• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

Katana_Strikes said:
Wut?! Game's not that difficult at all. Dungeon 5 was the most taxing due to the way the switches work, but really that's the difficulty cieling. The last dungeons a fucking walk in the park. Once you learn the movements of the bosses, they really are a cinch. I've perfected all the bosses so far up to the last dungeon (as I haven't finished it yet). Get a good sword and take some heart and magic jars with you and the game isn't a problem. If you have the dungeon portal activated, you can always easily teleport straight back there.
I "know" the pattern for the fire temple boss, but one little mistake fucks me up. God Sword is too good. Maybe Ill go back to the game sometime and get the fire shield.

Oh man, what a stroke of luck! I managed to get both the Blue Dragon AND the Crystal Slime booked within 5 minutes of each other. Now I just need to figure out how to catch that stupid cloud...

The cloud that one is easy. Go to the upper left section of the world map. In that location you can kill clouds easily or book it.

I just began my Small block farming on the bonus Gold Rush tower defense game. Thanks to the guide in Gamefaqs it's easy to get 2 mini blocks every 30 minutes.

35 more blocks to go. 18 more Gold Rush.

Ballistictiger said:
The cloud that one is easy. Go to the upper left section of the world map. In that location you can kill clouds easily or book it.

I just began my Small block farming on the bonus Gold Rush tower defense game. Thanks to the guide in Gamefaqs it's easy to get 2 mini blocks every 30 minutes.

35 more blocks to go. 18 more Gold Rush.
I haven't gotten there yet. It's still black. I'm guessing I need the longshot to get there, but I have yet to find it.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I've just gotten to the water temple section where I need to hit a bunch of bullseye targets with arrows and I'm finding my 15 arrow limit is holding me up. Am I correct to assume I need to explore the overworld for quiver expansion to get past this part? Trying not to spoil this game with cheats, but I'm hoping I'm on the right track.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Ugh... are there rest stops in between?

Yes there are 3. One before the last boss and one every 2 floors after the ground. TBH this dungeon was enjoyable and not at all hard or tedious. There are cut down versions of their original counterparts. The bosses are a little more tougher too. The "fight bosses in a row" is only 2 anyways but it is
the last boss

I've just gotten to the water temple section where I need to hit a bunch of bullseye targets with arrows and I'm finding my 15 arrow limit is holding me up. Am I correct to assume I need to explore the overworld for quiver expansion to get past this part? Trying not to spoil this game with cheats, but I'm hoping I'm on the right track.

I got one in a cave somewhere IIRC by paying someone. You can also get a bigger bomb sack in a few of the dungeons. TBH I never bothered with that one.

Trying to get these bosses into the bestiary is insanely hard for me. I've been trying to book the dark knight for a few days now. It says you have to hit him 70 times and i only have a single potion. Killing him without getting hit wasn't that bad. Just need to go to the dark tower after this.

Johnas

mikespit1200 said:

For arrow expansions,
it's the guy pretty close to the first dungeon that tells you to come see him after you get the bow. He will upgrade it to 99, you just have to ask him again after each time he upgrades (I think three times total). You can do all the upgrading right there in one visit if you have enough money

Brannon

YES my Bunnblade (Swdbunny, too, if you can find it) has made the cut!

BunnbladePoses.jpg

I should post my own pics, but in the meanwhile here's the download link.

http://www.3ddotgameheroes.com/hallofheroes/download/BLJM60180T001FA7F1F0362795A2E2.zip

Just finished the game. Time at about 26 hours.

Awesome game! I have only one issue with it, and that is that they certainly could've worked a bit more on collision detection.

Holy crap! So apparently there's this huge list of time-sensitive events that all have to be completed in the right order in order to get some of the swords, among other things. I totally intended to 100% this game without using a FAQ, but I'm beginning to doubt whether this is the kind of game where that's even possible, or whether the developers expected the player to look some of this stuff up. Cause...damn. I would have never figured out some of these things.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Also, I was feeling pretty proud of myself for completing the bestiary. But compared to some of this other stuff now that seems like a fairly small accomplishment...

The only one that gave me a hard time to book was the last boss until I figured out his patterns. Ever since the first battle I tried to book him. Took me about 3 tries.

Booking is definitely a lot harder then to get a perfect kill.

Ballistictiger said:
The only one that gave me a hard time to book was the last boss until I figured out his patterns. Ever since the first battle I tried to book him. Took me about 3 tries.

Booking is definitely a lot harder then to get a perfect kill.
I literally just stood underneath him the whole time and just kept hitting his legs with the book, and he couldn't reach me. The only thing I had to worry about was his fireball attack, which is really easy to block. The only boss that gave me trouble to book was the Dark Knight, since his hitbox is real screwy.

Funny my hardest was one of your easiest to book and my easiest is one of your hardest to book.

For the dark knight I just wait until he shoots his beams and hit him because it leaves him vulnerable for a second. If he blocks the attack I hit him from the back or side because he will hold up the shield for a bit.

HappyBivouac said:
Just finished the game. Time at about 26 hours.

Awesome game! I have only one issue with it, and that is that they certainly could've worked a bit more on collision detection.
I agree. Hit detection is kind of a mess...

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
HeresSomeWeapons said:
I agree. Hit detection is kind of a mess...

The hit box for your hero is a fixed size. This is by design. Even if you were to design a one pixel by one pixel speck in the character editor, your hit box would still be the maximum possible size (i.e. the full space you have to work with in the editor).

It would be a balance issue if people could create a paper thin character and avoid a larger percentage of enemy attacks, just as it would be an issue if someone made a character that maxes out one or both of the X/Y axes and was, as a result, hit far more frequently by enemies.

AtlusAram said:
The hit box for your hero is a fixed size. This is by design. Even if you were to design a one pixel by one pixel speck in the character editor, your hit box would still be the maximum possible size (i.e. the full space you have to work with in the editor).

It would be a balance issue if people could create a paper thin character and avoid a larger percentage of enemy attacks, just as it would be an issue if someone made a character that maxes out one or both of the X/Y axes and was, as a result, hit far more frequently by enemies.
I'm just not a fan of shielding attacks and having them still hit me... e.g. one or two of the Dark Knight's attacks

I block directly with the shield. I make sure to have the arrow or attack hit the center of the shield. I guess that's my way of compensating for the hit detection.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
well..on the Shit Tower..

[RANT]

so the game don't take itself seriously until the final part , when they decided to do a traditional Japanese style finale and fuck everything , as I said before the game was sweet , simple and parody with fixed stuff from the old Zelda/JRPG games , but after you have the orbs the devs thought it's an great idea to pull a " boring " JRPG crap.

first they force you to fight unbeatable foe ( why ? ) , with all serious shit Story crap, guys remember when this game was a parody ? and the Dark Tower is pure and utter ugly piece of expired shit , boring , long , part of it are actually copies ( as fucking lifted from the other dungeons , what is the fucking point here ? ) with the old bosses again and again ( again why ? what the fucking point of this crap ).

after two fucking hours of dying, healing , backtracking , and boring shit I did before many time , you have the magnificent JRPG Japanese Action games trend of multi-bosses in a row in the final fucking battle , fuck you Silicon Studios you ruined the game for me you fucking design noobs , thank for remind me why I hate JRPGs buttholes.

this shit , this recycling bosses crap , recycling parts of dungeons in the final part of the game might be a tradition in JRPG and Japanese action games , but I fucking hate it , because it's ridiculously stupid and boring as hell , funny thing is the game avoided all the old school mistakes till the Dark Tower then it shat in it's pants.

the reason I LOVE Folklore and Demon's Souls is because these two games "evolved" and moved on from this stupid and dumb Japanese old school design and both don't have this final dungeon recycling and boring shit.

3D Dot Games Heroes is a great great game that ruined completely by the amazingly terrible final stage.

smh@ Silicon Studios.

[/RANT]

Johnas

Finally decided to wrap this up today, I wanted to beat the game once before tackling Super Mario Galaxy 2. I'd say it's roughly a 6/10. Not quite as great as I imagined.

Totobeni said:
after two fucking hours of dying, healing , backtracking , and boring shit I did before many time , you have the magnificent JRPG Japanese Action games trend of multi-bosses in a row in the final fucking battle , fuck you Silicon Studios you ruined the game for me you fucking design noobs , thank for remind me why I hate JRPGs buttholes.

Are you complaining about the final battle having two bosses? That's pretty standard in these types of old games. It wasn't even that hard, and you can warp straight back to it if you lose. I agree about having to fight all the regular bosses again, but I find it hard to complain about the final battle. Especially as cool as the last boss looks.

Totobeni said:
first they force you to fight unbeatable foe ( why ? )

What are you referring to here? I don't recall.

Just beat the game too. I wasn't really a fan of the last dungeon or the final boss battles. I had the odd situation of dying about 5 times in a row on the final, final boss but then deciding to go back and get the hero shield and refill health bottles. Then I beat him without even moving or taking any damage. I healed up after the first battle so my sword would be full. As long as your sword is long enough you can just sit back and attack non-stop, while holding the block button, and letting off just to block whatever comes your way. It took me about 30 seconds after I figured that out. Really cool game overall. It definitely wore out its welcome by the end but I did beat it, so that says something for me.

Totobeni said:

I agree about the Dark Tower...took me a few hours to get through there and was at times frustrating and way too long and drawn out. Wanted to get it over with ASAP.
A lot of those dungeon gimmicks I wanted to never see again. Never. Thanks to the Dark Tower I'm kind of burnt out on 3DDGH for now, will be playing through SMG2 before returning to 3DDGH.

However, the Dark Tower, and all dungeons in this game, are pretty brilliantly crafted and designed. A lot of things that make them work with the puzzle gimmicks and all really put more thought into it than you think.

Don't know how the hell I'll manage to do it in From Mode or even Spelunker.

Johnas said:
Are you complaining about the final battle having two bosses? That's pretty standard in these types of old games. It wasn't even that hard, and you can warp straight back to it if you lose. I agree about having to fight all the regular bosses again, but I find it hard to complain about the final battle. Especially as cool as the last boss looks.

