• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollux

bengraven said:
Oh I thought no one was bringing that up. Sorry, long day.
Was Cersei already fucking Lancel before Jaime was captured, or did that only start after? Or was she laying the seeds of that fucking before he was captured?

bengraven

zmoney said:
Was Cersei already fucking Lancel before Jaime was captured, or did that only start after? Or was she laying the seeds of that fucking before he was captured?

I think she seduced him even while Robert was alive. I'm not sure if it was pure fucking though. Not until Robert was dead and maybe right before Tyrion arrived did she start.

Pollux

bengraven said:
I think she seduced him even while Robert was alive. I'm not sure if it was pure fucking though. Not until Robert was dead and maybe right before Tyrion arrived did she start.
Jaime chokes her in AFFC right?

bengraven

Yep, the prophecy is that her brother will choke her. For a long time she believes it to be Tyrion but we have another option now.

It could be either one, she's hated by both.

Pollux

bengraven said:
Yep, the prophecy is that her brother will choke her. For a long time she believes it to be Tyrion but we have another option now.

It could be either one, she's hated by both.
And rightly so.

Pollux

LegendofJoe said:
Yep, at things stand now Cersei has brought her family to the edge of ruin. Right now I'm wondering if she'll even make it through ADWD.
I'm re-reading AFFC now, is Kevan really working with the Tyrells or is this Cersei just being a paranoid drunk?

bengraven

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I think it's just her paranoia. Kevan seems about the only decent choice to run things at this point.

Yep, that's why I was so unsettled by the casting choice on the show. Kevan came off as the only Lannister who had a really strong heart. He would make a good Hand of the King. He's not as strong as his brother and wouldn't take as many risks, but he's a good man.

The guy they cast though seems kind of sniveling and smirking. I pictured him more as a Stellan Skarsgaard type - noble but firm, instead of a guy who looks like he belongs on the bridge of a Star Destroyer in Star Wars.

bengraven said:
Yep, that's why I was so unsettled by the casting choice on the show. Kevan came off as the only Lannister who had a really strong heart. He would make a good Hand of the King. He's not as strong as his brother and wouldn't take as many risks, but he's a good man.

The guy they cast though seems kind of sniveling and smirking.

True, but then again that's kind of how Kevan was initially portrayed in the books. My first thoughts of him were colored by Tyrion's comment that Kevan never had a thought that hadn't first come from Tywin. Or something like that.

Pollux

bengraven said:

The guy they cast though seems kind of sniveling and smirking. I pictured him more as a Stellan Skarsgaard type - noble but firm, instead of a guy who looks like he belongs on the bridge of a Star Destroyer in Star Wars.
I think the guy they cast as Kevan could do fine if we get to that point, the one I'm more worried about is Headey.

I think it's just her paranoia. Kevan seems about the only decent choice to run things at this point.

He genuinely supports the Tyrell alliance, but who knows if that will change with Mace Tyrell now upset over his daughter's treatment. Kevan seems like a cautious character though, I can't see him provoking the Tyrells to war. The problem might be that Cersei has done it already, but we'll see. Thus far Tommen's legitimacy has not been questioned, and regardless of Cersei's situation he's still king; likewise the Tyrell's power comes through his marriage to Margerey, so I'd imagine Mace won't do anything too rash; he can't lay siege to the city with his daughter in a dungeon.

Pollux

PhoenixDark said:
He genuinely supports the Tyrell alliance, but who knows if that will change with Mace Tyrell now upset over his daughter's treatment. Kevan seems like a cautious character though, I can't see him provoking the Tyrells to war. The problem might be that Cersei has done it already, but we'll see. Thus far Tommen's legitimacy has not been questioned, and regardless of Cersei's situation he's still king; likewise the Tyrell's power comes through his marriage to Margerey, so I'd imagine Mace won't do anything too rash; he can't lay siege to the city with his daughter in a dungeon.
Cersei is a fucking moron.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I like Kevin McKidd enough that I'd have probably been fine with him playing Sansa if they wanted to, but I do have a hard time seeing him as Davos.

PhoenixDark said:

Ahh, it's been a long time since I read AFFC. That should be fixed here in a week or two.

Emerson said:
I like Kevin McKidd enough that I'd have probably been fine with him playing Sansa if they wanted to, but I do have a hard time seeing him as Davos.

I don't have a mental image of what Davos is supposed to look like, physically, but Kevin McKidd seems to fit his character IMO.

yacobod

Banned
Emerson said:

he'd be a pretty good stannis, he already played that stern, no-nonsense role as lucious vorenus in rome.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I certainly agree about Stannis, and although I know it won't happen the only Davos I want is Henry Ian Cusick.

Pollux

yacobod said:
he'd be a pretty good stannis, he already played that stern, no-nonsense role as lucious vorenus in rome.
I second this, although I always pictured Stannis as being older. But Lucius Vorenus could pull it off.

bengraven

True, but then again that's kind of how Kevan was initially portrayed in the books. My first thoughts of him were colored by Tyrion's comment that Kevan never had a thought that hadn't first come from Tywin. Or something like that.

It could just be the way I'm reading it or maybe Tyrion (who is the only character but Cersei to have a scene with him) just really loves his uncle.

zmoney said:
I think the guy they cast as Kevan could do fine if we get to that point, the one I'm more worried about is Headey.

I think if Headey gets her way Cersei will remain very different than in the books. Maybe in Feast she'll take up a sword.

bengraven said:
It could just be the way I'm reading it or maybe Tyrion (who is the only character but Cersei to have a scene with him) just really loves his uncle.

True, he's pretty much the only Lannister aside from Jaime that treats him decently.

trineo_feo said:
Way too old.

But dat face is so good for what a stern bastard Stannis is.

Without paying much attention at first, I had pictured Stannis as the elder brother, probably in part due to the way he spoke of his brothers. Honestly, making him older than Robert to suit the actor wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I actually really loved the Damphair and the majority of what happened on the Iron Isles.

I'm really hoping that all these god's turn out to be real and explode onto the scene. Dragons vs. Krakens and shit, though I know it won't happen and it's all more of a metaphor.

I'm just saying.

Matt

LaserBuddha said:
But dat face is so good for what a stern bastard Stannis is.

Without paying much attention at first, I had pictured Stannis as the elder brother, probably in part due to the way he spoke of his brothers. Honestly, making him older than Robert to suit the actor wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
But then it wouldn't make any sense that Robert was king.

Matt said:
But then it wouldn't make any sense that Robert was king.

Robert was king because he led the rebellion and conquered the King's forces. Age doesn't matter when it's not a matter of inheritance.

Matt

LaserBuddha said:
Robert was king because he led the rebellion and conquered the King's forces. Age doesn't matter when it's not a matter of inheritance.
The Baratheons were related to the Targaryens, that was how Robert justified his assumption of the throne.

LaserBuddha said:

It does because it has already been explained that Robert is like Renly and Stannis both, or in other words, he has the good traits of each of his younger brothers without the weaknesses. Otherwise, yes I completely agree with you. In fact, I pictured Stannis' face like Ed Harris, although aged 10 years less.

shadowsdarknes said:
It does because it has already been explained that Robert is like Renly and Stannis both, or in other words, he has the good traits of each of his younger brothers without the weaknesses. Otherwise, yes I completely agree with you. In fact, I pictured Stannis' face like Ed Harris, although aged 10 years less.
OK but I don't understand how this explains why age matters when it's not an issue of inheritance. I also don't understand how the amalgamation of Renly and Stannis in Robert requires that Robert be the eldest. Of course this is the silliest of debates, isn't it? I just want to see Ed Harris brooding in his chair on Dragonstone. :)

Matt said:
The Baratheons were related to the Targaryens, that was how Robert justified his assumption of the throne.
They are?

If that is true, I don't even see why it's necessary. Robert led the rebellion, giving him claim by default.

Lirlond

LaserBuddha said:
They are?

If that is true, I don't even see why it's necessary. Robert led the rebellion, giving him claim by default.

Those histories and Lineages at the back of the book are there for a reason.

Matt

LaserBuddha said:
That's not usually how things work in dynastic societies. As a result of the rebellion, the King and his family were dead, so then the crown would fall to the person who had the best claim to the throne (as in, the next closest related). That person was Robert. Ned used this as his reason to Robert why he did not claim the throne.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
That doesn't really make total sense. There had to be other people with better blood claims. My impression was always that Robert's thin relation to the Targaryens was really an excuse to make his taking the throne more palatable, though the real reason he did so was because he killed everyone else.

Matt said:
That's not usually how things work in dynastic societies. As a result of the rebellion, the King and his family were dead, so then the crown would fall to the person who had the best claim to the throne (as in, the next closest related). That person was Robert. Ned used this as his reason to Robert why he did not claim the throne.

I get what you're saying. I'm just of the opinion that, with Robert leading the rebellion and overthrowing the dynasty, he probably still would have taken the thrown easily even without the blood relation. He would still have been considered the default king, but the blood relation was icing on the cake. Wouldn't there be others in Westeros with 1/4th Targaryan blood?

FStop7

Banned
neoanarch said:
Watching the new episode and I can't remember but what happened to zombie hand?

Mormont sent the hand with Thorne to King's Landing. Thorne shows up and sees Tyrion, who is sitting on the Iron Throne as the King's Hand while Joffrey is off doing something else. Thorne is made to wait so long for his audience that the hand is rotted away and Tyrion blows off the threat. But he does send Janos Slynt to take the black.

Rubashov

Dominic West could be a good Davos or even Stannis, just going by looks. But I think he likes to smile too much, so maybe Mance Rayder is a better fit.

I'm not sure how appealing Davos would be as a role anyway. He's one of those characters I loved the first time through, and then on rereads came to realize that he's not much more than a bump on a log. He has a nice backstory and has the POV for some memorable scenes, but he's only an observer in them. From the maester's poison to the Blackwater, he has the ability to recognize the follies of Stannis and company, but he's incapable of actually changing anything. He has reservations about the strategy of the Blackwater, but he obeys the chain of command and subsequently loses his ship and sons. He knows Melisandre is bad news, but Stannis tells him to take her to Storm's End and he obeys. Even when he finally decides to take action and kill her, he gets locked up before he can do anything.

Once he becomes Hand, then sure, he makes some waves with Edric Storm and sending Stannis to the Wall. But how much screen time will he have before that? What impact has he truly had on the plot up to that point? I suppose he can be the voice of reason in Stannis' blundering campaign, but they'll have to make him speak up more than he did in the books. And then Stannis can dutifully ignore his advice.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Rubashov said:
Dominic West could be a good Davos or even Stannis, just going by looks. But I think he likes to smile too much, so maybe Mance Rayder is a better fit.

Since when was Dominic bald?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom