• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

He was most likely still in Winterfell during the war, when Lord Ned was risking his life. He was just a boy back then and the only heir, there wouldn't have been a Stark in Winterfell otherwise. He most likely joined the black after the war and after Robb was born, for reasons mentioned above.

Then why didn't he fight in the war? I don't think he's so much younger than Ned, like 3-4 years at most. I always assumed it was because he had already joined the NW then, but maybe it was because there always needs to be a Stark in Winterfell?

But even if it went down like you said, he would have still been 3rd in line when he joined the NW. So I still think he left for the Wall only because he wanted to make his own place in the world, not because he was involved with any R+L=J craziness.

jett

D-Member
Then why didn't he fight in the war? I don't think he's so much younger than Ned, like 3-4 years at most. I always assumed it was because he had already joined the NW then, but maybe it was because there always needs to be a Stark in Winterfell?

Remember that in the books Ned was barely of age when the whole Mad King stuff happened. Anyway you could make the case that they didn't want the entire Stark lineage to disappear.

The weird thing about Benjen/Starks is that there are so few of them. I can't help but think it would make more sense for Benjen to marry, have some sons, etc lol. But I guess from his perspective, he wasn't going to become Lord Of Winterfell so the Wall was more tempting; and it was an honorable decision given the Starks history with the Wall.

Or maybe he had sex with Lyanna and was shamed to the Wall, and Lyanna made Ned promise to raise their bastard :eek:

gutshot

Remember that in the books Ned was barely of age when the whole Mad King stuff happened. Anyway you could make the case that they didn't want the entire Stark lineage to disappear.

Ned was 19 when the Rebellion started. So Benjen was probably 15/16, certainly old enough to go to war. So yeah, they probably had him stay behind because "there must always be a Stark at Winterfell."

Or maybe he had sex with Lyanna and was shamed to the Wall, and Lyanna made Ned promise to raise their bastard :eek:

Yay! More incest! Does anybody NOT have sex with their sister in this series? ;)

Ned was 19 when the Rebellion started. So Benjen was probably 15/16, certainly old enough to go to war. So yeah, they probably had him stay behind because "there must always be a Stark at Winterfell."

Yay! More incest! Does anybody NOT have sex with their sister in this series? ;)

Jon needs to fuck every girl he could possibly be related to like Sansa, Arya, and Daenerys. Hell, throw Zombie Cat in there as well

bengraven

The weird thing about Benjen/Starks is that there are so few of them. I can't help but think it would make more sense for Benjen to marry, have some sons, etc lol. But I guess from his perspective, he wasn't going to become Lord Of Winterfell so the Wall was more tempting; and it was an honorable decision given the Starks history with the Wall.

I think the bolded part is the truth of it. I guess I never questioned why he did it. He was the youngest, with Brandon, Lyanna, and Ned above him and when Ned became Winterfell and had Robb, there was little chance that he would ever become Lord. And maybe he didn't want it. And as you said, the Starks have had a close relationship with the Night's Watch for so long that it was natural for them to send one.

He seemed willing and happy with his decision.

apana

I think the bolded part is the truth of it. I guess I never questioned why he did it. He was the youngest, with Brandon, Lyanna, and Ned above him and when Ned became Winterfell and had Robb, there was little chance that he would ever become Lord. And maybe he didn't want it. And as you said, the Starks have had a close relationship with the Night's Watch for so long that it was natural for them to send one.

Yeah the reason Benjen went was because he wanted to go. He became the first ranger so he was obviously motivated. I remember in the tv show, Ned talked about how Bran could raise castles or be lord of a holdfast and Bran himself wanted to be a knight of the kingsguard so it wasn't like being a younger brother means you automatically are sent to the wall. Or maybe Rickon was the one destined to man the wall, lol.

pulga

Banned

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1328
Q/A w/ GRRM

6) When, specifically, did Benjen join the NW? Was it a couple of years after Ned returned, or immediately?

It was within a few months of Ned's returning. The reason being that there always was a Stark at Winterfell, so he had to stay there until Ned returned. GRRM refused to say the reason why Benjen had to join the NW.

So he confirmed he stayed back because of the old "Stark in Winterfell" adage, but far more interesting...GRRM refused? Something is definitely up, it CAN'T just be because Benjen wanted to take the black out of the goodness of his soul.

apana

Isn't the whole "outcast kid who nobody likes is actually the son of beautiful prince and princess" thing getting kind of old by now? I'd prefer Jon was just fathered by Ned off some fisherwoman like those people told Davos. More likely though is that Lyanna or whoever Jon's mother is, is alive and currently employed as a fisherwoman in order to hide her identity. That's why GRRM was giving those hints in ADWD.

pulga

Banned
Another thing that's been bothering me... who the fuck is Septa Lemore really? I've read some speculation of her being the long thought dead Ashara Dayne.

gutshot

Another thing that's been bothering me... who the fuck is Septa Lemore really? I've read some speculation of her being the long thought dead Ashara Dayne.

Yeah, that is the general consensus. Another supposedly dead character brought back to life. It seems it is very hard to actually kill someone in Westeros.

gutshot

Has Martin started writing yet?

No. This is what he was doing today.

136952231.jpg

He's either wearing a corset or he's lost weight.

He seems to have lost a good amount since the hospital stay he had early last year. Hopefully he keeps it up - and not out of my selfish desire for him to finish the books, but for his own health in general. Dude just got married, I hope he lives a long and prosperous life

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Wonder how they will handle the battles with Tyrion in them in season 2. In GOT they just had Tyrion getting knocked out before the battle started, he's got a much more pivotal role though in battles in Clash.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Wonder how they will handle the battles with Tyrion in them in season 2. In GOT they just had Tyrion getting knocked out before the battle started, he's got a much more pivotal role though in battles in Clash.

They better not cop out with Tyrion in the battle of blackwater I would be insanely dissappointed.

His actions in the battle in game of thrones along with the blackwater are a big part of the reason why I love Tyrion. He knows his physical limitations but when the hound runs scared he knows he must lead them into battle to shame them all into fighting with him. The moment where he wonders if his battle fever/bloodlust is the same as Jaime's is genuinely great. I also think his battle in season one is a big reason why his father trusts him to go serve as hand of the king until the war is over. His role in actually keeping the van from collapsing shows he isn't just around to fuck whores get drunk and mooch off lannister gold.

Would have been better to skip the battle entirely in season one than show him get knocked out on accident like it's a bad episode of America's funniest home videos. That one moment was done so poorly that it bothered me more than everything else the entire season combined.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Yeah, they better cut his nose off as well. Is Pod in the show?

Yes and he looks very similar to what I had pictured. As for the nose, they could change it to some other disfigurement that wouldn't need crazy makeup every single scene but there has to be something.

http://winteriscoming.net/2011/08/podrick-and-pyat-pree-cast/
No one would have a problem with A Dance With Dragons if the last two books hadn't taken 11 years.

I have to agree here. Since I read all of the books in less than 5 weeks the only thing that bothered me was mereen and honestly a big part of that was that I gave up keeping names straight. If I waited 5-10 years? I'd be mad as hell.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Yes and he looks very similar to what I had pictured. As for the nose, they could change it to some other disfigurement that wouldn't need crazy makeup every single scene but there has to be something.

Looks ok. Nah needs to be the nose, it's what make's him into more of a monster in everyone's eyes just cause it would be so butt ugly.

Wrayfield

They better not cop out with Tyrion in the battle of blackwater I would be insanely dissappointed.

His actions in the battle in game of thrones along with the blackwater are a big part of the reason why I love Tyrion. He knows his physical limitations but when the hound runs scared he knows he must lead them into battle to shame them all into fighting with him. The moment where he wonders if his battle fever/bloodlust is the same as Jaime's is genuinely great. I also think his battle in season one is a big reason why his father trusts him to go serve as hand of the king until the war is over. His role in actually keeping the van from collapsing shows he isn't just around to fuck whores get drunk and mooch off lannister gold.

Would have been better to skip the battle entirely in season one than show him get knocked out on accident like it's a bad episode of America's funniest home videos. That one moment was done so poorly that it bothered me more than everything else the entire season combined.

As much as I like Tyrion, him fighting the way it's described in the book is just too far off. There are ways to get away with it, maybe a wound early in the battle or something, he can still pull off some brave stuff. It's got to be the nose though, I agree. Overall, I would like him depicted a bit more negative and torn about what he's done.

There's no way they cut Tyrion's nose off. A wound and a scar, yes, but Dinklage vetoed even having a beard, I don't think he's going for being disfigured for the rest of the series.

I'd give him a scar, no need to lose the nose. He's already considered hideously ugly by medieval standards, no need to go overboard. Especially considering it could impact Dinklage's acting

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

I'm still for the nose, they can just stick a bit of blue on it and ad it in CG or something. If they gave him the mismatched eye's I'd say a big white scar over the black eye would be cool but eh.

Going through Feast, well almost done.......... ho hum.

I really hope Bran and Rickon do what Robb didn't. Listen to the god delivered sigil of your fucking house. If Summer or Shaggy growls at someone, just cut their head off and worry about the consequences later.

Wrayfield

I really hope Bran and Rickon do what Robb didn't. Listen to the god delivered sigil of your fucking house. If Summer or Shaggy growls at someone, just cut their head off and worry about the consequences later.

Yeah, this is kinda fucking stupid of Jon. You fought with wildlings, even some Whitewalkers, but your super-sensitive direwolves growls and you ignore him. You really know nothing, Jon Snow...

Yeah, this is kinda fucking stupid of Jon. You fought with wildlings, even some Whitewalkers, but your super-sensitive direwolves growls and you ignore him. You really know nothing, Jon Snow...

Robb made the same mistake. Only thing he ever did wrong, his wolf was not pleased about. Cost him a kingdom.

LuchaShaq

Banned
As much as I like Tyrion, him fighting the way it's described in the book is just too far off. There are ways to get away with it, maybe a wound early in the battle or something, he can still pull off some brave stuff. It's got to be the nose though, I agree. Overall, I would like him depicted a bit more negative and torn about what he's done.

Why is it way off? In the first battle that was cut he is only really succcessful due to being surrounded by his mountain clans and then the trickery with the headspike.

In the upcoming battle
he is mounted whenever he is successful and flanked by kingsguard, he may be a dwarf and his arms may be short but they are strong enough to do what's described.
It's not like the book turns him into the mini mountain and he destroys everyone 1v10

Wrayfield

Why is it way off? In the first battle that was cut he is only really succcessful due to being surrounded by his mountain clans and then the trickery with the headspike.

In the upcoming battle
he is mounted whenever he is successful and flanked by kingsguard, he may be a dwarf and his arms may be short but they are strong enough to do what's described.
It's not like the book turns him into the mini mountain and he destroys everyone 1v10

Just personal opinion. Ain't no axe big enough to compensate for the reach of an 8 year-old, and I am just being honest here. I don't think he could pull it off. Imo, he could rush off into a battle, but would be taken apart real quick. In the book, from what I remember (been a while), he goes quite berserk and smashes a few guys with his axe before, you know :)

Also, unmarked spoilers, I thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom