• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
Red Nightmare said:
(I am speaking of course of Rhaegar Targaryen's son "Jon Snow").

But Jon Snow's hair is the wrong color and on multiple occasions it's mentioned that he looks more like Ned than some of his half-siblings. This would be an eye-roll worthy reveal on GRRM's part if it happens.

FStop7 said:
But Jon Snow's hair is the wrong color and on multiple occasions it's mentioned that he looks more like Ned than some of his half-siblings. This would be an eye-roll worthy reveal on GRRM's part if it happens.
Why does he have to have that color hair if his mom is lyanna stark? Also, would it be surprising that Jon looks like his uncle ned?

Cornballer said:
- Results from Tower of the Hand's Top Character Poll

Includes rankings, discussions of each character, and demographic/statistical information from the poll.

Their Top 10:Check out the other thirty (#11-40) via the link if you're interested.
Needs more Drizz Lannister.

Man, it's pretty amazing reading about all the little hints I missed during my first read of the series. Once I'm done with ADWD, I'm going through them all again.

Puddles

Banned
1. Robb (R.I.P.) :(
2. Tyrion
3. Jon Snow, the son of Ned Stark and Ashara Dayne
4. The Hound
5. Sam and his Fat Pink Mast
6. Arya (would have been higher if she hadn't killed the Night Watch deserter)
7. Littlefinger (aka The Catalyst)
8. Qyburn
9. The Myrish Swamp
10. Dolorous Edd

Blue Ninja said:
Needs more Drizz Lannister.

Man, it's pretty amazing reading about all the little hints I missed during my first read of the series. Once I'm done with ADWD, I'm going through them all again.
drizz lannister is the undisputed number 1 of course. The rest of the poll is for second place.

Tideas

Banned
One thing confuses me.

in every book besides a Game of Throne, Cersei would mention that it was Sansa that told her of Ned's plot.

but when I go back to Thrones, I don't see it anywhere. I only see Ned telling her.

Was this a mishap on Martin's part?

dabig2

FStop7 said:

Well, Rhaegar was a product of a long line of incest. I bet his genes couldn't stand up to a Stark's.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Yeah he gets on my nerves a bit as well. He's alright though because there is usually a lot of plot progression where he is involved.

Most fascinating ones for me where Jon, Sam, Arya and Jaime.

Tideas said:
One thing confuses me.

in every book besides a Game of Throne, Cersei would mention that it was Sansa that told her of Ned's plot.

but when I go back to Thrones, I don't see it anywhere. I only see Ned telling her.

Sansa's "informing" of ned's plans was only her telling cersei that ned planned to send his daughters away by ship. If you read it, cersei was then immediately able to take sansa into custody as a hostage. Ned and Cersei of course had their little encounter in the godswood where ned told cersei he knew. This is one of the reasons why people who flip out about sansa's "betrayal" are overreacting. Just about all it did was make the 99% chance that cersei would grab the sansa as a hostage into a 100% chance to do so.

Piecake

Tideas said:
One thing confuses me.

I dont know if it was said it book 1, but it was specifically stated in book 2 in a conversation with Cersei and Tyrion. Cersei told tyrion that Sansa betrayed her fathers plans (the timeline of when he was sending away his family or something) because Cersei said Sana was "wet with love" and someone said Joffery ended that right quick when he chopped her father's head off

Watching the show right now. Just seeing the Freys makes me angry .. even though they're fictional characters. haha

I really hope Martin drops the hammer on them in the upcoming books.

FStop7 said:

I don't know if you've read the Dunk and Egg stories but the first one is full of Targaryen's that don't have the white hair.

Jon looks like Ned and Arya, Arya looks Lyanna according to Ned.

Maklershed said:
Watching the show right now. Just seeing the Freys makes me angry .. even though they're fictional characters. haha

I really hope Martin drops the hammer on them in the upcoming books.
It was nice seeing dondarrion's group hang a bunch of them, and getting the heir to the twins a day's ride from their home base. Makes me wonder with tom o'sevens being in jaime's camp whether they're going to make a play to get jaime, or whether he's there to spot when edmure leaves, etc.

Dresden

Badass characters without POVs:

1. Bronn
2. The Hound
3. Oberyn
4. Barristan
5. Howland Reed (so badass, we don't even see him)

aceface

Watching the end of the first season of the TV show makes me realize how well the first book set up the zombies vs. dragons showdown. GRRM really got bogged down in the political machinations and the war in the riverlands. Not that that stuff is bad. But I can see how the series was originally meant to be a trilogy.

Pollux

aceface said:
Watching the end of the first season of the TV show makes me realize how well the first book set up the zombies vs. dragons showdown. GRRM really got bogged down in the political machinations and the war in the riverlands. Not that that stuff is bad. But I can see how the series was originally meant to be a trilogy.
This was supposed to be a trilogy? lol wow.

Tideas

Banned
I don't get what the world's ppl's obsession with Rhaegar. He seems like a pretty good looking guy, but the way they say how such a great fighter he is. Dude got owned by Roberts.

I wonder who is a better fighter than, Robert during the War, or Jaime. Or Bronn

Tideas said:
I don't get what the world's ppl's obsession with Rhaegar. He seems like a pretty good looking guy, but the way they say how such a great fighter he is. Dude got owned by Roberts.

I wonder who is a better fighter than, Robert during the War, or Jaime. Or Bronn
Rhaegar was the crown prince, a badass jouster and fighter, a good leader, a wise person, a great musician, etc etc. Just because someone lost one fight doesn't mean they are shit.

And he had sexy ass eyes that would be soooooo dreamy.

Aselith

aceface said:

Thank god he did. That's what makes it good not some high fantasy horseshit.

Tideas

Banned
elrechazao said:
Rhaegar was the crown prince, a badass jouster and fighter, a good leader, a wise person, a great musician, etc etc. Just because someone lost one fight doesn't mean they are shit.

And he had sexy ass eyes that would be soooooo dreamy.

badass fighter? The only fight that they ever described him in, he got his chest cave in.

Don't see the book ever describing him to be a good leader either.

I'll agree on that musician though.

Tideas said:
badass fighter? The only fight that they ever described him in, he got his chest cave in.

Don't see the book ever describing him to be a good leader either.

I'll agree on that musician though.
He won the biggest tourney of the last few decades, how did you miss that? Barristan (who would know) said he was a great fighter. Also, there were dozens of comments about him being a good person good leader etc. for example - jorah praising dany as being rhaegar's sister. Read for context on that one.

Tideas

Banned
elrechazao said:
He won the biggest tourney of the last few decades, how did you miss that? Barristan (who would know) said he was a great fighter. Also, there were dozens of comments about him being a good person good leader etc. for example - jorah praising dany as being rhaegar's sister. Read for context on that one.

doing well at tourney is one thing, but it does not make you a bad ass. I don't think the book ever described him winning any real battles or fights.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tideas said:
doing well at tourney is one thing, but it does not make you a bad ass. I don't think the book ever described him winning any real battles or fights.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'll just give up at this point, since you're worming your way out of every point. Robert always won the melees of the tourneys, jaime and the hound won jousting tourneys, but you're right, the tourneys mean nothing, those guys are all shitty fighters too.

FStop7

Banned
From the TV only thread -

So at the wall. It's Aria Stark, Jon Snow, Robert's bastard son, Dany's Uncle and Jorah's father?

Holy shit.

Ah ha.

Hahaha.

HahahaahhahahaHAHAHAHAH!

They just don't get it yet, do they?

Just ordered the bundle, the books should be here in 5-7 days, perfect for my 3 week holiday in France. Going to start with the first book to read all the details and little things that weren't in the show. Then off to the 2nd book, can't freaking wait. Guess I'll be joining this thread next year.

FStop7 said:
From the TV only thread -

Ah ha.

Hahaha.

HahahaahhahahaHAHAHAHAH!

They just don't get it yet, do they?
What's to get? At the end of the season they're heading off for the wall.

I don't remember them ever explicitly saying so in the books that Yoren intended to drop her off at Winterfell (likely), but it's not dumb to think they'll be where they're headed at the end of the season.

Those interested in the Kindle Edition 4-pack might be glad to know that the price has dropped to $29.99. That's like $7.50 per book. Cheaper than buying all four separately on the kindle at least.

funk0ar

can someone give an indication of how the first season went for HBO? I know there will still be dvd sales et, but how is it looking at the minute? I think after reading a lot of very positive reactions from non readers the show can only go higher with larger budgets? I mean this season really just is the epilogue, if the show wants a chance at doing the next seasons the same justice it did the first they will need more money.

ultron87

Mockingbird said:
Those interested in the Kindle Edition 4-pack might be glad to know that the price has dropped to $29.99. That's like $7.50 per book. Cheaper than buying all four separately on the kindle at least.

Still $10 more than the paperbacks. *rage*

- Suvudu shows of ADwD:
The Dragon has landed! (aka, George R.R. Martin’s epic arrives!)

Qnbq1.jpg

Today is an epic day. No, it is not July 12th yet. But it is the day that I get to see finished copies of A Dance with Dragons after several weeks of frantic work that would have left me completely grey under my nice dye job if I weren’t there already.

Yes, it is really here. A really real, very solid book filled with many excellent words! It is pretty. And shiny. And big. And it weighs a ton!

Which latter might be a good thing, since I may need to use it to beat off all the eager fans desperate for an early copy. Since word went out that the book was done, I have become the most popular girl in the universe. Every day, I get at least one mail for a friend or colleague, begging for an early copy.

To all which I have one word: EMBARGOED! Yes, we have embargoed the book. That means that only a few select reviewers get to read it early, and only then if they sign a non-disclosure agreement. Everyone else… Well, I’m sorry, but you just have to wait.

Three weeks and one day; that is not so long. You can do it; I know you can. Meanwhile, I will hide my copy away in a deep, dark place, and take it out only to admire it in quiet corners. (”Yessss. My preciousssss…”)

Now, if only it would fit into my pocketses!

Timbuktu

Just finished A feast for crows, maybe a little to quickly. Just wondering about what you guys think about the status of a couple of characters, namely Davos and Loras. Both fairly big namely and are reportedly dead or dying. It's all in Cersei's POVs though, and i'm not sure if i (want to) believe it. Would be great if it turns out cersei was being lied to and completely played all along. Her inner monologue are comical at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom