• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Torraz

Well, that fourth playthrough is coming to an end very fast. Very few new scenes, since I did all the different rooms in playthroughs 1 - 3.

Some very interesting info:
Mrs. Always-gets-killed's twin daughters were on the ship. Seven was a cop who found (and presumably resuced them since they returned alive). Santa's sister died in the same year that the twins were on the boat. Perhaps she was as well?

Ace is the president of the company that conducted the experiment, and he is unable to put pictures into the boxes. Does he perhaps suffer from this disease that was mentioned where people cannot differentiate between human faces?

:edit: Finished that playthrough. Looking forward to the true end tomorrow.

Busaiku

So I'm just about finished with the 4th run,
Letter, after Knife, Submarine, and Axe.
As expected, Ace was the big bad evil guy, but not Zero (which I'd thought).
I did think Zero was Snake for the longest time, but maybe it's June? Don't think she'd have a motive or anything though.
I dunno, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

In any case though, the last 2 endings I got
Axe and Letter
have made me like the game less.
Didn't like Snake and Clover going all superhuman.
Don't like Ace being as boring a villain as he is.

Also not a fan of some inconsistencies, though it's possible that it might be due to my poor reading skills (since I'm really rushing through these multiple endings), or
it might be answered in the true end
or something.
Stuff like why Clover went all berserk if she saw Snake "dead", despite her knowing that he has a fake arm, but she never saw that, despite seeing the remains.
Or why Snake had his arm after he went through the 9 door, after he abandoned his 2 bracelet.
I also don't get how Guy X's 2 bracelet worked, despite Snake having his as well. Yeah, you can change the numbers, but given the 0 bracelet, it still functions like the number it's supposed to. But then again, I guess since there were 2 or so 6 bracelets, I guess there can be multiple representatives of a number.
And I'm definitely not sure why Ace or Snake/Junpei/Seven are able to get through those doors if they don't deactivate the dummy bracelets. When Clover cut off everyone's hands, that made sense, since she still had their hands. I didn't even realize this might be an issue until she cut off everyone's hands.

I dunno, some of those probably are me not reading right, but if not, definitely annoying me.
Or stuff being in the True End or something though, whatever.

Still though, given everything that's been going on, I definitely like the way I chose to do things
1. Knife, 2. Submarine, 3. Axe, 4. Letter
It seems like the natural progression to me.

Torraz

So I'm just about finished with the 4th run,
Letter, after Knife, Submarine, and Axe.
As expected, Ace was the big bad evil guy, but not Zero (which I'd thought).
I did think Zero was Snake for the longest time, but maybe it's June? Don't think she'd have a motive or anything though.
I dunno, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

In any case though, the last 2 endings I got
Axe and Letter
have made me like the game less.
Didn't like Snake and Clover going all superhuman.
Don't like Ace being as boring a villain as he is.

Also not a fan of some inconsistencies, though it's possible that it might be due to my poor reading skills (since I'm really rushing through these multiple endings), or
it might be answered in the true end
or something.
Stuff like why Clover went all berserk if she saw Snake "dead", despite her knowing that he has a fake arm, but she never saw that, despite seeing the remains.
Or why Snake had his arm after he went through the 9 door, after he abandoned his 2 bracelet.
I also don't get how Guy X's 2 bracelet worked, despite Snake having his as well. Yeah, you can change the numbers, but given the 0 bracelet, it still functions like the number it's supposed to. But then again, I guess since there were 2 or so 6 bracelets, I guess there can be multiple representatives of a number.
And I'm definitely not sure why Ace or Snake/Junpei/Seven are able to get through those doors if they don't deactivate the dummy bracelets. When Clover cut off everyone's hands, that made sense, since she still had their hands. I didn't even realize this might be an issue until she cut off everyone's hands.

I dunno, some of those probably are me not reading right, but if not, definitely annoying me.
Or stuff being in the True End or something though, whatever.

Still though, given everything that's been going on, I definitely like the way I chose to do things
1. Knife, 2. Submarine, 3. Axe, 4. Letter
It seems like the natural progression to me.

I really liked my progression as well
knife -> axe -> sub -> letter

I think your second complaint is a matter of interpretation:
I just did that ending last night. I think it is mentioned Snake's bracelet can be slipped off. The way I took that is that he can take off the bracelet without taking off his arm as well. Perhaps, a secondary reason for the name "snake" (= snake artists in the circus who can bend their bodies into unnatural shapes). I think had he taken his entire arm off, the text would have been phrased differently. Thus, perhaps his fake arm is made up of a type of material that can be bent/squished/shaped in order to take off the bracelet.

Mostly agree on the other points.
Never thought about how Clover did not recognize that Snake's corpse did not have a fake arm... Definitely puts her as my least favorite character, if there is no other explanation in the true end

Busaiku

Almost finished now...
just unlocked the library secret door before charge died.

So, as I thought some things that I thought were inconsistencies were just me not paying attention enough
well, I think it's just the needing a hand
Well, I didn't initially think it would be an inconsistency, just that
Axe ending
threw me off. That ending sucked.

But now the
Guy X thing seems even more weird. And then "number 9" would also be weird.
Still not done yet, so these can definitely still be addressed.

I didn't like
the DEM moment for Right/Left to unlock the coffin.
It "fits" with the stuff going on, I guess? But it just left a really bad taste.

And then
writing off Clover's ignorance of Snake's arm as just shock still doesn't feel right. Of course that would be a shocking moment, but seeing that terrible scene seems like it would draw immediate attention to the arm, just like Junpei and the others pretty much immediately noticed.
What I can appreciate though is
this not being brought up in every scenario, that butterfly effect and whatnot

Those things aren't changing though, so not too keen on that.

Well, the rest will be tomorrow, and I'm interested in
how they address June and whatnot

MrBS

So after shelving this game for a year after getting a few of the ending I played through the rest last week. What a disservice I paid to this game by leaving it this long. You haven't beaten this game until you see true end. Incredible stuff. I don't have to wait too long for the sequel either. Good times.

Torraz

Man, I don't know how you could stop in the middle of it! That ending grabbed me and would not let go.

Depending on how long it is I misjudged where I was. I stopped right before the "new content".

On my very first playthrough I, by coincidence, already made all the "correct" choices. Only due to the way the game was programmed did I not get the true ending on my first run.

The only "new" content during this run so far were a few lines here and there and
the extended Clover - Junpei conversation
. Since I did not know how long the final rooms and the actual ending sequence would take, and it was already like 1am I rather quit ;).

Torraz

Man, I don't know how you could stop in the middle of it! That ending grabbed me and would not let go.

I stopped directly after
inputting the 8 numbers for Zero
Pretty much directly after this I was completely hooked and could not stop. Luckily I stopped when I did, because the game went on for a lot longer than I had anticipated.

---

Well. It's done, the true-end.

Overall most of my questions were well answered. I am pretty impressed how things wrapped up. The biggest problem is having to wait until mid~ish November until Amazon sends me my PAL copy of the next game...

+
- I really liked how well the game portrayed a sense of urgency even without an in-game time limit
- the soundtrack was decent enough
- good motivation for several playthroughs (i usually never replay games)
- good length, appropriate amount of new content for other paths. I was honestly very surprised by how much longer the true ending path took.
- trying to guess what would happen was pretty fun

- (mostly very minor)
- slow text scrolling
- skipping (of text that has already been seen) is not a toggle, but one has to hold a button
- the soundtrack could have been better. there were no real standout tracks in my opinion. In an absolute sense it was pretty good, but in the relative sense, for example when comparing it to Umineko it was subpar. I think the game could have been tenser, more euphoric etc. if the soundtrack had been better or less minimalistic.

Busaiku

Sorry, Aksys, the localization of this game failed.
Still wrapping up, so don't have full thoughts yet, but wow, c'mon.

Well, I'll wrap up after I eat.

Torraz

Just saw that finishing the game took me 22:50. This is with skipping all the text that I was able to. I finished most puzzles without a FAQ, only for 2 was that assistance needed.

creid

Never found a good recap online so I'm replaying the true end path to prep myself for VLR. After about 3 hours of skimming I've just passed the final room choice. Hopefully I can get my mind re-blown before my GS gets VLR in!

Busaiku

Alright, finished it, there wasn't much left I guess.

Anyways, I really didn't like the events of the ending at all, but the way it was handled definitely blew me away.
Easily the best way to handle that ever.

It helped that I accidentally spoiled myself about what it would entail (but not the details) last night.
I thought I was gonna absolutely hate it based on that, and I did, but again, the way it was handled was just so good.

Anyways, definitely not looking forward to Virtue's Last Reward as much now.

Belisarius

Neo Member
"Seek a door that carries a [q]"
How is someone with no Japanese knowledge supposed to understand that?

It's not a small thing either, it's pretty darn important.

That information is given to them on a note, which has a 9 (that looks sort of like a lower-case "q") written on it. The twist in this case is visual (9->q) instead of "auditory" (ku->q).

"Seek a door that carries a [q]"
How is someone with no Japanese knowledge supposed to understand that?

It's not a small thing either, it's pretty darn important.

In the English version, it was written on a note. The flashback at the end shows Zero speaking the line through the PA system, but it wasn't that way at the start in this version.

Busaiku

That information is given to them on a note, which has a 9 (that looks sort of like a lower-case "q") written on it. The twist in this case is visual (9->q) instead of "auditory" (ku->q).

I thought they were hearing the information, that's why they cut to the speaker.
In the English version, it was written on a note. The flashback at the end shows Zero speaking the line through the PA system, but it wasn't that way at the start in this version.
Was it? I guess my memory sucks, cause I thought I remember everything being through the PA in the beginning as well.
The only thing I remember being written, was the braille note that Snake got, and I don't remember it mentioning that, just the 3-5/digital root thing.

Belisarius

Neo Member
I thought they were hearing the information, that's why they cut to the speaker.

Was it? I guess my memory sucks, cause I thought I remember everything being through the PA in the beginning as well.
The only thing I remember being written, was the braille note that Snake got, and I don't remember it mentioning that, just the 3-5/digital root thing.

In the original Japanese version, Zero does tell them over a speaker. Since we obviously couldn't do that, we changed it in the English version to be a note. The speaker appears because Zero still addresses them over the speaker, he just doesn't tell them the rules that way. You can see the actual chunk of script here, if you want.

Busaiku

In the original Japanese version, Zero does tell them over a speaker. Since we obviously couldn't do that, we changed it in the English version to be a note. The speaker appears because Zero still addresses them over the speaker, he just doesn't tell them the rules that way. You can see the actual chunk of script here, if you want.

Ahh ok.
In that case, great job Aksys!

Definitely helped that it is a VN in this case.
Though it looks like Virtue's Last Reward might keep the western audience more in mind, so that's good too.

Belisarius

Neo Member
0_o

That's awesome, I never realized that.
q=ku=9=q *Mind Re-Blown*

Yeah, it's a pretty great twist. :) It's a bit more powerful of a revelation in Japanese, but I think our solution worked pretty well, given that the original twist was based on
how Japanese numbers sound.

Ahh ok.
In that case, great job Aksys!

Definitely helped that it is a VN in this case.
Though it looks like Virtue's Last Reward might keep the western audience more in mind, so that's good too.

Thanks, glad I could help. :) And glad you enjoyed the game!

You translation guys did a fantastic job with that revelation considering the circumstances. I hadn't even thought about the
q=kyuu
thing. Nice!

Busaiku

One thing that I am confused about though is...
Why was Lotus there? Yeah, her daughters were part of the experiment, but she had absolutely no connection to anyone there.
Did Zero just need someone to die all the time or something.

Mr. Fix

One thing that I am confused about though is...
Why was Lotus there? Yeah, her daughters were part of the experiment, but she had absolutely no connection to anyone there.
Did Zero just need someone to die all the time or something.

Akane and Santa wanted to recreate the game/players exactly as she had seen in 9 years prior. I know that still doesn't answer why Lotus was there originally, but that's pretty much all I got out of it.

Just finished the true ending

WHAT THE FUCK

Is there a decent write up/explanation of this game anywhere?

http://www.aksysgames.com/999/answers

I was so mind-fucked.

Coldsnap

I hate being slow at playing games. Finally beat it two days ago and working on my second ending. This game.. this game right here.. I think about it so much when I'm not playing it and I'm thrilled to see where the story is headed.

I'm a few hours into my first playthrough. Really enjoying it. I'll definitely be stopping back in here to take in some of that black text afterwards, lol.

Only issue... the translation could be a bit better. Too often dialogue and narration stops feeling organic and suddenly makes me think "this is written by a geeky 20-something who doesn't write any better than I do." I hope VNR has a slightly more professional feeling translation.

Edit: There are some really weird, arbitrary quirks in this. I'm looking at the
two mannequins
, and I have the "hint" sheet for the puzzle in the File, but you can't look at the File while you're in the minigame. Weird-ass design.

Edit edit: "To open this door, we'll need to find the key that fits this keyhole." "You mean, if we do something somewhere else, this panel will react." "It looks like we need to find something to plug into this slot!" "You press E to enter, and C to clear!" I get the distinct feeling that this game thinks its players aren't the sharpest cliches in the whatever.

Yet another edit: Finally hit an actual puzzle, just a minute after bitching lol. Second one involving
pins
. Took me almost an hour. That's more like it.

Edit: Aaand Bad Ending. To the second playthrough!

Just got my 4th ending,
the safe.
That went on forever! Wayyyy longer than the other 3 I'd reached. Still, left my mind spinning. Eliminated the two possibilities I thought most likely for Zero. I've got two more though...

Next up I go for the
Allice
ending. Looking forward to that one. Apparently I need to allot a lot more time for the better endings though...

AniHawk

Just got my 4th ending,
the safe.
That went on forever! Wayyyy longer than the other 3 I'd reached. Still, left my mind spinning. Eliminated the two possibilities I thought most likely for Zero. I've got two more though...

Next up I go for the
Allice
ending. Looking forward to that one. Apparently I need to allot a lot more time for the better endings though...

that is the true ending. after you get the safe, you can go for the true ending.

hao chi

Just got my 4th ending,
the safe.

Next up I go for the
Allice

You only say that because you haven't seen the true ending. :D

nearing the end of vlr, and i have to say, 999 is proving the better story by far. vlr is the better game, though.

Could a great ending potentially change that? I plan to play it at some point. Almost entirely to
find out who K is and see if Junpei and Akane reunite.

AniHawk

Could a great ending potentially change that? I plan to play it at some point. Almost entirely to
find out who K is and see if Junpei and Akane reunite.

well, nearing the final end and not much has changed. 999's final ending is something really special, and i mean in a sense that the game should be required material for any video game writer/designer-who-feels-like-telling-a-story

vlr is just a thing with a bunch of twists, which is what 999 was before the final twist.

vlr has much more in common with 999 than it lets on though. impressed with it on that front.

Is it still possible to get
the coffin ending
after I've got the
safe and true endings
? It's the only one I have left, for the sake of completion.

Chris R

Ok so yea, this is fun. One ending down
the coffin ending I guess?
more to go. Sucks I can't skip rooms I've already solved like I can with the text (so nice!)

Will I be able to get all endings by just taking the various paths or will there be very specific things I must do to get certain endings that would take me more than 6 play through to discover?

Will I be able to get all endings by just taking the various paths or will there be very specific things I must do to get certain endings that would take me more than 6 play through to discover?
You could probably figure out what to do to get the various endings, but I think it is completely fine to use an ending path guide after the first two endings or so. If you get a spoiler free image or something, it's very useful.

Carlisle

Finally finished this last night
and got the true ending
. What a ride! clocked in at 30 hours altogether. According to my 3DS activity chart, it's my most-played game since I got my 3DS at launch, hah! Now I can finally read through these spoilered posts and verify that I understood everything correctly.

Man, as I was progressing through the endings, and even for a good chunk of the true ending, I was convinced that I, as the dude holding his DS, was the one transmitting morphogenetic information to Junpei. The events and dialogue were really confirming those suspicions too. There were conversations about people "controlling" others through thoughts, and things like how in the true ending Junpei wasn't surprised about Ace because it was like he already knew... and figuring out the code for the coffin...

Then considering that in order to get the true ending, you had to get the safe one first... I thought the game was implying that because I had experienced those things I could transmit that info to Junpei through the DS on the true ending. Kinda Kojima-esque. The actual ending was of course very different, and even more mind blowing, but I threw myself way off that scent haha. Would have still been a neat concept.

Chris R

You could probably figure out what to do to get the various endings, but I think it is completely fine to use an ending path guide after the first two endings or so. If you get a spoiler free image or something, it's very useful.

Is there a preferred endings flowchart? About to get my second ending here in less than an hour... Loved the bit of text between Me and
June talking about getting wet...
Great reason to go for the wrong answer now and then :D

Is there a preferred endings flowchart? About to get my second ending here in less than an hour... Loved the bit of text between Me and
June talking about getting wet...
Great reason to go for the wrong answer now and then :D
This one looks to be very nice and spoiler free, as much as it can be. The one on Gamefaqs names the various rooms you explore, whereas this one sticks to bare bones. There are still some very light spoilers using a word or two to name things, but it's not going to make any sense at all out of context.

ENDINGS FLOWCHART - http://i.imgur.com/OwyrZ.png

One thing it doesn't mention (mild spoiler, nothing story related)
you need to get the "safe" ending before you can get the "true" ending.

Chris R

Well that was fun. Didn't care for a few endings but nothing is perfect. Time to read this thread and check for vlr deals. I did have a few questions but I'm hoping the thread has the answers.

edit: well the question I had earlier seems to have been cleared up in reading the first 15 pages or so. Great game but I'd love to see more challenging puzzles (honestly, why have the puzzles if they are going to be that easy :( ) Only good thing about the easy puzzles was that plowing through them to get to other endings was quick and painless. Didn't really need the flowchart but it was good to have (I got the almost true ending early so I knew what I had to do when it came down to it tonight).

Still have a single puzzle left to get though. At least something other than Pushmo/Crashmo has me picking my 3DS up.

Basch

I'm bumping this hoping for help. I don't know what ending I got and I'm too scared to look because I'm trying to avoid spoilers. Can someone let me know if I got the true ending or something else?

The game ended with the following events: Snake and Ace burned in the incinerator, Junpei left Lotus and Seven to go get June and Santa, Junpei found June in the chapel, Zero announces he lost, and then Junpei goes looking for him and when he comes back June's gone, then Junpei gets knocked out by the gas. Game ends asking if I'd like to continue with a preview after the credits: "Preview A".

I'm going to go back through the game to hopefully get the rest of the endings, but I wanted to move on to VLR. I liked the ending I got. The loop back to the beginning is pretty cool, but I really wanted to know what happened to everyone. I'm assuming Santa escaped with Lotus and Seven. I don't know what happened to Kanny/June. I don't think she's Zero, even though it seems like they tried hinting at it. I'm pretty sure Clover was Zero, but the last message left a tiny doubt as I thought she was dead. If she was alive, I can't figure out how she could not notice Snake was in danger and wouldn't try to save him.

What should I do GAF? Your help would be much appreciated.

Korigama

What you got wasn't the true ending, but rather the safe ending. Truth be told, it would've been better if you had seen that one much later, like second from last. Viewing the safe ending means that the path to the true ending is now open. Though you could just go straight to it now that it is unlocked, I would really recommend against this, as you would miss out on quite a bit if you did. What's known as the coffin ending was just a cut-off version of the true ending, which you would normally get if you didn't see the safe ending first.

Try to view the remaining endings in the following order (pretty much placing them in order of what would likely have the least to greatest impact, subjectively):
knife, axe, sub, true

There is a spoiler-free flow chart that you can use as well.

Basch

What you got wasn't the true ending, but rather the safe ending. Truth be told, it would've been better if you had seen that one much later, like second from last. Viewing the safe ending means that the path to the true ending is now open. Though you could just go straight to it now that it is unlocked, I would really recommend against this, as you would miss out on quite a bit if you did. What's known as the coffin ending was just a cut-off version of the true ending, which you would normally get if you didn't see the safe ending first.

Try to view the remaining endings in the following order (pretty much placing them in order of what would likely have the least to greatest impact, subjectively):
knife, axe, sub, true

There is a spoiler-free flow chart that you can use as well.

I don't think it matters which one I saw first. I absolutely adore the game.

I have a lot of questions left but figured some would be answered if there was a true ending. I saw the flowchart on gamefaqs and am thinking of using it to map the rest of my playthroughs.

I'm so excited. This game was absolutely amazing! I loved every second of it. I can't believe it took me this long to play the game, but I'm happy I finally got around to it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll muster through the other endings before the true one
(knife, axe, sub and then finally true)
. Are we supposed to hold the digital pad right to skip to the new material?

Korigama

Yes, holding right does let you skip through any old material. Skipping is automatically disabled once you get to anything new you haven't reached before.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing. When going for the
sub
ending, try using that as an excuse to go through door
for additional backstory; I also recommend this because said path always automatically leads to door
afterward, which is a guaranteed ticket to that ending every time.

J_Ark

I just posted this theory on another 999 topic, trying to fill some plot holes. Only for people who had seen the True Ending.

I've been thinking about the Akane paradox since finishing the game yesterday. I've read many theories along the web and everyone left me unsatisfied. I'll try to explain my theory.

1) We know from the game that Akane is near the best transmitter on morphogenetic field and also a good receptor.

2) Junpei has a special link with Akane because of their childhood relationship, making him a good transmitter and receiver for Akane.

3) Santa is suitable for the experiment because he is a good receiver for her sister.

My theory is based on a something-alike of Schrödinger approach, being the intense situation of Akane on the incinerator (remember she is overpowered in therms of treating morphogenetic field) the trigger of a time paradox only solvable through the second nonary games.

Let's assume that Akane is both alive and dead on the same timeline. In therms of the paradox, by the time the first games ends, the chances of going through all the process and acomplishing the true ending (with a poor runt like Aoi/Santa without the backup of a full organization and the money of stock market actions of Ace's chemical company) are almost 0%, so the Akane's dead ending is the "real one" and It's the one lived by Snake/Seven/Santa. But in my theory the Akane of the "Akane's alive" ending was still there, only in form of pure morphogenetic field force.

The "alive Akane" just starts to talk to Santa's mind through the morphogenetic field, enduring him to accomplish all the requisites to bring the second nonary game to reality, telling him all the things she saw, about Junpei, about her being saved through that games, etc. Being subtle at the beginning (remember de ~0%/~100% of chances of bringing her back to live at that time) making the voice and the presence of "alive Akane" more vivid through the efforts of Santa.

With all the info all of us can obtain from the games (and lived by Akane), Santa starts to build the Zero organization just to bring her sister back to life.

On the same form Akane fades away when the events diverge from the way the paradox should be driven to bring her to life, why don't look It on the other way? "Alive Akane" being materialised (first on poor condition and later bettering her condition) as far as Santa keep chasing the True Ending?

There's a strong image in my mind where Santa assembling a new Gigantic copy on Nevada desert and discovering inside an ill Akane, the first real sign that the voice on his head was real and tangible and the proof he's doing It right.

This theory explains why Seven and Snake doesn't remember rescuing Akane 9 years ago, or not until the paradox is finally destroyed when Junpei sends the Sudoku's code to young Akane.

The fades of Akane could be explained because, as the paradox endline aproaches, the margin of error is minimal, so any changes drives alive Akane to the reality where she was incinerated (confirmed by the author).

Top Bottom