• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enduin said:
True but most of those people dont make it past the first or second round and certainly no one without considerable talent makes it to the final 3 like the Laughing Tree did.
If you read the story, the format wasn't a bracket like we have today, and the hand's tourney had. It was a "challenge people" tourney, which is how the laughing knight could go after those dudes specifically.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on what game the Faceless Men are playing. Why are they infiltrating the Citadel? Why did they recruit Arya Stark? (Do you really think she's with the FM by chance? No way.)

I think the role of the FM in the overall story is huge and fairly obvious, but most fans of the series can't see what's right under their noses.

The FM are agents of the Great Other. Who do you think is their One God of Many Faces? He is Death. He is the Great Other.

All of the Gods have their servants and agents in Westeros and Essos. Why would the Great Other be any different?

The Great Other is planning to escape his prison in the North and take back his world. To do this he needs help. The FM are paving the way for his return.

Skeptical? Don't be. It's all there in AFfC if you read carefully.

Where did the the FM originate? They originated in the slave mines of Old Valyria to combat the oppression of the Lords of Valyria.

What did Valyria have? Valyria had dragons, dragon fire, dragon steel, and dragon glass.

To what weapons are the Others vulnerable? See above.

Who brought about the Doom of Valyria? The FM did.

Why did they want Valyria doomed? Because the power and weapons of Valyria would be a huge threat to the Others, when they returned.

What do the FM want in the Citadel? The maesters were men of science, opposed to magic and dragons. The maestros played a big role in eliminating dragons from the world. They have knowledge and maybe weapons capable of defeating dragons. With dragons back in the world with the last (?) great Dragon Lord of Valyria (Dany), the FM and the Great Other desperately need the tools to fight them.

Why do the FM need Arya Stark? The powerful (but ignorant of his power and identity) descendant of the great Lords of Valyria is a huge potential threat to the Others. (I am speaking of course of Rhaegar Targaryen's son "Jon Snow"). Jon is well-protected and hard to eliminate. What FM assassin could get close to him and kill him? His beloved little sister, Arya.

I didn't read this theory anywhere. It came to me a few weeks ago when I was stoned and deep in thought after my 3rd reading of AFFC.

And people think AFFC is boring and uneventful. Haha.

I'm going to be proven right about this. Just watch. :)

Pollux

Just throwing this out there but I just finished re-reading AFFC. A lot of people are speculating on the Dany scenario in ADWD.

We know that a number of POV's are going to be converging on her in ADWD, but the problem is that many of them won't get to her until at leaset halfway through ADWD or near the end of it.

We need to keep in mind that ADWD runs parallel to AFFC, so Marwyn for example won't get to Dany until ADWD is almost done, or 2/3 done b/c GRRM says that ADWD will continue on past AFFC.

People are saying that GRRM will have the same issue with a 5 year jump at the end of ADWD as he did with ASOS, but that isn't the case. At the end of ASOS we had NO setup for any of the characters that would require a 5 year jump. By the end of ADWD all the characters will be back at the same point in time and we would benefit from it.

Sansa - As Alayne Stone we could see that jump to just before her marriage to Harry the Heir
Arya - Finishes training as a Faceless Man
Dany - finished her governing experiment and ready to head out to Westeros
Tyrion - no idea
Cersei - disgraced and no longer queen....dead by the end of the book hopefully
Jaime - Regaining some lost shred of honor, and able to use his sword with his left hand as well as his right.
Tommon - ready to become a king in his own right after years of tutelage under Kevan

and it goes on. But all the characters by the end of ADWD could benefit from the jump.

What say you?

Pollux

Red Nightmare said:
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on what game the Faceless Men are playing. Why are they infiltrating the Citadel? Why did they recruit Arya Stark? (Do you really think she's with the FM by chance? No way.)

I think the role of the FM in the overall story is huge and fairly obvious, but most fans of the series can't see what's right under their noses.

The FM are agents of the Great Other. Who do you think is their One God of Many Faces? He is Death. He is the Great Other.

All of the Gods have their servants and agents in Westeros and Essos. Why would the Great Other be any different?

The Great Other is planning to escape his prison in the North and take back his world. To do this he needs help. The FM are paving the way for his return.

Where did the the FM originate? They originated in the slave mines of Old Valyria to combat the oppression of the Lords of Valyria.

What did Valyria have? Valyria had dragons, dragon fire, dragon steel, and dragon glass.

Why did they want Valyria doomed? Because the power and weapons of Valyria would be a huge threat to the Others, when they returned.

What do the FM want in the Citadel? The maesters were men of science, opposed to magic and dragons. The maestros played a big role in eliminating dragons from the world. They have knowledge and maybe weapons capable of defeating dragons. With dragons back in the world with the last (?) great Dragon Lord of Valyria (Dany), the FM and the Great Other desperately need the tools to fight them.

Why do the FM need Arya Stark? The powerful (but ignorant of his power and identity) descendant of the great Lords of Valyria is a huge potential threat to the Others. (I am speaking of course of Rhaegar Targaryen's son "Jon Snow"). Jon is well-protected and hard to eliminate. What FM assassin could get close to him and kill him? His beloved little sister, Arya.

I didn't read this theory anywhere. It came to me a few weeks ago when I was stoned and deep in thought after my 3rd reading of AFFC.

That actually makes a little sense. Although I don't think Arya will end up killing Jon. But otherwise, makes sense. Wouldn't be surprised if your wrong, but makes sense.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Red Nightmare said:

damn, you're good.

Red Nightmare said:

Totally disagree. I think your theory assumes first of all that the followers of rhllor are correct and that there are only 2 gods - the lord of light and the other. I believe this is incorrect, for many reasons, not the least of which is that mellisandre says the old gods of the north are not real, but we have seen lots of evidence that they probably are.

The faceless men are assassins, and being used by someone for some purpose with the citadel, I think that thinking of them as a single group with one agenda that they all follow is just wrong.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The Great Other could be one of The Old Gods - they're all from the same area, geographically.

The only issue I see from Red's theory is that the FM come from Valarya but the Old Gods + The Great Other are from clear across the world in the Northern half of Westeros.

Pollux

Is there a map of A song of Ice and Fire's world? not just westeros but westeros, and pentos, and Valarya, and the Slaver's Bay....all that?

Burli

Pringo
I just remembered another part of AFFC that didn't sit right with me. The apparent death of Davos. Throughout the book it's mentioned of Stannis's 'Onion Knight' being captured, imprisoned and eventually be-headed. I was really taken a-back by how laid-back GRRM was about killing off this important character, I'm hoping there's a lot more to it but he's killed off any real impact that I could have felt for his death by distancing him so far from the reader during it all. Hopefully it's not him, somehow.

I'm tempted to re-read AFFC before the next book comes out, I think I missed a lot of 'sub-plot' and I'm still not 100% sure who is who.

What's this talk about Jon being son of Rhaegar? Speculation? Or did I miss one of the most important twists in the book at some point...

Burli said:
I just remembered another part of AFFC that didn't sit right with me. The apparent death of Davos. Throughout the book it's mentioned of Stannis's 'Onion Knight' being captured, imprisoned and eventually be-headed. I was really taken a-back by how laid-back GRRM was about killing off this important character, I'm hoping there's a lot more to it but he's killed off any real impact that I could have felt for his death by distancing him so far from the reader during it all. Hopefully it's not him, somehow.

I'm tempted to re-read AFFC before the next book comes out, I think I missed a lot of 'sub-plot' and I'm still not 100% sure who is who.

What's this talk about Jon being son of Rhaegar? Speculation? Or did I miss one of the most important twists in the book at some point...
Davos remains to be seen. What we know is that manderly told the iron throne that davos had been executed.

John being the son of rhaegar and lyanna is a popular theory with tons of hints in the books, but no confirmation, and multiple suspects for jon's mother. Just google jon's parents theory and you can find tons of good stuff on it.

Burli

Pringo
elrechazao said:
Davos remains to be seen. What we know is that manderly told the iron throne that davos had been executed.

John being the son of rhaegar and lyanna is a popular theory with tons of hints in the books, but no confirmation, and multiple suspects for jon's mother. Just google jon's parents theory and you can find tons of good stuff on it.

Yeah, I'm hoping that Manderly was bullshitting, would be a real shame for Davos to have been chopped up behind the scenes.

The Jon theory is a really good one, I'll be upset if it turns out to be true and the brains of the Internet have ruined the surprise for me.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
jon bones said:
The only issue I see from Red's theory
Red Nightmare said:

You are making a massive leap of faith if you believe anyone but Holland Reed knows who Jon is. And even that is based on speculation.

Let's add on top that Jon was a nobody till end of SoS, when he became commander of the watch. And Arya was given the coin and offer back in Clash. It would be far more plausible about them wanting one of the descendants of the creator of the wall. Or even a coincidence.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Burli said:
Yeah, I'm hoping that Manderly was bullshitting, would be a real shame for Davos to have been chopped up behind the scenes.

The Jon theory is a really good one, I'll be upset if it turns out to be true and the brains of the Internet have ruined the surprise for me.

I don't think Davos is dead, but even if he is it won't be behind the scenes. We'll see what happens in ADWD.

Burli

Pringo
Emerson said:
I don't think Davos is dead, but even if he is it won't be behind the scenes. We'll see what happens in ADWD.

Yeah, my gripe with that though would be that with us knowing his fate, not only would all impact of his death be removed but also any real need for his story to be told, it would essentially be a dude sitting in a cell then getting be-headed. Like Ned's fate all over again, minus the massive surprise. If he's really dead I imagine the only interesting way to write it would be from Stannis's POV, his reaction to the loss of his Onion Knight.

elrechazao said:

Well there is R + L, and a bunch of boring and crappy explenations...

Really, Jon and Dany are two of my faves in the series, but they are also destined architypes found elsewhere in fantasy...its fairly obvious Martin planned R + L as Jon parents from the beginning...if it turns out otherwise, I think he would be throwing a curveball just to confound popular theory...I suppose he has 10 odd years to devise a counter scheme though.

On the other hand, I suppose his unknown parentage could be something mundane, and the whole uncertainty could just be to highlight his bastardy. Its just completely unbelievable of Ned.

On a personal level, I hope it is correct. Series needs some pay off

KingK

zmoney said:
Just throwing this out there but I just finished re-reading AFFC. A lot of people are speculating on the Dany scenario in ADWD.

We know that a number of POV's are going to be converging on her in ADWD, but the problem is that many of them won't get to her until at leaset halfway through ADWD or near the end of it.

We need to keep in mind that ADWD runs parallel to AFFC, so Marwyn for example won't get to Dany until ADWD is almost done, or 2/3 done b/c GRRM says that ADWD will continue on past AFFC.

People are saying that GRRM will have the same issue with a 5 year jump at the end of ADWD as he did with ASOS, but that isn't the case. At the end of ASOS we had NO setup for any of the characters that would require a 5 year jump. By the end of ADWD all the characters will be back at the same point in time and we would benefit from it.

Sansa - As Alayne Stone we could see that jump to just before her marriage to Harry the Heir
Arya - Finishes training as a Faceless Man
Dany - finished her governing experiment and ready to head out to Westeros
Tyrion - no idea
Cersei - disgraced and no longer queen....dead by the end of the book hopefully
Jaime - Regaining some lost shred of honor, and able to use his sword with his left hand as well as his right.
Tommon - ready to become a king in his own right after years of tutelage under Kevan

and it goes on. But all the characters by the end of ADWD could benefit from the jump.

What say you?

I agree that I think a 5 year jump would work, and I think the story would greatly benefit from it.

The biggest problem I find is Jon. There's still a massive host of wildlings out beyond the wall with Tormund Giantsbane, as well as the Others moving down. I suppose we'll just have to see what happens with Jon in Dance, and if Martin makes it possible for him to have a 5 year gap.

KingK said:
I agree that I think a 5 year jump would work, and I think the story would greatly benefit from it.

The biggest problem I find is Jon. There's still a massive host of wildlings out beyond the wall with Tormund Giantsbane, as well as the Others moving down. I suppose we'll just have to see what happens with Jon in Dance, and if Martin makes it possible for him to have a 5 year gap.
I wish tormund would take the black and be jon's number 2. He's so awesome.

Pollux

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I imagine that we won't get an official map of the world until the series is over so that Martin can keep his options open in regards to areas outside of what we know so far.
Unless he dies before hand. Then I'll be legit pissed off b/c maps in created worlds are a necessity.

Mailman 007

Neo Member
KuwabaraTheMan said:
I imagine that we won't get an official map of the world until the series is over so that Martin can keep his options open in regards to areas outside of what we know so far.
There will probably be a few maps in The World of Ice and Fire book, which is supposed to come out after ADWD..

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Slowly working my way through both this thread and the excellent articles about all the major houses on the Tower of the Hand. Nice summary about the Tyrells:

The Tyrells are now, at the end of AFFC, the strongest single house in Westeros. They strongly influence the Small Council and Margaery is able to dominate king Tommen. The army of Tyrell is much stronger than the Lannister host and is positioned from Maidenpool and Dragonstone in the Northeast to Storm's End, down to the Dornish Marshes and west to Old Oak. Half the realm has in one way or the other a garrison of Tyrell troops. The situation in the Reach, however, has changed due to the Greyjoy invasion. The Shield Islands are lost, and the whole lower Mander is subject to raids, as well as the coast of the Reach. The situation will be better once the Redwyne fleet arrives but the way from Dragonstone is long and treacherous especially now that winter with its fierce storms is upon them. The Tyrell army is positioned throughout the realm, but weak in its heartland.

I hope the Tyrells get more screentime in A Dance with Dragons. Right from the start the Reach, Highgarden and Oldtown seemed interesting places. But like the Vale they initially weren't visited much. Hope that changes :).

Rubashov

I don't know if the Faceless Men have to have a motive. They claim no allegiances, no belongings; they are no one. Watching them become an evil shadow organization seems to go against their beliefs. They do contract killings out of mercy, as part of their faith. Wouldn't they have to go against their faith and refuse contracts that went against their agenda? Wouldn't they also be proactive and remove anyone that might help Dany fulfill her destiny?

Cases in point: Euron and Marwyn.

Presumably Euron hires a Faceless Man to kill Balon Greyjoy. (I believe it was the little old forest lady who said she saw a man with no face push Balon off the bridge?) If I'm an agent of the Others, and a man with a horn that can control dragons hires me to kill someone, I wouldn't let him live, much less help him come in to power. Of course you could argue that Euron is working for the Others too, but that requires a few more leaps of logic.

Marwyn could be the case study for this theory. If he mysteriously dies before he even makes it to that ship or doesn't survive the journey to Dany, then this theory would gain some credence. But if he does live and is there to help Dany in some way, then "Pate" didn't do a good job of helping the Others' cause. He's strategically placed in the Citadel and could easily kill someone who most likely has a keen insight to the prophecy of Azor Ahai, etc--and that's exactly the kind of person who usually dies in these stories, right before he's able to pass his key piece of wisdom on to the hero.

But besides all that, was there any mention of humans fighting alongside the Others in the Long Night? I remember it just being spiders and Others and the dead.

Nymerio

KingK said:

Well Stannis does want to repopulate the Gift with the Wildlings, and I don't think Jon is opposed to this idea. At one point he mentions that Ned wanted to repopulate part of the gift himself. Jon and Stannis could spend some time to settle people in, get the whole place organised etc. That would also give them some time to gather more people for their forces. And wasn't there something about Stannis and the Karstarks? He could forge some new alliances with other Lords in the north. I think by the end of ADWD a five year gap could absolutly work.

ultron87

If they did a 5 year skip I wonder if that would include all of the coming winter. It'd make sense from a realism perspective, because medieval armies can't logically do much during winter.

But then the coming winter is also theoretically going to bring the Others, so it'd be weird to just skip it.

yacobod

Banned
at this point the only 2 explanations for jon's parentage that i'd be willing to accept would be:
R+L = J
or
Ned + Ashara Dayne in a distant 2nd place.

bengraven

Cornballer said:
The stitched version of the map might be your best bet, but it isn't great. I hope they do a real one at some point.

UK to the left, Russia/Northern Asia to the right with Greece stiched to it's udder and Antarctica in the south.

Can't unsee it.

yacobod said:
at this point the only 2 explanations for jon's parentage that i'd be willing to accept would be:
R+L = J
or
Ned + Ashara Dayne in a distant 2nd place.

I have a theory that R+L actually had a child, but it wasn't Jon. Maybe it was Edric Dayne.

Or maybe Ned DID have a child with Ashara/Wylla and THAT son is Edric (or some other child in the south) and Jon is R+L's.

I'm convinced the switch that Jon did was symbolic of his own birth.

Sotha Sil

bengraven said:

Yeah, that's kind of why I don't see that happening. Poetic, but kind of underwhelming. I like the idea of L+R having a child that is not Jon, and Jon really being Ned's, though.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I feel like a 5 year gap is far too great a leap in time and would still require too many flash backs which was the whole issue that screwed up Martin in the first place and forced him to abandon the idea 11 years ago after finishing ASOS. Plus I feel like a lot of readers would feel cheated at missing out on the development of a lot of characters and events over that large a time.

I feel like a one year gap would be much more manageable, though still problematic, and more than sufficient for plot purposes. In the 4 books we've had barely 3 years have passed and look at everything that has occurred in that time, jumping ahead just a single year could still really move things forward.

The wildlings would have more than enough time to build up settlements and get acclimated with the area, even grow some crops and farm animals, if thats what happens in the Gift. Between the ADWD events and that skipped year Dany would have more than enough time to pacify Slavers Bay and establish order and prepare her forces to advance towards Westeros. Jon would have ample time to make preparations on the Wall and train scores of wildling converts to the Nights Watch.

Its much easier to summarize the events of a single year than five, especially with this series. But even so theres still so many subplots that have yet to be resolved and so many characters all over the place doing vastly different things that it would be extremely difficult to either resolve those plot issues or put them all in a position where they could go relatively undeveloped for a year, let alone five, by the end of ADWD without leaving readers to wonder what was going on in the mean time even with the use of flashbacks or summaries of events.

methodman

Banned
Sotha Sil said:
Yeah, that's kind of why I don't see that happening. Poetic, but kind of underwhelming. I like the idea of L+R having a child that is not Jon, and Jon really being Ned's, though.

I've read every book in this series within a few months of release, and I thought of R+L by myself in my first read through. Was almost 100% sure that it was true but now it's been so long since those books, and so many people have read theories online, that R+L almost seems too obvious.

Meh.

I'd still want it to be true, but at this point I feel like GRRM will change it because he doesn't want to have the obvious out there.

- Results from Tower of the Hand's Top Character Poll

Includes rankings, discussions of each character, and demographic/statistical information from the poll.

Their Top 10:
The Results

1. Tyrion Lannister (Normalized Score: 1.000, Ballots: 92.2%)
2. Jon Snow (0.885, 85.6%)
3. Arya Stark (0.704, 77.1%)
4. Jaime Lannister (0.694, 79.1%)
5. Sandor Clegane (0.574, 73.5%)
6. Daenerys Targaryen (0.545, 69.3%)
7. Eddard Stark (0.498, 62.4%)
8. Davos Seaworth (0.378, 57.5%)
9. Bran Stark (0.367, 48.4%)
10. Petyr Baelish (0.355, 53.3%)
Check out the other thirty (#11-40) via the link if you're interested.

neoanarch

bengraven said:
UK to the left, Russia/Northern Asia to the right with Greece stiched to it's udder and Antarctica in the south.

Can't unsee it.

I have a theory that R+L actually had a child, but it wasn't Jon. Maybe it was Edric Dayne.

Or maybe Ned DID have a child with Ashara/Wylla and THAT son is Edric (or some other child in the south) and Jon is R+L's.

Edric is too young, about a year older than Arya.

Ashara isdescribed as having violet eyes so I could see her taking any possible R+L baby to hide its parentage and running away not killing herself like its been said. I really gotta reread the books because the details are fuzzy. But its said she threw herself from one of the towers in Starfell and her body was never found. Also Dawn is missing or never mentioned to be in the possession of anyone which is odd.

KingK

Cornballer said:
The stitched version of the map might be your best bet, but it isn't great. I hope they do a real one at some point.

Yeah, that map at least has the placement of Braavos wrong. It should be much further north. Hopefully we get a map of the Free cities with Dance.

Also, my top 3 would have to be:

1. Arya

2. Tyrion
3. Jon

The spaces are there to symbolize just how much Arya beats all the other camel cunts in my rankings.

Robb, the Blackfish, and Oberyn Martell are my favorite non-POV characters. Too bad 2 of them are dead :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom