• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

yeah I never played much of Zelda 1 other than when I'd go to a friends house who had an NES (I didn't). Never spent time with it till last year, and I do agree it holds up well even though I have no idea what to do after I beat a few of the dungeons.

luffeN

Finished the first dungeon yesterday. The game comes with an optional install if not already known. The install screen makes you smile. After the intro sequence when you get to control the character for the first time, I could not really believe that the game has started. Some may not like the graphical style but in my opinion what they try to show they do so in perfection. The walking animation, the surroundings and everything it just looks so damn nice. You can choose from 12? or so premade characters, not sure right now. I took the assassin. You can upgrade the sword in width, length, strength and add some special attacks which are currently locked. The character is controllable via digi pad or analog stick.

somesplace

Neo Member
EternalGamer said:
I am so tired of this genre of game getting such short shrift from critics.

Look, just because there are not ten billion games like this one every year, doesn't mean that every game that comes out needs to be labeled a Zelda rip off.

It is really ridiculous that FPS games don't get this treatment just because they all ripped off Halo's shield recovery and the grenade, melee, and shooting triumvirate. Those are all clearly inspired by Halo, but because a billion games have ripped them off, apparently it is totally cool now and doesn't need to be complained about simply because it is has been borrowed so much that it is now a a feature of the "genre."

Meanwhile, if only two or three games copied" then it is a sin. Why should reviewers even care about the idea of "who made the game" when reviewing it? Does game suddenly become more fun because it is made by the company that made the other "Zelda" games? Why the hell does it matter who made it when it comes to the play experience? Why does the title on the box matter? If Epic literally made the game called "Halo 2" by copying what Bungie did in the first game and merely called it something different, would it suddenly be a terrible game because "they just copied Bungie's Halo"? Whereas since Bungie made it, it suddenly is a super awesome sequel?

Lawyers for these multimillion dollar companies have concerns over stuff like copyright. Your job as a reviewer has nothing to do with defending these companies. It is even more ridiculous when there is clearly no law being broken but you still feel the need to "defend" the intellectual property of a big company due to some twisted moral principle. Stop acting like a goddamn shill for big company's IP. Your job is to play games and talk about how good they are regardless of what label is on the box or what company made it. Is the game really good? Then that is all that is important. If you just keep privileging the company's whose game is influential and act like only they really have the right to employ the concepts that worked well/were influential, then you are basically helping to create a monopoly where only four of five companies are morally allowed to make games. Stop this shit.

One of the best posts I've read in this forum.

Screw the critics on games like this. All I need to do is look at the gameplay. Hell I can replay A Link to the Past and still rave about it.

The people, shops and towns have been giving me a huge Dragon Quest vibe over Zelda.

Also, this game should just be immune from 'ship day syndrome'! My finals end that day, I have no interest in waiting 24hrs.

Teknoman

BobTheFork said:
The people, shops and towns have been giving me a huge Dragon Quest vibe over Zelda.

Also, this game should just be immune from 'ship day syndrome'! My finals end that day, I have no interest in waiting 24hrs.

Have you heard the "Travel arrangements" theme? 100% Dragon Quest.

Teknoman said:
Have you heard the "Travel arrangements" theme? 100% Dragon Quest.
The look and sound is totally DQ to me (except the zelda-like theme from all the commercials) and the game play is old Zelda. There are many references and parallels in this game, I wish they didn't just mention Zelda over and over.

Can't believe people are all up in arms over the critics' scores. The lowest score I've seen is ~60, metacritic average is at 79.

Apparently, the lowest scores were for keeping the flaws of retro games, not for being a Zelda clone. The Zelda clone aspect is the part of the positive part of most reviews.

Regardless, I'm interested in this game as it is.

gburgess10 said:
Can't believe people are all up in arms over the critics' scores. The lowest score I've seen is ~60, metacritic average is at 79.

Apparently, the lowest scores were for keeping the flaws of retro games, not for being a Zelda clone. The Zelda clone aspect is the part of the positive part of most reviews.

Regardless, I'm interested in this game as it is.
I didn't even know there were low scores. I've only seen 8.5 and up but that's reading. I don't go over to mega review sites anyways.

God, after watching the GB walkthrough, I'm so glad there's a Zelda clone that focuses on exploration to find dungeons and solve puzzles with hardly any hand holding. Brings a smile to my face.

EternalGamer said:

Look, just because there are not ten billion games like this one every year, doesn't mean that every game that comes out needs to be labeled a Zelda rip off.

It is really ridiculous that FPS games don't get this treatment just because they all ripped off Halo's shield recovery and the grenade, melee, and shooting triumvirate. Those are all clearly inspired by Halo, but because a billion games have ripped them off, apparently it is totally cool now and doesn't need to be complained about simply because it is has been borrowed so much that it is now a a feature of the "genre."

Meanwhile, if only two or three games copied" then it is a sin. Why should reviewers even care about the idea of "who made the game" when reviewing it? Does game suddenly become more fun because it is made by the company that made the other "Zelda" games? Why the hell does it matter who made it when it comes to the play experience? Why does the title on the box matter? If Epic literally made the game called "Halo 2" by copying what Bungie did in the first game and merely called it something different, would it suddenly be a terrible game because "they just copied Bungie's Halo"? Whereas since Bungie made it, it suddenly is a super awesome sequel?

Welcome to the next generation. It it's not first person, it's not original.

Coverly

Thank the maker for this thread. I didn't know what this game was until 10 mins ago. It's now preordered.

I was looking forward to Lost Planet 2 next week, but now I'm a bit more hyped for this one. I have a friend who *loves* the original zelda, he's going to bust some sort of nut when he hears about this one.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have a confession. The first Zelda I played was Ocarina of Time. It wasn't because I didn't own an NES (I had a ROB the Robot NES!), but it was because at the time, I was into sports games and action games. However, my top two gaming experiences are still the time I played Zork on my Apple IIe and the time I played OoT. I have certainly played some amazing games over the last 30 years, but I have always wished I had experienced the 2D gems that are the Zeldas on NES and SNES when they came out. Sadly, for whatever reason, the graphical appearance of the games just seemed like too much to overcome for me. I have never been able to get into these games after playing the likes of Zelda:OoT. This is why 3D Dot Game Heroes both concerns and excites me. The excitement is that it is going to give me a Zelda experience I never had. However, my concern is that if this game's true appeal is nostalgia, then I fear I will miss most of the appeal due to never playing the originals.

onken

Only got a 6 in Edge :( Shame really, it's a fantastic game though I can appreciate it's not for everyone.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
onken said:
Only got a 6 in Edge :( Shame really, it's a fantastic game though I can appreciate it's not for everyone.
Typical reviews. It's not for everyone (like a shooter is) but it's still charming fun with old school game play.

eXistor

I can't wait to finally play it, I've been fantasizing about this game for a long time now, when it was first revealed I thought it was the greatest thing ever! It's almost here!!

EternalGamer said:

Lawyers for these multimillion dollar companies have concerns over stuff like copyright. Your job as a reviewer has nothing to do with defending these companies. It is even more ridiculous when there is clearly no law being broken but you still feel the need to "defend" the intellectual property of a big company due to some twisted moral principle. Stop acting like a goddamn shill for big company's IP. Your job is to play games and talk about how good they are regardless of what label is on the box or what company made it. Is the game really good? Then that is all that is important. If you just keep privileging the company's whose game is influential and act like only they really have the right to employ the concepts that worked well/were influential, then you are basically helping to create a monopoly where only four of five companies are morally allowed to make games. Stop this shit.

Incredible post.

And this is NOT the kind of game you want to read reviews about. They seem to be coming up with some stupid excuses to lower the score.

For something as unique as this, just buy it and experience it yourself, going into it with a clear mind. Tears of joy will happen.

i like this game a lot, but come on, it is a barefaced zelda rip-off/homage/whatever you want to call it. that's why it's good, but also why someone might not dig it.

WillyFive

345triangle said:
i like this game a lot, but come on, it is a barefaced zelda rip-off/homage/whatever you want to call it. that's why it's good, but also why someone might not dig it.

Only because people are too scared to make games in the same genre as Zelda, giving the impression that the genre = Zelda, and thus any game not named Zelda in the genre makes it a rip-off of Zelda.

-PXG-

Who gives a shit about reviews anyway. Do your own research and buy games off your own intuition, not off someone who is paid to "write" about them.

Gomu Gomu

-PXG- said:
Who gives a shit about reviews anyway. Do your own research and buy games off your own intuition, not off someone who is paid to "write" about them.
I knew I was gonna buy 3D dot since the day the first screens thread was made here.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
EternalGamer said:

citizenkaneclap.gif

Willy105 said:
Only because people are too scared to make games in the same genre as Zelda, giving the impression that the genre = Zelda, and thus any game not named Zelda in the genre makes it a rip-off of Zelda.

i actually got that impression from the flying firebreathing 8-bit octopi, but yeah...

let's be fair here; the game entirely trades on its similarity to zelda. it's not something it hides, it's a legit and specific homage. we're not talking about okami or darksiders or something which is inspired by structure, we're talking about direct and obvious lifts designed to appeal to fans of the games they were lifted from. and that's okay!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
from reading some of the below 80% reviews listed in metacritic , I guess I know now why this game bombed completely in Japan.

the game instead of taking the heavy story contents of 16-bit RPGs it was 8-bit lite to it's bone , so it might felt very empty , they should have focus to put more stuff into it so instead of making it 8-bit Zelda style game in HD , hey should have make it 16-bit style Zelda in HD with the feel of 8-bit.

maybe I am wrong and it bombed in Japan for some other reasons but I don't care , this baby is still day one for me.

Come on guys, it IS in fact a hommage to Zelda, that's the way Atlus developed the game with implementing as much imitation to Zelda as possible (ie. Master Sword, Dungeons, Story etc.).

If you don't see why it's a copy of Zelda you're obviously doing something wrong.

theultimo

vodka-bull said:
Come on guys, it IS in fact a hommage to Zelda, that's the way Atlus developed the game with implementing as much imitation to Zelda as possible (ie. Master Sword, Dungeons, Story etc.).

If you don't see why it's a copy of Zelda you're obviously doing something wrong.
Its a homeage to Zelda yes, but also a homeage to all 8 bit RPG's. But does this make it bad? Did anyone bash Bionic Commando: Rearmed because it was just a homeage to Bionic Commando?

vodka-bull said:

Atlus didn't develop the game.

Teknoman

vodka-bull said:

Its not straight zelda. The dungeons, secondary item types, story? Sure. But the character designs and animation styles, as well as some of the soundtrack come from the likes of 8-bit/16-bit Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc.

Its old school console RPGs in general, Zelda included.

theultimo said:
Its a homeage to Zelda yes, but also a homeage to all 8 bit RPG's. But does this make it bad? Did anyone bash Bionic Commando: Rearmed because it was just a homeage to Bionic Commando?
I guess there's a slight difference between a homage and a remake, but besides that your point is so true. It's not a bad thing if a game got some influences by another great game.
Its not straight zelda. The dungeons, secondary item types, story? Sure. But the character designs and animation styles, as well as some of the soundtrack come from the likes of 8-bit/16-bit Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc.

Its old school console RPGs in general, Zelda included.
Yeah sorry that I didn't mention that it's not only Zelda, of course Silicon Studio (cheers, ShockingAlberto) was inspired by other games too, the loading screens are a proof of it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Teknoman said:
Had no idea the game bombed in japan...

iirc from MC thread it did 12,000 first week even Infamous sold more than it in Japan that week.

andymcc said:
i wouldn't say it's indicative of the game's quality. great games bomb in japan pretty frequently.

unlike very "Western-style" game like Demon's Souls or Folklore , this was "classic/retro style RPG/Zelda clone that did one of the worst number ever on PS3 in Japan , the retro style games do well in Japan , there is must be something wrong with it that let Japanese player avoid it.

if any Japanese Gaffer or MC expert can shed some light on this and why the game failed there and why Japanese gamer didn't like it I will be very thankful.

Teknoman

andymcc said:
i wouldn't say it's indicative of the game's quality. great games bomb in japan pretty frequently.

I know the game looks great and its a definite purchase for me, but im just surprised something like this bombed. Maybe it was the difficulty?

Johnas

Could be somewhat due to the lagging popularity of Zelda in Japan in recent years. I know this game is styled like one of the older classic games versus the new ones, but hearing "Zelda-like" could have been enough for some. Plus, it's retro-themed, but not necessarily retro-styled in the strictest definition. I've never seen a game with this type of look, and honestly the first thing I think of is building blocks over "2D pixels gone 3D".

Doesn't matter either way since it's coming to NA. Knowing it has old Zelda plus DQ references/influences is a complete lock.

Hopefully I can preorder it somewhere tomorrow, I never did. Definitely want to grab a copy on Tuesday.

Totobeni said:
unlike very "Western-style" game like Demon's Souls or Folklore , this was "classic/retro style RPG/Zelda clone that did one of the worst number ever on PS3 in Japan , the retro style games do well in Japan , there is must be something wrong with it that let Japanese player avoid it.

if any Japanese Gaffer or MC expert can shed some light on this and why the game failed there and why Japanese gamer didn't like it I will be very thankful.

It could have just been lack of promotion, although I don't really know how big a publisher FROM are I get the impression that they're pretty small. And it's common knowledge that sales aren't an indicator of quality so I don't know why you're trying to insinuate it is. Sin and Punishment 2 only sold 9,000 in its first week, with a bigger publisher and on a system with a larger install base, it must be truly terrible.

Bebpo

Banned
Totobeni said:

Same reason Classic Dungeon only did about 10k. It's a small niche game. Low budget game, low budget marketing, small otaku audience, new IP. No way it was going to do more than about 30k lifetime at best.

Sales also have very little to do with whether Japanese gamers "like" a game. The majority of sales are done in the first few days before anyone has even played it and there is no word of mouth. Word of mouth only affects the legs of games and....most Japanese console games don't have legs. Sales have to do with making a game for a big audience and marketing it well (and having a known property).

Zyzyxxz

Well the game is coming out Tuesday!

Hoping I'll have it on delivered on that day according to Amazon.

Are they usually good with release date delivery.

Struct09

Zyzyxxz said:

If the game doesn't show up on release date, it's very likely the fault of the carrier, not Amazon. I've never had any issues with Amazon's release date delivery.

Struct09 said:
If the game doesn't show up on release date, it's very likely the fault of the carrier, not Amazon. I've never had any issues with Amazon's release date delivery.

Lets see if mine makes it to me by tomorrow. Just ordered it this morning with release date delivery.

No offense but since GS is likely going to call tomorrow the 'ship date' and not have it until Wednesday, I hope everyone has to wait until then.

Chorazin

Zyzyxxz said:

If you paid for release date delivery, you'll have it tomorrow.

Can't wait to get my copy from them too!

Top Bottom