• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Ok got 2 endings thus far
Axe and Knife

I'll just use the spoiler free guide from now on to get the rest. One question tho, is it worth seeing
the Coffin ending before true ending? Apparently it is just a cut version of the true ending?

It's not really necessary if you ask me, but if you're want to see what it's like then do it next as opposed to waiting.

It's not really necessary if you ask me, but if you're want to see what it's like then do it next as opposed to waiting.

Ta, I'll skip it then since doing the puzzle rooms again prolly wouldn't be worth it. Might as well just jump straight into VLR after seeing
other endings beside coffin

Ok just finished the game with all ending. I got a little mixed feelings about this one...

Ok so the whole telepathy thingy got a lil crazy but thats perfectly fine with me in itself. However I think this game would have been much more satisfying as a more normal mystery. The hints to the main plot were as subtle as a trainwreck and when the focus changes to the experiment stuff the whole interest honestly falls apart imo. The game worked better as a character driven mystery story. I found stuff like the axe ending and even the safe ending more satisfying than the true ending.

The thing that perhaps annoys me the most is the ridicilously high praise for the story and twists this game has. It didn't deliver nearly enough. I liked it but I really think people are setting this on a little too high pedastal.

Now that is not to say the true ending didn't have cool stuff in it. Like if I got this correct all the puzzles ect. were aided by Akane from the past until the very last puzzle where Junpei for the first time is doing it on his own and aiding Akane instead, thus the need to swap the DS around. Thats some Kojima level fourth wall breaking right there. That was cool.

But then there were some stupid stuff too. Did I really get this right that they ''retconned'' Zero to say 9 as a ''q'' in the speaker? How the fuck does that even work? That is like... Kojima level fourth wall breaking but in a way that makes zero sense!

Also I am not exactly clear on who Zero was. I mean I guess it was old Akane but the whole thing gets so weird with the time travelling stuff or whatever you can call it. So yeah at the end they don't really say it how Akane was able to be a real person cause everything just seems to end in some type of paradox. It would almost make more sense if Jumpei had to save her on some alternate timeline or something, I don't even know I'm too tired to think about this stuff right now :lol.

Oh and I hope the Nevada desert wasn't supposed to be some major twist cause you could see that coming from a miiiiiiile away the second they mention it in the story.

And the very last shot of the game. I guess that was Alice but even that whole subplot seems so weird. What exactly did that have to do with anything at the end :p.

Oh well I guess I'll jump right into VLR next. Already downloaded and ready to go on my Vita. Thanks based PS+.

Ok just finished the game with all ending. I got a little mixed feelings about this one...

Ok so the whole telepathy thingy got a lil crazy but thats perfectly fine with me in itself. However I think this game would have been much more satisfying as a more normal mystery. The hints to the main plot were as subtle as a trainwreck and when the focus changes to the experiment stuff the whole interest honestly falls apart imo. The game worked better as a character driven mystery story. I found stuff like the axe ending and even the safe ending more satisfying than the true ending.

The thing that perhaps annoys me the most is the ridicilously high praise for the story and twists this game has. It didn't deliver nearly enough. I liked it but I really think people are setting this on a little too high pedastal.

Now that is not to say the true ending didn't have cool stuff in it. Like if I got this correct all the puzzles ect. were aided by Akane from the past until the very last puzzle where Junpei for the first time is doing it on his own and aiding Akane instead, thus the need to swap the DS around. Thats some Kojima level fourth wall breaking right there. That was cool.

But then there were some stupid stuff too. Did I really get this right that they ''retconned'' Zero to say 9 as a ''q'' in the speaker? How the fuck does that even work? That is like... Kojima level fourth wall breaking but in a way that makes zero sense!

Also I am not exactly clear on who Zero was. I mean I guess it was old Akane but the whole thing gets so weird with the time travelling stuff or whatever you can call it. So yeah at the end they don't really say it how Akane was able to be a real person cause everything just seems to end in some type of paradox. It would almost make more sense if Jumpei had to save her on some alternate timeline or something, I don't even know I'm too tired to think about this stuff right now :lol.

Oh and I hope the Nevada desert wasn't supposed to be some major twist cause you could see that coming from a miiiiiiile away the second they mention it in the story.

And the very last shot of the game. I guess that was Alice but even that whole subplot seems so weird. What exactly did that have to do with anything at the end :p.

Oh well I guess I'll jump right into VLR next. Already downloaded and ready to go on my Vita. Thanks based PS+.

As far as the "9/q" thing... I think it's actually written out on the letter to Snake, so Zero never actually says it's a "9" at the end. It was written in the letter at the beginning, so if anything Snake kind of flubs it.

The thing here is that the original puzzle in Japanese was more phonetic... they used the Japanese word for 9 "ku" which has a "kyuu" sound, so the 9/q thing would work easily. If I recall correctly the translation team switched it up so that it was written (so the mixup would still work logically), which is actually extremely elegant and a great job by them.

Zero was Akane with help from her brother.

It's been a while, so I'm rusty, but here goes as far as the last explanation: What was happening was that in order for young Akane to survive, she needed the answer to that last puzzle. So in order to get the answer, she had to create a situation where she could communicate with somebody through the morphogenetic field, which means she needed to set up the Nonary Game. You'll notice that during the game when Junpei makes decisions which jeopardize the "true" ending, June starts to get sick/feel feverish and, near the end, disappears completely. This is because you're playing a timeline that doesn't save her, so she can't exist.

So what was happening when you played the game actually WAS playing alternate timelines. Each ending was an individual timeline that Akane was exploring until she found one that resulted in her being saved by Junpei.

As far as the rest of the stuff, VLR covers some of it so I won't say anything else :) Enjoy!

Just finished it (I actually bought it just after VLR in order to enjoy VLR to the max), and I'm kind of conflicted. Actually, I was going to post a long rant but Napalm_Frank perfectly summarized what I felt.

Well, even though I played it while being completely spoiler-free, maybe I was so hyped to a so awesome plot I was expecting too much of it...too bad, guess I'm now used to crazy twists and plots in Japanese VN :)

Now, should I wait before playing VLR in order to avoid series fatigue or should I just dig in ?

CassSept

The overall plot isn't that amazing (besides the hook, it is pretty great in itself) and it gets thin at times but the twist, THE TWIST. Jesus.

I'd say go on, if you have the time play VLR right now.

I just finished the game for the first time.

Got the
everyone died ending. I don't actually know if there is only one ending where this is the case
. It was great though the ending was kind of underwhelming because I've no clue what actually was going on/leading to the circumstances...

Now my question is:

Should I play again or is it ok to just start VLR which is waiting for me on 3DS and Vita. I'm really curious for that one. I will go back to 999 at a later point for sure.
I won't play 999 'till I see all endings before I start with VLR. Neither have the time nor the patience. I'm just curious if I missed a lot of important stuff that will be refered to in the sequel.

Got the
everyone died ending. I don't actually know if there is only one ending where this is the case
. It was great though the ending was kind of underwhelming because I've no clue what actually was going on/leading to the circumstances...

Now my question is:

Should I play again or is it ok to just start VLR which is waiting for me on 3DS and Vita. I'm really curious for that one. I will go back to 999 at a later point for sure.
I won't play 999 'till I see all endings before I start with VLR. Neither have the time nor the patience. I'm just curious if I missed a lot of important stuff that will be refered to in the sequel.

There's only one real ending in 999. If you haven't seen it, then you haven't beaten the game and you shouldn't move on to VLR.

Got the

Now my question is:

Hint: You haven't finished the game.

Don't play VLR yet. And furthermore, if you can't stand multiple endings, don't bother with VLR in the first place. These games are about getting multiple endings, so if that rubs you the wrong way then just don't bother. You're going to miss out on all the good stuff anyway.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Got the

Now my question is:

It doesn't take a long time to get all the endings because after you get your first ending the game gives you a fast-foward function for every text you already went through. In case there's different content or a critical choice to be made, it won't let you fast-forward so you don't accidentally skip what's new.

It's not like it's a new playthrough per se, and it's even faster if you use a non-spoiler ending guide to know what will lead you where. It's more like you didn't beat the game yet, imo getting one ending is like reaching the middle of the game in the case of 999.

