• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

Banned
image.php

Why!? Why is there a Team for this?

Dracarys!

Just getting ready for season 3 and the Twilghtification of ASOIAF! Everyone pick Team Daario or Team Jorah now! Yay!

Fuck that dumb show.

Levi

Banned
Well it's summer again. Time for another series re-read while I wait for some news of winds.

I always wait to start my reread until the first snow of the season, although I am very tempted to do a second reread this year to wash the taste of Season two out of my mouth.

Just watched the 2nd season of the show after a 10 hour marathon.. Man oh man did I not like it....

The whole changing who Robb marries and the house of the undying scene just ruined it for me.

Iksenpets

Banned
Nope it remains a mystery to be solved next season. Of course the game has changed with the deaths of the Thirteen, so it could take two seasons to solve.

Clearly Jorah is now the richest man in Qarth with his sackful of candlesticks. In season three he'll betray Dany by declaring himself the King of Qarth and capturing her dragons in the boat he bought.

Altazor

Clearly Jorah is now the richest man in Qarth with his sackful of candlesticks. In season three he'll betray Dany by declaring himself the King of Qarth and capturing her dragons in the boat he bought.

and then she'll yell at him WHEEEEEERE AAAAARE MY DRAAAAAAAGOOOONS

Tuck

I know this is somewhat off topic, but now that I'm done the books (that have been released), I don't really have anything good to read.

Any recommendations for fantasy books that are sort of along the lines of this one?

moojito

I know this is somewhat off topic, but now that I'm done the books (that have been released), I don't really have anything good to read.

Any recommendations for fantasy books that are sort of along the lines of this one?

You should google "fantasy books site:neogaf.com" to see the 100-odd threads people in a similar situation to yourself have found themselves in have created.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
You should google "fantasy books site:neogaf.com" to see the 100-odd threads people in a similar situation to yourself have found themselves in have created.

Which all usually degraded into people claiming ASoFI is the greatest thing ever while lol all other fantasy is garbage lol.

ezrarh

Which all usually degraded into people claiming ASoFI is the greatest thing ever while lol all other fantasy is garbage lol.

I just finished reading Name of the Wind by Rothfuss at Gaf's recommendation and while it's kinda entertaining, overall it's terrible. Therefore all other fantasy is garbage.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

I've been on a search for a fantasy series that would live up or surpass it but nothing close yet.

I just finished reading Name of the Wind by Rothfuss at Gaf's recommendation and while it's kinda entertaining, overall it's terrible. Therefore all other fantasy is garbage.

high five

Levi

Banned

Assassin's Apprentice, Robin Hobb. Anything by Daniel Abraham or Joe Abercrombie. Avoid Rothfuss, Jordan, and Goodkind. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not your friend.

Lirlond

Assassin's Apprentice, Robin Hobb. Anything by Daniel Abraham or Joe Abercrombie. Avoid Rothfuss, Jordan, and Goodkind. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not your friend.

Wheel of Time books are good! There's so much worse. I agree with Rothfuss and Goodkind. Rothfuss had some slack for Name of the Wind, but Wise Man's Fear was just godawful. Goodkind is in a bad of his own.

Dune is good. I guess thats sort of Fantasy? Future-Fantasy.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Man I don't always agree with GAF but I think it's the only place on the internet where there are other people who dislike Rothfuss's shit. My roommate, who I'm generally pretty in-sync with, insists it's better than GRRM and it is insanity.

Pecan1

Banned
So are there any theories about whats going on w/ Sam in old town and whatever his name is The Mage (archmaester thats seeking Dany). I just looked over the prologue and last chapter of AFFC and noticed that the faceless man who kills prologue Pate has stolen his identity or something and is in Samwells company at the end .

Is that the last we hear of that or am I leaving out something from ADWD?

Iksenpets

Banned
So are there any theories about whats going on w/ Sam in old town and whatever his name is The Mage (archmaester thats seeking Dany). I just looked over the prologue and last chapter of AFFC and noticed that the faceless man who kills prologue Pate has stolen his identity or something and is in Samwells company at the end .

Is that the last we hear of that or am I leaving out something from ADWD?

Nope, we got zero Sam updates in Dance. The only things we've really picked up from Sam's time in Oldtown is that the maesters may have played a part in the extinction of the dragons. I think Sam may just be there to find some knowledge about how exactly magic has been returning. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe somehow he'll end up tying into the Dornish plotline, since one of his companions in the Citadel is one of Oberyn's daughters in disguise. (Prince Doran mentions one of the Sand Snakes named Sarella, whose mother was a Summer Islander, is in Oldtown. Sam is in the company of a half Dornish half Summer Islander named Alleras, if you weren't familiar with the theory.)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Also, the Faceless Man who killed Pate and is now posing as him is Jaqen H'ghar.

Killing off Dany would be the worst plot decision of all time. It would turn her story from something that is going somewhere but has unfortunately got stuck in idle for a bit into the biggest waste of time ever. It would be the only thing stupider than Jon being actually dead.

It would be like following Quentyn for 4 books instead of 4 chapters and then offing him after having the same impact on the story.

I didn't care much for the Quentyn chapters, but I actually think he has a huge impact on the story, or at least will have soon enough. Dorne was pretty much the only major power in Westeros sympathetic to Dany's cause (although more because of revenge than loyalty). When they find out that Dany laughed off the marriage pact (the fact that the pact didn't actually involve her will mean nothing to anyone), and then one of her dragons killed him, it's safe to say she has burnt that bridge. I mean, half of Dorne seemed ready to go to war over the Red Viper, and he died in a trial by combat he volunteered for, so there's no telling what they'll do when they find out their prince got cooked.

Not sure will Dorne actually go to war, but they might just side with Aegon (of course, if they believe he's the real deal, then they probably would have done that anyway, him being Elia's kid). They might also plan their own Red Wedding.

Also, the Faceless Man who killed Pate and is now posing as him is Jaqen H'ghar.

I didn't care much for the Quentyn chapters, but I actually think he has a huge impact on the story, or at least will have soon enough. Dorne was pretty much the only major power in Westeros sympathetic to Dany's cause (although more because of revenge than loyalty). When they find out that Dany laughed off the marriage pact (the fact that the pact didn't actually involve her will mean nothing to anyone), and then one of her dragons killed him, it's safe to say she has burnt that bridge. I mean, half of Dorne seemed ready to go to war over the Red Viper, and he died in a trial by combat he volunteered for, so there's no telling what they'll do when they find out their prince got cooked.

Not sure will Dorne actually go to war, but they might just side with Aegon (of course, if they believe he's the real deal, then they probably would have done that anyway, him being Elia's kid). They might also plan their own Red Wedding.
Assuming Dorne even finds out those details in time, why did Quentyn's death require multiple POV chapters? Why did we need to see him wandering around, stalling, and detailing an endless number of irrelevant mercenary companies? Other than his final death chapter, everything else from his POV is filler. Quentyn's presence as a POV character feels like a holdover from before Barristan became a POV and remained in there because GRRM has became reluctant "to kill his darlings."

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Assuming Dorne even finds out those details in time, why did Quentyn's death require multiple POV chapters? Why did we need to see him wandering around, stalling, and detailing an endless number of irrelevant mercenary companies? Other than his final death chapter, everything else from his POV is filler. Quentyn's presence as a POV character feels like a holdover from before Barristan became a POV and remained in there because GRRM has became reluctant "to kill his darlings."

As I said, I didn't really care for his chapters, but I do think his impact in the overall story justified 4 POVs, though I would have gladly settled for less. I figure Martin thought it would look lazy if he just had Quentyn show up in Meereen, and then give him one POV to kill him. Maybe he tried to make the reader see him as a real character and not just someone who needed to die for the plot. Of course that's exactly what he was, but it's no surprise Martin would try to hide it, no matter how clumsily.

And I do think they will find out, because his death, and how it affects Dany's possible relationship with Dorne, was the only point in his story. If they don't find out, then I agree that the POVs were pointless, but if they just find out too late, then my Red Wedding guess would seem more likely. They help Dany in Westeros, but then learn what happened to Quentyn, and then it's time to settle the score. I also don't think his companions were left alive for no reason.

Whatever happens, I think his death will come back to haunt Dany.

LM4sure

Banned
Killing off Dany would be the worst plot decision of all time. It would turn her story from something that is going somewhere but has unfortunately got stuck in idle for a bit into the biggest waste of time ever. It would be the only thing stupider than Jon being actually dead.

It would be like following Quentyn for 4 books instead of 4 chapters and then offing him after having the same impact on the story.

I don't think it would be the worst decision ever. She did have her point. She hatched the dragons and now her role is done. She's been taking too damn long to get to Westeros. I would even be satisfied if she gets to Westeros and then takes a spear in the gut. Then maybe her brother could take the dragons. He seems like a much cooler Targaryen than Dany. Dany is a spoiled brat but she had nothing most of her life. She's like that other douche bag brother of hers.

And truly, is that Xaro guy not the richest guy in Qarth??? When did we figure this out? I know in the show he had nothing, but that wasn't in the book, was it? As far as I know, he is the richest man in Qarth.

And truly, is that Xaro guy not the richest guy in Qarth??? When did we figure this out? I know in the show he had nothing, but that wasn't in the book, was it? As far as I know, he is the richest man in Qarth.

While he is fabiously wealthy, I don't think he is actually called the richest man in Qarth in the book. His backstory of being an immigrant who came from rags to riches and his empty vault is just a show invention.

ultron87

I don't think it would be the worst decision ever. She did have her point. She hatched the dragons and now her role is done. She's been taking too damn long to get to Westeros. I would even be satisfied if she gets to Westeros and then takes a spear in the gut. Then maybe her brother could take the dragons. He seems like a much cooler Targaryen than Dany. Dany is a spoiled brat but she had nothing most of her life. She's like that other douche bag brother of hers.

If that was her only role she wouldn't have been in 3 more books after that. Martin clearly has a plan for her. If that plan is "follow her for 4 books and then have her get randomly shanked after having little to no impact on the primary story of the series (ie Westeros)" he is a terrible writer.

I understand that you dislike the character and I agree that her spinning her wheels has gotten tiresome. The only thing worse than her spinning her wheels would be for her to do that for 2 books and then get killed stupidly for stupid shock value or to appease fans who don't like her. We've followed the primary viewpoint characters for far too long to just randomly kill them at this point.

The only thing I can recommend - and you can debate how fantasy it is (or isn't) - is the Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe. It has the same depth of worldbuilding and an even greater depth of language and culture presented. Gritty, too.

Summer's here and i was looking on amazon for books to take to the beach. I was gonna get "Wise Man's Fear" but everyone has been shitting on in and told me to stay far away. So i figured i'd do yet another aSoIaF reread, with a twist. I'm considering the graphic novel, forgive me GAF.

Uriah

Nope, we got zero Sam updates in Dance. The only things we've really picked up from Sam's time in Oldtown is that the maesters may have played a part in the extinction of the dragons. I think Sam may just be there to find some knowledge about how exactly magic has been returning. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe somehow he'll end up tying into the Dornish plotline, since one of his companions in the Citadel is one of Oberyn's daughters in disguise. (Prince Doran mentions one of the Sand Snakes named Sarella, whose mother was a Summer Islander, is in Oldtown. Sam is in the company of a half Dornish half Summer Islander named Alleras, if you weren't familiar with the theory.)

Could you expand on this?

ZeroRay

Could you expand on this?

Marwyn basically said outright that it's the maesters that were responsible for the death of dragons in the last AFFC chapter.

The Citadel also heavily guards the only known copy of "The Death of Dragons" that many theorize is what the Alchemist is after.

LProtag

Yeah the Citadel has that whole "magic isn't real, science will get you where you need to go" mentality. There's subtle references to it in Maester Luwin talking about how few Maesters study magic and those who do are taught that it is impossible, and with the whole attempting to light the dragonglass candle thing and how they are taught to accept that there are some things no one can do.

Sielys

Speculative stuff, don't know if it needs spoiler tags.

So I was reading an interview with Alfie Allen (who plays Theon in the show, if anyone didn't know), who said:

"You know, I asked him about who Jon Snow's real parents were, and he told me. I can't say who, but I can tell you that it involves a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation. It will all come to fruition eventually. The whole thing with all the fight over proper succession is partly inspired by the War of the Roses in the late 1400s, and back then, to ensure pedigree, the monarchies were kind of inbred. It's definitely fucked up, but it definitely happened back then, so that's why there's incest with the Targaryen line. It's toned down, though"

Link to interview: http://www.vulture.com/2012/06/game-of-thrones-theon-alfie-allen-interview.html?imw=Y

So this seems like a pretty significant 'leak' to me, what does everyone here think? Am I actually trying to make something out of nothing?

Sean Bean had suggestive comments about Jon's heritage too, r+l=j is basically confirmed at this point, though really its been the clear answer since agot.

Levi

Banned
Isn't Daario more than likely dead or going to die soon? I thought all the Yun'kai hostages were launched at Meereen's walls...

Not dead. Even if he dies in Winds, that's three seasons he can be on the show, rubbing his sword hilts. Besides, don't over think it - - my avatar is a subtle slam on the HBO show and not-so-subtle troll to book readers, nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom