• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A bull won't go down without a fight (40 people injured in Spain)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Video at the link.

Forty people, including a 10-year-old, were injured when a bull leapt over barriers at a Spanish bullring and ran amok among spectators.

The child was reported to be in intensive care with abdominal injuries at a Pamplona hospital and three people were in the emergency ward after being trampled when the bull escaped the ring in Tafalla, northern Spain yesterday.

Video footage showed the bull landing in the stands among hundreds of spectators after jumping high enough to clear both the 1.5 metre barriers around the ring and a narrow alley where the bullfighters and officials stand.

Some spectators tried to keep the bull still by holding it by its tail, while others hurled capes and missiles, causing it to charge. The bull was eventually cornered and a rope tied around its neck.

The incident happened during an event in which people try to provoke the bull to charge them.

The bull had already jumped twice into the alley surrounding the ring, police said. After damaging a horn, it was about to be returned to the corral when it escaped.

A 47-year-old man who was gored in the back was among half a dozen spectators taken by ambulance to the hospital at Pamplona, home to the San Fermín bull runs.

The accident comes amid an intense debate in Spain about bullfighting, which was banned by the north-eastern region of Catalonia last month.

About a dozen people have died at bull festivals in the past two years. The latest victim was gored to death earlier this month during a bull-dodging event in Godella, eastern Spain.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/19/bull-jumps-into-stands-spain

Shame about the kid, but generally speaking the brutal fucks had it coming.

Majmun

"including a 10 year old"

Why does the media always do this? Why not jus mention each individual then? Stupid sensationalists.

I could go on to say how this was well deserved and how brutal bullfights are, but it would make me feel like a hypocrite because the animals that suffer in the meat industry probably had a worse life than this bull.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Second said:
"including a 10 year old"

Why does the media always do this? Why not jus mention each individual then? Stupid sensationalists.

In this case the 10 year old seems to be the only one seriously injured.

ymmv

Banned
The incident happened during an event in which people try to provoke the bull to charge them.

This was an "animal friendly" form of bull fighting where the toreadors just taunt the animal but not kill it. It's ironic that the audience would not have gotten hurt at a traditional bull fight where they kill the animal.

KingGondo

Banned
My reaction to this video was the same as the guy who taped the Boston thugs getting beat with the baseball bat.

YES YES YES

Play with fire, you're gonna get burned. I hope the injured people recover, but bullfighting is a stupid and brutal "tradition" that needs to end.

P.S. Thanks for the clarification, ymmv. Makes it less reprehensible, but this fact seems to be offset by the fact that it's far more dangerous to people than "traditional" bullfighting.

skybaby

Herbspicesoy said:
I could go on to say how this was well deserved and how brutal bullfights are, but it would make me feel like a hypocrite because the animals that suffer in the meat industry probably had a worse life than this bull.
But they serve a purpose, to feed. Not entertainment for the mentally challenged.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It wasn't a bullfight. Read the article.

It was a bull dodging contest, which makes the situation all the more ironic.

Nickiepoo

All opinions of the actual morals of this situation aside I have to hand it to this bull for actually managing to jump that wall.

pakkit

Banned
Herbspicesoy said:
I like you.

Daigoro

weekend_warrior said:
John Dunbar
correct about everything
(Today, 11:19 AM)
Reply | Quote

one of the most apt tags on GAF.

Herbspicesoy said:

so because the suffering might have been somewhat less for the bulls you'd feel like a hypocrite?

rethink that maybe.

SUPREME1

Banned
Daigoro said:
so because the suffering might have been somewhat less for the bulls you'd feel like a hypocrite?

Might have been somewhat less? :lol

Let us compare:

Hurting the bull's ego by dodging his horns and loling at him.

vs.

Stabbing him in repeatedly with swords until the beast is so completely exhausted he lies down and bleeds to death.

Yeah, it appears to be slightly less suffering involved. :lol :lol

Chavelo said:
I like how you like his liking.

I mean, you DID read the article, right?
I read the part where a bunch of people were provoking an animal for no fucking reason, why should i feel sorry for them when it backfired?

Kurtofan

Daigoro said:
one of the most apt tags on GAF.

rethink that maybe.
Somewhat?
There is a huge gap between getting stabbed to death and getting angry for a while.

Yeah. Pretty ironic that this happened during a Recortadores event.

But also, that's what happens with huge horned animals. If they get pissed off, shit's going down.

pakkit

Banned
flintstryker said:
I read the part where a bunch of people were provoking an animal for no fucking reason, why should i feel sorry for them when it backfired?
Nope, sorry, you're still being stupid.

GAF's always too quick to judge other cultures.

Chavelo

flintstryker said:

Kurtofan said:
There is a huge gap between getting stabbed to death and getting angry for a while.

People are getting this confused with bull-fighting... When it's bull-dodging... >.>

:p

pakkit said:
Nope, sorry, you're still being stupid.

GAF's always too quick to judge other cultures.
I really don't give a fuck whether its their culture or not, i am simply not going to feel sorry for people who got what was coming to them.

Say for example its a countries culture to have people dodge knives being thrown at them and they completely have a choice in doing it, should i be sorry for them when one of the knife get thrown in their heart?

pakkit

Banned
flintstryker said:
Say for example its a countries culture to have people dodge knives being thrown at them and they completely have a choice in doing it, should i be sorry for them when one of the knife get thrown in their heart?
This is definitely an appropriate comparison to make to bull-dodging.

I wouldn't ever go to one of these events, but saying that the spectators got what was coming to them is silly.

Here's another stupid comparison: Many horses in horse races are mistreated, so that gives them the right to jump over the barricades and trample the thousands of spectators it draws in the US.

You're misconstruing the act, the participants, and the spectators.

Dresden

flintstryker said:
I really don't give a fuck whether its their culture or not, i am simply not going to feel sorry for people who got what was coming to them.

So... did you actually read the article?

Kurtofan

flintstryker said:
Bull dodging doesn't involve knives or any other harmful objects,it just involves a man jumping around trying to avoid a bull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom