• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvaz

Banned
How the fuck did you not know about that implication?

God people, read the lore more. Get in the conversations and read the wikis.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
no, ew

edit: but seriously, I really don't like reading any of that stuff. I'd have been surprised when Jon ended up being a Targ, now it's just... expected. I probably shouldn't read this thread.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Holy shit that Jojen theory. I wish it weren't so believable because that has me bummed out.

Is it just because I read all five books back to back and so didn't participate in any of the online discussion after the other four, or are there a lot more things implied but not confirmed in Dance than there were in other books?

Aegon is a Blackfyre and/or Illyrio's son.

And probably doesn't mean anything, but I thought it was funny: based on Dany's own ruling in one of the court scenes, she no longer has any right to the Iron Throne.

Pkaz01

Does anyone know what happened to Thoros when Catelyn took over? Did he separate from the brotherhood with his own crew or is he following catelyn even though she is an abomination?

Does anyone know what happened to Thoros when Catelyn took over? Did he separate from the brotherhood with his own crew or is he following catelyn even though she is an abomination?

Thoros was in the last Brienne chapter of AFFC. He's following Lady Stoneheart but doesn't seem too happy about it.

I just finished watching season 2, havent read the books and don't ever plan to. My request is.... can someone give me a tease about what lies ahead? Not a huge spoiler but some cryptic hint that will blow my mind and hype me even further for next year.

Anyone thinks that Bran will end up being the great other? Bloodraven and the children of the forest don't look so trustworthy.

I read a theory that Bran was the Great Other and Bloodraven was controlling the Others via warging or some such.

It'd be an alrite twist but I'd prefer the Great Other and the Others themselves being something new and interesting

Gregorn

I just finished watching season 2, havent read the books and don't ever plan to. My request is.... can someone give me a tease about what lies ahead? Not a huge spoiler but some cryptic hint that will blow my mind and hype me even further for next year.

Ask the 'Season 2' thread instead of this one, you won't want to be reading any posts in here.

The 3rd book is universally agreed to be the best book in the series, the first 2 books have all been building up to it. There's a scene that some weird fan won't ever read because they think it's too sad.

what lies ahead is superior storytelling. if the showrunners arent total hacks, they should be able to translate season 3 into exceptional tv. (apart from Blackwater, I cant think of a single episode from S2 that was even close being exceptional)

bengraven

Sure.

The major war will be over by next season or the one after, but an even bigger one between another faction is on the horizon and another starts overseas.
A very shocking moment happens at a gathering where two major characters meet untimely fates.
Someone chokes and people cheer.
A major character gets his cock chopped off and becomes a psychopath, but to some people a very redeemable psychopath.
A major character returns from the dead as a vengeance seeking zombie.
People eat other people accidently or to survive.
Someone gains an army of eunuchs.
You should really read the books, because they're fantastic.
East meets west when several characters from Westeros go to meet up with Dany.
Hodor.

cj_iwakura

I'm not sure who that psychopath refers to...

Almost done with my reread of CoK, and if nothing else stands out to me, it's that almost everything bad that happens to the kings is brought on themselves.

The most painful scene was Renly and Stannis' parley. So much prideful foolishness.

Sure.

The major war will be over by next season or the one after, but an even bigger one between another faction is on the horizon and another starts overseas.
A very shocking moment happens at a gathering where two major characters meet untimely fates.
Someone chokes and people cheer.
A major character gets his cock chopped off and becomes a psychopath, but to some people a very redeemable psychopath.
A major character returns from the dead as a vengeance seeking zombie.
People eat other people accidently or to survive.
Someone gains an army of eunuchs.
You should really read the books, because they're fantastic.
East meets west when several characters from Westeros go to meet up with Dany.
Hodor.

You forgot that various people lose the ability to tell where cocks end and cuts begin.
A certain queen explores a Myrish swamp.
And the fat pink mast of the a watchman is exposed.

bengraven

I'm not sure who that psychopath refers to...

Almost done with my reread of CoK, and if nothing else stands out to me, it's that almost everything bad that happens to the kings is brought on themselves.

The most painful scene was Renly and Stannis' parley. So much prideful foolishness.

I consider someone going "My name is Reek, it rhymes with meek" and "you have to remember your name, I'm REEK...REEK" over and over again psychopathic.

You forgot that various people lose the ability to tell where cocks end and cuts begin.
A certain queen explores a Myrish swamp.
And the fat pink mast of the a watchman is exposed.

*nods* Touche.

Also a lot of rubbing golden breasts and turning on queens.

I consider someone going "My name is Reek, it rhymes with meek" and "you have to remember your name, I'm REEK...REEK" over and over again psychopathic.

Reek is insane because of what Ramsay did to him but he's not a psychopath. He clearly feels remorse for his actions.

Huh, golden breasts? I can't seem remember that.

Though I do remember large dark nipples. Lots of them.
I think he means the hilts of Daario's swords.

bengraven

Huh, golden breasts? I can't seem remember that.

Though I do remember large dark nipples. Lots of them.

He rubs the golden breasts on his dagger hilts and it turns on the queen, who pictures him rubbing her golden breasts.

Reek is insane because of what Ramsay did to him but he's not a psychopath. He clearly feels remorse for his actions.

That's true, he's not completely insane. He's keeping a part of himself compartmentalized.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Interesting, because I thought it was Jaimie. His right hand was essentially his "cock", after all, and you can make the claim he's always had some sort of extreme case of narcissistic personality disorder, to a very violent end.

bluemax

Banned
The wolf's head isn't even shown in the book, of course it won't be in the show. There might be a mention of it by Joffery though.

Given some of the disappointment I sense from new viewers of S2, I really wonder how they'll handle the RW. Seems like many people are also rather down on Robb compared to S1, but I'm sure they're still ultimately rooting for his cause. Once the RW happens...there aren't many people to root for. I'm going to assume the show will continue to handle Dany poorly, but Jon's arc should get better. Then there's Tyrion, but he gets fucked in ASOS too obviously. I think the show is going to run out of likable characters for people and interest will decline.

So, just like the books?

I'm totally avoiding all posts and spoilers in this thread.

I just finished the Red Wedding chapter.

WTF, man, wtf. This fucking series. This FUCKING series.

Fuck.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think the Lady Stoneheart storyline has a lot of potential. To be fair, we basically haven't seen her do anything terribly relevant yet. How she behaves upon meeting up with someone like Jaime or her children will be very interesting.

Lady Stoneheart is such a shitty story line

nope, I like it. It's dark, twisted shit and I like it, same with the Robert Strong angle.
I love the esoteric stuff that goes on in the background of the Wars of the Roses type stuff.
and Stoneheart isnt even really Cat anymore, I mean, she meant to hang Payne for the crime of squiring for Tyrion Lannister.
that's a level of ruthlessness Cat never had.

Lumiere

Neo Member
I think the Lady Stoneheart storyline has a lot of potential. To be fair, we basically haven't seen her do anything terribly relevant yet. How she behaves upon meeting up with someone like Jaime or her children will be very interesting.

I didn't really like the Lady Stoneheart twist (felt it was somewhat cheap), but agree with you that she hasn't had the chance to do much yet. It could get interesting... we'll have to wait and see!

Always brings a smile to my face to read this.

The great/terrible thing after I read the RW chapter was that I was super pissed. And wanted some Lannister to die quickly. And the great thing is that GRRM keeps going a while before killing off Joffrey finally. But in that interim between the RW and Joff dying, I was seriously questioning whether nothing was going to happen.

Lady Stoneheart is such a shitty story line

I'm going to give it some time. Really, we barely seen anything with the Brotherhood under Stoneheart. And the whole zombie aspect is fair game, since we get the Wights in the very first chapter of AGoT and I have to think it fits in with the whole fire/ice dynamic- wights, Others= ice and R'hllor, fire zombies (Cat, Beric, probably Jon)= fire.

And I'm ok with Stoneheart too, because its kind of really screwed up. I mean, its not like its just Cat back from the dead all normal- she's physically a mess and mentally snapped. I just think back to Cat's RW chapter when she loses it and scratches her face up and thinks the Frey men are going to cut off her hair, the hair that Ned loved... I feel really bad for her, even as a zombie, cause I bet she'd probably rather be dead. But since she's been brought back, she's just going to single-mindedly get revenge for the destruction of her whole family.

Although, I would be interested to see how she'd react if she knew that Arya, Sansa, Bran and Rickon were still actually alive. Thats another thing I'm confused on the show about- why are they waiting to reveal Bran and Rickon's "deaths" to Robb and Cat?

you're forgetting everyone's favourite character, Quentyn

No, I think the qualifier on put on there eliminates him. I could bring up Arys Oakheart or all the prologue POVs too, but those are just characters GRRM used because he needed someone to show a scene, they aren't major characters anyone cares about.

hemtae

The thing I hated the most about the Red Wedding was that an Arya chapter immediately followed it and she got so close to getting reunited which would have been great for all the crap she had to go through.

bengraven

GRRM doesn't really do POV deaths though. Other than Cat, Ned is the only significant POV to die.

Yeah, but that's the two heads of the main household we follow in this series. That's like Luke and Leia both dying in the first two movies of the original SW trilogy.

Nlroh

The thing I hated the most about the Red Wedding was that an Arya chapter immediately followed it and she got so close to getting reunited which would have been great for all the crap she had to go through.

That chapter made me stop reading the book... for 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom