• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
yacobod said:
i don't think arya is going to be permanently blinded, i think it's probably the next phase of the FM training.

but marking spoilers in this thread would kind of defeat its purpose. why would you enter into a clearly marked spoiler thread before you finished ADwD? that's like asking for trouble. show some restraint man.

So theoretically this thread should to oblivion for a week or 2. Some mental people will go a day or 2 though I assume.

neoanarch

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
So theoretically this thread should to oblivion for a week or 2. Some mental people will go a day or 2 though I assume.

If people want to discuss leaks. Then by all means. Its fantastic that we have a place where discussion isn't ruined by black bars. Besides who here isn't going to finish the book within the first week of release?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I think there should be NO ADWD talk until the day it releases. Then it's all fair game and everyone should just avoid this until they've caught up.

Pollux

Jasconius said:
Totally agree with this. Maybe we could get a mod to change the thread title to something like "A Song of Ice and Fire **Unmarked spoilers for ALL books including ADWD**" so that it's clear to people that don't frequent this thread as well, though.
This is what I was thinking...so far it seems as if people want this to stay unmarked for EVERYTHING, and then we can create a marked ADWD thread....

maybe we could get Cornballer to do an OT? He does such a good job with the TV show threads maybe he would be willing to do a book too....

bengraven

Look, most of us will be nose-deep in the book and won't respond until after we finish Dance. If you post in here before you finish dance, WOE BE TO YOUUUUU.

Basileus777 said:
What about ebook readers?

What I came to ask. I have a Kindle 2 that Dance is being sent to on July 12. Only percentages for me.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
bengraven said:
What I came to ask. I have a Kindle 2 that Dance is being sent to on July 12. Only percentages for me.
My wife got me a kindle for our paper anniversary (sooo happy), so I'll be reading it there as well. I was going to suggest that kindle and international readers post percentages or Page X of Y. People should be able to figure out if they're up to that point.

But after thinking about it a bit, I think I'll probably stay off of any dance threads until I've finished the book (I've taken three days off work for it), so it shouldn't affect me either way.

Deadly

Does the current last book and the books in general end well by itself? As in I probably could go on without reading the next book without the intrigue killing me. Or is it say like Halo 2? I'm thinking of buying the boxset but considering there are 2 more books, I don't want the intrigue to kill me and then I'd just forget about it since the length of time to release each following book seem to take really long (seems like about 5 years between each).

ultron87

Telosfortelos said:
My wife got me a kindle for our paper anniversary (sooo happy), so I'll be reading it there as well. I was going to suggest that kindle and international readers post percentages or Page X of Y. People should be able to figure out if they're up to that point.

But after thinking about it a bit, I think I'll probably stay off of any dance threads until I've finished the book (I've taken three days off work for it), so it shouldn't affect me either way.

This is by far the safest way to do this. I'm avoiding anything even tangentially ASOIF related until I finish it.

Pollux

Deadly said:
Does the current last book and the books in general end well by itself? As in I probably could go on without reading the next book without the intrigue killing me. Or is it say like Halo 2? I'm thinking of buying the boxset but considering there are 2 more books, I don't want the intrigue to kill me and then I'd just forget about it since the length of time to release each following book seem to take really long (seems like about 5 years between each).
You really should read them, they're great books, and yes there aren't many cliffhangers......

bengraven

ultron87 said:
This is by far the safest way to do this. I'm avoiding anything even tangentially ASOIF related until I finish it.

Yep. I'm staying away from certain message boards (not GAF) that are notorious for spoiling books in user-ads and random threads (totally talking about Something Awful).

Pollux

bengraven said:
Yep. I'm staying away from certain message boards (not GAF) that are notorious for spoiling books in user-ads and random threads (totally talking about Something Awful).
Agreed, although I tend to stay away from them anyway. GAF is the only message board I tend to frequent these days.

I'm about to start A Clash of Kings but will have nowhere to discuss it; I can't do it here because people will be posting about the other latter books. So essentially this thread is for those who have finished all the books. Why can't we have a thread for each book, or enforce spoilers in this thread? This isn't fair

jon bones

Deadly said:

Read them and leave this thread until you are finished.

Meus Renaissance said:
I'm about to start A Clash of Kings but will have nowhere to discuss it; I can't do it here because people will be posting about the other latter books. So essentially this thread is for those who have finished all the books. Why can't we have a thread for each book, or enforce spoilers in this thread? This isn't fair

you are insufferable just go read and we'll see you when you're done

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I haven't even read Feast for Crows yet. I deliberately held off until Dance with Dragons was almost out, so I guess I should go pick it up now, hm?

The sad thing is I'm getting spoilered for all this stuff and it doesn't even bother me. I had the Red Wedding ruined for me by NeoGAF (probably karma for spoiling the end of BSG accidentally) and since then the rest of this stuff doesn't even phase me. I don't know if that's good or not, haha.

Anyways, I'm pumped to start the story up again! Wondering if I should start over with the series, though, or at least with Storm of Swords as a lead-in to Feast for Crows. I'll savor every last ZombieCat scene I can get.

suzu

Just finish reading all the books first. Everything has been pretty much discussed to death, and you'll get to jump right in at the same time as everyone if you finish them before ADWD.

--

For those who don't want to reread all the books before ADWD, you can just refresh your memory with the Tower of the Hand site.

"Each book, chapter by chapter, including summaries & related reference points."
http://towerofthehand.com/books/guide.html

zmoney said:
maybe we could get Cornballer to do an OT? He does such a good job with the TV show threads maybe he would be willing to do a book too....
I have my hands full at the moment with a couple of other things I'm working on, so someone else should do it. I'm happy to help out whoever steps up to the plate. Just PM me if you need anything.

Pollux

whytemyke said:
I haven't even read Feast for Crows yet. I deliberately held off until Dance with Dragons was almost out, so I guess I should go pick it up now, hm?

The sad thing is I'm getting spoilered for all this stuff and it doesn't even bother me. I had the Red Wedding ruined for me by NeoGAF (probably karma for spoiling the end of BSG accidentally) and since then the rest of this stuff doesn't even phase me. I don't know if that's good or not, haha.

Anyways, I'm pumped to start the story up again! Wondering if I should start over with the series, though, or at least with Storm of Swords as a lead-in to Feast for Crows. I'll savor every last ZombieCat scene I can get.
I know how you feel, someone spoiled Arya being blinded for me and that Cersei was imprisoned and it didn't matter. For me its more about HOW they got there rather than the end spoiler. If that makes any sense.

ultron87

zmoney said:
I know how you feel, someone spoiled Arya being blinded for me and that Cersei was imprisoned and it didn't matter. For me its more about HOW they got there rather than the end spoiler. If that makes any sense.

I always forget the "blind" thing. It's a such a tiny thing that it is almost assuredly just Martin screwing with us at the end of a chapter like when the Hound axed Arya in the head or Bran and Rickon were dead.

Pollux

ultron87 said:
I always forget the "blind" thing. It's a such a tiny thing that it is almost assuredly just Martin screwing with us at the end of a chapter like when the Hound axed Arya in the head or Bran and Rickon were dead.
I think she's actually blind, but that its just another step in her training. Because before she is blinded she finally gives the TRUE answer to the question about who she is...and its Arya of House Stark...not nobody. Maybe this portion of the training transforms her into nobody.

Or as I always said, they just say they're nobody but still remember who they actually are.

Seeing the new book so close to release has re-energized me to finish my re-read of AFFC. I swear every time I get to a Brienne chapter I groan and stop for a few days/weeks.

jon bones

There was a blind kid in the house of the faceless men earlier in AFFC. He was lighting candles by feeling the heat. It's pretty clearly part of the training.

Pollux

Outdoor Miner said:
Seeing the new book so close to release has re-energized me to finish my re-read of AFFC. I swear every time I get to a Brienne chapter I groan and stop for a few days/weeks.
LOL I skip them during re-reads.

Puddles

Banned
Where will we take ADWD mid-book discussion though? The HBO series thread?

I'd like to be able to discuss ADWD while I'm reading it without getting events late in the book spoiled for me by people who blow through the whole thing in a day (though to be honest, I'll probably be one of the people who blows through it in a day).

There should be a thread where we can discuss ADWD in a format like this:

ADWD 2nd Jon chapter SPOILER:
Jon does something cool.

ultron87

We should probably put DWD spoiler tagged discussion in the HBO (No Book Spoiler) thread just to cause as much drama as possible.

Or we could do it Gaming Side style and have a DWD OT with spoiler tags and leave this thread for no tags.

You are playing with fire if you want to discuss ADWD while reading the book. You'll be done soon enough and then you'll have years to discuss the book while we wait for Winds of Winter. Stay away from ASOIAF discussions until you're done, you'll thank me later.

Pollux

LegendofJoe said:
You are playing with fire if you want to discuss ADWD while reading the book. You'll be done soon enough and then you'll have years to discuss the book while we wait for Winds of Winter. Stay away from ASOIAF discussions until you're done, you'll thank me later.
I would have to agree with this.

jon bones

LegendofJoe said:

my sword is yours

ezrarh

LegendofJoe said:

Seriously. Is it so hard to not discuss the book while we're reading it? Add another vote for free for all. Just don't come into this thread until you have finished the book.

Nolimit_SS said:
So after crying over red wedding come's Joffrey's wedding! OH GOD IM SO FUCKING HAPPY.
Plus Sansa got away! Can't stop reading :D

I felt like Joffrey deserved a worse death. I don't understand why he's so bratty compared to Tommen.

suzu

LetsGoKiting said:
I felt like Joffrey deserved a worse death. I don't understand why he's so bratty compared to Tommen.

I don't think Cersei ever expected Joffrey to die so she probably put all her effort into spoiling him since he's the oldest/heir to the throne. Robert never seemed to care what the kids were up to either.

Pollux

bengraven said:
The death of Joffrey and Tywin was basically the end of Cersei I think.
And what and end it was....God I hope she gets executed in a public humiliating fashion. And I hope Jaime swings the sword.

traveler

Not Wario
suzu said:
I don't think Cersei ever expected Joffrey to die so she probably put all her effort into spoiling him since he's the oldest/heir to the throne. Robert never seemed to care what the kids were up to either.

Isn't it the opposite? The prophecy made her paranoid all those years, fearing that her children's death could come at any minute. It's only natural that she would have feared for Joffrey the most, him being the oldest and next in line for the throne. In wanting to give him all her attention and keep him safe, she overlooked the fact that she was raising a spoiled, self-centered brat.

Finished A Feast for Crows a few days ago. Wow, what a great series. I read these almost back to back for the last few weeks after I watched Game of Thrones and I'm glad I did. My favorite characters (in no order) Arya, Jon, Dany, Davos, Cersei, Tyrion and Jaime. I'd really love if Martin would come back to a few others he's neglected in FfC. And the best thing by far is to get on a forum and find out the next book is coming out in a few months! I'm guessing some folks have been waiting a lot longer, hahaha.

traveler

Not Wario
williamsan said:
Finished A Feast for Crows a few days ago. Wow, what a great series. I read these almost back to back for the last few weeks after I watched Game of Thrones and I'm glad I did. My favorite characters (in no order) Arya, Jon, Dany, Davos, Cersei, Tyrion and Jaime. I'd really love if Martin would come back to a few others he's neglected in FfC. And the best thing by far is to get on a forum and find out the next book is coming out in a few months! I'm guessing some folks have been waiting a lot longer, hahaha.

