• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

jetsetfluken said:
What? To think even GAFers are still reliant on reviews and impressions to decide if they buy it or not...make up your own mind. Don't be so naive.

(and seriously, screw Eurogamer and their pessimistic, soulless, robotic observations on almost everything)
I'm sorry, but what? Of course people are still dependent on stuff like that. No one has a bottomless supply of cash to do otherwise.

Picking mine up later today. I usually don't pre-order, but it was a nightmare finding a copy of Demons Souls in store without pre-ordering. I really haven't read too many reviews, but I loved Zelda 1, so this seems like right up my alley. Even if I don't like it's only 40 bucks.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I'm sorry, but what? Of course people are still dependent on stuff like that. No one has a bottomless supply of cash to do otherwise.

I guess I was too vague. What I was trying to say is the "if I read this and think I won't like it, I'm NOT BUYING IT!" mentality. I mean, really? They won't even rent? It's such a shame.

Here's hoping 3DDGH excels beyond the weaker JP sales. Seems there is a lot more hype for the western release.

jetsetfluken said:
I guess I was too vague. What I was trying to say is the "if I read this and think I won't like it, I'm NOT BUYING IT!" mentality. I mean, really? They won't even rent? It's such a shame.

Here's hoping 3DDGH excels beyond the weaker JP sales. Seems there is a lot more hype for the western release.
I've been turned off by a game with one review/impression before, and similarly I've been turned on (tee hee) with one, too. Hell, I just saw the Giant Bomb Quick Look, and I was hooked. It is possible to see things you don't like in the first articles/reviews you read, but turn around later.

jetsetfluken said:

Renting is not a option in my country. Anyway it was the gameplay video that turned me off. It looked pretty. But the gameplay... That ridiculous sized sword, the awkwardness when fighting and trying to dodge. I just couldn't see myself playing it for more then a hour or so.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
PuppetSlave said:
Renting is not a option in my country. Anyway it was the gameplay video that turned me off. It looked pretty. But the gameplay... That ridiculous sized sword, the awkwardness when fighting and trying to dodge. I just couldn't see myself playing it for more then a hour or so.

The huge sword is your bonus for having full health (just like shooting/throwing your sword is the bonus in the original LoZ); if you get hit once it reverts to a much smaller size. Also, it's not that huge until you've upgraded it quite a bit.

:lol
Spoiler:
There is a From Cave that has several references to Demon's Souls. Strangely there are two long tables in the back that with a sign that reads "Development Canceled" in front of them.

Teknoman said:
Best Buy.com has the game listed as backordered.

And so it begins. Something tells me this isn't going to get a huge amount of later shipments and become a future 'uncommon to find' title.

If you are interested in this game, I suggest picking it up now.

Baha

I've got a question about the 1st dungeon:
How do I get the key for the room below the room before the boss? I beat the dungeon and got all the keys but I'm 1 key short for opening that room. Am I supposed to do something in the room with that cryptic message about banishing the darkness?

Baha said:
I've got a question about the 1st dungeon:
How do I get the key for the room below the room before the boss? I beat the dungeon and got all the keys but I'm 1 key short for opening that room. Am I supposed to do something in the room with that cryptic message about banishing the darkness?

Later on in the game (about mid-way through) you'll find a man in an inn that sells different colored keys. You also find these special keys in dungeons in optional chests, rarely. In each dungeon there are 1 or more different secret color key rooms.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
DMPrince said:
Since item is new they don't refresh that page fast enough. more than likely it's still in the stock room. just give them a call.

EDIT: Atlus posted a video. "Mini Game Rap". 3D Dot Game Heroes "Mini-Game Rap" Vignette
I went to Best Buy at lunch. They had 0 in stock and 0 en route but 18 were listed as ordered. I will use my $20 credit from Red Dead Redemption and order this from Amazon next week. I will be patient. :)

atomsk

Party Pooper
cosmicblizzard said:
Anyone on the East Coast get it yet that didn't order from Amazon or is this just the "ship date" for retailers?

picked up mine today from gamestop in central jersey

depths20XX

Picked my copy up at Gamestop during lunch break.

Love the cover art for some reason. Did they ever say why exactly it was released at $40? Seems like such a deal. Is it because of game length or is it just Atlus being awesome?

depths20XX said:

Love the cover art for some reason. Did they ever say why exactly it was released at $40? Seems like such a deal. Is it because of game length or is it just Atlus being awesome?

Atlus being awesome. There is much more charm and replayability in this game than most retail games out there.

Now there is NO excuse not to buy it. :D

MvmntInGrn said:
:lol
Spoiler:
There is a From Cave that has several references to Demon's Souls. Strangely there are two long tables in the back that with a sign that reads "Development Canceled" in front of them.

Not sure if mentioned, but once you take control of your own character there is a npc in the castle that says something to the effect of:

"I've got this demons game . . . Wanna trade me? It's too hard!"

Good stuff

RoadHazard

Gold Member
depths20XX said:

Well, it's developed with a comparatively small budget, and I think people also may view it as a budget game (if only because of the simple visual style and mechanics). They probably feel it wouldn't sell at $60.

Got through the first two dungeons and I dunno..a little too much been there done that so far.

Seems like the perfect setup for a "create-a-dungeon" mode but no dice.

Jet Grind Radio! said:

I'm with the others. I don't get how reviews sway opinions. I look at previews and some videos and if it looks good I get it. No need for impressions or reviews when I know what I personally like. I've barely read any reviews my entire life and have only ended up with one dud game. And no, I'm not made of money, just work an average job.

Brute Force

Jet Grind Radio! said:
what? Being hyped for a game because of the screens and video and then letting some douche you will never meet convince you you were wrong is ridiculous. No offense to that guy but seriously you were ready to buy it up until the release day and then THAT crap kills it? Not being reliant on fluff from click generating websites has nothing to do with endless money, you have seen countless videos of the game, decide on your own.

Glix

Just picked this up on lunch. I was clueless about the price, so that was a very very nice surprise. Can't wait to get home from work, and squeeze some of this in around Lost!

Maybe I'm just not as jaded about reviewers/reviews. I just find that reviews can touch on certain issues without looking any further. Hell, it could be completely on the fence one way or the other, and have a review push it over.

Also, got the game and am installing it now. The load screen is awesome.

-PXG- said:
Four trophies already? Damn.

There are basically 3 you get within the first 2 minutes of gameplay.

Slice and Diced!
Defeated a foe with a sword.

Defender!
Guarded an attack.

You Made a Friend!
Made a character model.

I'm sure the hidden trophies will be nuts.

jiien

Got my copy in the mail a little while ago, just beat the first dungeon. Awesome game.

Also, my manual smelled of fresh ink. JUST PRINTED. Sooo nice that they sealed in that smell. Mmmm.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
jiien said:
Got my copy in the mail a little while ago, just beat the first dungeon. Awesome game.

Also, my manual smelled of fresh ink. JUST PRINTED. Sooo nice that they sealed in that smell. Mmmm.

Pro sniffer tip: hold the manual approximately 12" from your face, binding away from you, and using your thumb, quickly page through from front cover to back. This strategy rapidly displaces the air toward your nose, creating optimal smelling conditions.

the little things people say in this game are funny. this one person says "I got this demons game. wanna trade? it's too hard!" lol

I've tried making a character but it seems hard. And the look is fantastic except for the blurring and stuff. I wish you could turn that off.

Chris R

Lord Helmet said:
Can't wait for this game to show up from Amazon. :D
This!!! Sucks that I probably won't get it until Monday due to free shipping :( But that is fine because I want to Plat FFXIII and finish my Zelda mini-marathon :D

demonkaze

This just arrived today (love shopto, not out until friday here) along with Lost Planet 2. Only played the first dungeon but i'm loving it, only problem being I have too many games to play at the moment what with Lost Planet 2, Alan Wake (on friday) and Monster Hunter 3 taking up way too much of my time!

Top Bottom