure out the first dungeon! :lol how the crap are you suposed to push stuff? The fairy was like.. MAYBE YOU CAN PUSH A BLOCK TO GET TO THE CHEST or something, so i tried leaning on every block, ramming them..how the hell do you get to that damn chest? I cant believe i'm stuck there.

So far, awesome game, but a bit too easy, you get way too many hearts and since your sword is so fuckoff huge, walking around outside feels too easy.

Check the topside of the blocks. The ones you can push have a special shape on top, sorta like the old Konami logo:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/Konami_logo.png

And the second dungeon was noticeably harder than the first one, so don't worry on that front. And if you want a true challenge, try the minigames that unlock after the first dungeon.

Chorazin

shuri said:

It's not that easy, you're just in dungeon one. :p If you want it easier, don't upgrade your sword.

You need to just push against the blocks like in olden days. No button to hold, just push.

Only some can be pushed. Check the tops of the pillars, notice anything different about some of them?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
shuri said:

Pay close attention to the blocks...the ones that can be pushed have a different design on top of them compared to the others. To push them, just lean against them and push...:lol

I just finished dungeon 5...trust me...the game gets harder.

Host Samurai said:
I would love to see Atlus do a spiritual successor to this but in a different classic genre like a 8bit platformer, beat em up or even SHMUP.

This would be pretty damn awesome, actually. They are free to milk this like the Lego action games if they want.

I'm now on the last dungeon and I have to say it's a great last dungeon. Almost at the top.

As I said earlier I don't normally enjoy the dungeons in Zelda games as I find them tedious, but I'm really enjoying these in this game.

It's a real shame this game hasn't sold very well/isn't going too as it is without doubt one of my top 3 games so far this year with Heavy Rain and GoWIII. I've just totally fell in love with it and little I can fault. Talking to the NPC is always a joy, reading funny little comments or getting new side quests. There's just always something to do and when I get into a new area I'm searching for all the secrets and whatnot and delaying the main quest.

Just got me my Hero Sword and Shield too so I'm ready for the nasty Bishop.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
He is small enough that he looks goofy holding a shield, but I made King Graham from King's Quest:

20iyyba.jpg

eknk0w.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Captain Pants said:
He is small enough that he looks goofy holding a shield, but I made King Graham from King's Quest:

[/IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/20iyyba.jpg[/IMG]
[/IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/eknk0w.jpg[/IMG]
Nice!
Remember, there's a code to remove the shield from view (but still be active and useful) so that you can better see your characters.

Start menu then up up down down left right left right square triangle. You'll hear a chime.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
dallow_bg said:
Nice!
Remember, there's a code to remove the shield from view (but still be active and useful) so that you can better see your characters.

Start menu then up up down down left right left right square triangle. You'll hear a chime.

Awesome! I was not aware of that.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Really? Aw fuck it. I'm done with this game.

Wut?! Game's not that difficult at all. Dungeon 5 was the most taxing due to the way the switches work, but really that's the difficulty cieling. The last dungeons a fucking walk in the park. Once you learn the movements of the bosses, they really are a cinch. I've perfected all the bosses so far up to the last dungeon (as I haven't finished it yet). Get a good sword and take some heart and magic jars with you and the game isn't a problem. If you have the dungeon portal activated, you can always easily teleport straight back there.

Johnas

I have to say this thread seems really sleepy and small in proportion to the hype the game was generating before release. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Anyway, got to play some more tonight and I did a lot of overworld exploring, now I'm on my way to dungeon 5, although I haven't gotten there yet (pretty sure I'm on the right path). Based on the fact that I'm more than halfway through the game, there has to be a metric ton of sidequest-related stuff I've missed. I don't know that I'll replay it to try to tie all that up, maybe sometime down the road.

I like the game more now than when I started, but there's still something missing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I fucking hate block dash. *cries* I still can't beat the fucking circuit. Stupid trees fucking with my reflexes. "DOWN, LEFT-NO RIGHT--SHIT" :(

Johnas

TheSeks said:
I fucking hate block dash. *cries* I still can't beat the fucking circuit. Stupid trees fucking with my reflexes. "DOWN, LEFT-NO RIGHT--SHIT" :(

I got first place on the second circuit (Monaco) but I gave up on the first one at 20.42 seconds, and apparently now I can't go back to it.

You'll really love the second one if you haven't played it yet. :p It's noticeably bigger than the first.l

I played Block Defense for the first time today and hated it.

Ryn

Just beat the game, definitely well worth it! Probably going to give the
From Mode/Spelunker Mode
a try, maybe going after all the trophies too.

Belfast

Johnas said:
I got first place on the second circuit (Monaco) but I gave up on the first one at 20.42 seconds, and apparently now I can't go back to it.

You'll really love the second one if you haven't played it yet. :p It's noticeably bigger than the first.l

I played Block Defense for the first time today and hated it.

How can you hate tower defense games?! You suck at it, don't you?!

Jeez. I am getting lost in this Wind Temple. I think I have been in every room the game will allow me to at this point but there is a red door that wont open for some reason. What a brain bender this seems to be.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm nearing the end and the loading screens have stopped. Seems to be the same for someone I know.

Anyone get the last 2-3 pages? Maybe in NG+?

I'm afraid to look up the answer myself for fear of spoilers, but could any of you kind souls tell me how many hits it takes to book the
Dark Knight
? It's taking absolutely forever, and it'd be nice to have some kind of reference.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
ok this is my first negative note on the game , every thing was super awesome , got all orbs and went to the final tower , now I am in the last part of it , the game take a dump with some dumb traditional ideas from other JRPGs ( very long final Dungeon , old bosses return again and again , fight numbers of bosses in a row , forced use of some items..ect ) I fucking hate JRPG ( and Japanese action games ) because of shit like this , game was awesome till they decided to pull a full uninspired old crappy Japanese design in the last temple.

now I lost the desire to beat the game , but will give it another chance since I am so close from the end ( I still have RDR and Alan Wake unopened because the game was so much fun , but last part is complete and utter shit ).

will post full rant later.

Johnas

Belfast said:
How can you hate tower defense games?! You suck at it, don't you?!

I knew that would guarantee at least one quote. :lol In all honesty playing it here was the first time I had ever played one, and yes I did suck in the one round I played.

I tried the Blockout game for the first time yesterday also, did pretty good at it. Played plenty of that before though.

Totobeni said:
ok this is my first negative note on the game , every thing was super awesome , got all orbs and went to the final tower , now I am in the last part of it , the game take a dump with some dumb traditional ideas from other JRPGs ( very long final Dungeon , old bosses return again and again , fight numbers of bosses in a row , forced use of some items..ect ) I fucking hate JRPG ( and Japanese action games ) because of shit like this , game was awesome till they decided to pull a full uninspired old crappy Japanese design in the last temple.

now I lost the desire to beat the game , but will give it another chance since I am so close from the end ( I still have RDR and Alan Wake unopened because the game was so much fun , but last part is complete and utter shit ).

will post full rant later.

Ugh... are there rest stops in between?

Top Bottom