A few months? It's only three weeks, man!

I, too, am glad for the short wait. I didn't jump onboard the series till last Fall and read through the first four in a week. Winds is where the wait will actually start to hurt.

Pollux

traveler said:
A few months? It's only three weeks, man!

I, too, am glad for the short wait. I didn't jump onboard the series till last Fall and read through the first four in a week. Winds is where the wait will actually start to hurt.
You read the first four in a WEEK? damn son.

Puddles

Banned
Tommen seems like a genuinely nice kid. I was really pissed when Cersei wouldn't let him train with Loras due to her homophobia or whatever. I really doubt Loras was going to go all Catholic priest on little Tommen.

Sucks that Tommen is probably going to die young. He doesn't deserve that at all.

JerkShep

bengraven said:
I'm pretty sure Davos, Brienne, and Loras are all alive.

Loras may die in King's Landing after returning however.

My god, he's going to be out of characters from the first three books at this rate though.

If I have to guess
Loras: alive, but crippled or something along those lines
Brienne: alive, but she won't be a POV anymore. We'll see her again in a Jaime POV probably, with the BWB
Davos: I don't think he'll be killed by Manderly, but he could die in some other fashion before the end of ADWD

Actually, I don't like the fact that GRRM is introducing so many new characters this far in the series. I'm not talking about the Greyjoys (even if four POVs are waaay to much in my opinion), they were introduced early in the series and had time to develop as a faction (not much really, but better than nothing I suppose). And I can understand the Martells having a major role if/when Dany lands. But I think the South part lost some focus in AFFC, there were really too many new characters/small ones that became really important apparently (the new members of the council for example) and it seems the East part is going in the same direction (Golden Company and other new players that I won't mention, who read the released chapters probably understand what I mean).
I'm really looking forward to the North part of the series because I know all the characters playing a role there, I want to see interactions beetwen them and conflicts set up two books ago resolved. I don't really care about the intrigues of Arys Swift, the experiments of Qyburn, what Sarella is doing in Old Town or what is up with this crazy new High Septon. Give me back some good old Sandor, dammit. :D
I think this complexity is really hurting some old characters. It's very difficult to develop good storylines in 3-4 chapters. I mean, Bran had 3 chapters in ASOS and I can understand it with all the shit going on in that book, but he'll probably end up having the same amount in ADWD. Come on, his storyline is basically going nowhere from 1998.

Ok enough with rant and back waiting for the release :D, sorry for the wall of text.
Probably bad written even, english is not my first language :(

Piecake

Puddles said:
Tommen seems like a genuinely nice kid. I was really pissed when Cersei wouldn't let him train with Loras due to her homophobia or whatever. I really doubt Loras was going to go all Catholic priest on little Tommen.

Sucks that Tommen is probably going to die young. He doesn't deserve that at all.

Dont know if you were joking or not, but its pretty clear that Cersei doesnt want anyone around that has any sort of semblance of charisma and power, and Loras has both. She didnt want him to influence his kid and get influence over him that way. She was the one who wanted to completely 'influence' him

Puddles

Banned
Gonaria said:
Dont know if you were joking or not, but its pretty clear that Cersei doesnt want anyone around that has any sort of semblance of charisma and power, and Loras has both. She didnt want him to influence his kid and get influence over him that way. She was the one who wanted to completely 'influence' him

That was definitely part of it, but I thought that the part where she asked Loras whether he had been Renly's squire implied that she was afraid Tommen would "catch teh gay" if Loras were to train him.

Puddles said:
That was definitely part of it, but I thought that the part where she asked Loras whether he had been Renly's squire implied that she was afraid Tommen would "catch teh gay" if Loras were to train him.
Nah, it was 100% about keeping tommen away from the tyrells. Same with her constant efforts to keep him away from margary. And when she talked about who tommen might train with, she chose "a dornishman" becuase of the political aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom