• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

29oq0cm.gif

PERFECTION

Donkey-Deer Wagon ROBdam
5f566x.png

androvsky

nskinnear said:
It's not likely to change, but I wouldn't say a 360 version is completely off the table. This comment was made back in November:
http://www.andriasang.com//e/blog/2009/11/07/3d_dot_game_heroes_on_360/

More recently, in March.
Since the middleware is cross platform, how come you didn’t make an Xbox 360 version?

If people are waiting for an Xbox 360 version it’s not going to happen. It’s not a problem with technology, it’s the strategy of the publisher.

Teknoman

canova said:
why is this game so hyped? is it just because it's cute?

Old school Zelda style game with a unique graphic style in HD, a catchy soundtrack, character editor, and tons of homages to classic 8bit and 16bit games.

And its probably still riding on the Demon Souls wave.

canova said:
how the heck do I figure the character's head, eyes, nose, mouth, etc?

What do you mean?

Wow I'm listening to the music on Youtube from the link in the OP and it's awesome. Sadly I won't be getting it at launch as I just bought Fragile used on Ebay and Bayonetta from Kmart, and I'm getting Galaxy 2 at launch.

iratA

Love the OP.

I want to import this so bad, but by the time it gets to me I'll have only a small amount of time with it until RDR is in my machine full-time.

Might still jump yet, I love those retro tunes.

canova said:
why is this game so hyped? is it just because it's cute?

all the makings of a great FROMSoft RPG.

Bow down.!

Honestly though I didn't realize how time-consuming and difficult making a cool looking character would be.

Those of you who only have a 360 (or, those like me who cannot afford to buy 3DDGH at launch) should check out Breath of Death VII on Indie Games. It's only a dollar and it should satisfy your need for a humorous throwback RPG.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
as much as i want this, im not buying it anymore after finding out today europe gets raped again

The MSRP is $40, i was going to preorder ir untill i notices EVERY store has it for either €47 up to €55!

THATS 70 DOLLARS for a $40 game!

so i decided to stop supporting this shit. it needs to stop. atleast should have made it €40 (and even that is rape if you really think about it)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
MechaGodzilla said:
and I have and will keep doing but it's nice to support companies who appreciate quality games.

if it's just about "supporting" good dev , buy their PS3 games but don't buy the system , it's easy.

I bought many SEGA games on the DS and I don't have a DS for years now , did it just to support SEGA
I gave the games to my sister's kids tho

Tiduz said:
as much as i want this, im not buying it anymore after finding out today europe gets raped again

The MSRP is $40, i was going to preorder ir untill i notices EVERY store has it for either €47 up to €55!

so i decided to stop supporting this shit. it needs to stop. atleast should have made it €40 (and even that is rape if you really think about it)

blame Greece

BeeDog

Tiduz said:

Just order the game from a UK shop then. My preorder will only cost €28.

GREAT OP Willy. Some pretty nice ideas in there. Good thing you made the official thread instead of me, I forgot all about it. :lol

Well I've had the JP version of 3DDGH since November at release, and I must say this - in my personal top 10 of this generation so far, possibly top 5.
Buy. This.
(the soundtrack is truly incredible. These are some of the best composed songs in gaming I've heard in awhile, because unlike many modern games that can just use some generic orchestrated-esque forgettable soundtrack, this must rely on a more simple-beat run kind of music, making great melodies)

Can't wait to pick up the English version next week.
Take a hike, Lost Planet 2.
Guess Atlus couldn't (or chose not to) get out a Collector's Edition in time. Would've bought 2 copies. (it would probably become as limited as the Demon's Souls US Deluxe Version)

I love this game so much, I'm going to attempt to get the Platinum in both the JP and English version. (I'm about 55% in the JP version)
Am I crazy or what? :D

Paracelsus

Totobeni said:
blame Greece

It's the same crap everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised to see the game selling for 49€ here (Italy). After all this is where they had the courage to sell stuff like XEdge, Disgaea 3 and Last Rebellion for 65€.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Tiduz said:

I'm getting it for 419 SEK (lowest Swedish price as far as I know), which is about €43. Yes, that's too much, but it's much lower than most new games (which usually cost around 600-650 SEK = about €62 - €67).

So, €43 is about $54.50. But then there's the Swedish sales tax of 25% (always included in the price), and taking that out of the equation brings the price down to €34.40 = $43.64. Not waaay more than the $US MSRP (which doesn't include sales tax - but then again, sales tax is much lower in the US than in Sweden, even nonexistent in some states).

Tiduz said:

Would you please use the next game you plan on buying as an example of this behavior?

3DDGH is something you kind of don't want to miss.

You can probably find a lower price than your local retail MSRP on Ebay if you're so determined about saving a little.

lljride

I got all excited this morning since Gamestop shows the game as Now Shipping vs Coming Soon, but there are no copies available in my area and it's kinda late now to order online. Should be interesting to see if anyone that ordered through them receives it this weekend/Monday.

legbone

are we even sure this game is officially street dated? i remember a couple of years back when gamestop got in a game early but it wasn't street dated. i got it that saturday instead of the following tuesday. i cannot for the life of me remember what game it was but it was a smaller title if i remember right. wishful thinking i know but damn i really want to play this.

edit: might have been top spin 2?? i cannot remember.

lljride

Good question, it might not be. I'm trying to remember the last game that I don't think was street dated (Bayonetta maybe?), but I don't know what the status was on GS's website.

joesmokey

I completely forgot this game was coming out on Tuesday! I won't be able to play it the first week, have to wait for the week after :(. Using SSFIV Amazon credit on this though so it'll be the best $26.99 ever spent :)

Went to preorder this today and the gamestop rep started asking me all these questions about it.

Dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

DMPrince said:
what did they ask?

"What's this game like?"

"Do you think the 3D will have a big effect?" ...yeah I dunno either.

"Can you tell me what you've heard about it?"

"I never played the first Zelda game. What's that one like?"

The only questions they didn't ask me was if I wanted a Game Informer subscription and if I wanted to save 10% by getting the strategy guide.

I am so tired of this genre of game getting such short shrift from critics.

Look, just because there are not ten billion games like this one every year, doesn't mean that every game that comes out needs to be labeled a Zelda rip off.

It is really ridiculous that FPS games don't get this treatment just because they all ripped off Halo's shield recovery and the grenade, melee, and shooting triumvirate. Those are all clearly inspired by Halo, but because a billion games have ripped them off, apparently it is totally cool now and doesn't need to be complained about simply because it is has been borrowed so much that it is now a a feature of the "genre."

Meanwhile, if only two or three games copied" then it is a sin. Why should reviewers even care about the idea of "who made the game" when reviewing it? Does game suddenly become more fun because it is made by the company that made the other "Zelda" games? Why the hell does it matter who made it when it comes to the play experience? Why does the title on the box matter? If Epic literally made the game called "Halo 2" by copying what Bungie did in the first game and merely called it something different, would it suddenly be a terrible game because "they just copied Bungie's Halo"? Whereas since Bungie made it, it suddenly is a super awesome sequel?

Lawyers for these multimillion dollar companies have concerns over stuff like copyright. Your job as a reviewer has nothing to do with defending these companies. It is even more ridiculous when there is clearly no law being broken but you still feel the need to "defend" the intellectual property of a big company due to some twisted moral principle. Stop acting like a goddamn shill for big company's IP. Your job is to play games and talk about how good they are regardless of what label is on the box or what company made it. Is the game really good? Then that is all that is important. If you just keep privileging the company's whose game is influential and act like only they really have the right to employ the concepts that worked well/were influential, then you are basically helping to create a monopoly where only four of five companies are morally allowed to make games. Stop this shit.

DMPrince said:
what did they ask?

People asked me about Klonoa on Wii when I picked it up. They also asked me how other games were. It's surprising how many people at GameStop are not gamers, but they don't hire people for the knowledge of games, they hire people who know how to sell shit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
RelentlessRolento said:
I feel old now

Don't. I'm 20-25 and have never touched the Zelda/Link series except once or twice. They just didn't appeal to me. *shrug*

I'm really hoping 3D.GH's gameplay works for me. With the comparisons to Zelda, I'm really leery (and I preordered because of the art-style and throw back to 8-16 bit) though.

Zelda 1 is a required play IMO.

The clones are decent as well: Neutopia 1 & 2 as well as Golden Ax Warrior. There's probably some others but those three titles are the most blatant errh similar.

No NES/VC? Just grab Zelda Classic.

Big Ass Ramp said:
Do you think Zelda 1 would still be as impressive now as it was then?

I don't have to think because I'm still playing the game even 20+ years later.
Course it isn't for everyone and unlike all future Zeldas the original gives you nothing to work with. You get your sword in the first cave you enter but other than that you're completely on your own and the only advice is engrish babbling old men who live in the middle of nowhere.

Aside from that the combat mechanics are still excellent. It's kind of limiting at first since you can only move in four directions but otherwise it holds up very well.

Big Ass Ramp said:
Do you think Zelda 1 would still be as impressive now as it was then?

It is not an easy game because it does demand precision, and it also requires you to be willing to randomly burn bushes and bomb stuff just to find where to go next.

It was largely built upon the philosophy that it would be a "social" game in that the way to progressed would be talked about between 12 year olds in middle school everywhere. If nothing else, you can certainly admire its ambition give thant it was an early NES game.

In short, the finding out where to go in the overworld can be really annoying if you aren't very patient or willing to use a FAQ. The dungeons, however, are great.

KanZolo

yes. it is still an amazing game. played it when i was younger and didnt progress but played it reccently and i cant beat the last dungeon. awesome game. still holds up. wish more games were like it to this day

edit:
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Went to preorder this today and the gamestop rep started asking me all these questions about it.
Funny, i work at gamestop and tell every person with a ps3 about it

vocab

I hope this game turns out to be fantastic. Can't wait till next week. Also, hopefully Spelunker mode doesn't disappoint.

Top Bottom