• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

It'll either by a Pyrrhic victory for Dany

or

Tyrion and Bronn making a grab for the throne after the wars are fought and everyone is dead.

Pkaz01

re-reading clash for the new season and I love these early arya chapters. They are so disconnected with all the political bullshit thats going on and show the real grimy shit that happens to people. its awesome that there is no way they can just skip this stuff even though it has nothing to do with their main story line.

All these kings and queens are playing their game but aside from Tyrion Clash throws them into the backseat behind Arya who is just running around encountering all sorts of messed up shit.

I need to read Clash of Kings again, particularly the house of the undying scene. I'm not sure but it may have predicted the red wedding. There was a skeleton with a wolf's head at a feast. I assumed that to be the red wedding but I have to go back and check because I remember some of the descriptions not matching up to what happened in the red wedding. I think the crown was different, maybe Dany saw something yet to come or something that happened to a Stark ruler way in the past?

Patchface also foreshadows it in that book

Ithil

I'm expecting Sansa to end up turning on Littlefinger and killing him, to usurp his place. As successful as he's been so far, I don't expect him to end up on top.

Bronn will probably be King by the end.

JerkShep

re-reading clash for the new season and I love these early arya chapters. They are so disconnected with all the political bullshit thats going on and show the real grimy shit that happens to people. its awesome that there is no way they can just skip this stuff even though it has nothing to do with their main story line.

All these kings and queens are playing their game but aside from Tyrion Clash throws them into the backseat behind Arya who is just running around encountering all sorts of messed up shit.

I feel that Arya showed the situation of the Riverlands and the common people a lot better than that awful Brienne POVs. I'm not an Arya fan (especially with the timeskip cut, I've not a good feeling about her storyline..it could become really cheesy, like the 8 years old girl that kills everybody or something...) but I can't wait to see how her story is shown in Season 2, it's probably her best arc to date.

KingK

I feel that Arya showed the situation of the Riverlands and the common people a lot better than that awful Brienne POVs. I'm not an Arya fan (especially with the timeskip cut, I've not a good feeling about her storyline..it could become really cheesy, like the 8 years old girl that kills everybody or something...) but I can't wait to see how her story is shown in Season 2, it's probably her best arc to date.

That was exactly why I had a problem with all the Brienne chapters in AFFC. I don't dislike Brienne as a character, but her entire arc (which had a fairly large chapter count) in that book was basically a retread of Arya's arcs in books 2 and 3, only Arya is a much much more interesting character and it was done better with her.

Puddles

Banned
So the seven kingdoms are:

Winterfell (Starks)
The Vale (Arryns)
Dorne (Martells)
Highgarden (Tyrells)
Riverlands (Tully)
Stormlands (Baratheon)
Westerlands (Lannister)

Were the Iron Islands considered a separate (8th) kingdom, or did they swear fealty to a liege lord?

Winterfell (Starks)
The Vale (Arryns)
Dorne (Martells)
Highgarden (Tyrells)
Riverlands (Tully)
Stormlands (Baratheon)
Westerlands (Lannister)

Were the Iron Islands considered a separate (8th) kingdom, or did they swear fealty to a liege lord?

The Iron Islands ruled the Riverlands before the conquest, together they were one kingdom. The Ironborn King Harren built Harrenhal, but was roasted by dragonfire. The Riverlords revolted against Harren and Aegon rewarded the Tullys with overlordship of the region.

JerkShep

Winterfell (Starks)
The Vale (Arryns)
Dorne (Martells)
Highgarden (Tyrells)
Riverlands (Tully)
Stormlands (Baratheon)
Westerlands (Lannister)

If I remember correctly, the Tully aren't "kings", the original King of the area was from the Iron Islands.

Puddles

Banned
Gotcha.

I must have overlooked that bit of history while reading the books. It explains why Balon was such a god-awful dick.

Seriously, Balon ruined everything. I had such high hopes for a Stark/Greyjoy alliance, with visions of Robb and Theon assaulting Casterly Rock dancing in my head.

Fucking GRRM.

Gotcha.

I must have overlooked that bit of history while reading the books. It explains why Balon was such a god-awful dick.

Seriously, Balon ruined everything. I had such high hopes for a Stark/Greyjoy alliance, with visions of Robb and Theon assaulting Casterly Rock dancing in my head.

Fucking GRRM.

The best part is that the greyjoys weren't even the house of kings for the iron islands. Balon was a dick whose house owed everything to the targaryens. Not the drowned god

The best part is that the greyjoys weren't even the house of kings for the iron islands. Balon was a dick whose house owed everything to the targaryens. Not the drowned god

Owed everything is a bit of a stretch. The Targs killed off the previous dynasty, but it was the Ironborn who chose the Greyjoys to rule over them. That's not the sort of situation that would engender some sort of loyalty, it's not like the Targs directly helped the Greyjoys.

Owed everything is a bit of a stretch. The Targs killed off the previous dynasty, but it was the Ironborn who chose the Greyjoys to rule over them. That's not the sort of situation that would engender some sort of loyalty, it's not like the Targs directly helped the Greyjoys.

Been a while, but I don't think that's right. There wasn't a kingsmoot for thousands of years, what evidence do we have that the iron islanders chose them? My memory is that the targs did. Could be wrong though.

Been a while, but I don't think that's right. There wasn't a kingsmoot for thousands of years, what evidence do we have that the iron islanders chose them? My memory is that the targs did. Could be wrong though.

It's in the AGOT appendix entry for Greyjoy.
When Harren and his sons perished in the fall of Harrenhal, Aegon Targaryen granted the riverlands to House Tully, and allowed the surviving lords of the Iron Islands to revive their ancient custom and chose who should have the primacy among them. They chose Lord Vickon Greyjoy of Pyke.

I guess it doesn't count as a Kingsmoot because it wasn't declaring a King.

bengraven

The Iron Islands ruled the Riverlands before the conquest, together they were one kingdom. The Ironborn King Harren built Harrenhal, but was roasted by dragonfire. The Riverlords revolted against Harren and Aegon rewarded the Tullys with overlordship of the region.

Oh that's interesting. That never sunk in for me.

KingK

Gotcha.

Fucking GRRM.

Not only was Balon Greyjoy a dick, he was a goddamn moron. Attacking the North instead of the Westerlands went directly against his own self interests.

At that point in the saga, the Lannisters were losing the war, and it didn't look possible for them to come back. Half their forces had already been taken out by Robb, and King's Landing was looking to surely be taken by one of the Baratheon brothers. By allying with Robb and the North, the Greyjoy/Stark alliance would have almost assuredly taken out enough of the Lannisters that the Tyrells would not be so willing to enter into an alliance with the side that is clearly losing the war after Renly's death. With the Lannisters utterly defeated, the Greyjoys have a very good chance of being able to remain Kings of the Iron Islands and however much of the Westerlands they're able to carve out for themselves.

Instead, he decides to attack the North like a fucking dumbass, pretty much ensuring a Lannister victory over Robb. With the North defeated, Tywin would have no reason to allow Balon to continue in open rebellion as King of the Iron Islands and would just go put him down again. He had the choice of allying with the side that, if victorious, would allow him to be a king again, or the side that he damn well knows has no interest in letting him rule.

This decision is so unrealistically dumb that it just struck me as GRRM trying to shit on the Starks as much as possible without any founding in logic, just to add some "shock value."

So did the Targeryens not have their own kingdom before Aegon? I thought they lived on Dragonstone and were kings of the area south of the Vale.

They just ruled Dragonstone. Aegon landed at "King's Landing" and founded the city, but before that it was probably part of the Stormlands.

They were from Essos, Valyria specifically. After the natural disaster that wiped out Valyria, they floated around Essos until Aegon decided to invade Westeros with his dragons. I believe Dragonstone was the launching point for his invasion.

I don't think they were floating around Essos. They lived on Dragonstone for a century or so. Though it's mentioned in ADWD that Volantis wanted to ally with the Targs and use their dragons to recreate the Valyrian Empire.

Puddles

Banned
So did the Targeryens not have their own kingdom before Aegon? I thought they lived on Dragonstone and were kings of the area south of the Vale.

They were from Essos, Valyria specifically. After the natural disaster that wiped out Valyria, they floated around Essos until Aegon decided to invade Westeros with his dragons. I believe Dragonstone was the launching point for his invasion.

Not only was Balon Greyjoy a dick, he was a goddamn moron. Attacking the North instead of the Westerlands went directly against his own self interests.

At that point in the saga, the Lannisters were losing the war, and it didn't look possible for them to come back. Half their forces had already been taken out by Robb, and King's Landing was looking to surely be taken by one of the Baratheon brothers. By allying with Robb and the North, the Greyjoy/Stark alliance would have almost assuredly taken out enough of the Lannisters that the Tyrells would not be so willing to enter into an alliance with the side that is clearly losing the war after Renly's death. With the Lannisters utterly defeated, the Greyjoys have a very good chance of being able to remain Kings of the Iron Islands and however much of the Westerlands they're able to carve out for themselves.

Instead, he decides to attack the North like a fucking dumbass, pretty much ensuring a Lannister victory over Robb. With the North defeated, Tywin would have no reason to allow Balon to continue in open rebellion as King of the Iron Islands and would just go put him down again. He had the choice of allying with the side that, if victorious, would allow him to be a king again, or the side that he damn well knows has no interest in letting him rule.

This decision is so unrealistically dumb that it just struck me as GRRM trying to shit on the Starks as much as possible without any founding in logic, just to add some "shock value."

Not to mention that the Westerlands are rich with gold and silver mines and several port cities, while most of the North is a vast expanse of rocks, forests and swamps.

I'll be wrong again probably, but I don't think that's right. They had been established a long time in dragonstone which was one of the outlying outposts of valyria. Definitely well established there before jumping to the mainland.

KingK

They were only the Lords of Dragonstone, which had been used as a trading outpost for Valyria with Westeros for a long time. They were some minor lords of Valyria who survived the Doom and decided to use their Dragons to establish an empire.

Balon was a man who thought in terms of conquest not rule and was driven by the desire for revenge against Ned Stark for the deaths of his sons. He's also afraid of Tywin and (rightly) judges that holding Lannisport is likely impossible. His decision is stupid, but it's well in character.

That is not the 'original' line of kings. The books mention the area being ruled by House Mudd in the time of the First Men.

Yes, though the Riverlords haven't been independent in a long long time. The Storm Kings conquered the area, then the Ironborn, the Targs, the Starks, and now they are still ruled by the Iron Throne. The curse of geography pretty much makes the area indefensible.

KingK

Not to mention that the Westerlands are rich with gold and silver mines and several port cities, while most of the North is a vast expanse of rocks, forests and swamps.

Yes, there's that too.

Balon was a man who thought in terms of conquest not war and was driven by the desire for revenge against Ned Stark for the deaths of his sons. He's also afraid of Tywin and (rightly) judges that holding Lannisport is likely impossible. His decision is stupid, but it's well in character.

Yeah, the only way I've been able to rationalize his decision is with the conclusion that he's just a brutish moron with no critical thinking skills, which really fits in well with all of the characters and culture of the Iron Islands.

The Ironborn are my most hated group of people in the series, with an absolutely retarded and repulsive culture. I want nothing less than for whoever wins the war to kill every single Ironborn, with the possible exceptions of Asha and that Reader fellow, and then burn the Iron Islands into ashes and salt the earth that remains to make it completely uninhabitable. Robert should have done this after their first rebellion, imo.

Puddles

Banned
Ah, what could have been.

If only:
- Balon hadn't launched a ridiculous North invasion.
- Robb had kept it in his pants.
- Robb had pardoned Lord Karstark.
- The wildfire hadn't been quite so effective at wiping out Stannis's invading force.

Depending on how these last two books turn out, I think I would have preferred that story to the one we got. Oh well.

Yes, though the Riverlords haven't been independent in a long long time. The Storm Kings conquered the area, then the Ironborn, the Targs, the Starks, and now they are still ruled by the Iron Throne. The curse of geography pretty much makes the area indefensible.

The Riverlands are like Europe in Risk. Totally not worth the five army bonus per turn; much better to take North and South America, or South America and Africa.

If only:
- The wildfire hadn't been quite so effective at wiping out Stannis's invading force.

And:
-What if Lysa didn't betray her family and had helped Robb in the War.

If only:

Depending on how these last two books turn out, I think I would have preferred that story to the one we got. Oh well.

The Riverlands are like Europe in Risk. Totally not worth the five army bonus per turn; much better to take North and South America, or South America and Africa.

Basically everything would be fine if Robb was gay
with the Blackfish

KingK

If only:

Not to mention if Lysa hadn't been a bitch and the Vale joined Robb.

Plus, Robb marrying Jeyne didn't mean shit. The Freys would have still held the Red Wedding and betrayed Robb, only it would have likely been his own wedding rather than Edmure's. Walder Frey just wanted to be on the winning side, and at that point it was obvious that Robb had no viable way of holding the Riverlands. I'm sure Robb breaking his word pissed off Frey, but it was far from the deciding factor in his betrayal.

Every possible thing that could go wrong for Robb and the Starks did.

edit: The only thing Robb could have done differently that could have realistically changed the outcomes is if he had told Edmure his plans (letting Tywin pass Riverrun). This would have likely resulted in Robb crushing the remaining Lannister forces, killing Tywin or taking him hostage. Which would also mean Tywin wouldn't be able to show up and reinforce King's Landing, giving Stannis a chance of victory.

Puddles

Banned
And there was that one battle in Storm where one of Robb's bannermen managed to lose a third of his infantry while trying to take some insignificant castle, or some shit like that.

God, it's tragic.

AngryMoth

The main reason I didn't like the Iron islands story is because its founded by this fucking insane delusion that hey can rule a considerable portion of westeros. The only reason they don't get completely destroyed like in the previous rebellion is because everyone else has more important wars to attend to. Robert was too easy on the Greyjoys, he should have at least kille Balon and installed new leadership. They're just like one of those small pesky dogs that winds up the big dog. I like Theon's chapters in Dance, and I love Victarion's deadpan humour, but ultimately I hope the male line of the Greyjoy's is extinguished by the end of the series.

And there was that one battle in Storm where one of Robb's bannermen managed to lose a third of his infantry while trying to take some insignificant castle, or some shit like that.

God, it's tragic.

They did that because Bolton sent the fake orders to them to get them to do it, knowing this is exactly what would happen.

Puddles

Banned
They did that because Bolton sent the fake orders to them to get them to do it, knowing this is exactly what would happen.

I must have missed that detail as well.

I definitely need to do a re-read soon.

The entire continent would have been better off if the Dreadfort had been given to another family several decades prior. The Boltons are a goddamn disgrace.

Every possible thing that could go wrong for Robb and the Starks did.
Well, Jaime could have not been an idiot, and Robb could have lost the war at the start by failing to break the siege of Riverrun.

God, it's tragic.
That was deliberate sabotage by Roose Bolton.

Robb had already lost the war by the point anyway. A Stannis victory and a divided South was the only thing that could have let him win. Robb was stupid to ever allow himself to be declared King and be forced into an impossible situation, he should have bent the knee to Renly.

KingK

God, it's tragic.

That was Roose Bolton intentionally getting as many non-Dreadfort men killed as possible in preparation for the RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom