• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this today:

A-Feast-of-Ice-Fire-Official-Game-of-Thrones-Cookbook.jpg

Quite pleased.

Now to find myself some aurochs meat!

flyover

Got this today:

A-Feast-of-Ice-Fire-Official-Game-of-Thrones-Cookbook.jpg

Quite pleased.

Now to find myself some aurochs meat!

It's pretty excellent, isn't it? My wife got it from the library and has decided to suspend her vegetarianism for any recipes in the book. Time for some Beef and Bacon pie.

Regarding Littlefinger dying... He can't. He's the real hero of the books -- or at least he would be if he weren't a (figurative) bastard. Comes from nothing, has no magic or dragons or martial skills, and yet is still a total badass.

Puddles

Banned
I just realized that we are about to get four fucking seasons of Daario on the Game of Thrones tv show. I'm pretty sure he's already been cast for season 3, so we know Dany at least gets to Yunkai.

Now hopefully he won't be too awful in Seasons 3 and 4 (I don't remember him being a huge annoyance in ASOS), but once they're adapting ADWD, we're going to have to tolerate his shit. Unlike the books, you can't just gloss over a scene in a tv show when you're watching it live.

This is really going to suck in two years.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I was instantly depressed when I started reading the epilogue and found out it was from Kevan's point of view.

Since I read all 5 books back to back in a 2 month span one summer it was easy to forget what book I was on so at the time I saw Kevan as a new POV...until :(

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/72284-winds-of-winter-total-war-theory/

While I don't agree with all of his predictions, it's stuff like this that makes me kind of depressed that the overall wars and politics of the series are kind of irrelevant with a giant army of zombies on the horizon. Whoever "wins" the Iron Throne is just going to be depleted right in time for winter and the Others.

I kind of wish the Others either didn't exist or were more of a regional threat (north). Obviously Martin can blow us away with an amazing story focused on the Others but I'd love to see two (or three...) books focused on the second phase of war: from Stannis' campaign in the north to Aegon in the south to Lannister v Tyrells, and Dany arriving in Westeros

The others looming has always been interesting tone wise but I find them way less interesting than basically any other plot line in the series.

I just realized that we are about to get four fucking seasons of Daario on the Game of Thrones tv show. I'm pretty sure he's already been cast for season 3, so we know Dany at least gets to Yunkai.

Now hopefully he won't be too awful in Seasons 3 and 4 (I don't remember him being a huge annoyance in ASOS), but once they're adapting ADWD, we're going to have to tolerate his shit. Unlike the books, you can't just gloss over a scene in a tv show when you're watching it live.

This is really going to suck in two years.
Now you need to factor in all the ways the showrunners will spice up thst relationship. We'll be wishing the richest man in Qarth was still round.

Puddles

Banned
Roose put his sword through Robb's chest and killed him, but Duskendale is what gets you?

Well Duskendale was the beginning of the end. I guess Roose was directly responsible for the end of the end as well, but I associate Walder Frey more with the RW.

I've often imagined a series in which Robb and his men managed to defeat their betrayers at the Twins, with Robb taking an arrow wound, but surviving. His tattered forces would then head north to meet Howland Reed, where they would circle around and take back Moat Cailin. Tywin, overconfident and overhasty after gaining the Tyrell alliance, would launch a direct assault on the North and get completely crushed.

I know that would be more of a standard, cliched fantasy plot-line, but I'd love to travel to an alternate universe where that series existed.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Well Duskendale was the beginning of the end. I guess Roose was directly responsible for the end of the end as well, but I associate Walder Frey more with the RW.

I've often imagined a series in which Robb and his men managed to defeat their betrayers at the Twins, with Robb taking an arrow wound, but surviving. His tattered forces would then head north to meet Howland Reed, where they would circle around and take back Moat Cailin. Tywin, overconfident and overhasty after gaining the Tyrell alliance, would launch a direct assault on the North and get completely crushed.

I know that would be more of a standard, cliched fantasy plot-line, but I'd love to travel to an alternate universe where that series existed.

The same series where Ned is spirited away from the Red Keep moments before his execution thanks to a "mysterious benefactor", after which he is shipped to Eastwatch By the Sea, eventually reuniting with Jon on the Wall and helping lead the expedition to find Benjen and learn all the secrets of how to stop the WW's?

The same series where Ned is spirited away from the Red Keep moments before his execution thanks to a "mysterious benefactor", after which he is shipped to Eastwatch By the Sea, eventually reuniting with Jon on the Wall and helping lead the expedition to find Benjen and learn all the secrets of how to stop the WW's?
Isn't this exactly what happened with Aegon? You need to go farther if you want to present an impossible scenario!

GRRM thinks it will be released in 2014. Bare in mind he claimed in 2005 Dance with Dragons would be released in 2006 and it took another five years.

Writing

These worldbook "sidebars" are all threatening to turn into novellas.

Sure hope you guys and gals like fake history.
http://grrm.livejournal.com/288788.html

Sounds like he's working on the Elio & Linda book, although I'm curious whether he could be referring to the map book as well; I'd imagine that book will include descriptions/history of locations

I can't wait for the Elio & Linda world book, everything hinted and teased at thus far sounds amazing.

Just a question that came to mind out of the blue:

Does the Kingdom of Westeros need to unite in order to fight the incoming threat of the White Walkers?

Is the White Walker threat a bigger issue than the current quarrels of the Seven Kingdoms?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Just a question that came to mind out of the blue:

Does the Kingdom of Westeros need to unite in order to fight the incoming threat of the White Walkers?

Is the White Walker threat a bigger issue than the current quarrels of the Seven Kingdoms?

With thousands of freefolk from beyond the Wall already slaughtered and turned into Wights, an unknown amount of White Walkers and a (possible) huge amount of undead creatures (bears, wolves, etc) - yes, Westeros is completely fucked if it doesn't focus all resources on this. It's exactly what GRRM teases about (I think) when he said the series will end with a cloud of snow or ashes.

With thousands of freefolk from beyond the Wall already slaughtered and turned into Wights, an unknown amount of White Walkers and a (possible) huge amount of undead creatures (bears, wolves, etc) - yes, Westeros is completely fucked if it doesn't focus all resources on this. It's exactly what GRRM teases about (I think) when he said the series will end with a cloud of snow or ashes.

I see, its just hard to imagine GRRM writing the whole lot in just two books (Winds of Winder and A Dream of Spring) even if he tries to split the books in two like Storm of Swords. The scale of it, its enormous. Battles, characters, events and whatnot

I was hoping he couldn't just stop at A Dream of Spring even though he hasn't really confirmed it, maybe just another two more books to end ASOIF.
Please

Really hyped for TWOW even though its early :D

Jon Snow is going to become king and then do an aragorn speech like in return of the king and they'll all win in the end.

Everyone smiles and lives a happy life.

pr0cs

Jon Snow is going to become king and then do an aragorn speech like in return of the king and they'll all win in the end.

Everyone smiles and lives a happy life.

we are talking GRRM aren't we?

I bought the Dunk and Egg stories for Kindle and Google play (two different platforms to try and save a few bucks). Man they're great stories and a reminder at how far away TWOW feels like. :(

gdt

Cersei's chapters are so good. She's an insanely evil and delusional character. No grey to her at all haha.

I never get the Cersei hate in AFFC. Her chapters are amazing, and in hindsight are even more interesting now that ADWD is out. Both books, which at one time were one, feature a lot of thematic focus on leadership. In both books we're presented with the reign of Cersei, Jon Snow, and Dany - and each of which fails to varying degrees.

tmdorsey

I never get the Cersei hate in AFFC. Her chapters are amazing, and in hindsight are even more interesting now that ADWD is out. Both books, which at one time were one, feature a lot of thematic focus on leadership. In both books we're presented with the reign of Cersei, Jon Snow, and Dany - and each of which fails to varying degrees.

Her chapters were interesting in the sense that it was like watching a trainwreck being able to read her thoughts and see first hand what a terrible "ruler" she was.

Veelk

Banned
It's a startling contrast really. Dany ruined things because she was too generous and kindhearted while Cersei was too cold and self serving.

Massa

It's a startling contrast really. Dany ruined things because she was too generous and kindhearted while Cersei was too cold and self serving.

The good rulers are supposed to die so the two at least have that going for them, they both suck.

Veelk

Banned
The good rulers are supposed to die so the two at least have that going for them, they both suck.

They didn't fair much better. Cersei had to do the walk of shame and she's never going to rule again. Dany was all but kicked out of the city.

I don't think Dany was too generous, per se. She essentially crash landed into a completely new society/culture and refused to respect or acknowledge many of their laws. Banning slavery made sense from a moral perspective, but was carried out so idealistically that it became a bloody mess to implement. Similarly she refused to re-open the fighting pits for no decent reason, which earned her even more resentment.

In terms of Jon, he willingly surrounded himself with dissenters by sending all his friends away, and didn't seem to articulate his Wildling plan well enough. And of course he blatantly broke his vows towards the end, which was the final straw.

Cersei simply ruined everything she touched. She seemed somewhat competent in the first three books, at least to a certain degree (lol), yet completely lost it after Joffery's death. I don't believe the ACOK/early ASOS Cersei would have let Taena Merryweather get so close to her for instance, given her Tyrell connections. Interestingly we won't know just how much Cersei fucked up for awhile. Was Dragonstone really taken? Where did Waters take her newly built fleet? Will Merryweather come forward as a witness during the upcoming trials? etc. She is sooo boned lol

Veelk

Banned
I don't think Dany was too generous, per se. She essentially crash landed into a completely new society/culture and refused to respect or acknowledge many of their laws. Banning slavery made sense from a moral perspective, but was carried out so idealistically that it became a bloody mess to implement. Similarly she refused to re-open the fighting pits for no decent reason, which earned her even more resentment.

The fighting pits are backed by the same moral logic that she had in banning slavery: They were basically making people fight to the death for entertainment. Even if some were willing, I'm guessing many were not or had to resort to it through desperation.

In terms of Jon, he willingly surrounded himself with dissenters by sending all his friends away, and didn't seem to articulate his Wildling plan well enough. And of course he blatantly broke his vows towards the end, which was the final straw.

This wasn't actually dumb. The alternative was to send them away to other castles, where they could disobey him at their leisure. He needed people who'd listen to man those walls. His problem, in my opinion, is that he followed Ned's advice and stopped being a friend to his people, so they began to view him coldly. We know he respected Bowen because we're in his head, but Bowen just thought he was an asshole through and through. And remember that the main reason he failed is because he could not convince the watch to not be racist towards the Wildlings.

Cersei simply ruined everything she touched. She seemed somewhat competent in the first three books, at least to a certain degree (lol), yet completely lost it after Joffery's death. I don't believe the ACOK/early ASOS Cersei would have let Taena Merryweather get so close to her for instance, given her Tyrell connections. Interestingly we won't know just how much Cersei fucked up for awhile. Was Dragonstone really taken? Where did Waters take her newly built fleet? Will Merryweather come forward as a witness during the upcoming trials? etc. She is sooo boned lol

Yeah, Cersei sucked beyond all hope.

bluemax

Banned

Yeah Cersei in AFFC is sort of, I dunno, frustrating? Like I read her chapters and I go, what was her end game when she conspired to kill Robert? Was it simply to raise Joffrey to king?

It felt like she had all these plans and schemes and then we get to book 4 and suddenly she's just mind bogglingly incompetent.

Veelk

Banned
Keep in mind that Cersei's delusions went deep. Even if she seemed passingly competent before AFFC, she thought that Joffrey was a perfectly reasonable boy. "Robert beat him over some silliness with a cat." she said spitefully at one time. That 'silliness' was him cutting open the stomach of a pregnant cat and taking out the fetus' to show Robert.

Maggie the Frog was an awful plot device, and the way GRRM handled all of that was very clumsy.

ZeroRay

I think the difference between Cersei in the first three books compared with the later two can be attributed to a combination of grief, arrogance, the opportunity to finally rule without opposition, and the fact that the main players (Varys, Littlefinger) weren't directly working against her during Robert's/Joffrey's reign.

Nlroh

I think the difference between Cersei in the first three books compared with the later two can be attributed to a combination of grief, arrogance, the opportunity to finally rule without opposition, and the fact that the main players (Varys, Littlefinger) weren't directly working against her during Robert's/Joffrey's reign.

We should also consider that her son and father died.

Veelk

Banned
Maggie the Frog was an awful plot device, and the way GRRM handled all of that was very clumsy.

I liked it if for no other reason than that it added another dimension to Cersei, though it possibly removed the last shred of her humanity.

She loved her children. That was her only positive quality. Now you find out about the prophecy and it's possible to interpret that the only reason she cares for them is because her well being depends on theirs. If they die, then she dies, so she wants to protect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom