• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

Owensboro

Scythesurge said:
I made the mistake of pre ordering this from Best Buy online...it didn't get shipped until this week. Hopefully I will have this game soon enough!

Yeah, me too. Mine just finally shipped on Tuesday. Considering how long it took them to do that I was really afraid this was a super limited print game. Also, I was feeling like an idiot when I went to a local FRY's last week and saw 2 copies on the shelf. I wanted to buy it so bad. Stupid Best Buy gift certificates not being just straight cash!

Just wanted to say that Totobeni's description of the Dark Tower is scarily accurate. Seriously let's the game down. The bosses are actually harder and take even longer to kill..

Teknoman

Scythesurge said:
I made the mistake of pre ordering this from Best Buy online...it didn't get shipped until this week. Hopefully I will have this game soon enough!

lol you and me both. Preordered back in May, and even Amazon managed to get SMG2 here by today.

Narpas Sword0 said:
no they're not. upgrade your hero sword and get the hero shield and the last dungeon is a joke.

Yep it's piss easy. The bosses may be a bit more ferocious but being prepared with the right equipment and they aren't a problem. Not sure why people are finding the game so difficult. Wouldn't say I was brilliant at games... particually in this genre but this game aint that hard.

I really enjoyed the last dungeon.

The mini games are a nice diversion from the main game and reward you bonus'. I really liked the Tower Defense, though the menu placements left a lot to be desired.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
RoadHazard said:
The third one is
the Desert Temple
, right? I didn't have any problems getting there. Are you having trouble navigating the quicksand-labyrinth? Just
walk between the cacti
and you'll end up where you need to be. I can't figure out how to get to all of the treasure chests in that area, though...

But yeah, dragons randomly appearing can be a real pain!

Thanks. I was actually very close to the temple, but I managed to miss one turn.

Where do you get the hookshot? Second dungeon? I can't seem to progress anymore in the Third Dungeon without it. :\

Narpas Sword0 said:
no they're not. upgrade your hero sword and get the hero shield and the last dungeon is a joke.
Yeah, I just did this and it's now a lot easier. Got a couple more empty bottles too so i'm packing 3 potions.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Just wanted to say that Totobeni's description of the Dark Tower is scarily accurate. Seriously let's the game down. The bosses are actually harder and take even longer to kill..
Upgrade.

I just blew through the tower like nothing.

EDIT: See you did it. :)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
dallow_bg said:
Upgrade.

I just blew through the tower like nothing.

difficulty is not the problem , it's not "hard" I never said it hard in my post , but it's fucking stupid , long and boring, you should end your game with awesome last dungeon in style not copy/paste from old ones.

you have the light magic or whatever they should designed the last dungeon for that not only the first fight with the last boss.

Just finished the game. Really good stuff.

It captured the retro Zelda vibe flawlessly with a gorgeous presentation and some excellent chiptunes (Crossing the Wasteland, Escaping the Forest, The Goddess's Spring, Klovis Volcano, The Legendary Hero's Theme, The Forest of No Return, Desert Temple). Silicon Studios absolutely nailed the look and sound of the game, and I reckon i'll still remember it fondly in many years time. In an era of brown and piss filters, there really is nothing else on HD consoles that looks as rich or colourful. In terms of the language used, it felt suitably 'game-y' - it wasn't afraid to poke fun at itself with lines such as "LIFE UP GET" and the constant references to 3D. All the little homages to other old games were also neat (and kudos to the translation team for keeping it intact).

Silicon Studios also successfully emulated the gameplay of the original Zelda - it pretty much plays exactly the same, albeit with better controls and some minor tweaks to the combat. In fact it's so similar, you even have access to a Hookshot! Of course, sticking so close to the 'original' formula is a bit of a double-edged sword - I loved it, but at times it did feel extremely archaic. Examples are no lock-on system for arrows which made them completely redundant, and having to stand still while you beat things with the sword (unless you charge blindly in one direction like a fool). It's all part of the appeal though, and I doubt anyone would want it any other way.

Typical of the era, the game was also challenging. I liked how the game gradually got harder as it went along, but there were times when it become a bit too much - the Flame Temple in particular was a real sore point for me. The switch mechanic was intelligently planned out (it must have taken a lot of effort to get it working as well as it did), but ultimately it was rage inducing. I wanted to cry bitter tears when I reached a critical point with the wrong one active. I also absolutely hated the
Dragon
boss - once you finally get the technique mastered it's easy, but oh so time consuming if you're ill equipped. This is the same story with the Dark Tower - unless you have the Hero Sword and Hero Shield + plenty of potions, you are probably going to have trouble. That section was a particular low point anyway due to the uninspired recycling of old dungeons.

I guess you could say the biggest downfall of 3D Dot is its inconsistency towards the end. With these spikes in difficulty and the haphazard final dungeon, the game felt a little cheap. They even force a fetch quest on you (that shit should be optional at all times). You could argue that it's another thing "reflective of the era", but some things do cross the line into tedium. Frankly, it felt like it was trying to eke as many hours as possible out of the main adventure, but it's pointless when a) there is so much extra content worth doing and b) multiple playthroughs are greatly encouraged. It's a total contradiction.

Overall: an enjoyable, pretty and highly recommended game if you liked the 80s.

7/10.

Shit, I was trying to add the first boss to the beastiary earlier, and I did and then he killed me like two seconds later. Since I'm trying to beat the game without dying I had to do the whole fucking thing over. Goddamn.

jiggles

Banned
On my way to the third temple now and I'm loving it. The combat can be a bit fiddly at times, but pretty much any time I'm gotten hit has been my fault, through lapse of concentration or just getting cocky.

I spent an hour or two creating my hero too. He looks a little familiar, though. :D

1zb6h46.jpg

2w3981x.jpg

Can someone help me with the hero creation? i need help in making a briefcase with money falling out of it :lol

EDIT - pretty please i rented this just to make a character and take pictures of it, i don't even want and care to actually play this! :lol

TheSeks said:
It's why I've stopped playing the game. The stupid requirement for all the swords to get my Platinum just kills the game for me.

Yes, yes, I know "part of the problem" but come the fuck on. Mini-games should be nice diversions. NOT FUCKING REQUIRED FOR 100%

eh, they're not required to beat the game.

They're required to "platinum" the game, which means mastering EVERYTHING. I don't see why you have a problem with this.

TheSeks said:
It's why I've stopped playing the game. The stupid requirement for all the swords to get my Platinum just kills the game for me.

Yes, yes, I know "part of the problem" but come the fuck on. Mini-games should be nice diversions. NOT FUCKING REQUIRED FOR 100%

You have to do EVERYTHING to get 100%?????

That's crazy, I wonder who came up with an idea like that. Personally, I think you should only have to complete 84% of a game to 100% it.

Haunted

jigglywiggly said:
I spent an hour or two creating my hero too. He looks a little familiar, though. :D
haha, nice!

I rotated through Link, Arthur (GnG) and Quote (Cave Story) in my playthrough so far. Excellent feeling. :D

God's Beard said:

That's crazy, I wonder who came up with an idea like that. Personally, I think you should only have to complete 84% of a game to 100% it.
:lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
God's Beard said:

Brutal. :lol

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
In the final temple now..

-Been refighting all the bosses again, and its been tiresome. Just beat the dragon so i guess my next stop is the final boss. They needed to have warp panels in here before every boss not every other one. Case in point...its quite a hike if you die AFTER beating the water boss again all the way to the next one. Little irritating things like that shouldnt happen in an otherwise very fun game.

Now that im almost done, i really notice that the hit detection with your sword is sometimes way off. I also get annoyed when you are against a wall in a dungeon (when wall is above you) and an enemy is coming at you from the sides, even though i KNOW im pressing to the left or right before i swing my sword, my guy will instead just stab the wall above me and ill take a cheap hit.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
God's Beard said:

:lol :lol

Take That Block Defense!
I finally got perfect on all 5 levels. It wasn't that hard in the end but I'm not great with tower defense games, so I had a few slip past me until I figured out the right way to play. The funny thing is that you can eat every level with only arrow towers if you wanted to; you just have to save enough money.
Here's the set up I had when I finished the last level. No one even came close to clearing the left side of the level.
BlockDefense.jpg

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Ok, I'm stumped. How do I get past those scraggly trees in front of the wind temple? I've combed the overworld and talked to every npc and I still have no idea. I upgraded the rusty sword from the guy at the inn. The only thing I can think of is I missed an item in the flame temple. I have a feeling that's it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
mikespit1200 said:
Ok, I'm stumped. How do I get past those scraggly trees in front of the wind temple? I've combed the overworld and talked to every npc and I still have no idea. I upgraded the rusty sword from the guy at the inn. The only thing I can think of is I missed an item in the flame temple. I have a feeling that's it.

Yeah you must have since there is an easily missable item there:
Flame rod

mikespit1200 said:
You get a magic wand that shoots flames in the Flame Temple.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I've played MANY tower defense games (South Park LGTDP, Desktop Defense, Pixel Junk Monsters, Pirates vs Zombies, geoDefense, geoDefense Swarm and Bloons Tower Defense) and Block Defense is one of the most challenging I've played. I beat the first area, but the second one repeatedly kicks my ass. >.< I figured I'd finally play it before I complete the final dungeon. I've spent hours trying with no avail. Any tips?

Cruzader

Banned
I wish FROM would port the Tower Defence mini game for PSP or something....I could see myself playing it all the time.

No lie guys, me and my friend spent like 2 hours just playing the TD minigame after watching Avatar on saturday!!!:lol

Also not surprised The Seks is raging about some lame trophies. You cant complete/enjoy the game because of some trophies no one but you care about? Damn.

Well I'm on the Flame temple on Splunker mode. Splunker I swear is a parody of mario. All those jokes from the sages and etc are pretty humorous.

Tower Defense, save your money and your bonuses at the end of that round will rise up depending on how much money you are holding and what % is the bonus. That's the key to making Tower Defense easy as hell. Excluding the Bonus Tower Defense though.

Crisis

Banned
Guys any tips on how to get out of the water temple (the one where the
giant snake eats Lee[/QUOTE])? I have most of the temple explored but there's a room to the right of the main hall that the grappling hook can't reach.

Cruzader

Banned
Have a question on the 2nd dungeon:
I beat the boss(Giant Bee) and there is still a key Im missing to access a red locked door all the way on the right of the map but cant find it. My Q is...did I forget to check an area(doubtful) or will I be coming back to open it later in the game?

Thanx

poweld

Cruzader said:
Have a question on the 2nd dungeon:
I beat the boss(Giant Bee) and there is still a key Im missing to access a red locked door all the way on the right of the map but cant find it. My Q is...did I forget to check an area(doubtful) or will I be coming back to open it later in the game?

Thanx
Right, you come back later.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Gah! I spent 3 hours trying to get a perfect score in the desert tower defense that I stumbled upon. Don't think I've ever pumped that much time into a minigame before. :lol

Manmademan said:
eh, they're not required to beat the game.

They're required to "platinum" the game, which means mastering EVERYTHING. I don't see why you have a problem with this.

God's Beard said:

I think the problem is not that you need all the swords to get 100%, but how freaking impossible they made it to get all the swords. I mean, come on...if you don't talk to just the right person at the just right time, your entire playthrough is boned. And there are many such time-sensitive people like this that need to be spoken to in order to get all the swords. Without a FAQ, this shit would be absolute hell to accomplish. Not to mention the number of blocks it costs to get all the Block King's swords.

The very least they could have done is let you keep your swords in NG+.

AtlusAram said:
The hit box for your hero is a fixed size. This is by design. Even if you were to design a one pixel by one pixel speck in the character editor, your hit box would still be the maximum possible size (i.e. the full space you have to work with in the editor).

It would be a balance issue if people could create a paper thin character and avoid a larger percentage of enemy attacks, just as it would be an issue if someone made a character that maxes out one or both of the X/Y axes and was, as a result, hit far more frequently by enemies.

I know I'm late in this reply but:

I completely understand this. That's not where my issue lies. There are several times when, even assuming every object is a square tile, my sword would get randomly stopped or I would get hit by something that I shouldn't have. This was particularly an issue in the Aqua Temple boss, but also just at certain times you could be standing next to a wall, facing along the wall and try to use your sword and have the sword go nowhere even though there's nothing in its way.

In any case, I fucking love the game. Just a bit of a complaint I had to clarify.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
God's Beard said:

I shouldn't have to bend over backwards to get a sword that is required for 100%, so your sarcasm joke post is broken. But thanks for trying.

Doing 20.02-23.05 on the first dash race circuit when they want you to torture yourself to get below 20.00 for a sword is enough for me to go "fuck this shit." Sorry, but I can't be assed to be tortured like that.

but how freaking impossible they made it to get all the swords. I mean, come on

This. Oh and totally forgot about the missable time-sensitive people. That's also some huge bullshit.

loosus

Banned
So I got this game.

Wow. I knew everyone said it was a rip off of Zelda, but...I was not prepared for this. :lol Seriously, if you threw Link in it, you wouldn't know! In fact, a lot of the puzzles I know how to do because I have played Zelda. I am fucking serious.

I have only completed the Grass Temple, but I was already getting kind of tired of the game. :lol The dungeon was a lot longer than I felt like completing, I guess.

Top Bottom