Haha, really? The last boss is literally just
Ganon with an extra set of arms
. Which I guess is sorta cool, I suppose...

Johnas

HeresSomeWeapons said:
Haha, really? The last boss is literally just
Ganon with an extra set of arms
. Which I guess is sorta cool, I suppose...

Eh, I guess. He reminded me more of an amalgamation of older DQ bosses than that. At any rate, he looked a lot cooler than the rest of the game's bosses, imo.

JudgeN

God damn it I can't beat the first block circuit game, best time is 20.32 sec but I don't want to continue the game till I do, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
In the final temple now...they appear to be
following the Mega Man route and making you fight all the old bosses again which is a big fat MEH in my book...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Costanza said:
Is this game worth $20 + $10 GS credit back?

it's very great game ( way better than every other 2D Zelda imho ) ,worth every penny.

Johnas said:
What are you referring to here? I don't recall

first time you face
the Dark Bishop
it was short and nothing hard but completely useless and waste of time.

Is there a website somewhere that has compiled a list of all the 8/16-bit references in the game, ala Kill Bill fanatics? I loved this link but it only lists references in the loading screens.

Dungeon 5 is pissing me off. I HATE
cycling between two different perspectives to advance. So fucking frustrating getting to one end of the dungeon only to realise you have the wrong switch active.
RAGE.

poweld

I just finished temple... 5? I believe? The one with the switches and
dragon
. I'm newly invigorated to finish this game! Really enjoying it a lot :)

Reached the dungeon 5 boss at last... but OH MY GOD, how many hits does it take for this bastard to go down? I have a technique down, but it's taking forever..

I really hated Dungeon 5 (well the Fire one). That's the only dungeon that if you die, you have to do the dungeon completely again just to activate 1 switch.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
JudgeN said:
God damn it I can't beat the first block circuit game, best time is 20.32 sec but I don't want to continue the game till I do, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

It's why I've stopped playing the game. The stupid requirement for all the swords to get my Platinum just kills the game for me.

Yes, yes, I know "part of the problem" but come the fuck on. Mini-games should be nice diversions. NOT FUCKING REQUIRED FOR 100%

rainking187 said:
I'm expecting to get this tomorrow, just wondering about how long is this game?

It depends on how many side-quests and optional activities you partake in. You could finish it in as little as 10-15 hours if you only do the main temples. Add on everything else, and it can go as high as 30+ i'm told. If you want trophies, that figure only goes higher.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
rainking187 said:
I'm expecting to get this tomorrow, just wondering about how long is this game?

I finished it in 26 hours ( doing many but not all of side quests ) , going for monsters/swords hunt and doing mini games it will add tons of hours I guess.

Haunted

I just lost some of progress from yesterday because my save file doesn't appear? The newest one is from two hours earlier, although I'm absolutely positive I saved my progress before quitting yesterday (via Start -> Save). I had all the 10 signposts and everything, now I don't know how many of those I visited on that save. You can't check which ones you already visited, right?

*sigh*

Puts a serious damper on my motivation, think I'll shelf this for a little while (have enough other games to play as is), although I enjoyed most of what I played so far. Great Zelda homage, even with tons of timed/missable sidequests and shitty minigames.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
The more I played this game the more I disliked it. The racing mini-game REALLY took a lot of the remaining enthusiasm I had for this game out of me. I'm hoping to pick it up again sometime in the future and finish it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
ICallItFutile said:
Getting to the third dungeon is a pain in the ass. Doesn't help when I run into a dragon who rips me to pieces.

The third one is
the Desert Temple
, right? I didn't have any problems getting there. Are you having trouble navigating the quicksand-labyrinth? Just
walk between the cacti
and you'll end up where you need to be. I can't figure out how to get to all of the treasure chests in that area, though...

But yeah, dragons randomly appearing can be a real pain!

I have spent many hours trying to book the black Knight, mostly because I hate getting to that temple; it takes forever. I have the first 4 bosses perfect beat and booked but the dragon is giving my issues. I can also tell I'm going to spend way too much time on the mini games here. I played block defense for hours last night just to leave the last knight and miss getting the perfect pass.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Got all the bosses fairly quickly actually, I just did it the first time I fought them but none really gave me trouble, two tries at most.

Haunted

I really can't understand people spending so much time on the minigames. Except for the short n sweet Dash Circuits, they suck. Tower Defence and Breakout are extremely slow, boring and tedious. Add to that the difficult to achieve no miss/perfect challenges to actually get to the good rewards (100Gol, lol) and it's just bad game design.

Also, they have absolutely nothing to do with the main gameplay mechanics, which is a big no-no when you successfully want to ape Zelda game design. The minigames there can always be considered training for the actual game (shooting arrows (from horseback), flying minigames, rowing down the river, bomb throwing, fishing) - while the Breakout and Tower Defence in 3DDGH are completely detached from the rest of the game. Makes me want to play them even less.

By far the worst part about this game, and understandable that a large part of the criticism is focused there. The classic items, overworld exploration and dungeons are so well done, it makes the bad parts stand out even more.

I made the mistake of pre ordering this from Best Buy online...it didn't get shipped until this week. Hopefully I will have this game soon enough!

Top Bottom