• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

49 percent of Americans agree with Trump's travel ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Small town perspective for ya'll. Classic arguments are made, and some disturbing insights into the way people have interwoven faith with politics.

Across the bar, Amber Rowland, who helps run the place, insisted that she agrees with the ban on refugees and suspension of immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries.

"You want to help people out to get away from their countries and things like that," Rowland noted. "But it's making it harder for us to have a life. These people who are coming in are getting free handouts and everything else like that."

"We have people here who need help," she said.
"Please help us with your taxes, but heaven forbid they go to anyone else."

Small-town America, please stop acting like a ball and chain.

Good post, and you make good points, but damn if it's not depressing seeing Trump get support for something that is so clearly Anti-American. Whether that support is based on ignorance, disinterest, or complicity it's still awful that 49% indicate that they're OK with one of the worst civil rights abuses in decades.

Except it's not 49% that is okay with the law. It's 26% that is okay with it, and 23% that is okay with PARTS of it but doesn't agree with other parts.

To put it another way, if the question said "Do you agree with Trump's EO that barred green card holders from these countries" the results would show even less support.

Formless

Your optimism is just precious.

It's true. Bunch of conservatives/people who don't care about politics on my FB are upset at the green cards not holding.

They of course don't mention refugees but to think there isn't some semblance of nuance to some of these people is naive.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
No thread yet because it's still on twitter but:

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/826520725041401856

Appears green card holders from banned countries are suddenly having their status in the Global Entry Program revoked in bulk. I'm told this program involves that "extreme vetting" in advance for people who pass stringent checks.

If this is true, sounds like the machinations have only just begun.

I see people pissed everywhere and his approval rating is nose diving fast.

Something does not compute.
Because only something like 26% completely agree with the order. A lot of people like the idea of increased vetting (because they think we dont already do that even though there is zero evidence the vetting isn't working) but that doesn't mean they want interpreters who helped the US army or green card holders who happened to be out of the country fucked over.

And yeah this still dies in the courts because Trump and Giuliani openly admitted their anti Muslim in interviews. The ACLU are going to be able to see to that.

And more think America is setting a bad example with this, than a good one. So understand which statistics are being picked to headline and what others say.

What state are you in? Based on the consensus of everyone around me it was unfathomable that Trump could get elected but here we are.
I bet you that these numbers would have been higher Friday night. Even Republican leaning tracking polls like Rasmussen show his support lower now than when he took office, and sharply dropping since friday.

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_jan31

This is probably the most favorable tracking poll to Trump too.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
So I guess 49% of Americans are assholes/ cowards.

What they didn't say is that the people in line with this viewpoint were all collected from exactly where you'd expect people to be in line with this viewpoint to come from.

The 41 % were from the opposite place and the 10% who don't know are still at home trying to make their VHS player stop blinking 12:00.

Shoeless

What they didn't say is that the people in line with this viewpoint were all collected from exactly where you'd expect people to be in line with this viewpoint to come from.

The 41 % were from the opposite place and the 10% who don't know are still at home trying to make their VHS player stop blinking 12:00.

Wow, VHS reference. You've dated yourself, Gen X'er.

Brinbe

I think it's seriously time to consider spliting up. Let the dumb fucks fend for themselves with their shit economy and enjoy their ignorance, bigotry and hillbilly Trump-led Theocracy. They'll see how good they'll have it when they're not being wholly subsidized by all those blue states they hate so much.

We can even build a wall so all the old white people can live together in harmony and they can leave everyone else alone to actually live an enjoyable and progressive life.

MrMephistoX

I think it's seriously time to consider spliting up. Let the dumb fucks fend for themselves with their shit economy and enjoy their ignorance, bigotry and hillbilly Trump-led Theocracy. They'll see how good they'll have it when they're not being wholly subsidized by all those blue states they hate so much.

We can even build a wall so all the old white people can live together in harmony and they can leave everyone else alone to actually live an enjoyable and progressive life.

I once thought give it 20 years and all the dumb fucks will be dead but people in my life who I never would have expected voted for the asshole...

This poll was taken January 5-9 (before Trump was even inaugurated) and the actual question asked was "Do you support or oppose suspending immigration from "terror prone" regions, even if it means turning away refugees from those regions". I'm not surprised to see high poll numbers or surprised to see Fox News spin it as if it's a reaction to the executive order. (Fox News reporting: A "new poll" released "last week" spun as support for a 2-day-old policy is actually an old poll, released 17 days ago, using data collection starting 24 days ago. Transparent as fuck.)

I think if the order actually did just temporarily suspend new immigration from the countries in question the backlash wouldn't have been nearly as strong. Instead, we have the rollout clusterfuck and people with green cards, already-issued visas, etc. getting entangled in it too.

I once thought give it 20 years and all the dumb fucks will be dead but people in my life who I never would have expected voted for the asshole...

It's frightening isn't it? Thought the same thing in regards to the "old guard" of racism and bigotry dying off. Reading that article earlier about white males being recruited en masse to alt right outlets online was chilling. Way more widespread than I realized.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

I'm white and getting older. Can I still think this guy is a douchebag and hang with all my friends of various races and nationalities? Screw the ban. People learn hate to hate. Trump is just giving them reason to hate. He thinks this protects America. What it is doing is giving reason to incite war. Not exactly protecting.

Do you understand how statistics work?

1200 respondents is more than enough to give a representative sample as long as the respondents are properly randomly selected (that's the hard part).
Correct. Sample size does not matter. The sample is the important part.

The elections showed what happens, when you don't have a representative sample.

Square2015

To put things in historical context, polling of past refugee situations:
an9hp9m.png

More from Pew here: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/30/key-facts-about-refugees-to-the-u-s/

Square2015

This poll was taken January 5-9 (before Trump was even inaugurated) and the actual question asked was "Do you support or oppose suspending immigration from "terror prone" regions, even if it means turning away refugees from those regions".
Sorry about that, you're right.

I think if the order actually did just temporarily suspend new immigration from the countries in question the backlash wouldn't have been nearly as strong. Instead, we have the rollout clusterfuck and people with green cards, already-issued visas, etc. getting entangled in it too.
Interesting enough the numbers were very similar despite what happened.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-poll-exclusive-idUSKBN15F2MG said:
The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online in English in all 50 states. It gathered poll responses from 1,201 people including 453 Democrats and 478 Republicans. It has a credibility interval, a measure of accuracy, of 3 percentage points for the entire sample and 5 percentage points for the Democrats and the Republicans.

Is this really enough proof for "49 % of Americans agree with Trump's travel ban"? I find it a bit iffy, personally.

Not surprising. Looking at Facebook pages around my area a lot of people claim he's just defending our country. It's sickening.

N.Domixis

Banned
Just deleted on of these mother fuckers from my face book. Caught him saying they don't belong because they are terrorists waiting to happen.

Interesting enough the numbers were very similar despite what happened.
Yeah. I have to wonder what we'd see with more specific questions, like "Do you approve of immediately suspending all currently-issued visas from these countries, barring persons who have already passed vetting from entering or returning to the united states for 90 days".

Even if the rollout didn't change many opinions, it definitely changed how loud we'd be about it. It's a sure bet the left wouldn't have been nearly as mobilized and out there protesting, calling representatives, giving the ACLU tens of millions of dollars, etc. if it wasn't for the way it played out with people being detained in airports or blocked from boarding with literally no warning.

If the Obamacare vs ACA polling has shown us, it's that wording is the key. You ask this same question and call it "Trump's immigrant ban" and you might get a different response.

Either way, it should come as no surprise that most people aren't thrilled with Muslims. There are barely any of them in the country so 95% of Americans have probably never even met or known a Muslim person and the only impression they have of them is what they see on the news. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom