• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50/60hz on the PAL Wii U eShop - Discussion Thread

Rich!

"looks crap"?

Nothing about it looks crap. I'll show you a screenshot and you won't be able to tell you which version it is (except from the part where I have the German version which has German UI text).

It looks crap in motion, not in screenshots.

Pachinko

Everytime I read about the horrors of 8 and 16 bit gaming in pal land , I'm always surprised gaming took off over there at all. Like, it's no wonder people stuck with PCs and Amiga consoles that had properly formatted and built games.

Is there still a decent number of 50hz tellys over there or since the advent of HDTVs have they pretty much died out in favor of 60 hz ?

Everytime I read about the horrors of 8 and 16 bit gaming in pal land , I'm always surprised gaming took off over there at all. Like, it's no wonder people stuck with PCs and Amiga consoles that had properly formatted and built games.

Is there still a decent number of 50hz tellys over there or since the advent of HDTVs have they pretty much died out in favor of 60 hz ?

The TV my family bought in 1994 supported 60hz via SCART. By the time the Dreamcast came out in October 1999 the 18 inch portable in my room supported 60hz. Sega put 60hz options into most of it's games and so did many third parties. The PS2 eventually got on board and had many games with a 60hz option.
Then the original Xbox had a 50/60hz option in the dashboard, with most titles supporting true 60hz - with a weird swap back to 50hz in 2005 for some reason. Then the 360 came out and started releasing games that were 60hz only and wouldn't play on old TV's even with standard def cables.

Essentially, 50hz has been effectively dead to end users in PAL territories for over 10 years, but every once in a while something like this peaks out from under the rock. There was no reason for Nintendo to ever release a 50hz game in 2013 and I passed up buying Super Metroid for £0.30 because of it.

TheMoon

In order to find a 50Hz(-only!) TV you have to find a person who hasn't bought a new TV since the 80s or something crazy like that.

There was no reason for Nintendo to ever release a 50hz game in 2013 and I passed up buying Super Metroid for £0.30 because of it.

Well, yes, there clearly was: languages.

Rich!

Well, yes, there clearly was: languages.

Nah. Not a chance. Even in the translated version, all the weapon names, locations, abilities and on screen messages are in full English. Only the intro and ending text is translated, absolutely NOTHING in the actual game itself is translated. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever, especially now they have released DKC in full English with far more text.

TheMoon

Nah. Not a chance. Even in the translated version, all the weapon names, locations, abilities and on screen messages are in full English. Only the intro and ending text is translated, absolutely NOTHING in the actual game itself is translated. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever, especially now they have released DKC in full English with far more text.

What he said: "no reason"
What I said: "yes, this one"
What you said: "no excuse!"

The language option was clearly the reason in those few cases. That being the reason doesn't have anything to do with us agreeing with it or not. That's obviously not a valid excuse. Note also how there is more than a year of time that has passed since then and almost a year since ALttP. And you should know by now that I'm in favor of all 60 all the time.

Straxus

Serious question.

When you guys say text differences, do you mean multiple languages in EU versions, or just missing a "u"?

Edit: NVM I read last few posts above and I think I understand.

Rich!

Serious question.

When you guys say text differences, do you mean multiple languages in EU versions, or just missing a "u"?

Edit: NVM I read last few posts above and I think I understand.

multiple languages. europe has a few of those. (usually just english, french, italian and german)

Straxus

Yeah I gathered that from your post above. But thanks for your direct response.

At first, I thought it was over minor spelling differences. I didn't know older cart games had multiple text options on the rom. But then I
please don't kill me
remembered seeing retro roms online with multiple region stamps.

Neff

"looks crap"?

Nothing about it looks crap. I'll show you a screenshot and you won't be able to tell you which version it is (except from the part where I have the German version which has German UI text).

Well, um, obviously I'm talking about the game in motion. I happen to think that LttP is one of the most visually beautiful games ever made. But the European Wii U optimisation compromises that, reducing it to a juddery, slowed-down copy.

Everytime I read about the horrors of 8 and 16 bit gaming in pal land , I'm always surprised gaming took off over there at all.

The vast, vast majority of consumers were simply unaware, and probably wouldn't have noticed the difference if you showed them, anyway.

Ps3 also suffers from ps1 games being 50hz btw
Wish 50hz would die

<<<<So do I

It's mainly Sony we need to worry about with this crap now. Nintendo seems to get the idea.

I think the only reason the EU/AU PSN store has SOME US (98% are PAL 50hz) games is because they figured out it was easier for them to just throw the already emulated US version than work on emulating the PAL version, NOT because we prefer 60hz.

Rich!

I posted this in the DKC thread, but I think it will be relevant here too:

So, onto the next game:

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY 2

I've done a bit of research. There are four versions of the game:
1. USA NTSC. Languages: English and French

2. UK PAL. Languages: English and French

3. GERMAN PAL. Languages: English and German

4. JAPANESE NTSC. Languages: Japanese, duh. No english.

There was no spanish translation and no italian translation. The 60hz version is already in French - so that's a bonus. Now, looking at this realistically - Nintendo has no choice but to release the 60hz version. Here are their options:

1. Release the 60hz version in Europe. French and English are both sorted. poor germans though.
2. Release the PAL UK version in europe - pointless. USA version has french and english.
3. Release the German PAL version in Europe - french are missing out.

The only other option is to give the germans the german version and everyone else the 60hz one - but considering what happened with DKC1 last week, I think we can safely say we're going to get the 60hz one. phew. There's no reason at all to release the UK PAL one, that's for sure. It'd be a massive dick move. In terms of working out which version we get, we'll have to go on the boot up splash screen. If it says "released in america", we're cool!

Now, here's more:

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY 3

These are the versions:
1. USA NTSC. Languages: English and French

2. EU PAL. Languages: English, French and German

3. JAPANESE NTSC. Languages: take a guess

Now, this is a bit less clear cut. It's basically a DKC1 situation - but in this case, the USA version also has French. So it could go either way. If they give us 60hz DKC2 I see absolutely no reason why they wont do the same for DKC3.

Rich!

DKC2 is 50hz.

I guess Nintendo doesn't want my money. Won't ever be buying another VC title from them. Ever.

Sick of this bullshit.

Rich!

Whow do you know that it is the 50Hz version?

Nintendo PR release.

I'm so fucking pissed off.

Anyone who buys this shit deserves exactly what they get. I hope whoever buys this crap enjoys their gameplay being fucked up by the dead frames each second and incorrect sprite speeds.

Enjoy it. What brilliant treatment of one of the best games ever made. Or, just refuse to support this and don't waste your money. Buy the SNES version and use an emulator. Anything but supporting this. Anything.

danielcw

In general I don't mind 50hz for VC games, since it was the original representation in Europe/Australia for those games.
Having the option would be nice though.

(Because of the issues Nintende seems to have with 50hz games on Wii U VC, they should careful decisions on a case by case basis)

50Hz did die. It's the resurrected corpses that are the problem.
50hz is alive and well on European TV

Rich!

I don't mind 50hz for VC games, since it was the original representation in Europe/Australia for those games.

50hz is alive and well on European TV

...the entire point of this thread is that it is NOT the original representation of the games in ANY region.

The 50hz PAL VC games are NOT in 50hz. They are in butchered 60hz through use of repeated frames. That is the issue. Read the OP, seriously.

Robin64

...the entire point of this thread is that it is NOT the original representation of the games in ANY region.

The 50hz PAL VC games are NOT in 50hz. They are in butchered 60hz through use of repeated frames. That is the issue. Read the OP, seriously.

This has to be repeated too much. :(

Dryk

I hope those PC drivers for the gamepad surface soon, that'd light a fire under Nintendo. They wouldn't notice the fire but it'd be nice to have it.

I don't mind 50hz for VC games, since it was the original representation in Europe/Australia for those games.
If something is broken and fixing is that simple you should probably fix it.

Rich!

I hope those PC drivers for the gamepad surface soon, that'd light a fire under Nintendo

If something is broken and fixing is that simple you should probably fix it.

Nintendo didnt even fix it. They made 50hz games even worse.

Santar

The reason it's the NTSC version could be as simple as there's not really much text in the game.
Knowing Nintendo any remotely text heavy vc game will still be the PAL version in the future sadly.

Pila

I never bought a 50 hz game on my Wii U, not even at 30 cent. Fuck this bullshit.

Pretty happy to see DKC running at 60 hz, they have a lot of 60 hz games on the virtual console. Don't buy the 50 hz ones guys, we're not clueless kids anymore.

They never patched Balloon Fight? I'd love to buy it...

EDIT: oh shit the second one is 50 hz?! Lol Nintendo, what a joke.

Robin64

Oh they patched it in a hilarious way. They just made the entire thing run 20% faster. Because it's NES, this has the result of giving wonderful overpitched music.

Hasney

The reason it's the NTSC version could be as simple as there's not really much text in the game.
Knowing Nintendo any remotely text heavy vc game will still be the PAL version in the future sadly.

It's not even that, none of it seems to make any sense now.

smuf

I don't see how they can't just offer the option to choose between PAL and NTSC version on launching the game if they really want to offer the extra languages. These roms are 2-3 megabytes large so it would have a negligible impact on file size.

Neff

Horribly disappointing, but not really surprising. Nintendo doesn't care about giving us the NTSC experience because the vast majority of gamers don't care. The old 60hz campaign worked (for non translated titles at least- but how many of those are we going to get going forward?) because the difference between slowed, bordered PAL and NTSC was palpable, but nobody cares about poor framerate and input lag because they just can't tell the difference.

I'd like to think there'll be a noticeable dropoff in sales between DKC1 and DKC2 on the eShop so Nintendo gets the message, but if anything, it'll sell even better due to being a much better game.

I've almost totally lost faith in Nintendo's ability to offer consistent high quality VC in Europe, particularly when it's the some of the best SNES titles getting the shaft, and have done for a while now. No outrage, just resigned, weary disappointment from a die hard Nintendo fan.

They replaced it with a weird speeded up version, but it's still an awkward compromise and not faithful to the original.

TheMoon

What if they release the USA rom as an upgrade dlc? trolltendo!

If only! I would be completely fine with that! Hell, I'd even pay the standard SNES upgrade fee on top!

if only you had read the last few posts lol

Well, I don't care anymore. DKC2 is my favourite game of all time and they fucked it up. Even if DKC3 came with an evening alone with Scarlett Johansson, I still wouldnt buy it purely out of principle.

Liar. :D

You would be powerless!

Rich!

This is where I am. Can't be angry anymore, just tired of it.

Yeah, I give up.

I shouldn't be bothered. I have the Super Famicom versions, and I can enjoy them as they were supposed to be on there or on Retroarch on my PC (with a SNES controller via my TV). I would support Nintendo if they released 60hz versions, like I have done before. But no, they won't be seeing any money from me anymore.

But of course, I mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things. Most people won't be aware and purchase anyway. And they'll be getting an inferior hacked together version of a classic which we played in a better state both in PAL and NTSC twenty years ago. sigh

Hasney

Luckily for me, at least DKC was 60hz since I had to upgrade one of my Wii VC games for cheap to get the Tropical Freeze deal when I get paid, but it's still all fucked up as I would have liked to have at least got 2 as well.

The only good thing to come out of this is to confirm the criteria of which games are US or not: There isn't one.

Pila

Oh they patched it in a hilarious way. They just made the entire thing run 20% faster. Because it's NES, this has the result of giving wonderful overpitched music.

They replaced it with a weird speeded up version, but it's still an awkward compromise and not faithful to the original.

Thanks guys, what a bummer, they waste their time doing a pointless job when they could just give us the real deal. :/

Like you said, I'm not even angry anymore, they just don't want my money I guess. I'm a big Nintendo fan but I'm not a moron, I'll replay the trilogy on my SNES if anything.

scamander

Banned
Maybe we should write letters to Satoru Shibata directly, describing the issue. I constantly get the feeling they are not aware their "optimised" 50Hz versions are not fixing it.

Rich!

Maybe we should write letters to Satoru Shibata directly, describing the issue. I constantly get the feeling they are not aware their "optimised" 50Hz versions are not fixing it.

I would be up for that if I knew exactly where to address it to.

I would go full on dissertation essay on their asses

TheMoon

Just a thought: can we make this the official 60Hz on PAL VC "discussion" thread? I'm loving how none of this is in the Ninty Downloads thread right now. It's so peaceful in there! I'm serious, btw! :)

Soodanim

Perhaps I should be thankful. I could have spent quite a lot on VC games if it were not for the poor ports.

I do wish they sold a good version of ALttP though.

Rich!

Just a thought: can we make this the official 60Hz on PAL VC "discussion" thread? I'm loving how none of this is in the Ninty Downloads thread right now. It's so peaceful in there! I'm serious, btw! :)

Yeah, if a mod wants to change the title to "50hz in PAL Wii U VC titles - Complaints Thread" then feel free to do so.

scamander

Banned
I would be up for that if I knew exactly where to address it to.

I would go full on dissertation essay on their asses

According to their website, this is the address for business partners:

Nintendo of Europe GmbH
Nintendo Center
63760 Großostheim
(Germany)

they also have one for customers, but it's only a POB, so I would use the above. If you add a line with "attn: Satoru Shibata" under NoE GmbH it should arrive on his secretaries desktop, who will hopefully pass it to him, if enough people complain.

Top Bottom