I haven't played VLR so I can't answer if it's ok for you to just skip to it, but if you really want to play it now you should tbh. No point in forcing yourself with the rest of the previous game as it can affect your enjoyment of it.

Thank you guys for the replies. I don't have a problem with the several endings structure of the game. I quite like it. I'm just too eager to play new games I own. But you convinced me. I'll start 999 over again.

Any recommendations for a spoiler free guide?

Fuu

Thank you guys for the replies. I don't have a problem with the several endings structure of the game. I quite like it. I'm just too eager to play new games I own. But you convinced me. I'll start 999 over again.

Any recommendations for a spoiler free guide?
http://i.imgur.com/OwyrZ.png

This one is good enough and it's as light as it gets, it tells you the doors and what choices to pick without giving much away (some of the labels can be a bit spoilerish, but not enough to be a problem out of context).

That was the
sub
ending. You can see the icons for the endings you've gotten on the file screen ;)

yeah... I just saw that...

sometimes I feel
G0si08O.gif

Just finished my second playthrough and need some advise. Not sure if I rather should ask this in the most recent Lttp thread or here, but it worked out last time so here I go:

So I got the Axe ending (*shudders* dat evil Clover!) basically following the path on the left side of this walkthrough http://i.imgur.com/OwyrZ.png. That means, after solving the captains quarter room with Ace and Clover I somehow left the path leading to the True/Coffin ending.
I don't quite understand what the condition leading to the Axe ending is here. The guide says 'Captain's corpse' Yes/No. Well, I saw the corpse and the axe. At what point did I had a choice to change the outcoming here?

Same goes for the 'Boomark & Ice9' and 'Bookmark & Allice' branches by the way. At those I apparently fullfilled the 'Yes' condition without knowing.

Jintor

Um... I can't remember it exactly but there's a certain condition that might require you going into a different room with different crew members before you head to the captain's cabin so you can do something specific that will change the outcome. Basically you don't have a certain piece of information that you need to know yet.

Um... I can't remember it exactly but there's a certain condition that might require you going into a different room with different crew members before you head to the captain's cabin so you can do something specific that will change the outcome. Basically you don't have a certain piece of information that you need to know yet.

The path is relatively clear though
4-7-1
. I skipped through some other walkthrough briefely, because I don't want to get spoiled, and saw something like "in room X you have to look at the
safe (which I alredy did at that point, think it was in the 1st class cabin)
to advance in a certain direction later on. Is it something like that?

daxy

The path is relatively clear though
4-7-1
. I skipped through some other walkthrough briefely, because I don't want to get spoiled, and saw something like "in room X you have to look at the
safe (which I alredy did at that point, think it was in the 1st class cabin)
to advance in a certain direction later on. Is it something like that?

You must have failed one of the conditions to get to that ending. There are a good number of things that you can miss and get a bad end. I was using this spoiler free guide after my first playthrough:
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/999:_Nine_Hours,_Nine_Persons,_Nine_Doors/Endings#top

No clue what's meant by that split you mentioned. I've played the game and can't make sense of those paths in the image. There's a conversation that happens in that room, nothing to do with the body, that you need to choose the correct reply for. I assume it's that.

The
safe has its own ending and path that you'll need to take in order to access the true ending.
I'm not sure if you need any of the other endings, but you need to have at least played through
the safe ending

I'd recommend you go through all the other endings before going for True though. I don't know which of these endings you've gotten yet, but don't do the
Coffin
end you mentioned.
Not worth your time because you'll see it all again in the True end anyway.

Jintor

Oh, I remember now - you need to
tell Clover something specific
in the operations room, because otherwise a decision will be made based on incomplete information.

To explain [major spoilers]
If I recall correctly, you need to tell Clover something that will cause her to realise that "Snake's" dead body couldn't possibly be Snake, meaning she'll be less inclined to go crazy after the captain's room.

daxy

Side note, I don't believe you ever have to go through door 3, but if you actually do you get some unique dialogue and an all new escape segment. I personally really enjoyed the game's puzzles so it was a pleasant surprise when I got to it. You eventually do loop back to it in through every path, but you don't get to do the escape.

Fuu

Sorry that that chart I posted ended up being too vague for its own good, AkimbO! It's been a good while since I played and I most likely misjudged it when trying to suggest the least spoilerish one.

Thanks guys! I started the next run and was aiming for the
safe
ending. But looking at the gamefaqs flowchart it seems like if I do this now, I won't be able to get the
coffin
ending? Maybe I'll switch over to the
knife
one first. This way I'll have all the
bad endings
out of the way.

By the way: I think I forgot to mention that I love, love, LOVE 999 so far! I'll start VLR the second I'm done with it.

Fuu

But I want/need to have all 6 icons on the start screen eventually :/
Don't worry, you also get the coffin icon when you watch the true ending (if you don't have it already).

The coffin ending is just the true route cut short. Don't bother going for it.
I got it in my first run and felt punked. :lol It's not even an ending like the others because it's just cut, it's the one thing in the game I wish they did differently.

Korigama

But I want/need to have all 6 icons on the start screen eventually :/
You can go for it, if you want (coffin wound up being my first ending). The bonus trailer unlocked after doing it is worth it for the "Wuuuuuut!?" value as well (which should still be in effect based on your progress so far). But yeah, if in a hurry, the icon will still appear even after viewing the true ending, as mentioned in the post above.

Either way, I would recommend saving
safe
for second to last.

Sorry that that chart I posted ended up being too vague for its own good, AkimbO! It's been a good while since I played and I most likely misjudged it when trying to suggest the least spoilerish one.

Don't worry, no damage done :)
Your guide offered a fair amount of help at the time.

Either way, I would recommend saving
safe
for second to last.

Okay, so
Knife -> Coffin -> Safe -> True
it is from here on.

DaBoss

Okay, so
Knife -> Coffin -> Safe -> True
it is from here on.

Knife -> Safe -> True

Coffin ending is a waste since
the path you take and decisions are all the same as the
True ending with the difference being the ending is cut off in the coffin ending. You will get the coffin ending icon despite not "doing" the Coffin ending.

Katzii

I've been working through this game for the past few days, having received it at Christmas and now getting around to it, and now have every ending except the
true ending
. I truly appreciate the fast-forward function for the text. I have to say, for a group of characters who I felt absolutely nothing for initially, they've all
(with slight exceptions to the 9th Man, save for the pity I feel, given what little we see of him)
really grown on me, and I want to see happy endings (mostly) all around in my final playthrough.

Tonight I got the
Safe/Letter ending
and I have to confess that I'm sat up in bed a little bit afraid to sleep right now... Doesn't help that it's a nasty night outside, hahahah. Maybe I'll sleep with the lights on! This is coming from someone whose usual gaming fare is bright and colourful platformer games, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised that it's giving me the jibblies a bit.

The twist in the aforementioned ending depressed me quite a bit.
Having felt nothing but contempt towards the 9th Man for four playthroughs, I now really feel sorry for the guy, realising that he was naught more than a pawn. Ace was also my favourite character and seeing him in this light saddens me - the whole time he felt like the character I could trust. My trust now lies mainly in Santa (and to a lesser extent, Seven), so I really hope neither of those pull a twist on me in the final playthrough.

Problem is, I know somewhere there's going to be a twist that's going to sour me to the characters I still like... But hopefully I can forgive them in the end.

Is VLR worth checking out? I'm a bit tentative knowing that there's a save bug in the 3DS one, which is the only one I would have access to. Do any of the characters from 999 make an appearance?

Is VLR worth checking out? I'm a bit tentative knowing that there's a save bug in the 3DS one, which is the only one I would have access to. Do any of the characters from 999 make an appearance?

If you like/love 999, it's definitely worth checking out, for sure. Just make sure you finish 999 first.
And yes, there is some crossover from 999. I won't say anything more.

The 3DS save bug is very easy to avoid, so don't worry about it. All you have to do is not save in puzzle rooms. I played the entire time by saving outside of puzzle rooms and simply closing the system (sleep mode) to keep progress otherwise. never had an issue.

daxy

If you thought the fast-forwarding in 999 was good, your mind will be blown by how easy VLR lets you access branching paths in the story ahah.

It didn't quite hook me as much as 999 but that may be because I played them back to back. Still need to get back to it, but it was pretty damn good based on the twelve or so hours I put in. Aside from relatively minor performance issues, the only thing that irked me about VLR was how poorly camera control was handled. (Based on my experience with the 3DS version, can't speak for its quality on Vita)

-Horizon-

Ok been working on trying to get all the endings and so far got the
Axe
Coffin
Knife
Submarine endings

Now I'm still trying to figure out where I keep messing up in choices because I can't get any other endings.
Is door 1 important? I see that you get the book of hieroglyphs and the Uranus key card there but the farthest I can get is the coffin ending because I can't unlock the coffin with what I have. And door 3 has that safe that isn't opened.

DaBoss

Ok been working on trying to get all the endings and so far got the
Axe
Coffin
Knife
Submarine endings

Now I'm still trying to figure out where I keep messing up in choices because I can't get any other endings.
Is door 1 important? I see that you get the book of hieroglyphs and the Uranus key card there but the farthest I can get is the coffin ending because I can't unlock the coffin with what I have. And door 3 has that safe that isn't opened.

In order to
open the coffin, you need to complete the Safe ending. If you would like, I can tell you the path to go to get the Safe ending.

-Horizon-

In order to
open the coffin, you need to complete the Safe ending. If you would like, I can tell you the path to go to get the Safe ending.

Yes, some help would be nice :)
I've been trying to get a different ending and after many attempts, all leading to
stabbed to death
endings, I feel like I'm just not making the right choices to get onto a different end.

Betty

Banned
Picked this up to make the wait for Animal Crossing easier, and I just got a bad ending specifically the
knife ending, which literally made me gasp

I thought I was doing so well too, so it was a big shock

DaBoss

Yes, some help would be nice :)
I've been trying to get a different ending and after many attempts, all leading to
stabbed to death
endings, I feel like I'm just not making the right choices to get onto a different end.

Path to
Safe ending is: Doors 5, 8 and 6

That is probably one of my favourite endings since everything comes into place.

Zukuu

Banned
Got Submarine and AX so far. Not impressed... hope it'll get better once I get the last 2 (safe + true). Just felt incredible out of place and forced (both of them, but Ax in particular).

And the puzzles are way to easy. =(

Zukuu

Banned
Okay finished it.

I was dumbstruck how cheesy and bad the ending was. Seriously, you can't build a game on "reality" and then introduce a
"magical time line loop hole telepathy magnetic monographic field shit"
at the end. You either base it from the beginning in a mystery environment or not at all. The solution just doesn't work and is the easy way out. >_>

I have no clue why this game is so hyped. I mean it wasn't bad, but nothing amazing either. Puzzles were kinda meh and uninspired (
Soduko
as final puzzle... Really?! REALLY?!)

Overall I'm disappointed; most likely due to the hype: I awaited a awesome plot solution and thoughtful ending... Sadly, it didn't live up to the hype at all. Maybe I'm just accustomed to better stories and plot twists if they are hyped.

Doing a plot twist right? => NieR and Steins;Gate

So I finished my 1st run and ended up
getting stabbed and dying on the floor.
I really feel like shit right now, I can't believe how it effected me. All that work and progress to get stabbed in the back.
So what do I do now? Just play through the game again but make different choices? I'm a little confused at how to get other endings. Do I need to use a guide? Is it possible I will just end up with that ending again or is it locked out now?

I never played this kind of game before.

So I finished my 1st run and ended up
getting stabbed and dying on the floor.
I really feel like shit right now, I can't believe how it effected me. All that work and progress to get stabbed in the back.
So what do I do now? Just play through the game again but make different choices? I'm a little confused at how to get other endings. Do I need to use a guide? Is it possible I will just end up with that ending again or is it locked out now?

I never played this kind of game before.

Choose different doors this time. Then again. You don't NEED a guide -- it's certainly very possible to get it all figured out on your own, but if after a few endings you want to get things laid out, use a spoiler-free walkthrough (easiest way: google IMAGE SEARCH "999 spoiler free walkthrough") and get every ending.

Shiggy

Did the submarine and safe ending. Not sure whether I'm going for a third one to get through all rooms. The second playthrough wasn't quite as interesting anymore.

A nice game for a rainy day.

Top Bottom