• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS owners, what are you currently playing?

How far are you?

Just got to Lorule. Did most of a dungeon there, where you have an NPC follow you. Got them almost to the top, exited a door by accident and when I went back the NPC was gone. After a lengthy WTF moment, I finally found them...all the way at the bottom of the dungeon ><

Guess I'll try again tonight.

LakeEarth

Just finished ALBW, will get back to Pheonix Wright next. I played the first mission of the new one, and it really dragged. I'm hoping mission 2 takes the training wheels off and just lets me play.

Wiz

Bravely Default demo and Pokemon battles here and there.

Want to play SMTIV and Ace Attorney DD soon.

technically dragon quest 6. But haven't played it for a while.

Kinda burned out on DQ though. It's my 4:th DQ on the 3DS.

Checking this thread for ideas on something new to play.

Rnr1224

Nothing at the moment. I really should get back to finishing SMTIV. But after trying the AA5 demo, I want to play the other games now!

Guru-Guru

Banned
Just finished New Super Mario Bros 2. This game is the definition of mediocre. There honestly wasn't one moment that stood out to me during the 8 hours I spent playing it. I know it is supposed to be a homage to the past, but god was it boring. I didn't really care for collecting coins, as the game was easy in the first place. I guess it also doesn't help that I finished Mario 3D Land recently, which was excellent.

I'm going to pick up Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem: Awakening next.

maxcriden

Just got to Lorule. Did most of a dungeon there, where you have an NPC follow you. Got them almost to the top, exited a door by accident and when I went back the NPC was gone. After a lengthy WTF moment, I finally found them...all the way at the bottom of the dungeon ><

Guess I'll try again tonight.

Ah, yeah. That was tricky, when they go back to their original spot. Happened to me a few times. I thought that was a neat dungeon on the whole, though. That was the one I did first, too. You definitely have a lot of really cool and clever dungeons ahead.

I downloaded the Bravely Default Demo last night. This is actually the first time I attempted to play a Turn-based RPG aside from Pokemon.

Turns out it's a total blast! I was confused about what to do at first with in the combat, so I watched some videos until I understood.

Are there any other similar games to it?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Soul Hackers.

It's good but I'm a little bit disappointed. I know that it's a remake but boy does it look like a old game.

Majestad

Banned
Soul Hackers.

It's good but I'm a little bit disappointed. I know that it's a remake but boy does it look like a old game.

Soul Hackers isn't really a remake. The game is a slightly enhanced port. It does feel dated in some parts (presentation, level design). But I still thought it was a fantastic experience.

stuminus3

Just finished Cave Story (the eStore version). It was magnificent.

Currently playing Sonic Lost World. I really like it. I don't know why it's considered the lesser version because it's a hundred times more enjoyable than the random unplayable shitfest that is the Wii U version. No kidding, the Wii U version is the worst game I've bought since Turok Evolution. But the 3DS version is great.

I really want to play Kid Icarus: Uprising, but am kind of apprehensive due to what I have heard about the controls. My hands cramp after playing just about anything on the 3DS, so I am not sure if Kid Icarus will be a good idea..

Get it. I'm lefty and played with the standard controls and it wasn't too bad. Even with the pseudo handicap I loved the game from start to finish.

Owensboro

I just randomly picked up a copy of Final Fantasy Theatrhythm because I was in the mood for something to just zone out to and have loved Final Fantasy's music.... and It's kind of awesome. Unfortunately, it's created this itch where I feel like I really should be playing a Final Fantasy game that I never beat, and it's entirely based on the music. I had Final Fantsy 8 in my Steam Cart, just hovering over the "Buy" button for around 4 hours straight, entirely based on how much I was loving "Man with the Machine Gun". I have hated FF8 since I tried it way back when it came out, completely despising the draw system because I'm OCD as hell about it, and still kind of wanted to give it a chance.

Long story short, I had a friend talk me out of buying it because I've also never played Final Fantasy X and the HD version is coming out in two months. I have a feeling I'm going to only want to play one Final Fantasy in a 6 month span, so I might as well make it one of the ones that is pretty normally liked and not horribly divisive. Maybe some other time FF8 (but I think I'd play 12 before you)

Anyway, I digress. Final Fantasy Theatrhythm has been a completely awesome surprise that I didn't expect to like as much as I do (I hated the art style at first). I'm now enjoying grinding through songs, dark notes, leveling up my preferred party, and trying to unlock some characters. It's been a great game for 10 minutes breaks to play a few songs during downtime, but I really wish I could have downloaded it from the e-shop. It's perfect for short bursts inbetween longer games, but I only really ever carry the system with one cart in it around and not my other games :( . I've got Luigi's Mansion just sitting there waiting to be played, and I can't stop trying to beat Dark Notes! What the hell is wrong with me!

