• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Too bad this is not coming out in Europe. I may import it if the impressions are good, but I would definitely impulse-buy it if I ever saw it on a store shelf.

vixlar

Hey, Akselziys.

I just want to tell that I was interested in this games since when it was anounced for Japan. And it really made me happy when it was announced for America. But now you drop here and give us some interesting notes on the development. Really, it only makes me want this game more, hehehe.

Congratulations for what seems to be a great game, and I expect to play it soon :)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
vixlar said:
Hey, Akselziys.

I just want to tell that I was interested in this games since when it was anounced for Japan. And it really made me happy when it was announced for America. But now you drop here and give us some interesting notes on the development. Really, it only makes me want this game more, hehehe.

Congratulations for what seems to be a great game, and I expect to play it soon :)

That's really kind of you to say, Vixlar! Thank you!

I know you'll enjoy it to its fullest!

And I'll try to answer any and all questions to the best of my ability :D

thetrin said:
I think the combination of room escape and VN will garner some interest in American gamers. VNs on their own may not entice people all that much.

Yeah, it will be a definite plus to help American consumers to become more familiar and integrated into the genre :)

Akselziys said:
The flash demo was created via an outsourced company in Japan and Chunsoft. We handled the creation and translation of the English demo and requested English versions of the assets as well as a little programming assistance (since we had to change the very first puzzle in the game, since it made use of Japanese kana) and implement the new American version of the puzzle into the demo as well.

All the other characters you interact with have various animations as well, so I hope you'll enjoy them all :D!
Interesting. Thanks for the the answer. :)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
We received our office copies of Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors today as well as our watches :D!

999w

Nekobo

Okay I caved in and ordered the game from GameStop. Never thought I'd order anything from them ever again, but I did for that watch. This is the 5th Aksys game I've bought this year. You win again Aksys. ::shakes fist::

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Nekobo said:
Okay I caved in and ordered the game from GameStop. This is the 5th Aksys game I've bought this year. You win again Aksys. ::shakes fist::

You, sir, are awesome :D *tips off my hat to your devotion*

It will be well worth it!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Rokam said:
Randomly clicked this thread, played demo, and ordered it. :D Thanks for the post!

And this is why OTs work.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Hmm, seems gametrailers put up the character trailer instead of the launch trailer. I'll let you all know when that's fixed :lol

shahkur

Tried the demo. Was a nice puzzle. Took me about 30mins to complete. Now I really want the game, so I'll probably have to import.

@ Akselziys: How many escape stages are there? I'm guessing 9 as there are 9 doors, unless that's totally something else.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
shahkur said:
Tried the demo. Was a nice puzzle. Took me about 30mins to complete. Now I really want the game, so I'll probably have to import.

@ Akselziys: How many escape stages are there? I'm guessing 9 as there are 9 doors, unless that's totally something else.

The title just indicates story plot points, there are over
puzzles to solve to give you an idea though :D

There are also
endings, which includes a
true ending, which can only be achieved on a second playthrough after achieving a specific ending.

So plenty of replay value to be had ;)
Also, there are 6 empty icons in your save data that will fill up as you achieve the various endings, so you'll know which ones you've already obtained
:D

Tranced Shadow said:
Do we know if the game is compiled for DSi?

As someone considering importing to Europe, this is rather important :D
This should be a standard DS game without any DSi features at all, so importing wouldn't be an issue.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Tranced Shadow said:
Do we know if the game is compiled for DSi?

As someone considering importing to Europe, this is rather important :D

It should run on a DSi just fine, since DSis run DS games and DS/DSi hybrid games.

Akselziys said:
It should run on a DSi just fine, since DSis run DS games and DS/DSi hybrid games.

Not if it's a US DSi game on a non-US DSi - it wouldn't boot at all!

I'll probably go ahead and order anyway though, as I have an old DS (that breaks half the time) knocking about anyway...

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Tranced Shadow said:
Not if it's a US DSi game on a non-US DSi - it wouldn't boot at all!

I'll probably go ahead and order anyway though, as I have an old DS (that breaks half the time) knocking about anyway...

Yeah, that's correct, since Nintendo region locked the DSi. I was thinking in terms of a US DSi instead of a PAL one :lol My apologies :)

Since it's a pure DS game though, and DSis will still play any region DS only games, it should work just fine on a PAL DSi :D

It's a battle of the death between this and the third Golden Sun for my DS dollar this week; I wish you luck, Akselziys. TWO GAMES ENTER! ONE GAME LEAVES!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
SatelliteOfLove said:
It's a battle of the death between this and the third Golden Sun for my DS dollar this week; I wish you luck, Akselziys. TWO GAMES ENTER! ONE GAME LEAVES!

Doesn't Golden Sun 3 come out on the 29th? :D

Though I'm honored that 999 holds enough sway to combat the mighty and awesome Golden Sun :)

Yup, but with how erratically I usually play the DS, it wouldn't be finished in time. A growing backlog on another system scares me deep, too. :lol

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
SatelliteOfLove said:
Yup, but with how erratically I usually play the DS, it wouldn't be finished in time. A growing backlog on another system scares me deep, too. :lol

Well, I'm sure you'll make the right decision with whatever you choose :D

Just depends what genre you're in the mood for ;)

Shadow Red said:
Dude, they're giving away free functional, metal watches as pre-order bonuses. Who wants a free crappy postcard or a soundtrack you can just download?

so soundtracks are worthless because you can download them for free somewhere on the internet? i've learned something new today.

shahkur

@ Akselziys: Thanks a lot for all the info. My interested is even further peaked, so I'm gonna order it now.:D

And I honestly believe that this game has what it takes to make it as big as the Layton and Phoenix series. It just depends on the marketing and word of mouth.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Volcynika said:
Are reviews under an embargo? Can't seem to find any.

I'll have to check with marketing about that when I get into the office on Monday morning, but I know we sent out reviewables to various press (i.e. Nintendo Power, etc.)

So I believe they should be forthcoming, but I'll confirm :)

Damn.

If I weren't saving up to finally join the PC race (almost there!) I would totally buy this. I've been interested ever since I played the demo and visual novels are something I enjoy. Hopefully it'll still be around in a couple months because I'm going to have to (painfully) pass on it :(

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
dragonlife29 said:
Damn.

If I weren't saving up to finally join the PC race (almost there!) I would totally buy this. I've been interested ever since I played the demo and visual novels are something I enjoy. Hopefully it'll still be around in a couple months because I'm going to have to (painfully) pass on it :(

Well, we'll most likely be selling copies of it on our online store like we do for all our games, so if you can't find it elsewhere, you can try ordering it from us direct down the line :D

Also, GameTrailers put up the Launch trailer for all to see :) It may not be as intense as the character trailer, but it helps to explain the different aspects of the game.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/launch-trailer-999/707437

Akselziys said:
Well, we'll most likely be selling copies of it on our online store like we do for all our games, so if you can't find it elsewhere, you can try ordering it from us direct down the line :D

Also, GameTrailers put up the Launch trailer for all to see :) It may not be as intense as the character trailer, but it helps to explain the different aspects of the game.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/launch-trailer-999/707437
Great trailer! Although the trailer is clearly widescreen, GameTrailers is displaying it as 4:3 for some reason which does not help at all.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
HarkenSlash said:
Great trailer! Although the trailer is clearly widescreen, GameTrailers is displaying it as 4:3 for some reason which does not help at all.

Yeah, kinda odd. I'll see if we can upload it to the official 999 site as well in a more eye-pleasing resolution :D

Premise sounds really interesting, I'll definitely check it out when I come home for the holidays since I've been in the mood for a new handheld game to play :D .

atomsk

Party Pooper
looking forward to this. last VN I played was Lux-Pain and I enjoyed that

just need to find time to play it with Assassins Creed and Need for Speed out this week :lol

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Oh yeah, just to let you guys know for when you start playing, search every area and every item multiple times ;)

By doing so it will generate various humorous and/or interesting moments with Junpei and/or the characters involved conversing with one another :D You can also learn hints on what to do to progress.

Not to mention it doesn't hurt to be OCD thorough in games like this :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
atomsk said:
looking forward to this. last VN I played was Lux-Pain and I enjoyed that

just need to find time to play it with Assassins Creed and Need for Speed out this week :lol

Lux Pain slowed down majorly around the middle, and the translation really didn't help (though at the time, I had just returned from Japan, so the translation was like listening to my ex students speak in English :lol)

_PsiFire_

I've been noticing this thread for a while and decided to read through it during a slow evening at work.

Looks like I have a game to buy come Tuesday!

Love games like this for my DS.

Just saw the launch trailer. The combing stuff makes it looks like Hotel Dusk...and that's a good thing! I really like the whole aspect of choosing which door to take since you can always replay the game to check doors that you havent been to. Man, three more days. Though it's true they need to work up on their PR.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Lambtron said:
So hey, if I buy this will Aksys localize DoDonPachi Resurrection? :)

Well, supporting us by purchasing it helps to ensure future games to be released by us, so you never know :D

_PsiFire_ said:
I've been noticing this thread for a while and decided to read through it during a slow evening at work.

Looks like I have a game to buy come Tuesday!

Love games like this for my DS.

I'm ecstatic that you decided to check it out :D!

I'm actually playing through my retail copy as we speak, so all the knowledge of 999 will be super fresh in my mind and I can talk to you all about it/help you guys if you get stuck :D

Even though I've played through it already, it's still enjoyable to replay :)

Ranger X

ok this is really out of the blue!!

I discovered this game just now. And I am stuck at the briefcase at the beginning? :lol
I did put the blue key in but I want to try the red one... How can I remove the key? I can't seem to be able to do so...

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Akselziys said:
Well, supporting us by purchasing it helps to ensure future games to be released by us, so you never know :D
I'm considering it. Now please get Cave on the phone. Get their other games too. ;)

Top Bottom