• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$4.99 games at Circuit City in store (YMMV)

luxsol

The CCs in San Diego seem to restock and aren't holding back for Sunday.

I've been to four CCs in the county (National City, Grossmont Center/La Mesa, Point Loma, and Claremont) and saw them pretty much picked clean over the weekend. On Monday I learned that the National City CC had more games. I went to back to the CC near Grossmont Center on Tuesday and they had squat. Someone posted today that they managed to pick up Pikmin at one of the CCs in San Diego (where?), so it definitely means they're restocking clearance items.

On Thursday (tomorrow), i know for sure that the National City CC is getting in a shipment of games. Whether or not it'll have more clearance games i don't know, but I'm going over there to check.

fart

Savant
damn, i can't get down to national city before friday. can you report if they're holding back or not?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I don't have time to read the entire thread, so forgive me if this was already addressed, but: will Wal*Mart give you store credit for these games if you "return" them there? I don't really have interest in many of the games on the list (and most of those I would buy I already have) but store credit at Wal*Mart would give me a chance to buy some better games that I normally couldn't afford right now.

So yeah, will they do it? I need to know for sure, because hell if I'm going to get stuck with a copy of Minority Report.

I tell ya, I went to Nasty City on Tuesday and they didn't have shit. I work up in Oceanside and drive by the Encinitas CC everyday... but I can't bare the heartbreak of going in there and them not having anything.

I think I'll look at lunchtime, though. :)

Oh dude, Luxsol - I found Pikmin in the Clairemont Mesa CC. Of all of the ones I went to, they had the most games on the list available (but still, Pikmin was the only one I wanted)

AirBrian

Code_Link said:
Why does it say: "Pikmin - Not GC version"?Is there another version?

And what does YMMV mean? sorry...
Maybe it's either the Player's Choice version or the regular version, but not both.

And there is no Simpson's Skateboarding for GCN -- it's PS2 only.

Ristamar

human5892 said:
So yeah, will they do it? I need to know for sure, because hell if I'm going to get stuck with a copy of Minority Report.

Nope, at least not at the 2 Wal-Marts in my area. They demand a receipt now. Perhaps they're more lenient around the holidays, as I did exchange games there last winter, or maybe they finally cought on to the scheme. However, it doesn't hurt to try if you have something you want to offload. If you do, let me know how it turns out.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Ristamar said:
Nope, at least not at the 2 Wal-Marts in my area. They demand a receipt now. Perhaps they're more lenient around the holidays, as I did exchange games there last winter, or maybe they finally cought on to the scheme. However, it doesn't hurt to try if you have something you want to offload. If you do, let me know how it turns out.
I'll give it a shot -- I just walked out of Circuit City with Cel Damage and LOTR: TTT, neither of which I particularly want (I bought them solely for Wal*Mart fodder). Hopefully it works, because if not, I'll have to resign myself to a buyback from a gaming store that will give me far less money.

I'm banking on a) the Wal*Mart I plan to go to is in hicksville, and b) the people I always see working Customer Service are usually pregnant 17 year-olds who don't give much of a shit about anything.

Dave Long

Banned
Just got Shox and Fantavision at the Reading,PA CC. Another fellow was building quite a stack. They definitely did NOT restock since Sunday when I walked out with ten games.

There was also quite a stack of PS1 games on the new cardboard thingies they're using for the blowout. Is Wild Arms 2 worth playing?

:/ My Circuit City recently moved into a new, much more prominent building, and with the move they seemed to have cleared out all their old games. Where I used to be able to find multiple copies of Rez, Disgaea, Tactics Ogre for GBA, and just about every other GBA title ever released, I'm now met with only the newest of the new releases and the hot sellers. Here's hoping they're just holding the clearance games back until the sales is official.

Saint Cornelius said:
I have yet to understand why I was supposed to "see you", Gen. Wedge. ;)

But good luck in finding some games you want!
:D Don't worry, I have no idea what the mods were insinuating either.

gaaah.. had 15 dollars so i said what the heck.. grabbed tiger woods 2003, eternal ring and... AMERICAN IDOL.. woot.. gona go back in the MORNINGS now.. saw some stupid kid with megaman and summnor.. and i think disgaea... YES.. disgaea... DAMNIT!!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Dave Long said:
This list had Battle Network 3 on it at one time. Is that included? Does anyone know?

Battle Network 3 is NOT on the list. My CC had copies of both the White and Blue versions and both rang up at $14.99.... which is still a good price but not $5 good.

What I hate about this shit is I actually want these games to play, not to turn a fucking goddamn profit on ebay. I want to punch those little squirrally bastards in the nuts for doing shit like that. Excuse my french. But I feel for my mom who is the regular consumer trying to go in and just get a copy of two or three games, but some dude thinks he's a clever little punk ebaying the shit.

What happens on July 11th again? That's exactly the day I go up to Tucson for my cousin's kid's birthday. Are they restocking these games, or replacing them with something else, or what?

MoxManiac

From what I understand, some (not all) CCs started pulling the games and will put them out for the 11th. They may be restocking behind the scenes throughout the week as well.

MoxManiac

Because the deal wasn't supposed to start this early, so they're probably trying to salvage what's left so they can actually have something left for the 11th.

I believe the reason for this sale is to clear inventory for this fall's game lineup. Wario's thread has the info.

They don't care that they are losing huge amounts?

Anyway, looks good if I stop by Circuit City on Sunday morning. Maybe I can profit from this after all.

Neutron Night said:
They don't care that they are losing huge amounts?

Anyway, looks good if I stop by Circuit City on Sunday morning. Maybe I can profit from this after all.

Godfuckingdammit. Read my previous post! I swear to fucking shit I don't want to hear this stupid "profit" talk until I get all the games I actually want to enjoy and play. Don't ruin it for us innocent few just so you can make some petty cash. Get a real job.

luxsol

I went to National City today and they had squat again. I asked around and all they said "what we have is on the shelves" and that they weren't holding anything back.

Anyone having luck getting price matches at Walmart (or any other store) even though CC doesn't have games in stock in your area?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Neutron Night said:
The games I actually wanted I already paid full price for.

What a concept.

Yep, most of my games were bought at full price. This is one of the few sales I've taken advantage of (and how could you NOT?!?). I just bought a lot of games that I had interest in, but wasn't dying to get my hands on.

Ristamar

The games I actually wanted I already paid full price for.

What a concept.

If I bought every game I wanted at full price, I'd be broke, and I doubt I'd play close to 1/4 of them, if not more (I already have a sizeable backlog of titles, some of which I did pay full price). However, at 5 bucks a pop even if I largely ignore a title it's no big loss.

luxsol

robojimbo said:
I went to Walmart yesterday and tried to price match Silpheed. When Walmart called CC the first thing they were told was that they had nothing in stock and that was all they needed. The woman at the counter didn't even get the price from them. So much for that...
I bet your face was red!

Get a manager next time, I guess that was why I was able to get my stuff price matched without the games being in stock. Nothing better than to shock the employees at the counter by asking if they can price match a $50 game for $4.99.
"I'll have to ask my manager" :D

I was in my CC today and decided to take a look. Pretty much picked clean. Of course, I don't know if the games had been pulled for the Sunday circular or what.

I did get a penny MKDA though. God bless America.

If I bought every game I wanted at full price, I'd be broke, and I doubt I'd play close to 1/4 of them, if not more (I already have a sizeable backlog of titles, some of which I did pay full price). However, at 5 bucks a pop even if I largely ignore a title it's no big loss.

I don't buy THAT many games. Very few non-RPG games. Someone on RPGamer forums posted a list of the $4.99 RPGs, here they are:

Playstation 2

.hack//infection
Breath of Fire V: DragonQuarter
Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Ephemeral Fantasia
Evergrace
Forever Kingdom
Grandia 2
Grandia Xtreme
Jade Cocoon 2
Legaia 2: Duel Saga
Okage: Shadow King
Shadow Hearts
Suikoden III
Summoner
Summoner 2
Tsugunai: Atonement
Wild Arms 3

Xbox

Metal Dungeon
Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition
Nightcaster

Gamecube

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Evolution Worlds
Lost Kingdoms
Phantasy Star Online 1&2
Skies of Arcadia
Summoner: The Goddess Reborn

Game Boy Advance

Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hands
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire 2
Dokapon
Golden Sun
Lufia: Ruins of Lore
Lunar Legend
Mega Man Battle Network
Mega Man Battle Network 2
Phantasy Star Collection
Shining Soul
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis

Playstation

Alundra 2
Breath of Fire 3
Breath of Fire 4
Chrono Cross
Dark Stone
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Origins
Final Fantasy Tactics
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
Threads of Fate
Vagrant Story
Wild Arms 2

I can't believe they would actually sell GBA games for $5, the cartridge alone costs more than that! And Lunar 2, Jesus. They're really going to bleed this one.

Does anyone know if they're discounting ALL the .Hack games? I would gladly pick up the quadrilogy for $20.

Ristamar

Neutron Night said:
I don't buy THAT many games. Very few non-RPG games.

If you buy mostly RPG's, it's understandable that you'd buy less titles. They take longer to finish.

Also, I'm still making up for all the years during high school and college I didn't have money to splurge on games. :p

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Tommorow is the day, and im going back!
YOULL SEE WARIO, YOULL ALL SEE, IM GONNA COME BACK WITH ZILLIONS OF GAMES. HAHAHAHAHAAH

We're going tomorrow as soon as the store opens. After further consideration I think that my store pulled the games, or at least some of them - there were none on the shelves, and they had big "Bargain Games" bins out that were practically empty, and the few games that *were* in there weren't $4.99, they were the $14.99 or $19.99 ones. I think they're gearing up to put them out tomorrow morning.

Not sure what they'll have, of course, but I'll update tomorrow afternoon.

AniHawk

Kobun Heat said:
We're going tomorrow as soon as the store opens. After further consideration I think that my store pulled the games, or at least some of them - there were none on the shelves, and they had big "Bargain Games" bins out that were practically empty, and the few games that *were* in there weren't $4.99, they were the $14.99 or $19.99 ones. I think they're gearing up to put them out tomorrow morning.

Not sure what they'll have, of course, but I'll update tomorrow afternoon.

I think tomorrow's when the CC near me will be loading up the bins. I found one CC east of me with all its good $4.99 games picked clean, but the one near LA didn't have a bin out, just the $14.99 and $19.99 "bargain games" games like you said you saw.

AniHawk said:
I think tomorrow's when the CC near me will be loading up the bins. I found one CC east of me with all its good $4.99 games picked clean, but the one near LA didn't have a bin out, just the $14.99 and $19.99 "bargain games" games like you said you saw.
Right. If they hadn't pulled the titles, there would have been a lot of *shitty* $4.99 games in the bins. There were *none*.

Of course, this still leaves the possibility that they sold all their Disgaeas, Viewtiful Joes, etc., and then pulled the shit games at the last minute to have something to sell on Sunday. Closing the barn door after the horses have left.

Top Bottom