KTD_Box_art_JP_2.jpg

Kirby.

Have been flitting between Shin Megami Tensei IV and Link Between World's Hero Mode.

Been trying to get into the Bravely Default demo but it just ins't grabbing me like it is other people.

Spyro: Skylanders Adevnture.

I heard great things about the the 3DS version; saw the starter set for $40 new, at Gamestop, and jumped on it.

It's pretty excellent. Great graphics and 3D; has a Diablo like flair (albeit simpler) that keeps me hooked. I'm enjoying the game so much that I picked up a Skylander of each element + expansion sets and ordered the PS4 version of SwapForce (both the first 3DS game and Swapforce are dev'd by Vicarious Visions).

I'd been so against the business model and never gave it a passing glance. I still don't like the business model, but I like the game.

Also playing Disney Fairytale adventure - ordered off Amazon for $15. It's totally a kids game (has invasive hints)....but damn, the production values, 3D effect and little graphical details are insane!

It's weird I'd consider ever playing a game like this at my age; except that as a small boy that's grown into a gay man, I'd always loved Disney Princesses. My favorite being Ariel, I saw The Little Mermaid in theaters when it originally released - I'd been a fan since.

The game is entirely simple - but what boy (or girl) who loved the dolls, films and such - as a kid, wouldn't love this?

I was curious about the game, it's enjoyable and I'll quasi-securely cop to it....thanks to watching a random CGR review that happened to be this game (how I found out about it in the first place).*

*was going through YouTube and watching a lot of CGR 3DS reviews, looking for games I hadn't played and clicked this (amongst other games') review.

Fucking twirl magic.

a link between world's: hero mode aka the demon souls of handheld gaming. seriously though, it's unfortunate that you do not get the option to play this mode out of the gate. I bought it used specifically to make my initial run on hero mode. definitely the way to get the most value out of the game (and went on media blackout as much as possible). if you're going used, try and find a copy in which the previous owner unlocked this mode and take a crack at it. guaranteed you won't be dissatisfied with the length of the game.

PS_3DS_DonkeyKongCountryReturns3D_enGB.png

This game. A game that commandeers the line between marveling my accomplishments when I get all the letters & puzzle pieces and rage inducing frustration at my inept ability to make an ape jump.

You know what? I'm loving every second of it.

Ah, yeah. That was tricky, when they go back to their original spot. Happened to me a few times. I thought that was a neat dungeon on the whole, though. That was the one I did first, too. You definitely have a lot of really cool and clever dungeons ahead.

Awesome! I think they did a really great job so far of making the dungeons require a bit of thought without being frustrating (disappearing NPCs aside). Loving the fact that it runs @ 60 fps as well, although it made playing four swords afterwards feel pretty rough.

maxcriden

Should I get Luigi's Mansion?

Loving the shit out of A Link Between Worlds after not touching my 3DS for ages.

Did you like the original? If so, yes. If not...still yes, as long as you like the idea of the game itself. It's awesome.

Awesome! I think they did a really great job so far of making the dungeons require a bit of thought without being frustrating (disappearing NPCs aside). Loving the fact that it runs @ 60 fps as well, although it made playing four swords afterwards feel pretty rough.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely waiting a while to play Four Swords. I feel like it's too soon to go back to the old playstyle and framerate of 2D Zeldas anytime soon. (The rest of the dungeons are definitely very creative and IIRC disappearing NPC-free).

maxcriden

Gaf, I need advice. I just added funds to my 3DS, and now I have to decide what to get. I'm for sure getting Dual Destinies (tried the demo and loved it), and I'm saving some money for Bravely Default. I want one more, but I can't decide between ALBW and Donkey Kong 3DS. I keep hearing how great ALBW is, but for some reason what I've seen of it hasn't grabbed me. On the other hand, a platformer like Donkey Kong could be fun, but I'm not to sure how good it is.

What say you gaf, keeping in mind I like both styles of games equally.

DKCR is incredible, my GOTY last year. If you like platformers with tons of content and a reasonable difficult curve (that eventually gets very hard), you will love it. I love Zelda too, but if you're not feeling it at the moment, DKCR is really amazing.

Majestad

Banned
Gaf, I need advice. I just added funds to my 3DS, and now I have to decide what to get. I'm for sure getting Dual Destinies (tried the demo and loved it), and I'm saving some money for Bravely Default. I want one more, but I can't decide between ALBW and Donkey Kong 3DS. I keep hearing how great ALBW is, but for some reason what I've seen of it hasn't grabbed me. On the other hand, a platformer like Donkey Kong could be fun, but I'm not to sure how good it is.

Hard choice. I wasn't hyped for A Link Between Worlds, and I bought just because it is Zelda. It ended up being a phenomenal game, and one of the best portable games ever made. As for Kong, it's quite possibly the best 2D platformer I've ever played.

One thing's for certain, whatever game you pick, it will be an excellent choice. I'd go with Zelda though.

EBE

Donkey Kong. I was not a believer. But its actually amazing, 30fps be damned.

Kickz

Enjoyinh the heck out of a Link Between Worlds. I also finally got Fire Emblem but it hasn't clicked with me and I like SRPGs... Just something about the ugly playing sprites, looks worse than Disgaea sprites, (Ofcourse battle sequences are nice).

Derrick01

Banned
Just got over the 40 hour mark in Harvest Moon a New Beginning last night. I wasn't expecting the town building mechanic to add that much to the game but it seems like every other week in the game I'm unlocking some big new feature. Definitely like it more than HM64.

Still trying to play Kid Icarus, I like the game a lot but I can't get the controls to really click with me at times. So when I am giving my hands a rest from the cramps I am playing through Advance Wars Dual Strike. First time with any Advance Wars and it is fun, look forward to seeing what they may do on the 3DS.

Vargavinter

Still playing Animal Crossing a hour or two pet day during the day while my son watches tv. Making slow progress. :)

Just got over the 40 hour mark in Harvest Moon a New Beginning last night. I wasn't expecting the town building mechanic to add that much to the game but it seems like every other week in the game I'm unlocking some big new feature. Definitely like it more than HM64.
How is it compared to the Snes version? Or the gba version?

cube444

So guys I need some help. I've heard about the free "Four Swords" download for 3DS until tomorrow. My nieces both own a 3DS and I plan on downloading it for them on each respective unit. I was wondering what I'd have to set up on their 3DS' so that they could both play the same game of "Four Swords" at the same time.

Thanks!

Derrick01

Banned

I've only played a couple of the games before, the 64 version and I think one of the DS games which I believe was just a port/remake of an earlier game. While I don't think a New Beginning will replace the nostalgia I have of HM64, it's hard for me to argue that it's not a better game.

KHlover

Banned
Bravely Default. Already sunk 90hrs into it and have no intention to stop replaying it over and over again. It's that good (new game+ rules)

I'd like to know this as well. I liked the SNES one (even though winters were boring as fuck), but the GBA one not so much. In the latter, you had all your tools from the beginning and leveled them like in a RPG, eliminating many reasons to explore the countryside and interact with the village.
Gotta say right off the bat though, I can't stand the series' new look. But with RF4 cancelled in EU, I'm again considering this title.

Derrick01

Banned
I'd like to know this as well. I liked the SNES one (even though winters were boring as fuck), but the GBA one not so much. In the latter, you had all your tools from the beginning and leveled them like in a RPG, eliminating many reasons to explore the countryside and interact with the village.
Gotta say right off the bat though, I can't stand the series' new look. But with RF4 cancelled in EU, I'm again considering this title.

In this one the real tough part is surviving most of the first month. They chose to really ease people into the game and the result is you have almost nothing to do except handle a couple of crops. Most of the features are locked still so I would recommend maybe doing a quick gathering run through the wild areas (to save materials for later) then go to bed immediately to speed it up. You don't level anything in the game by using it, you level strictly through crafting but some of the things you can craft use materials that are locked in areas that you have to unlock, usually by building different houses that bring new people to town (usually the sprites will hide new area music blueprints in the new houses you build, that's why).

I wouldn't worry too much about boring winters. I'm in the latter quarter of winter and it takes me half the day just to get through my morning routine of crops and animals. There's plenty to do after that and I still have a decent number of new buildings and important blueprints to build. The thing I'm noticing is pretty much everything is used in some kind of blueprint at some point in time, even weeds, so you need to balance what to sell and what to store for later.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I ended up buying Fire Emblem: Awakening instead of Kid Icarus yesterday. I put 2 hours into it so far and totally forgot about how much I love SRPG's. Even though I have only played a couple hours I feel somewhat invested in the characters and story, which is an added bonus. No clue how I waited so long to get this game!

M3d10n

Batman Blackgate. It's turning out much better than I expected. I'm also slowly advancing in SMTIV. I love the game so much I spread out my sessions to make it last longer, lol.

Top Bottom