• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

Banned
I can't find a picture of this cover after an evening of Googling, anyone here remember this version of AGOT? The first time I read AGOT, it was an American mass-market paperback that had a preprinted special offer price on the front. I'm pretty sure it was 2.99 but I might be wrong. I bought it at Barnes and Noble, because it was cheap and thick. I'd really like an image if anyone has that version or knows where to find a picture.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Astapor and Yunkai should satisfy people if they translate it onto the screen well.

I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the showrunners right now, but I'm pretty sure Astapor was one of the story arcs they were most excited about doing.

If they can pull off this moment, I'll forget every Season 2 transgression:

Top 5 moment in the series. All 5 of those would come from ASOS.

Whole scene was incredibly stupid in the novel, and I fear it will be even more silly on the show. Them just giving her the whole army within the city walls was just a total "rollseye" moment.

Won

Saw this on Tumblr and just had to share it here...

YYYvH.png

When I started reading the books last year I expected the story take a similar direction.

Finally finished ADWD recently and I'm still waiting on my Dragons vs Zombies battles......
But I guess Pyramids are cool too or something.

Arnie

Hullo!

I just finished the series. Took me, like, 2 weeks of off and on reading.

Wow! I've never read anything quite like it.

What the fuck.

I've just finished ADWD now (like 10 minutes ago) and I started reading the books back in September. That's on and off reading in the evenings. I don't want to imagine how much of your days were dedicated to the books if you blasted through them all in two weeks.

That epilogue was a nice conclusion; especially all the talk about Aegon and why we may finally see a good king. I still feel pissed off that Dany is such a waste of time and space, and that Jon is seemingly dead.

Anyone think Jon's still alive? I think he'll be saved by the wildlings.

Arnie

Can someone link me to anything explaining why some people seem convinced Jon isn't dead? Reading back over this thread it's like his last chapter where he gets stabbed four times didn't happen. I read it as if he's dead.

Can people fill me in on the general hoodoo about his parents. That whole thing boggles my mind, I thought the book mentioned his mother being a fisher wife?

Most people to think that Jon will be saved/resurrected by Melisandre
Thanks. I fucking hope so, he's my favourite character. That chapter hit me more than the red wedding. George is a dickhead too, we had that great moment where the wildlings were willing to fight for him, then that happens.

hemtae

Can someone link me to anything explaining why some people seem convinced Jon isn't dead? Reading back over this thread it's like his last chapter where he gets stabbed four times didn't happen. I read it as if he's dead.

Can people fill me in on the general hoodoo about his parents. That whole thing boggles my mind, I thought the book mentioned his mother being a fisher wife?

I can remember Melisandre mentioning that she saw him going from a man to a wolf to a man which can be interpreted as him warging into Ghost then can resurrected by Melisandre.

Stannis mentioned the "fishwife" thing as a joke. Most people think that Jon's parents were Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryan. The only thing point blank mentioned in the books was Ned Dayne saying that it was Wylla some serving girl for house Dayne.

Arnie

I can remember Melisandre mentioning that she saw him going from a man to a wolf to a man which can be interpreted as him warging into Ghost then can resurrected by Melisandre.

Stannis mentioned the "fishwife" thing as a joke. Most people think that Jon's parents were Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryan. The only thing point blank mentioned in the books was Ned Dayne saying that it was Wylla some serving girl for house Dayne.

Thanks. I'll have to look up some theories as far as Jon's parentage goes.

Just read that Jojen theory and it makes perfect sense. Didn't pick up on that at the time.

gdt

The Jon's parents thing is more than a theory at this point. It fits perfectly on a re-read.

I'd even say that if R+L=J isn't true, then George pulled some major shit out of his ass to kill or nullify all the clues and buildup to it. Nothing else could possibly fit.

Here's the full, cited theory about Jon's Parentage. It's still blowing my mind, but it fits perfectly. There's no way it's not correct.

http://towerofthehand.com/essays/chrisholden/jon_snows_parents.html

What the fuck.

I've just finished ADWD now (like 10 minutes ago) and I started reading the books back in September. That's on and off reading in the evenings. I don't want to imagine how much of your days were dedicated to the books if you blasted through them all in two weeks.

I read about 100 pages an hour for this kind of stuff. Soooo

5 books = 5000 pages -> 50 hours / 2 weeks -> 25 hours a week / 7 -> 3 hours a day.

It's not that much if you break it down like that.

Most people to think that Jon will be saved/resurrected by Melisandre

Yeah, he needs to be reborn as AA. :p

The Jon's parents thing is more than a theory at this point. It fits perfectly on a re-read.

I'd even say that if R+L=J isn't true, then George pulled some major shit out of his ass to kill or nullify all the clues and buildup to it. Nothing else could possibly fit.
I agree. And it will be sad as fuck if he changes it just because people figured out. IMO if he stays with it, it makes him look more brilliant for planning it all out.

Agreed. I will lose respect for Martin if the revelation is otherwise. The evidence overwhelmingly points to its truth. A story needs its hero. Even one so grounded in reality like ASoIaF. Jon is the perfect candidate given the presentable evidence. Martin forsaking the foreshadowing would be a sellout.

Puddles

Banned
Agreed. I will lose respect for Martin if the revelation is otherwise. The evidence overwhelmingly points to its truth. A story needs its hero. Even one so grounded in reality like ASoIaF. Jon is the perfect candidate given the presentable evidence. Martin forsaking the foreshadowing would be a sellout.

I'd rather have that hero be the son of Ned Stark than some prophesied horseshit. Prophecies pretty much universally suck, and even GRRM is not immune.

raphier

Banned
Speculative stuff, don't know if it needs spoiler tags.

So I was reading an interview with Alfie Allen (who plays Theon in the show, if anyone didn't know), who said:

"You know, I asked him about who Jon Snow's real parents were, and he told me. I can't say who, but I can tell you that it involves a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation.

Link to interview: http://www.vulture.com/2012/06/game-of-thrones-theon-alfie-allen-interview.html?imw=Y

So this seems like a pretty significant 'leak' to me, what does everyone here think? Am I actually trying to make something out of nothing?
very obvious one.
A bit of Luke Skywalker = Jon and Daenerys have same father. The song of Ice = Jon and Fire = Daenerys. Maybe even the Song of Ice and Fire refers to the child Jon altogether.

Arnie

I'd rather have that hero be the son of Ned Stark than some prophesied horseshit. Prophecies pretty much universally suck, and even GRRM is not immune.

I agree. One of the biggest reasons I like Jon so much is because he's the son of Ned Stark. I'd rather see him unite and save the North than become some part of a prophecy, in which he's got to rise to the throne. Let Aegon have the throne and let Jon unify the North. And Dany can just fuck about doing her pointless shit.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I agree. One of the biggest reasons I like Jon so much is because he's the son of Ned Stark. I'd rather see him unite and save the North than become some part of a prophecy, in which he's got to rise to the throne. Let Aegon have the throne and let Jon unify the North. And Dany can just fuck about doing her pointless shit.

Aegon is going to die. Book it.

Arnie

Well I just read the backstory behind the R+L=J shit, and my word, it's a convincing theory. It's almost baffling how I didn't pick up on it during my read through. The only thing that's making me doubt it is just how early GRM was planting the seeds. If it really is true then it's an absolutely mind blowing feat of writing to tease yet conceal something so important to the overall story, something that'll no doubt play a huge role in how these books conclude, some 30+ years after he began writing them.

I can't imagine him sitting down and embedding this twist, to be revealed in 35 years time.

Do you think he had the conclusion to the whole thing mapped out from the beginning? I'm sure he knows now, post the AFFC/ADWD reset; but do you think all this was planned?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Well I just read the backstory behind the R+L=J shit, and my word, it's a convincing theory. It's almost baffling how I didn't pick up on it during my read through. The only thing that's making me doubt it is just how early GRM was planting the seeds. If it really is true then it's an absolutely mind blowing feat of writing to tease yet conceal something so important to the overall story, something that'll no doubt play a huge role in how these books conclude, some 30+ years after he began writing them.

I can't imagine him sitting down and embedding this twist, to be revealed in 35 years time.

Do you think he had the conclusion to the whole thing mapped out from the beginning? I'm sure he knows now, post the AFFC/ADWD reset; but do you think all this was planned?

As with most writers he's had the broad strokes of where the story will go and where it will end for a while now. On the other hand he does not make or keep detailed outlines or anything of the sort. I don't know exactly when he figured that stuff out though.

Lyanna is an important figure in AGOT that comes up a bunch of times in Ned's POVs, this isn't some obscure detail that later becomes important, it's something he would have had to have set up from the beginning. It's not exactly surprising that an author would know who the parents of one of his main characters are either...

And he didn't exactly keep it hidden, most of the clues for it are in AGOT and fans picked up on it quickly. R+L=J was already commonly accepted when I started reading ASOIAF things on the internet (pre ASOS) in like 2000.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hullo!

I just finished the series. Took me, like, 2 weeks of off and on reading.

Wow! I've never read anything quite like it.

Holty shit. So, 'on' was all the hours when you were awake, and 'off' was when you finally passed out of an evening, right??

Each book took me about a month of reading about 2 hours a day...

Acidote

very obvious one.
A bit of Luke Skywalker = Jon and Daenerys have same father. The song of Ice = Jon and Fire = Daenerys. Maybe even the Song of Ice and Fire refers to the child Jon altogether.

There's even one more possibility: Fire = Rhaegar - Ice = Lyanna.

Why are we spoiler tagging in this thread?

There's even one more possibility: Fire = Rhaegar - Ice = Lyanna.

Why are we spoiler tagging in this thread?

While I like to think that the Song of Ice and Fire refers to Jon specifically, I think it also refers to the Starks and Targaryens in general.

Holty shit. So, 'on' was all the hours when you were awake, and 'off' was when you finally passed out of an evening, right??

I read about 100 pages an hour for this kind of stuff. Soooo

5 books = 5000 pages -> 50 hours / 2 weeks -> 25 hours a week / 7 -> 3 hours a day.

It's not that much if you break it down like that.
Tada~

I can't find a picture of this cover after an evening of Googling, anyone here remember this version of AGOT? The first time I read AGOT, it was an American mass-market paperback that had a preprinted special offer price on the front. I'm pretty sure it was 2.99 but I might be wrong. I bought it at Barnes and Noble, because it was cheap and thick. I'd really like an image if anyone has that version or knows where to find a picture.

My original GoT copy was that. It was $4 from B&N I think.

While I like to think that the Song of Ice and Fire refers to Jon specifically, I think it also refers to the Starks and Targaryens in general.

Tada~

I am more on board with Jon Snow having a lot of relevance to The Song of Ice & Fire name. Being raised by Starks as a Stark bastard, but being Lyanna & Rhaegar's son (a hypothesis I completely buy)... And then beyond that, being the Azor Ahai prophecy reborn with the Red Woman (what more of fire), and also his connection to the Night's Watch that stands on a wall of ice.

But, really, I think that there is so much that "Ice & Fire" refers to. Winter & Summer dichotomies, dragons and others, Targaryans and Starks, so much.

Idle though, isn't there a line in one of the books or in Dunk & Egg when one character is talking to another, and she/he says, "And your song will be the song of ice and fire." ?? LIke I feel like someone says that to someone else, like maybe in Dany's visions in the House of the Undying?

Levi

Banned

The first time I read ADWD it was in less than a day. Probably 9 or 10 hours total. Some people read faster than others. I read 107 books last year, and I have a full-time job and other hobbies besides reading.

Veelk

Banned
The first time I read ADWD it was in less than a day. Probably 9 or 10 hours total. Some people read faster than others. I read 107 books last year, and I have a full-time job and other hobbies besides reading.

Seriously, whats your secret. How do you learn to read so fast?

Seriously, whats your secret. How do you learn to read so fast?

Learn how to cut out unimportant words and passages.

For example, in ADWD there was an entire paragraph in a Jon chapter about their food stores. It detailed ALL of it; what kinds of meat they had, how much, where they got it, ect.

I skipped that.

Or you could skim really fast over extraneous details like I do while barely reading. Doing that I finished ADWD in 3 days. If it had been over the weekend I likely would have finished it in 2.

Mordeccai

For example, in ADWD there was an entire paragraph in a Jon chapter about their food stores. It detailed ALL of it; what kinds of meat they had, how much, where they got it, ect.

I skipped that.

I've tried to skip passages like that because the details are in fact useless, but for whatever reason I have a little panic attack when I skip half a page and feel like I'm missing some really important detail somewhere in there.

So I just pour over every word on the page, which I don't mind because I love Martin's writing style.

Iksenpets

Banned

I skipped that.

You'll regret that when it's revealed that, when lacking for obsidian, the others can also be defeated by their extreme allergy to a very specific sort of Dornish bacon.

You'll regret that when it's revealed that, when lacking for obsidian, the others can also be defeated by their extreme allergy to a very specific sort of Dornish bacon.

oh you!

I did make that mistake with some of the prophetic dreams. I apparently missed Jon holding a flaming sword a top the wall.

Puddles

Banned
I did like the part where by her own ruling she no longer has any right to Westeros.

Nah, I actually do like several of Dany's scenes, it's just her character and arc as a whole that are are starting to grow wearisome (I actually posted my thoughts about the Astapor scene a couple weeks ago).

Re: Astapor

- The slave traders all thought she was a naive Westerosi who spoke no Valyrian and would not even be able to speak to the Unsullied without assistance.
- No one ever bought all the Unsullied at once.
- Everyone assumed she would immediately head off for Westeros. Her brother had been talking about this his entire life. No one had any reason to expect that she would have any interest in Slaver's Bay.
- They also assumed she would want to keep the slave trade going in case she needed more soldiers later.
- They were blinded by their greed for one of the only three dragons in the world.

I thought Astapor made perfect sense considering the above points.

cj_iwakura

Rereading ASOS now, and it's like a giant comedy of errors, knowing everything that's about to go down. So much foreshadowing.

It's gonna be painful in the show, because Robb's so much more awesome there.

Puddles

Banned
Since Jeyne Westerling is now Talisa, I guess that means we won't get that awesome AFFC scene where Jaime grills her about whether she's pregnant, and we find out that her mother was secretly giving her some kind of birth-control tea. That scene also had a really touching moment where she refused to give up the crown that Robb had given her. I hope they can find a way to keep that.

ezrarh

Re: Astapor

- The slave traders all thought she was a naive Westerosi who spoke no Valyrian and would not even be able to speak to the Unsullied without assistance.
- No one ever bought all the Unsullied at once.
- Everyone assumed she would immediately head off for Westeros. Her brother had been talking about this his entire life. No one had any reason to expect that she would have any interest in Slaver's Bay.
- They also assumed she would want to keep the slave trade going in case she needed more soldiers later.
- They were blinded by their greed for one of the only three dragons in the world.

I thought Astapor made perfect sense considering the above points.

Good points. People often comment on how Dany is the very Mary Sue but I don't think that scene was that contrived. There wasn't any precedence before this so the slavers aren't going to assume the worst.

Rereading ASOS now, and it's like a giant comedy of errors, knowing everything that's about to go down. So much foreshadowing.

It's gonna be painful in the show, because Robb's so much more awesome there.

Don't worry, they pretty much killed the season 1 awesomeness of Robb over the second half of season 2.

Still one of my favorite characters, but damn if that wasn't upsetting.

Since Jeyne Westerling is now Talisa, I guess that means we won't get that awesome AFFC scene where Jaime grills her about whether she's pregnant, and we find out that her mother was secretly giving her some kind of birth-control tea. That scene also had a really touching moment where she refused to give up the crown that Robb had given her. I hope they can find a way to keep that.

I was just wondering recently if they will have Robb's crown in season 3. I really hope they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom