• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emerson said:
That doesn't really make total sense. There had to be other people with better blood claims. My impression was always that Robert's thin relation to the Targaryens was really an excuse to make his taking the throne more palatable, though the real reason he did so was because he killed everyone else.

This is what I assumed as well.

Rubashov

sazabirules said:
Since when was Dominic bald?
Since when did Renly have short hair? I wouldn't be surprised to see Stannis with hair. He's supposed to be younger than Robert. And who wants to follow a bald king anyway.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Rubashov said:
Since when did Renly have short hair? I wouldn't be surprised to see Stannis with hair. He's supposed to be younger than Robert. And who wants to follow a bald king anyway.

Nobody and nobody wants to follow Stannis.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Which knuckle on your hand is the last knuckle anyway? You start at the top or bottom of the hand? Can someone refresh my memory why Stannis did that to Davos anyway? Did he not pay for his Onions?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Rubashov said:

Stannis is supposed to look much older than his age.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
John Harker said:
Which knuckle on your hand is the last knuckle anyway? You start at the top or bottom of the hand? Can someone refresh my memory why Stannis did that to Davos anyway? Did he not pay for his Onions?

Your pinky knuckle. And as to why: Davos was a smuggler.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
sazabirules said:
Since when was Dominic bald?

Since when did Syrio Forel have an afro? Since when was Kevan Lannister older then Tywin with brown hair? Since when was Hodor an old fat dude with balding grey hair?

You get the point yet? Also, and this may shock you to your core, but people with hair can actually *cut it off*! Oh yes sir, I kid you not.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Sinatar said:
Since when did Syrio Forel have an afro? Since when was Kevan Lannister older then Tywin with brown hair? Since when was Hodor an old fat dude with balding grey hair?

You get the point yet? Also, and this may shock you to your core, but people with hair can actually *cut it off*! Oh yes sir, I kid you not.

Well maybe they won't change this character's appearance for the show. :p It seems about half and half right now. I just don't see Detective Jimmy McNulty as the cold son of a bitch Stannis.

Rubashov

sazabirules said:
Well maybe they won't change this character's appearance for the show. :p It seems about half and half right now. I just don't see Detective Jimmy McNulty as the cold son of a bitch Stannis.
I agree he was too good as McNulty to play a dud like Stannis, but I always thought he could pass as a Baratheon.

Leaving Stannis bald will help to show him as an uninspiring figure, but I just know it'll be confusing for normal folk. No matter how many times they make Littlefinger throw in some comments like, "Oh you mean Stannis Baratheon, the younger brother of our late king, Robert Baratheon??", if they make him look older than Robert, someone out there is going to assume he's Robert's father somehow. Not that we should care about the people who don't even remember everyone's names in this season, but I bet it'll be up for debate at the writers' table.

Sinatar said:

Cant wait for Jaime to look all fucked up and ugly and having to cut off all his hair. And lose his hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lz3lAd2nGQ

sazabirules said:
I'm guessing Stannis is one of the parts that GRRM mentioned that will be announced soon.
Wouldn't surprise me at all. Sounds like they've been holding auditions for Melisandre, Asha, and Brienne, as well.

John Harker

luxarific said:
Your pinky knuckle. And as to why: Davos was a smuggler.

I thought it was his last knuckle on each finger?

Yea he was a smuggler, but didn't Stannis disfigure him AFTER he saved his life?

ultron87

John Harker said:
I thought it was his last knuckle on each finger?

Yea he was a smuggler, but didn't Stannis disfigure him AFTER he saved his life?

Yeah, it was each finger on one hand I believe.

And yes, that's just the way Stannis rolls. Even the man who saved his castle has to pay for his crimes.

John Harker

ultron87 said:
Yeah, it was each finger on one hand I believe.

And yes, that's just the way Stannis rolls. Even the man who saved his castle has to pay for his crimes.

uh hu, but he can stick it into any red head he wants, married or not. Right.
I try to sympathize or understand him, but the man's the fool version of Ned to the extreme. And a lot of people already think Ned was a fool.

I also hated reading Milsandre, so the whole thing smells to me.

BREAKING: Rufus Sewell will be playing Stannis

tumblr_l9qguuf2ek1qe3odtb3.jpg

Source: My (new) choice being the obviously correct one

yacobod

Banned
seems like a pretty good choice for Stannis. haven't seen him in much outside of Dark City, but he was good in that.

Rubashov

John Harker said:
I try to sympathize or understand him, but the man's the fool version of Ned to the extreme. And a lot of people already think Ned was a fool.
And this makes Davos look like a fool too. The man is grateful to Stannis for chopping his fingers off. That's a tough sell.

KingK

Rubashov said:
And this makes Davos look like a fool too. The man is grateful to Stannis for chopping his fingers off. That's a tough sell.

The man is grateful to Stannis for making him a knight and taking his son as a squire and raising his family up into the noble class so that his kids will have better lives than he's had. He had lived a life of crime and smuggling, and for that, Stannis took his fingers, but Stannis also gave him a lot.

LaserBuddha said:
BREAKING: Rufus Sewell will be playing Stannis

tumblr_l9qguuf2ek1qe3odtb3.jpg

Source: My (new) choice being the obviously correct one

Like someone mentioned above, I've always seen Stannis as Mark Strong. But Sewell would be really good too. If they had him as Stannis and Tony Curran as Davos I would be really satisfied. Always pictures Davos as Gary Oldman for some reason :\ Far too expensive though.

zmoney said:
I'm re-reading AFFC now, is Kevan really working with the Tyrells or is this Cersei just being a paranoid drunk?
kevan shared tywin's realization that his daughter is a paranoid fuckwit who would beggar the realm. Remember, tywin was so pissed at cersei's blundering and how she allowed joff to go nuts that he sent Tyrion to rule.

Kevan was just continuing tywin's plans to have cersei cut out of any real power.

elrechazao said:
kevan shared tywin's realization that his daughter is a paranoid fuckwit who would beggar the realm. Remember, tywin was so pissed at cersei's blundering and how she allowed joff to go nuts that he sent Tyrion to rule.

Kevan was just continuing tywin's plans to have cersei cut out of any real power.

I always got the impression Kevan was just fed up/estranged with his family and really just wants some peace and quiet

Sir Hamish said:
I always got the impression Kevan was just fed up/estranged with his family and really just wants some peace and quiet
I don't think you can read the parts between him and cersei and think that he's not making a legit offer. Once he realizes she's a brotherfucker and that she's going to not step down and continue to heap misery on the whole world, he just said "fuck it, I'm out then"

elrechazao said:
I don't think you can read the parts between him and cersei and think that he's not making a legit offer. Once he realizes she's a brotherfucker and that she's going to not step down and continue to heap misery on the whole world, he just said "fuck it, I'm out then"

Yeah, I really need to re-read Feast, gave it to my cousin months ago still not had it back :( I always liked Kevan and the way the plot seems to be going it's moving him into a position of power (probably as hand, he was offered that wasn't he?) as a more 'moderate' member of the Lannister family, and one who will probably work with Stannis/Jon against the Others rather stab them in the back. I can easily see him hanging Cersei out to dry.

suzu

I've always pictured Stannis as balding and older looking than Robert, even though he's suppose to be the younger one.

Question here - Speaking of Kevan, I'm rereading AFFC and I'm trying to remember if Kevan has any sons other than Lancel. One of them was killed by Karstark right? I'm having trouble remembering what happened there.

Also, Sophie Turner is a stunner. She makes me wish I was 10 years younger :(

suzu

LegendofJoe said:
Question here - Speaking of Kevan, I'm rereading AFFC and I'm trying to remember if Kevan has any sons other than Lancel. One of them was killed by Karstark right? I'm having trouble remembering what happened there.

Twin sons. One gets captured by Robb, but is murdered later by one of his bannermen.

Rubashov said:

Sorry if I'm mistaken, but Stannis is older than Robert, I thought. Renley was the youngest, then Robert, then Stannis the oldest.

BTW - was there any mention of Renley being gay in the books? I totally blanked on that part and was really surprised to see him and Loras together in the show. Was it hinted at and I was oblivious to it?

Maklershed said:
BTW - was there any mention of Renley being gay in the books? I totally blanked on that part and was really surprised to see him and Loras together in the show. Was it hinted at and I was oblivious to it?

It's hinted throughout the first three books, but not strongly suggested until Book 3. But you can go back and read through books and see what people say about Renley, and when you read it a second time with that mindset, it's clear.

To be fair, I didnt pick up on it till I read some FAQ's on Westeros.org.

Although, I believe, it is explicitly said about Ser Loras, but just that he's more or less a funboy... just wants to get with anything that moves.

Maklershed said:
There's a ton of hints dropped by numerous characters. Most telling of which is Renly not sleeping with that Tyrell chick. Margaery, or something.

tuxor

Neo Member
Rubashov said:

Well they both gain and lose something. Davos is a smuggler, so he should probably die/be thrown in jail, but he helped Stannis outlast the siege, so Stannis only cut his fingers off as thanks. It doesn't seem foolish to me, it seems "just," which is what it's supposed to be.

Also, it was never explicitly mentioned that Renly was gay, but was pretty hard to not at least think it as nearly every time Renly was mentioned, both he and Loras were described as pretty and constantly together.

I can't wait for more Iron Islands shenanigans. Bad-ass vikings messing shit up. Also, anybody else get upset when they casually mentioned Davos died?

The Albatross said:
Sorry if I'm mistaken, but Stannis is older than Robert, I thought. Renley was the youngest, then Robert, then Stannis the oldest.

Stannis always felt older to me, but yeah, he's the middle child.

edit: just read the Mystery Knight. Not quite as good as the Hedge Knight, but much better than the Sworn Sword.

I'm in the mood for some Dance with Dragons speculation. Who do you think will be in control of King's Landing at the end of the book?

I'm going with an alliance between the Tyrells and the Faith Militant, with Tommen as their puppet king. Mace Tyrell will be Hand and the high septon will be granted a permanent seat on the small council.

bengraven

LegendofJoe said:
I'm in the mood for some Dance with Dragons speculation. Who do you think will be in control of King's Landing at the end of the book?

I'm going with an alliance between the Tyrells and the Faith Militant, with Tommen as their puppet king. Mace Tyrell will be Hand and the high septon will be granted a permanent seat on the small council.

Well most of the book will take place in the North, Dorne, and Myr and go alongside with the King's Landing story of Feast.

So I have a feeling we'll still have Kevan and Pycelle and their new council ruling for Tommen.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
edit: just read the Mystery Knight. Not quite as good as the Hedge Knight, but much better than the Sworn Sword.

Really? I felt Mystery Knight is the weakest entry. I liked Sworn Sword.

bengraven said:
Well most of the book will take place in the North, Dorne, and Myr and go alongside with the King's Landing story of Feast.

So I have a feeling we'll still have Kevan and Pycelle and their new council ruling for Tommen.

I didn't know that. I've made it a point to avoid the POV specifics for Dance, so I was assuming the king's landing cliffhanger would at least be somewhat resolved. If not I will definitely be a bit disappointed.

Pollux

Re-reading Feast. Don't know what y'all are talking about but the Dorne chapters are great. Kinda wish Oakheart hadn't died and they weren't stopped by the battle axe guy.

zmoney said:
Re-reading Feast. Don't know what y'all are talking about but the Dorne chapters are great. Kinda wish Oakheart hadn't died and they weren't stopped by the battle axe guy.
dorne seems super popular in this thread. people hate brienne, and then iron islands it seems.

Pollux

elrechazao said:
dorne seems super popular in this thread. people hate brienne, and then iron islands it seems.
I like the Iron Islands...the scene at the kingsmoot where Euron whips out the Dragon Horn is badass....

I forget, but is there a horn for krakens too and if so who has it?

zmoney said:
I like the Iron Islands...the scene at the kingsmoot where Euron whips out the Dragon Horn is badass....

I forget, but is there a horn for krakens too and if so who has it?
On lord velaryon's island - i think that's his name. The guy who was stannis's bannerman, who fought and was captured on the blackwater, then bent the knee. Florent wanted to sack his island to steal his wine, gold, and kraken horn (salador saahn wanted it especially), but davos spoke out against the plan and was made hand of the king.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom