• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

49 percent of Americans agree with Trump's travel ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's seriously time to consider spliting up. Let the dumb fucks fend for themselves with their shit economy and enjoy their ignorance, bigotry and hillbilly Trump-led Theocracy. They'll see how good they'll have it when they're not being wholly subsidized by all those blue states they hate so much.

We can even build a wall so all the old white people can live together in harmony and they can leave everyone else alone to actually live an enjoyable and progressive life.
I'm all for it. Let them have their conservative hellhole. They'll be fleeced like the crap going on in Kansas.

Magni

I saw my little brother arguing in its favor on Facebook a few hours ago and it's hitting me pretty hard.

My whole family seems to be defending it. I'm seeing a lot of, "did you guys forget about 9/11?" talk. I don't know where to begin with that.

a lot of my friend who are fucking second gen vietnamese are in favor of this. They've been sharing shit on fb since sunday. Like wtf, your parents were literally refugee running away from a civil war, how the fuck can you even support this. Boggles my mind

You guys better be talking to your friends and families. If not, you are part of the problem.

On the one hand, I'm glad my friends were at the airports rather than spouting this kind of bullshit on Facebook, but on the other it means the only people I can try to convince are strangers on the Internet, and that almost never really works.

I tend to position my dislike of the ban as a general "politicians are gonna be politicians" angle.

"I'm just skeptical that this just another ineffective political move that won't solve a problem. You know how politicians are."

Which it is but it positions it more as general dislike of politicians (which is frankly really popular) rather than partisan objection.

It's a world of word gymnastics out there.
Not that this doesn't help against the devout Trump fans, but I've found few people who can't at least agree that politics sucks, and that some just don't like any of it.

Foffy

Banned
For people who wanted a humane society in America, we've all forgotten that in this country, Americans live in it.

What a fucking shithole. Jesus Christ.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm no longer surprise. The biggest shock last election is 52% of white woman voting for him.

" Greatest country in the world."

If you're non-white and think so, then I can only feel sorry for you that being seen as second class is something you're proud of.

Blueingreen

In their defence, they take up the majority of a bloody continent comparable in size to Europe, with (somewhat) different cultures, lifestyles and climates. Having Nevada, New York and Hawaii in the same country is bonkers to me

Yeah the USA is friggin huge, everything from deserts, forests, swamps and snow covered mountain ranges It doesn't excuse the lack of cultural unawarness but I understand it..somewhat.

mid83

I think lots of people are scared of people from the Middle East and feel that Trump is protecting us from terrorism. That's the sense I get from friends and family who support the ban.

I have a couple friends who served in Iraq and they are convinced that their experience showed them that a large percentage of people there hate us, therefore they feel it's vital to keep them out of the country.

I've also heard it mentioned several times that failed states like Syria or Yemen don't have a paper trail for the vetting process, which means people can lie their way through the series of interviews to get here.

For me personally, I think it's vital we protect the homeland but I also don't think banning entire counties of people does much good in terms of protection. It helps radicalize individuals and isolates us from allies in the fight against terrorism. Strong and lengthy vetting needs to continue and improved if possible, but this ban is counter productive and sends the wrong message to the world.

I wonder what the breakdown is of pure racism, "fuck you got mine", and thinking the US just lets these people in no questions asked and with no vetting.

In their defence, they take up the majority of a bloody continent comparable in size to Europe, with (somewhat) different cultures, lifestyles and climates. Having Nevada, New York and Hawaii in the same country is bonkers to me

The united states indeed.

Machina

Banned
A lot of americans are indignant assholes, what a shock. This is what happens when you have the star spangled banner flying in front of every fucking house.

sphinx

the piano man
I refuse to accept that so many people in America are racists and bigots so I will will try to make sense out of all of this.

last year in Germany, Merkel took in not just war refugees but everyone who wanted to come in what people considered a panic move.

now, while most germans were happy that the goverment could help people in need, there was substantial backlash because of the way everything was put into motion. Germans thought she shouldn't have let everyone in and that a system to determine how should and should not come in should have been implemented, not only that but she should have developed a plan so everybody in schools, hospitals, etc would know what to do and how to treat refugees.

from the outside, if you heard a german saying "geez Merkel!! did you think that through about letting all those people in?" sounds like he's a rascist asshole, but that would be not true, in most cases.

same here, but the other way around.

America wants more security, understandable. I want to hope that when someone comes out saying "I approve the muslim ban", that deep down, they only want terrorists to stay away from America, not every single muslim.

Trump, being the racist asshole he is, made an impulse decision (like Merkel in Germany) and decided to leave complete countries out of America, when the truth is he should have come up with a real plan to offset terror.

It's unfair to a lot of people but as long as it makes people feel safer, then that's better than nothing for them, so they agree with it,

mid83

I refuse to accept that so many people in America are racists and bigots so I will will try to make sense out of all of this.

last year in Germany, Merkel took in not just war refugees but everyone who wanted to come in what people considered a panic move.

now, while most germans were happy that the goverment could help people in need, there was substantial backlash because of the way everything was put into motion. Germans thought she shouldn't have let everyone in and that a system to determine how should and should not come in should have been implemented, not only that but she should have developed a plan so everybody in schools, hospitals, etc would know what to do and how to treat refugees.

from the outside, if you heard a german saying "geez Merkel!! did you think that through about letting all those people in?" sounds like he's a rascist asshole, but that would be not true, in most cases.

same here, but the other way around.

America wants more security, understandable. I want to hope that when someone comes out saying "I approve the muslim ban", that deep down, they only want terrorists to stay away from America, not every single muslim.

Trump, being the racist asshole he is, made an impulse decision (like Merkel in Germany) and decided to leave complete countries out of America, when the truth is he should have come up with a real plan to offset terror.

It's unfair to a lot of people but as long as it makes people feel safer, then that's better than nothing for them, so they agree with it,

The people I know that support the ban because they feel it makes them safer. I don't think it's because of any sort of hate or dislike of Muslims overall.

They polled more Republicans than democrats actually, and that's part of the reason why I think the poll results are a bit "misleading".

wait there were only 1201 peeps that polled? how does that even = "americans"

The sample size is good. In order for a sample to be "representative" (you won't see too many teachers use that word) the selection or the units must have been random and independent. That is the deciding factor on whether or not you can draw any meaningful conclusions, not necessarily the size of the sample.

The difference between Democrats and Republicans is merely 25 and very likely insignificant.

Bl@de

Hmm. So my "irrelevant, racist and stupid" link of the Rasmussen poll wasn't so far off and completely nuts. Sure, numbers were 57, 33, 10 and it was before the ban. But still...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

I do.

As I said ages ago, Europeans wear their racism like a lapel pin (which is why they seem so overtly abundant) but Americans hide it since society is educated to pretend to be colorblind. Group a bunch of random folks around a table full of beers and you'll start hearing racist insults in no time.

Trump is both the disease and the symptom.

Zombine

Banned
These people won't care until their own person rights are imposed upon. Until this happens, it's "America--FUCK YEAH!"

I do see a shift coming though. My parents, who I would consider to be incredibly misinformed lite-republicans registered as dems are growing increasingly frustrated with this orange shit stain. My father who used to make jokes about various political issues is no longer joking, and has expressed distain in regards to trump (which I expect will grow even more over the coming months/years.)

Initially, he took the stance of "well, you know republican presidents work out pretty good for us lower/lower middle class folks. Lets give him a chance." To now feeling pretty back into a wall.

web01

Its a temporary ban that has been completely blown out of proportion by people frothing at the mouth to oppose anything Trump does. Had the media not played this up its likely even larger number would support it. The implementation certainly should have been more nuanced especially in regards to green card holders.

America has always had very tough immigration controls compared to other western nations, not uncommon to read stories of tourists from western nations being turned away for all manner of reasons.

Just a question and please excuse me and my massive 'liberal bubble' of not being American but these 'small town folks' - that supposedly exist outside a bubble and totally not are more likely in one than city people - do they actually ever see any Muslims?

Like, from what I've seen from documentaries it really does look as though the people who support this shit and are most terrified of terrorism are the least likely to be affected either because; they don't actually have any Muslims near them; why would they target a small town? Surely cities would be more at risk.

It just seems really odd that these people seem so terrified of people they never interact with or... is that sort of the point?

Its a temporary ban that has been completely blown out of proportion by people frothing at the mouth to oppose anything Trump does. Had the media not played this up its likely even larger number would support it. The implementation certainly should have been more nuanced especially in regards to green card holders.

America has always had very tough immigration controls compared to other western nations, not uncommon to read stories of tourists from western nations being turned away for all manner of reasons.
You're either completely ignoring or are unaware that all the people on those planes had the necessary documentation to go to America. They had already passed most of your controls. It was a dumb idea by a rather dumb administration, I don't see how people are overreacting.

daxy

Blown out of proportion? This "extreme vetting" garbage flies in the face of the 1951 refugee convention and systematically discriminates against Arab people.

Just a question and please excuse me and my massive 'liberal bubble' of not being American but these 'small town folks' - that supposedly exist outside a bubble and totally not are more likely in one than city people - do they actually ever see any Muslims?

Like, from what I've seen from documentaries it really does look as though the people who support this shit and are most terrified of terrorism are the least likely to be affected either because; they don't actually have any Muslims near them; why would they target a small town? Surely cities would be more at risk.

It just seems really odd that these people seem so terrified of people they never interact with or... is that sort of the point?

It's not so cut & dry. In fact, many towns that support refugees also have plenty of local tension.

sphinx

the piano man
Group a bunch of random folks around a table full of beers and you'll start hearing racist insults in no time.

:(

well I'll pretend they don't exist,

I want to believe that most of the US are good, caring people, not republican trash.

Its a temporary ban that has been completely blown out of proportion by people frothing at the mouth to oppose anything Trump does.

sure, if you ignore all those fucked up cases, like the 12 year olf girl being separated from their parents, then yeah, totally blown out of proportion.

also, every administration we've heard from green card holders just being rejected at airports.

Poor Trump, I don't know why people are so mean to him.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
:(

well I'll pretend they don't exist,

I want to believe that most of the US are good, caring people, not republican trash.
I think most Americans are caring people. I also think that many of those kind, polite folks lose a large part of their empathy when it comes to minorities and people outside of their political cliques.

Not that this is something exclusive to America or anything.

SerTapTap

I'm all for it. Let them have their conservative hellhole. They'll be fleeced like the crap going on in Kansas.

If we split up we end up with a slightly okay "blue america" without the racism but drastically reduced population and economic value, and a completely insane and dangerous "red america" that has the capability to completely destabilize the entire globe because some brown person existed somewhere and someone was offended.

No.

I think most Americans are caring people. I also think that many of those kind, polite folks lose a large part of their empathy when it comes to minorities and people outside of their political cliques.

Not that this is something exclusive to America or anything.

I used to think this, but I don't think you get to be considered caring anymore when you're like this. They're just wolves in sheep's clothing and should get not a shred of respect until they act like human beings.

GhostBed

The ban is temporary for now, but will almost certainly be extended and have more countries added.

Anyone who thinks Trump is just trying to "keep the country safe" is drinking the koolaid. This is a "legal" way for him to enact the Muslim ban and he will almost certainly be going to farther lengths.

Foggy

America's soul has been rotten for a long time. Trump is a mirror. This is what we are. This is what we want.

daxy

Online poll. How reliable can it be?

Literally in the article itself:

The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online in English in all 50 states. It gathered poll responses from 1,201 people including 453 Democrats and 478 Republicans. It has a credibility interval, a measure of accuracy, of 3 percentage points for the entire sample and 5 percentage points for the Democrats and the Republicans.

Most people won't be affected by that ban directly, so I can't be surprised by this stats. They are people born in USA soil, or nowhere those countries, nor they know anyone who is affected.

Brinbe

I don't even get what these idiots are scared of. As if there are Muslims terrorizing their communities or thinking of attacking some backwoods farm. It's completely fucking insane. Then you have cities like NY that have been directly affected by the worse kinds of terrorism and they're fucking fighting tooth and nail for everyone's freedom.

Hillary was right, they're all deplorably selfish and ignorant pieces of garbage. And I'd say they'd be proud of that moniker.

Lifeline

People don't understand that legal US residents are being trapped, a lot of people think it's just a refugee ban. We need to keep spreading news about the legal residents that are suffering because of this.

If we split up we end up with a slightly okay "blue america" without the racism but drastically reduced population and economic value, and a completely insane and dangerous "red america" that has the capability to completely destabilize the entire globe because some brown person existed somewhere and someone was offended.

No.
LOL. Ok, I didn't think this through. I'm just pissed that I'm approaching midlife and have yet to see a sane America.

Toxi

Banned
I have a couple friends who served in Iraq and they are convinced that their experience showed them that a large percentage of people there hate us, therefore they feel it's vital to keep them out of the country.
After invading under false pretenses, destabilizing their country, and now slamming the door in their faces so they can't escape the mess we helped create... I can certainly imagine a large percentage of people in Iraq hate the United States.

And are completely justified in their hatred.

I don't even get what these idiots are scared of. As if there are Muslims terrorizing their communities or thinking of attacking some backwoods farm. It's completely fucking insane. Then you have cities like NY that have been directly affected by the worse kinds of terrorism and they're fucking fighting tooth and nail for everyone's freedom.
That's really the joke isn't it?

Rural Americans are obsessed with controlling things that will never affect rural America.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Those people can drop their American / Christian values facade.

This does nothing but exacerbate the problem, including severing relationships with those helping fight isis in the Middle East. It's a huge terrorist recruiting tool and we're losing more favor from or allies. It's dangerous, reckless, ignorant of history and totalitarian in nature. If you're not disturbed by this then I have no respect for you as a person or as an American citizen.

Dude this IS the American way to do things. Who brainwashed you into believing that this isn't what America does. From slavery, to Jim Crow laws, to Japanese interment camps, to dropping nuclear bombs on hundreds of thousands of people, Racist housing discrimination and Redlining, to purposeful mass increcreation, to lying to the world to go to war in Iraq!

This is WHAT WE DO! This is the norm. At least half the time. The other half is good things that we can point to. But this shouldn't "surprise" you.

I think it's seriously time to consider spliting up. Let the dumb fucks fend for themselves with their shit economy and enjoy their ignorance, bigotry and hillbilly Trump-led Theocracy. They'll see how good they'll have it when they're not being wholly subsidized by all those blue states they hate so much.

We can even build a wall so all the old white people can live together in harmony and they can leave everyone else alone to actually live an enjoyable and progressive life.
How long do you think it would be before they started beating war drums and wanted to invade their closest neighbour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom