• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40 australian detention center workers speak out against abuse, in face of arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

While I find it great that some people have found their spines these workers are putting themselves at risk for exposing something the public has shown it's perfectly fine with.

That's a small price to pay for speaking out about children being abused.

Anyone who punishes these people in effect condones child abuse. I wouldn't want that on my conscience but it seems our politicians are fine with covering it up.

hidys

Can't believe how far we as a nation have sunk. I find it reprehensible that the majority of Australians simply do not care how we treat asylum seekers.

This is also probably the most spineless move Labor has ever made, probably in it's history. I understand why they have to embrace offshore detention but this? Allowing child rape to go unpunished is inexcusable.

Not really much of a choice if both major parties have the same stupid view.

So why do you think they hold that view?

Dead Man

It is a tough situation and abuse can not be justified. On the other hand you have to understand that Australia has to secure its borders somehow, similar policies will probably take place in Europe if the refugee crisis continues to escalate.

On the other hand? There is no fucking other hand. Even if you think detention is necessary or even good, covering up of sexual abuse has no place. Fucking hell.

The ALP were the ones who came up with mandatory immigration detention.
Indeed.

They did this in an attempt at triangulating on an issue that was first used by the Howard coalition government and protect themselves from it electorally, apparently not expecting Abbott to go this extreme. It's cowardice that led them to adopt and expand on Coalition policy and it's cowardice that's keeping them meekly accepting the terms Abbott is dictating.

Dead Man

Indeed.

They did this in an attempt at triangulating on an issue that was first used by the Howard coalition government and protect themselves from it electorally, apparently not expecting Abbott to go this extreme. It's cowardice that led them to adopt and expand on Coalition policy and it's cowardice that's keeping them meekly accepting the terms Abbott is dictating.

Yep. Spineless cowards.

Shaneus

I feel that calling the government's bluff is the only good move in this situation. As more time went by more people would be afraid to speak out.
I also have a feeling that these laws are largely intended to try and silence *individual* people on speaking out against the conditions they'd otherwise be reporting on. But having large media coverage *and* 40 people who are willing to stand up to these ridiculous, anti-humanitarian laws gives them strength in numbers.

It's a lot harder to sweep 40 people under a rug than one or two people.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed.

Pretty sure Arksy is referring to its initial implementation under Keating. That's the thing with this issue; for as long as it retains currency come election time, political parties will keep trying to score points with it. The question is how close are we to the nadir?

JC Sera

Update: Australian medical association joins protest against asylum law that can jail detention centre staff
Quaedvlieg said on Wednesday he “sincerely doubts” the 40 signatories to the open letter would be prosecuted.
“This is about the leaking of classified information that can compromise operational security or our sovereignty. It’s not about people having a right to be outspoken in the community about a range of things,” he said.
The immigration minister, Peter Dutton, said he was aware of the open letter, but that its claims were “not accurate”.

“[The act] will not restrict anyone’s ability to raise genuine concerns about conditions in detention should they wish to do so through appropriate channels,” he said.

“While the government will take action to protect operationally sensitive information, such as personal information or information which compromises the operational effectiveness or response of our officers, the airing of general claims about conditions in immigration facilities will not breach the ABF act.”

He said the ABF would “seek to investigate leaks of operationally sensitive information, however the public can be assured that it will not prevent people from speaking out about conditions in immigration detention facilities”.
oh wait theres more
Labor MP Tim Watts also denied the bill would prevent ABF officers from making disclosures that fell within the Public Interest Disclosures Act.

“All staff and contractors would have the right to report child abuse if they had raised it with their employer and nothing was done about it,” he said.

However, the act allows only for whistleblowing to media or another entity outside government in extremely limited circumstances, such as in the case of “substantial and imminent danger”.

Explaining the need for the gag laws, Dutton has said: “Every day, the department and the Australian border force within it will create, receive and use critical and important information, including intelligence and personal information. Much of this information will be sensitive and complex.

“It is therefore necessary that information secrecy and disclosure arrangements should be in place not only to protect information but also to enable the disclosure of information in appropriately controlled circumstances.”

He said the formation of the ABF meant “we are equipped to deal with future challenges and threats to our national security and financial prosperity and our borders are stronger than ever before”.

The prime minister, Tony Abbott, told a swearing-in ceremony of ABF staff they were more than just officials.

“You are guardians of our safety, our security and our prosperity,” he said. “May God bless you, may God bless your work, may God bless the country you are helping to protect and prosper.”

Labor’s immigration spokesman, Richard Marles, said the new agency would “play a crucial role in ensuring the integrity of Australia’s borders”.
Everything that comes out of that mans mouth makes me want to vomit

Well yeah, if you think that the majority of Australians aren't responsible for these policies.

I didn't say that. Just that it's hard to have your voice taken into account at the election if both major parties have the similar policies. Thus why greens votes are increasing I guess.

Why labor is behaving the way it is has already kind of been discussed in the thread.

DrSlek

I also have a feeling that these laws are largely intended to try and silence *individual* people on speaking out against the conditions they'd otherwise be reporting on. But having large media coverage *and* 40 people who are willing to stand up to these ridiculous, anti-humanitarian laws gives them strength in numbers.

It's a lot harder to sweep 40 people under a rug than one or two people.

A lawyer on Triple J just said the Immigration Minister would be a complete idiot to try and prosecute anybody for following their duty of care in this scenario....or any scenario really.

Rubixcuba

Banned
I didn't say that. Just that it's hard to have your voice taken into account at the election if both major parties have the similar policies. Thus why greens votes are increasing I guess.

Why labor is behaving the way it is has already kind of been discussed in the thread.

Greens vote declined in 2013 Federal election, attracted 8.6% of vote. They had 13.1% in 2010.

DrSlek

Greens vote declined in 2013 Federal election, attracted 8.6% of vote. They had 13.1% in 2010.

That was due to the Carbon tax fuck fest that Abbott wouldn't shut up about.
Expect to see a significantly higher Greens vote next election.

hidys

That was due to the Carbon tax fuck fest that Abbott wouldn't shut up about.
Expect to see a significantly higher Greens vote next election.

I suspect it will be higher but it won't be significant or even as high as it was in 2010.

Richard Di Natale will have to find a way to appeal to people outside of the Greens traditional voting base for that to happen.

JC Sera

I suspect it will be higher but it won't be significant or even as high as it was in 2010.

Richard D. Natale will have to find a way to appeal to people outside of the Greens traditional voting base for that to happen.
Being the only party to not vote for violating human rights is a good place to start.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Being the only party to not vote for violating human rights is a good place to start.

Most Australians simply not care, more concerned with economy.

Crikey poll tracking thing has Greens at 13%, but that could in part be helped by collapse of Palmer Party, the 'protest vote' and all that.

hidys

Crikey poll tracking thing has Greens at 13%, but that could in part be helped by collapse of Palmer Party, the 'protest vote' and all that.

I doubt there were many Greens-turned-Palmer voters in the last election. Most of them were actually former Labor voters (though I mean most in a loose sense, about 60-40) and this may very likely have swung at least 1-2 seats in Queensland (since Palmer told people to preference the LNP).

The Greens, for what ever reason tend not to do as well as the polls and most of the time get about 1-2% less than the polls predict.

JC Sera

Don't see how that will help in an election. It certainly didn't in 2013 with Rudd's PNG solution.
Saying its a good place to start, not an entire platform.

Promise to give to education, university, healthcare system, tax the rich ect ect.
Be for the people. Thats the pipe dream.

Of course I doubt thats ever gonna trump fear-mongering, and the greens suck at advertising themselves. Like the best pro greens ad was made by the gruen transfer for gods sake.

hidys

Saying its a good place to start, not an entire platform.

Promise to give to education, university, healthcare system, tax the rich ect ect.
Be for the people. Thats the pipe dream.

Of course I doubt thats ever gonna trump fear-mongering, and the greens suck at advertising themselves. Like the best pro greens ad was made by the gruen transfer for gods sake.

One problem I see is that really isn't a lists of goals and not policies which really aren't of any substance, though the Greens have been doing better at this since ~2010. It is also very difficult to sell big changes in the healthcare system as private insurance is very popular and I'm pretty sure most of their voters use it. Taxing the rich is also much harder than it sounds on paper (see mining tax campaign).

It is also worth noting that advertising campaigns are expensive and the Greens tend to take in less money than the major's but you are right in that they need to market themselves better.

Dryk

Can't believe how far we as a nation have sunk. I find it reprehensible that the majority of Australians simply do not care how we treat asylum seekers.
The majority of Australians largely don't care about anything that happens outside our borders until it starts affecting them in some way. They can't or won't see the long-term effects of leaving refugees to pile up in poverty outside the gates with that attitude.

Don't see how that will help in an election. It certainly didn't in 2013 with Rudd's PNG solution.
I still can't believe that "____ solution" has become the standard phrase in Australia to describe whichever way we've decided to round people into camps that year.

One problem I see is that really isn't a lists of goals and not policies which really aren't of any substance, though the Greens have been doing better at this since ~2010. It is also very difficult to sell big changes in the healthcare system as private insurance is very popular and I'm pretty sure most of their voters use it. Taxing the rich is also much harder than it sounds on paper (see mining tax campaign).

It is also worth noting that advertising campaigns are expensive and the Greens tend to take in less money than the major's but you are right in that they need to market themselves better.
They seem to be pushing Whish-Wilson's new role in their economic policy development team so they might actually surprise us this time.

Dead Man

Update: Australian medical association joins protest against asylum law that can jail detention centre staff

oh wait theres more

Everything that comes out of that mans mouth makes me want to vomit
The prime minister, Tony Abbott, told a swearing-in ceremony of ABF staff they were more than just officials.

“You are guardians of our safety, our security and our prosperity,” he said. “May God bless you, may God bless your work, may God bless the country you are helping to protect and prosper.”

What in the fuck is wrong with him? Jesus.

Refugees are literally being told either the guards rape them (video tape it to pass around as a sex tape) or they don't get a shower.

The response to this information being reported is to threaten jail terms for anyone who speaks out.

How is that acceptable in any way.

Can't believe they introduced the Border Force act to put people in jail just for doing their jobs (advocating for those under their duty of care). Absolutely disgraceful. Congratulations on all those who are speaking out. Good on them.

Next time the government says something about Nothing to hide, Nothing to fear, they should take a good slap and look in the mirror.

Utterly disgraceful work by both major parties. Making the reporting of human rights issues illegal is one of the most heinous acts I can think of that our government has committed since I've been alive.

UK wants to abolish the Human Rights Act. UK scumbag politicians and everyone just takes it like good little sheep..

danwarb

Right wing hate mongers, and their irrational hatred costs the country billions of dollars.

This level of abuse costs. It's done to dehumanize and punish the most vulnerable people, for no logical reason.

Spend that money developing the places these immigrants are coming from, and they won't come. But then Abbott et al wouldn't get the satisfaction of revenge and punishment they crave.

JC Sera

New whistleblower stuff
Edit: Entire 7:30 report

'It's child abuse': Australian doctor brought to tears by treatment of Nauru detainees
"I saw a six-year-old girl who tried to hang herself with a fence tie and had marks around her neck. I've never seen a child self-harm of that age before," Dr Isaacs told ABC's 7.30.
"After five days, I went home and had nightmares. I didn't expect that.
"I didn't expect to be so, um, traumatised by these people's trauma. These are people, ordinary people and we're treating them with, um - sorry, we're treating them with incredible cruelty," he said, clearly shaken and upset.
"It's child abuse. Putting children in detention is child abuse. So, our Government is abusing children in our name," he said.

Zaptruder

Banned
Even in our time, we can see this as been incredibly wrong.

Let's hope that our future selves have the wherewithal to send the crooks (looking at you Abbott, Murdoch) responsible for these human rights abuses to prison where they rightfully belong.

Of course that won't happen... but that's what should happen.

Paz

Makes me sick to my stomach that this is a real thing supported by our country at large and our government. Fuck.

JC Sera

Asylum seekers water-boarded at Nauru detention centre, Australian guard tells parliamentary inquiry
Asylum seekers at Nauru have been water-boarded and secured to metal frame beds that are thrown into the air so they crash onto the floor, an Australian guard at the detention centre has told a parliamentary inquiry.

Nauru asylum seeker rape victim refused medical treatment in Australia, family says
The family of a female Iranian asylum seeker, who was allegedly raped three months ago in Nauru, say the Federal Government has refused to allow her to be treated in Australia.

Commonwealth sued over 'negligence' of 5yo asylum seeker who lived on Nauru
Landmark legal proceedings have been launched against the Commonwealth Government over the alleged negligence of a five-year-old girl at Nauru detention centre.

Resilient

It's sad that I had to come into this thread to read those 3 headlines.

The top story in the media today is Kyrigious sledging Wawrinka in a tennis match..fucking Australia...

Jackpot

Banned
How on earth did they justify the laws in the OP? I doubt they came out and said "we want to arrest people who report abuse so we don't look bad".

Dead Man

I thought I was cynical enough to expect the government to do this shit, but the lack of reporting is breaking my fucking heart. Utterly hateful shit, and not a whisper from the government, and nothing more than that from the media.

JC Sera

I thought I was cynical enough to expect the government to do this shit, but the lack of reporting is breaking my fucking heart. Utterly hateful shit, and not a whisper from the government, and nothing more than that from the media.
Fairfax & ABC (online) have been following it
small graces

Window

This is horrible. Why has no one from the opposition brought up this issue? Do they think the Australian people just don't care?

JC Sera

This is horrible. Why has no one from the opposition brought up this issue? Do they think the Australian people just don't care?
From the OP:
Asylum Seekers/Detention has been a hot topic in Australia for the last decade.

So in summary, after a report on how children where being abused in detention centres was released, the government chose to hound the author, and the government and the opposition together chose to bring in laws which would
The last two governments before the current (which includes the current opposition) had detention centres set up

The opposition will still look like monsters if an inquiry was ever made into the crimes committed against asylum seekers

Yagharek

The main opposition party in australia (Labor) voted in favour of covering up child abuse reports in detention centres.

Window

What about other minor parties? Don't they have a platform/enough public mind-share to bring this to attention?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The green party might have, but they're not big enough yet. Plus they have more play with labor than with the liberals, and guess which party the idiots voted in.

I swear to god if we have another liberal government after the shit shower that was the Abbott period...

Not that labor is all good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom