• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS owners, what are you currently playing?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Shovel Knight!

Fantastic game. And not has hard as some make it out to be. i.e. I just gave up on DKCR, but had few problems with Shovel Knight. There are some annoying spots, but checkpoints aren't too far apart and there's not pointless life system, so no annoying replaying whole levels over and over etc.

Now one could definitely make it a very hard game by destroying the checkpoints, not using relics or vigors etc. But using those it's not bad at all. I was worried about the boss rush, but it was easy since they give you a health restore item after each round.

CaVaYeRo

Re-playing The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap after ALBW enjoyment and because it's its 10th Anniversary. Next up: will give Bravely Default a try. Probably.

Any other recommendation from recent releases? Already beat lovely Kirby :)

Dsyndrome

Trying to power through Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney to beat my fourth game for July. No idea how long I have left, at the second trial day of the third case.

CaVaYeRo

Trying to power through Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney to beat my fourth game for July. No idea how long I have left, at the second trial day of the third case.

Don't tell me, I stopped AAV after second case for I have to translate (and voice-perform!) the whole game to my wife while playing :p

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Everyday.
For the past year.
Help.

Thats why I sold it after purchasing it to activate a multibuy offer. Didn't look my thing at all, but I was worried the above might happen!

Really struggling with the last few levels of Mario 3D Land. I'm collecting a few missing stars to get used to the game but it's yielding no improvement!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Re-playing The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap after ALBW enjoyment and because it's its 10th Anniversary. Next up: will give Bravely Default a try. Probably.

Any other recommendation from recent releases? Already beat lovely Kirby :)

the One Piece Red game turned out to be actually good, so I'm slowly heading towards a purchase. A portable action RPG is something I havent played for a long time

sk3tch

Picked up Bravely Default today for a business trip to kill the time on layovers.

Ditto this - and also picked up the new One Piece game to try. I have no clue what "One Piece" really is but hearing that it's a decent action RPG and the fact that it's just $30 - why not?

I picked up Kid Icarus Uprising recently and have been enjoying it. The graphics and production values are really good, and the action is very good and satisfying.

Managed to finally get past S8-3 on Mario 3D Land. In fact Special World 8 is complete, aside from that one last little bit. I'm counting it as finished for now, and if I ever get bored in the future I'll come back and complete what I have missed.

Now I can get back to Ocarina of Time 3D!

Kirby Triple Deluxe. Game looks a LOT better in person than through screenshots or video. Pretty fun so far.

About to start A Link Between Worlds soon too. Haven't played a Zelda game in quite a while. It will be nice.

And still playing Mario Golf because of tournaments. This game is infuriating sometimes.

Especially for that awesomely comfortable d-pad, IMO!

Am I the only one who thinks the OG DS (and GBA SP) had the best d-pad?

DukeBobby

Currently playing through some DS games I should have played ages ago. I recently finished Ace Attorney Investigations, Ghost Trick, and Professor Layton and the Curious Village. Loved all three.

I've just bought Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, so that should keep me busy for a while. I'm thinking of picking up the other Layton games too.

JeTmAn81

Mario 64 DS complete! Aw yiss. Mother fuckin' Power Stars.
The 23 final coins from around the castle & for getting 100 coins I will do another day
Amazing and joyful to play, and it holds up wonderfully well. I'm thrilled that I've finally played and completed this classic!

So you weren't thrown off by the controls, eh? I was skeptical that the lack of true analog control would really make a difference for me, but ultimately the game seemed far less responsive than the original version and far less fun to play.

MBS

Banned
Help GAFers, help.

My last handheld wad the GBA. Should i get a 3DS with it's godlike library, or should i go with the Vita for Persona 4? I want long, long games with tons of replay value.

sk3tch

Help GAFers, help.

My last handheld wad the GBA. Should i get a 3DS with it's godlike library, or should i go with the Vita for Persona 4? I want long, long games with tons of replay value.

I'd go 3DS. I have both...and I am going to be selling my Vita. I'd much rather play handheld games with Nintendo flair versus console games that have been marginalized for portability. Play Persona 4 on PS2?

VegiHam

Help GAFers, help.

There's no wrong answer. 3DS will play all DS games, Vita plays PSP games available on PSN, so just have a look at the entire (3)DS library, compare it to the Vita library and PSP digital library and pick whichever has more games you think you'll like. There's a lot of long, long replayable games on either.

Fire Emblem Awakening, Mario Kart 7 and Glory of Heracles. Fire Emblem makes me sad that I let my nephew borrow the old GBA games which he promptly misplaced and Mario Kart is absolutely amazing especially after I just finished 8 on the Wii U. Glory of Heracles I have just purchased so have not had a chance to dig in.

Help GAFers, help.

I´d say get the a 3DS XL first and a Vita later.

The entire library of the DS AND 3DS combined are just incredible.

Edit:

I´m playing Ace Attorney Investigations 1 right now. I get why people don´t like it as much as the best ones in the series, but it really isn´t bad. A tiny bit drawn out though.
Off to Turnabout Ablaze .

flohen95

Help GAFers, help.

Depends on what games you like. But if you think that 3DS has a godlike library (as you said) and a Vita would be for Persona 4, then you basically answered the question yourself.

That said, I'm glad that I got the 3DS first, but I wouldn't want to miss my Vita either. Persona 4 Golden is a really fantastic game, but I just think that the 3DS has more to offer overall (especially considering P4G is "just" an enhanced port (it is a better game than P4, but still)), so I'd go after that and then get a Vita later down a road (or used right now, they can be pretty cheap (I got mine October of last year for 126,50€ incl. some games)). But again, it's all up to the games you want to play.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, there's some great DS stuff out there for you to discover. Vita can play PSP games, but only if you buy them off of PSN, so that might be a positive or a negative depending on your opinion about pricey memory cards and digital content.

On topic: I'm currently playing Mario Golf World Tour which I bought on Monday and I pop in Fire Emblem Awakening here and there to complete the support conversation library. I also work on finishing Bravely Default and Tales of the Abyss whenever I feel like it.

Grief.exe

Help GAFers, help.

They both have pretty solid libraries right now, and the end value will be completely subjective.

You should measure up each library and see which will stack up higher for yourself. 3DS has a good amount of RPGs that could be construed as 'long, long' games (SMTIV, Fire Emblem: A, Pokemon, Bravely Default, Rune Factory 4, etc).

corn_fest

Still playing Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, for like the 30th+ hour. Christ this game is too long.
Want to move onto something good like Kid Icarus, but the sunk cost fallacy is making me want to see this out to the end.

flohen95

Still playing Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, for like the 30th+ hour. Christ this game is too long.
Want to move onto something good like Kid Icarus, but the sunk cost fallacy is making me want to see this out to the end.

I take it you don't like the game?

30+ hours is perfectly normal for a JRPG though.

Fireblend

Banned
Finally trying to beat Bravely Default.

I also bought Crashmo, Shovel Knight, Picross e4 and PW:DD's extra case DLC yesterday.

Got plenty on my plate until the Smash-aggedon.
3AQmK.gif

corn_fest

I take it you don't like the game?

30+ hours is perfectly normal for a JRPG though.

It's got a lot of interesting mechanics and ideas going for it (the best of the M&L series so far, I'd say), but it's very monotonous (Go to location -> Learn skill to traverse -> Go to dreamy version -> Learn Luiginary Work to traverse -> Repeat).
The main problem, though, is that every battle takes way longer than it should.

MBS

Banned
Thanks for the feedback guys. Well tbh, i'm more of a Pokemon guy and i really did spent thousands of hours in Blue-Gold-Ruby etc, but i stopped bothering after Gen 3. When i saw the announcement for OR/AS i got extremely hyped again so i don't wanna miss them this time. So i'll go with the 3DS and i'm gonna check Persona 4 on PS2.

So you weren't thrown off by the controls, eh? I was skeptical that the lack of true analog control would really make a difference for me, but ultimately the game seemed far less responsive than the original version and far less fun to play.

The controls in terms of stopping the character and motion definitely don't march up to 3D Mario Land, but after a few hours of use I was very comfortable with them, and I never really had any issues.

MidnightWatcher

Neo Member
Pokemon X and Animal Crossing. For some reason i stopped playing Pokemon just before the Elite Four and after about two month, i finally decided to beat them this morning. Looking forward to finishing all the post game shenanigans. Can anyone recommend any interesting things to do in the end game?

BTW Anyone interested in adding me as friend, as i personally know no-one who has a 3DS (perks of living in the UK), my friend code is 0963-1003-8345.

I needs me those Safari friends

MegaMelon

Pokemon X and Animal Crossing. For some reason i stopped playing Pokemon just before the Elite Four and after about two month, i finally decided to beat them this morning. Looking forward to finishing all the post game shenanigans. Can anyone recommend any interesting things to do in the end game?

BTW Anyone interested in adding me as friend, as i personally know no-one who has a 3DS (perks of living in the UK), my friend code is 0963-1003-8345.

Well you can now go get all the Mega Evolution stones
between 8 and 9pm
, the Looker quests (just go to Lumiose City) and then to finish there's the Battle Maison in Kiloude City which is reached by again going to Lumiose.

Inching my way through Kirby Triple Deluxe. These levels are FUN, but something is lost as I'm playing on 2DS. I am missing Gem Stones left and right, and some levels are kinda long to go through a second time. Also, I barely know the movesets to the many abilities, mostly only using the dash attack. But charm oozes throughout the game.

Xhorder

I've added you as friend. I don't own Pokemon, but I do play Animal Crossing and I would like to check out some other villages. My friend code: 2165 - 7323 - 6985

Insaniac

Fire Emblem Awakening and Etrian Odyssey 4. Gonna be absorbed in both games for a looong time till Smash comes out. Great way to pass time at work :3

Currently playing through Yoshi's New Island. Also have Kirby Triple Deluxe to play on the 3DS before Smash hits. Depending on how much time I spend with the 3DS, I may add something else as well.

scottzorus

Neo Member
Started playing through Devil Survivor Overclocked the other day and about 7 hours in I got frustrated and put it away. Now playing Zelda: ALBW and it's more of what I was looking for. I'd like to get into an Ys style game, but haven't found any as good as Ys.

maxcriden

Currently playing through some DS games I should have played ages ago. I recently finished Ace Attorney Investigations, Ghost Trick, and Professor Layton and the Curious Village. Loved all three.

I've just bought Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, so that should keep me busy for a while. I'm thinking of picking up the other Layton games too.

If you liked Curious Village, Diabolical Box is even better.

I'm getting into the swing of Kid Icarus now. I realize now that I truly, truly suck at shooters. At least in multiplayer. I managed to win a Light vs. Dark match as an angel by hiding in one spot and letting my teammates wear down the other team, since I knew I had no chance of survival actually going out and fighting. with a minute left on the clock, the other team found me and I took off running, but I evaded them just long enough to have more HP than the other angel.

deadfolk

Just finished the Bravely Default demo.

Still have (among other things) the full BD and Fire Emblem in my backlog.

Picked up preowned Kid Icarus and Senran Kagura Burst a couple of days ago, but haven't started them yet. Not sure what I'm going to do next - I have some Vita games going, and I might stick with those until SMT IV shows up in Europe at a bargain price of €20 in September!

Wish I could get some older games cheap - they're so expensive here (Ireland).

Well I'm about to start ploughing into Professor Layton finally!
How do I even go about tackling seven games (including vs Phoenix) without facing severe burn-out?
Will playing a whole game in-between each Layton be enough?
I'm currently playing Apollo Justice then I'll move across to Curious Village...

Inching my way through Kirby Triple Deluxe. These levels are FUN, but something is lost as I'm playing on 2DS.

Such a shame :(
I thought it had the most impressive use of 3D I'd seen so far.

Top Bottom