• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS owners, what are you currently playing?

Kirby Triple Deluxe and Bravely Default

I picked up these two during Best Buy's recent B1G1 sale. Just finished getting all the sun stones and beating Kirby, which I absolutely loved. Sure it's not very challenging, but its just plain fun to play, start to finish, and has the best 3D along with Mario Land and Zelda ALBW. I don't think Kirby gets enough credit for how many great, and varied, games are in the franchise: classics like Dream Land and Adventure, but also mini-game collections like Super Star, great DS titles Canvas Curse and Mass Attack and the brilliant Epic Yarn. Gotta give the pink dough boy (thing?) some credit.

Not sure when I'll get to Bravely Default considering I have FF Tactics, Tales of Xillia, and Etrian Odyssey 4 in my (J)RPG backlog... yikes. I will never finish all of these.

Usobuko

Banned
My next game after FE:A would be this

51WfpaC7SeL._SX300_.jpg

HorsemanZero4-620x.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Still Dragon Quest IV for me, which I am totally hooked on. Havent been this much in love with a jrpg since I played the DS port of Chrono Trigger like five years ago. Amazing rpg that every 3DS owner should pick up imo!

Tenumi

Banned
Why, oh why, did I have to start FE:A? It's occupying my every night until I fall asleep. Too much fun.

After I finish that... I dunno what I'll play, maybe Tales of the Abyss, maybe Pokemon Y.

I finished KI a little while ago, occasionally go back for those check boxes.

I just finished Awakening, still working on some of the harder Spotpass stuff.

I started playing Sacred Stones because I never beat it.

I'm finishing up a nuzlocke run of XY to get ready for ORAS.

ramparter

Banned
Pokemon Y

Love it so far. Ok I like most Pokemon games anyway but I really think they have done a great job. First time in a pokemon game that I enjoy the aesthetics.

Btw I think next generation should come on both 3DS & Wii U.

maxcriden

Well I'm about to start ploughing into Professor Layton finally!
How do I even go about tackling seven games (including vs Phoenix) without facing severe burn-out?
Will playing a whole game in-between each Layton be enough?
I'm currently playing Apollo Justice then I'll move across to Curious Village...

After you play CV, I strongly recommend taking breaks between Layton games. I played three in a row and loved them but definitely got increasingly burned out. I'm sure I would have enjoyed them even more spacing them out more. I'd say it depends on long each game in-between takes you but I'd say wait 3 mos at least between games to keep them as fresh as possible.

Having never played a Kirby game, is Triple Deluxe the best I can get for the 3DS?

Tough question to answer. It's a stellar traditional-style Kirby game, so I'd say it's a great entry point. If you want to try something a bit more offbeat, I'd recommend Canvas Curse (Power Paintbrush in EU) or Mass Attack.

Having never played a Kirby game, is Triple Deluxe the best I can get for the 3DS?

I agree with the above poster that Triple Deluxe is a fantastic game and a great place to start for classic Kirby. Canvas Curse and Mass Attack are both great DS games that use stylus controls and are very different than traditional Kirby gameplay. The upcoming Rainbow Curse game on Wii U is a sequel to the Canvas Curse style gameplay.

If you want to try a classic Kirby for cheap, you could download the 3D Classics version of Kirby's Adventure. It was the second game released in the franchise, back on the NES, but it came out at the end of the console's life-cycle and honestly feels more like an SNES game to me. It's aged really well and would give you some perspective for how the series developed. Honestly you can't go wrong with any of these, it's a great franchise.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished the third mansion of LM2. I'm enjoying it more than I was before, but this is not up to the original's standards for me. But I'll definitely keep trucking.

Next up I have CV Order of Ecclesia planned. Only GBA/DS CV I haven't played yet.

playing Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D right now

god I'm so bad at it, I struggle to get bronze on most of the time attacks :/

after that I'm either gonna play Bravely Default or finally get around to playing Kid Icarus.

I wanna clear up my 3DS backlog in preparation for ORAS and Persona Q

Just finished my first 3DS game, FE:A which was amazing and also one of the main reason I bought one
Team Cordelia
Now I'm currently debatting between playing Chrono Trigger, TWEWY, Soul Hackers or Senran Kagura Burst, which one should I play first ?

flohen95

Just finished my first 3DS game, FE:A which was amazing and also one of the main reason I bought one
Team Cordelia
Now I'm currently debatting between playing Chrono Trigger, TWEWY, Soul Hackers or Senran Kagura Burst, which one should I play first ?

From your wording it seems like you own all of these already, yes?
Coming off of Awakening, Senran Kagura might be a good choice. It can be a very long game if you want it to be (getting 100% completion), but in general it'll be much faster than the 3 RPGs due to being an action/hack'n'slash/beat'em'up style of game. Might be a nice departure from what Awakening was.
If you're just looking for games to play in general and don't mind following up FE:A with another JRPG, then go for one of the other three. In that case, I'd probably recommend TWEWY. Chrono Trigger is fantastic as well, but much more traditional than TWEWY (of course), so it might be more interesting playing TWEWY first. Soul Hackers is a cool game, but a first person dungeon crawler is definitely not something I can play anytime and I'd imagine it's the same way for most people.

From your wording it seems like you own all of these already, yes?
Coming off of Awakening, Senran Kagura might be a good choice. It can be a very long game if you want it to be (getting 100% completion), but in general it'll be much faster than the 3 RPGs due to being an action/hack'n'slash/beat'em'up style of game. Might be a nice departure from what Awakening was.
If you're just looking for games to play in general and don't mind following up FE:A with another JRPG, then go for one of the other three. In that case, I'd probably recommend TWEWY. Chrono Trigger is fantastic as well, but much more traditional than TWEWY (of course), so it might be more interesting playing TWEWY first. Soul Hackers is a cool game, but a first person dungeon crawler is definitely not something I can play anytime and I'd imagine it's the same way for most people.

Alright thanks I'm going to start with SKB and play TWEWY after.

After you play CV, I strongly recommend taking breaks between Layton games. I played three in a row and loved them but definitely got increasingly burned out. I'm sure I would have enjoyed them even more spacing them out more. I'd say it depends on long each game in-between takes you but I'd say wait 3 mos at least between games to keep them as fresh as possible.

Hmmm I was scared of this. It's taken me about a year to go through the Phoenix series and I'm still only on the first case of Apollo and haven't touched Dual Destinies at all.
It's gonna be a looooonnng time until I can play Layton vs Phoenix then.
Semi-lucky that I have such a big backlog I suppose!

Thanks for the info :)

Even playing the original Professor Layton trilogy spaced out, I was a bit burned out by the third game (The Unwound Future), which incidentally I never finished. However, it's been a good 3 years since I last touched the Layton games, so I'm interested in picking up The Miracle Mask while it's on sale. Should I try to play The Last Specter first?

maxcriden

Hmmm I was scared of this. It's taken me about a year to go through the Phoenix series and I'm still only on the first case of Apollo and haven't touched Dual Destinies at all.
It's gonna be a looooonnng time until I can play Layton vs Phoenix then.
Semi-lucky that I have such a big backlog I suppose!

Thanks for the info :)

Sure thing! My trick in working through my own backlog is to try to savor each game as much as I can while switching up genres and kinds of games as much as possible in order to make each game feel as fresh as possible.

playing Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D right now

god I'm so bad at it, I struggle to get bronze on most of the time attacks :/

after that I'm either gonna play Bravely Default or finally get around to playing Kid Icarus.

I wanna clear up my 3DS backlog in preparation for ORAS and Persona Q

FWIW, it's supposed to be much, much easier to get the time trial medals in the Wii version. I had similar frustrations and was told that.

Even playing the original Professor Layton trilogy spaced out, I was a bit burned out by the third game (The Unwound Future), which incidentally I never finished. However, it's been a good 3 years since I last touched the Layton games, so I'm interested in picking up The Miracle Mask while it's on sale. Should I try to play The Last Specter first?

I'd recommend it. My understanding is this second trilogy is pretty continuity-heavy in parts. I've barely played any of TLS, though.

deadfolk

I just started CV: Dawn of Sorrow. Never played more than a few minutes of a Castlevania game before, and I never really "got" it. I think it has finally clicked this time - I'm loving it so far.

Not sure I'll see it to the end, though.

RiggyRob

Virtue's Last Reward update: I've got 4/5 'endings' and one actual ending,
all on the left side of the flowchart (splitting at the first choice)
. All I can say is man, Dio is a scumbag.

Dagon

After letting it languish since Christmas, Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds has my full attention now. I'm probably about half or two-thirds of the way through and it's been excellent. I love Link to the Past and this is such an amazing sequel.

sk3tch

Virtue's Last Reward update: I've got 4/5 'endings' and one actual ending,
all on the left side of the flowchart (splitting at the first choice)
. All I can say is man, Dio is a scumbag.

Does this game compare to Snatcher at all? One of my favorite games...

Also - can you play it just fine without experiencing 999 first?

Team Cordelia

Chrono Trigger. The answer to this type of question is always Chrono Trigger (assuming you haven't played it before).

TopGun

Banned
I'm currently playing Kirby Triple Deluxe, and I'm loving every minute of it so far. The last Kirby game I've played through was Squeak Squad when it came out all those years ago. I've completed Amazing Mirror, Nightmare in Dreamland, etc and this brought me back to my early childhood so it's a joy to play now.

darkziosj

The gameplay is mostly puzzle solving and novel sections, it's kinda likda snatcher yes, you use, investigate , examine and all that stuff. Also playing 999 first helps alot since there are some returning characters and stuff.

Voliko

Started playing through Devil Survivor Overclocked the other day and about 7 hours in I got frustrated and put it away. Now playing Zelda: ALBW and it's more of what I was looking for. I'd like to get into an Ys style game, but haven't found any as good as Ys.
You'll be hard pressed to find something as good as Ys on any platform, let alone on 3DS. It's just that good!

I just finished ALBW myself. It's great to play a 2D Zelda again after a decade since MC. The wall mechanic is great and clever. There is some nice level design. The dungeons and bosses were painfully easy though... and I managed to get every heart piece as well. I think they should have scrapped the LTTP world and just came up with something new. I won't say I didn't have fun though, and collecting all 100 of those shellfish things was pretty nifty.

You probably can, but it would retroactively ruin several of the plot twists from 999, so if there's even the smallest chance you would want to play 999, make sure you do that first.

sk3tch

The gameplay is mostly puzzle solving and novel sections, it's kinda likda snatcher yes, you use, investigate , examine and all that stuff. Also playing 999 first helps alot since there are some returning characters and stuff.

You probably can, but it would retroactively ruin several of the plot twists from 999, so if there's even the smallest chance you would want to play 999, make sure you do that first.

Thanks! If I dig 999 - is the sequel more of the same just on 3DS (with the requisite upgrades that typically come)?

maxcriden

I'm currently playing Kirby Triple Deluxe, and I'm loving every minute of it so far. The last Kirby game I've played through was Squeak Squad when it came out all those years ago. I've completed Amazing Mirror, Nightmare in Dreamland, etc and this brought me back to my early childhood so it's a joy to play now.

I'm glad to hear you're digging it! You should definitely check out Canvas Curse and Mass Attack if you haven't already.

mcbradle

Neo Member
I picked up Paper Mario: Sticker Star this week after wanting to give it a go for a while. I want to finish Fire Emblem but I'm 2 hours in and haven't played it since November so I'll probably just start a new game.

NolbertoS

Been playing some VC on the 3DS. Have finished 10 NES games in the last 2 months. Just now finished Blaster Master after taking forever to kill the last boss as a kid. Will jump back to Zelda OofT when I can.

Seik

Banned
Just beat Pokemon X. Man that game was boring as shit. Hard to believe that these games are still popular.

I feel ya, but take note that X & Y are supposed to be easier than most previous installments.

Well, that's what I heard, before playing X the last Pokemon games I played were Red/Blue.

I'll check out if the remakes that are coming will be a bit harder before buying one, this time.

My suggestion would be to play online, you may find some solid challenges there.

*Goes back to Bravely Default*

Just beat Pokemon X. Man that game was boring as shit. Hard to believe that these games are still popular.

I too had to drag myself through that game. So boring. I think I got halfway through and legit dropped if for about four months. Never did that with a Pokemon game before.

Besides ease, I also think the combat is too slow for me. I found myself so bored during some battles. But I guess that might be related back to ease.

Also the utter lack of postgame content. I've had no reason to return to the game except for when I'm totally bored and feel like breeding a few pokes. Ruby from back in the day, and HeartGold on DS? Now those had some postgame. Hopefully Omega Ruby will be decent in that regard.

Top Bottom