• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

bengraven said:
Really? I felt Mystery Knight is the weakest entry. I liked Sworn Sword.

Same. I didn't like how he went back to the well with another tournament in Mystery Knight.

On the other hand, I loved the look at the local conflict of small lords in Sworn Sword. A welcome change from the huge power struggles in the main books.

Which reminds me - we have tons of possibly special horns:

Mance's horn supposedly the horn of winter to take down the wall, captured by stannis
Euron's horn, found in valyria, supposedly controls dragons
horn on the island of stannis's man, supposedly summons krakens
horn found by jon on the fist of the first men. Currently held by samwell? (many think this is the real horn of winter)

Pollux

elrechazao said:

Mance's horn supposedly the horn of winter to take down the wall, captured by stannis
horn found by jon on the fist of the first men. Currently held by samwell? (many think this is the real horn of winter)

I think that is something completely different, something to defeat the others with maybe. But im probably wrong.

zmoney said:
[/B]

I think that is something completely different, something to defeat the others with maybe. But im probably wrong.
Yeah, i don't really believe the theory myself, but it's a pretty common one. It's also broken, so we'll see what happens with it. It's gotta be significant though.

Pollux

elrechazao said:
Yeah, i don't really believe the theory myself, but it's a pretty common one. It's also broken, so we'll see what happens with it. It's gotta be significant though.
considering it was found with the dragonglass it probably has something to do with the Others.

tuxor

Neo Member
Is it possible that Mance's wildlings weren't running from just the others, but maybe there's something even worse/crazier back there? What if there were ice dragons/wyrms/whatever back there, and Bran ended up warging with them (sounds dirty), then some combination of the Starks rode against Dany on her...regular dragons, at least one of which would be stolen by Euron. Would make sense if ADWD wasn't the next book, but oh well.

Would never happen, but it'd be neat.

Also, they didn't end up clearing out the wildfire Aerys II had hidden, did they? I didn't think so as Jaime hasn't told anyone why he really killed the king, but some part of my mind thinks Hallyne found it when he was getting it all for Cersei. If not, King's Landing is going to light up when Dany rolls through.

suzu

I don't think there are any dragons beyond The Wall, but they have mentioned things like mammoths, giant bears, dire wolves, shadow cats, etc. :p

tuxor

Neo Member
Yeah I suppose it would also kind of ruin it if the Starks went to dragons. METAPHOR METAPHOR METAPHOR dragons.

tuxor said:
Is it possible that Mance's wildlings weren't running from just the others, but maybe there's something even worse/crazier back there? What if there were ice dragons/wyrms/whatever back there, and Bran ended up warging with them (sounds dirty), then some combination of the Starks rode against Dany on her...regular dragons, at least one of which would be stolen by Euron. Would make sense if ADWD wasn't the next book, but oh well.

Would never happen, but it'd be neat.

Also, they didn't end up clearing out the wildfire Aerys II had hidden, did they? I didn't think so as Jaime hasn't told anyone why he really killed the king, but some part of my mind thinks Hallyne found it when he was getting it all for Cersei. If not, King's Landing is going to light up when Dany rolls through.
Tyrion uses most, if not all of it, in the blackwater. References to him using "aerys' overripe fruit".

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
elrechazao said:

yes yes yes yes the horns are one of my favorite aspects of the story. super excited to see where they go, especially the Kraken Horn.

I wanna see Victorion lead a sea battle on a ship with some Kraken cavalry.

- The folks from Westeros.org talking about The Masterminds of Ice and Fire *spoilers for the first four books*
Linda and I have cooked up our latest article for Tor.com, this one dealing with masterminds—characters that fans generally love to hate, or in some cases fawn over and admire! It’s definitely spoiler material, so avoid it if you’ve not read the books. There’s also a few notes comparing the “masterminds” to their representation in HBO’s Game of Thrones, because the show has taken a different tack with some of them, at least in regards to certain aspects of their scheming.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Rubashov said:
The Others may show up with a horn that wakes the pale spiders.

well there are two "winter horns"

one is supposed to break down the wall
one is supposed to wake giants

hrmmmm

Pollux

jon bones said:
well there are two "winter horns"

one is supposed to break down the wall
one is supposed to wake giants

hrmmmm
Arn't the giants already awake? they were attacking the wall with Mance Rayder.

zmoney said:
Arn't the giants already awake? they were attacking the wall with Mance Rayder.
yeah, those giants were never asleep either, they were always beyond the wall if you believe people like osha, and there's no reason to believe that the giants suddenly appeared. The wildlings seem to be very familiar with them.

Pollux

elrechazao said:
yeah, those giants were never asleep either, they were always beyond the wall if you believe people like osha, and there's no reason to believe that the giants suddenly appeared. The wildlings seem to be very familiar with them.
Also in ADWD we're supposed to see more training for Arya right? I'm also assuming she's not going to be blind by the end of ADWD.

KingK

zmoney said:
Also in ADWD we're supposed to see more training for Arya right? I'm also assuming she's not going to be blind by the end of ADWD.

She gets chapters in ADWD, but I don't think she gets very many. She'll probably just get another 3-5 chapters, which should be enough to finish her training (or whatever else she might do in Braavos), assuming big time gaps in between.

My guess is her last chapter in Dance ends with her boarding a ship back to Westeros.

Pollux

KingK said:
She gets chapters in ADWD, but I don't think she gets very many. She'll probably just get another 3-5 chapters, which should be enough to finish her training (or whatever else she might do in Braavos), assuming big time gaps in between.

My guess is her last chapter in Dance ends with her boarding a ship back to Westeros.
Are we thinking that she'll be a Faceless Women or abandon the training?

KingK

zmoney said:
Are we thinking that she'll be a Faceless Women or abandon the training?

I could see it going either way, personally.

I think most people believe that Martin's decided to drop the 5 year gap, and therefore Arya will abandon the training because there just won't be enough time to finish it.

KingK

hteng said:
can someone summarize what goes on in A dance with dragons?

All of the POV characters die at the end, meaning Hodor will be the only POV character in The Winds of Winter.

KingK said:
All of the POV characters die at the end, meaning Hodor will be the only POV character in The Winds of Winter.
Will his chapters just consist of one "Hodor" or will it be "Hodor hodor hodor. Hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor. Hodor. Rodoh. Hodor hodor hodor" ?

Chris R

KingK said:
At least it would be easy to write.

"Hodor Hodor Hordor, Hodor, hooooooooooooodor?"

Edit: lol double post.

KingK said:
"Hodor. Hodor? Hodor," thought Hodor as he sat the Iron Throne.
The Iron throne felt cool against his massive manhood. It lay there, floppy like a ragdoll soaked in water. "Hodor," Hodor nodded and Varys, the master of whispers, shuffled over to him. Hodor noted that he smelled of lavender. "Hodor," the King spat.

With a seductive look in his eye, Hodor looked upon Cersei, Dany, and Melisandre, and, with the faintest smile, he whispered to them, "Hodor," and pointed at his erect sword ready to thrust into their frothing parts.

I think I went too far

Pollux

KingK said:
I could see it going either way, personally.

I think most people believe that Martin's decided to drop the 5 year gap, and therefore Arya will abandon the training because there just won't be enough time to finish it.
I hope she doesn't abandon the training, I was really looking forward to badass assassin Arya.

heliosRAzi said:
The Iron throne felt cool against his massive manhood. It lay there, floppy like a ragdoll soaked in water. "Hodor," Hodor nodded and Varys, the master of whispers, shuffled over to him. Hodor noted that he smelled of lavender. "Hodor," the King spat.

With a seductive look in his eye, Hodor looked upon Cersei, Dany, and Melisandre, and, with the faintest smile, he whispered to them, "Hodor," and pointed at his erect sword ready to thrust into their frothing parts.

I think I went too far

Reads like Martin to me

LegendofJoe said:
Some people still believe that Martin hasn't given up on the gap and plans to implement it in between ADWD and TWOW.

There is no real reason to believe that will happen. All the reasons he scrapped it after ASOS still apply to after ADWD.

Pollux

Basileus777 said:
There is no real reason to believe that will happen. All the reasons he scrapped it after ASOS still apply to after ADWD.
I think its possible, he has more groundwork for all the characters to just skip 5 years after ADWD. AFter ASOS he would have to do a ton of set up for a 5 year jump, now he can just skip ahead.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
LegendofJoe said:
Some people still believe that Martin hasn't given up on the gap and plans to implement it in between ADWD and TWOW.

Has to happen. Arya is still way to young to be the bitter seasoned warrior she's on the course to being. Maybe some micro gaps would be better? A large gap would definitely be a headache since Martin will have to reintroduce a lot of the characters since whatever (large) amount of time gone by will assuredly change the characters due to experience.

Even if time were to flow evenly from Dance to the last book in the series it will only be a few years I think. If Martin is to potentially fail at anything in this series I think it'll be this problem. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Basileus777 said:
Bullshit. If GRRM kills off Dolorous Edd I'm burning my copies of this series.

This. Dolorous Edd is like ASoIaF's Eeyore.

Wasn't there a scene before the Red Wedding when Robb chooses an heir? When I first read it, I thought it was important, but GRRM hasn't made any mention of it since. I assumed he picked Jon.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I posted this in the series thread because I started thinking about it while looking at the series and specifically the last two episodes but this thread might be more suitable because the discussion can be broader.

Watching Varys talking with Ned made me wonder how much Varys knew at the time about the threat of Mance Rayder and the White Walkers beyond the wall. It's implied through the books that Varys knows pretty much everything that's going on in the Realm. So it isn't really that far-fetched that he has informers at the Night's Watch and maybe even beyond the wall. This makes me wonder if he actually wanted Ned at the Wall because it wouldn't hurt to have some more capable Stark bodies up there. But it's never touched upon again and AFAIK Varys isn't really connected to the shitstorm brewing in the North in later books.

neoanarch

I'm sure Varys is aware of whatever the Nightswatch knows. Which is to say not much. But what they do know they would inform to Winterfell and Kings Landing. So there is literary zero reason for Varys or Littlefinger to have spies there.

Varys wanted Ned at the wall because its a way for Ned to confess without having to die and thus turning the North against Kings Landing

zeroshiki

LetsGoKiting said:
This. Dolorous Edd is like ASoIaF's Eeyore.

Wasn't there a scene before the Red Wedding when Robb chooses an heir? When I first read it, I thought it was important, but GRRM hasn't made any mention of it since. I assumed he picked Jon.

Because everyone who knew about it is either dead, locked up in the Twins or MIA. I am sure it will come to play somehow since its such an awesome plot point.

There's speculation it could not be Jon but all evidence points to Robb legitimizing Jon as a Stark and appointing him heir over Sansa.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
zeroshiki said:
Because everyone who knew about it is either dead, locked up in the Twins or MIA. I am sure it will come to play somehow since its such an awesome plot point.

There's speculation it could not be Jon but all evidence points to Robb legitimizing Jon as a Stark and appointing him heir over Sansa.

Well they thought Sansa was fucked in the head (she is) and was siding with the Lanisters didn't they?

Sotha Sil

Really loving Feast on my first reread. Even the Brienne and Cersei chapters! Not a fan of the Soiled Knight's chapters, though. They kind of feel like an extended ASOIIF prologue/epilogue: even of the first read, you know things will end horribly for the POV, and his stupidity is quite painful to read. Plus Darkstar reads like he just came out of a shonen manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom