• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...did GRRM ever say that the faceless men can't kill anyone they know ? For all we know this could just be something they want others to think.

Others within their own secret sanctum? Remember, arya is in, serving drinks to actual faceless men, and they are clearly talking about whether they know this man or that man.

I've never understood these "arya will have to kill (insert jon, sansa, nymeria, etc)" theories.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
So J'aquen didn't have anything to worry about when Arya told him to kill himself, and was just acting out of the goodness of his own heart?

unless no man truly know himself... hmmm...

So J'aquen didn't have anything to worry about when Arya told him to kill himself, and was just acting out of the goodness of his own heart?

unless no man truly know himself... hmmm...

He had sworn to kill who she said by his most sacred principles. I don't think it's comparable to a rule to not accept a contract on someone you know, but who knows.

Yes, they're talking about it while Arya is around, but it could just be for show. If the whole "We can't kill anyone we know" is just a lie, they certainly wouldn't reveal it to someone who's still an apprentice and only has been around for a short time (and could easily run away/tell other people what she learned).

I must admit though it sounds a bit too much like some conspiracy theory, but until we learn as to why they can't kill someone they know it's still (theoretically) possible.

that just makes no sense, unless you start with the totally unsupported idea that arya must be destined to kill someone she knows, and so while 99% of what they are doing in her training is real, that tiny piece is all a fake part of the picture, just to set up a plot device that is totally unsupported....

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed. Everyone really REALLY wants Arya to kill Jon (I guess because GRRM took extra time to establish their relationship early on).

I'm thinking, if she kills anyone at all, it's going to be either Stannis, Dany, or Aegon.

gdt

I'd be heart broken if Arya follows all the way through and totally disowns her past/family. That's some rough shit.

She didn't throw needle away. Believe.

do people really think arya is going to completely become a faceless man? my impression was she is getting the training so she can collect needle and return to westeros to destroy the remaining enemies on her list. i find it hard to believe she will kill jon.

granted there are a lot of posters on this board and elsewhere who know the books much better than i do.

not sure if this was posted already

http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2012/09/09-next-dunk-and-egg-in-may-2013/index.html

According to Locus magazine, we can expect to see more Dunk and Egg in May 2013. The fourth Dunk and Egg tale will continue the adventures of a hedge knight and his squire as they encounter the She-Wolves of Winterfell, decades before the events of A Song of Ice and Fire. George R. R. Martin recently reported that the novella has yet to be finished (or titled), but it will be part of next year's Dangerous Women, a new anthology featuring works from several authors and edited by GRRM and Gardner Dozois. [via The Wertzone]

Can't wait for this

Pkaz01

I think Arya will be asked to kill Lady Stoneheart. It will be a test to see if she is still holding on to Arya Stark and will fulfill the whole "All men must die" thing.
i really dont think we read all this about her character for her to just end up killing lady stoneheart. she has to have a much larger role than that considering she hasnt really had a big impact on the story, is one of GRRMs favorite characters, and she has been in every book. nah she is going to do something really big especially if she ends up dead at the end of the series like some ppl think she will. i personally think she is going to take out the leader of the others.

and theres no way she sticks around with the faceless men long enough to forsake her past/family. theres multiple times where its hinted she is only there because she has no one else. i dont know how she can get out at this point but they might take her out at the end of the last book to make it bittersweet

Why would arya be killing stoneheart other than the "omg wouldn't it be cool" factor? Who is going to hire a faceless man to kill her, walder frey?

Necrovex

Same with Jon, when he comes back and looks all different because Melisandre changed what he looks like or some shit, like Mance/Bonesey.
She's gonna kill Jon thinking it was someone else, and be all "awwww shiiiiiiit"

Is "she" supposed to be Melinsandre or Stoneheart? If it's the latter, she won't care; she hated Jon when she was alive.

hemtae

i really dont think we read all this about her character for her to just end up killing lady stoneheart. she has to have a much larger role than that considering she hasnt really had a big impact on the story, is one of GRRMs favorite characters, and she has been in every book. nah she is going to do something really big especially if she ends up dead at the end of the series like some ppl think she will. i personally think she is going to take out the leader of the others.

and theres no way she sticks around with the faceless men long enough to forsake her past/family. theres multiple times where its hinted she is only there because she has no one else. i dont know how she can get out at this point but they might take her out at the end of the last book to make it bittersweet

Well I didn't say killing Lady Stoneheart would be the end of her story. Obviously there's other things that need resolution like a reunion with Nymeria, Sansa, and Jon plus her list needs finishing. I don't know how it'll end for her but the foreshadowing people do make a convincing case and I hate them for it.

hemtae

Why would arya be killing stoneheart other than the "omg wouldn't it be cool" factor? Who is going to hire a faceless man to kill her, walder frey?

If it does happen, I think they will take it upon themselves to do it because of their devotion to The Many-Faced God and the Valar Morghulis principle.

Is "she" supposed to be Melinsandre or Stoneheart? If it's the latter, she won't care; she hated Jon when she was alive.

The "she" he is referring to is Arya.

Pkaz01

Well I didn't say killing Lady Stoneheart would be the end of her story. Obviously there's other things that need resolution like a reunion with Nymeria, Sansa, and Jon plus her list needs finishing. I don't know how it'll end for her but the foreshadowing people do make a convincing case and I hate them for it.
yea i wouldnt mind if that was just on the way but i cant imagine her doing it because the fm tell her too. shed probably so it so cat would be at peace. i think dealing with uncat is going to be left up to brienne and jaimie though she isnt going to be alive for long enough for arya to get to her. same with cersei there is too much foreshadowing for her dying to jaimie

im sure she is going to reunite with nymeria and her family at some point but that doesnt really impact the outcome especially compared to the other major characters or even her siblings

Tuck

Everyone keeps saying Arya will kill all these people she knows. I thought the faceless men can't kill anyone they know. Wasn't that why all those men on the boat she took to Bravvos kept saying their name to her?

:O Wow thats a nice little touch.

Sending a faceless man to kill Lady Stoneheart would be a) a waste of money, and b) a waste of time, as Thoros would just resurrect her.

No one cares enough about the Brotherhood to spend that kind of money (or surrender a valued possession/child).

Of the people who want Jon Snow dead, none have anything of worth to have him assassinated.

I think Arya will eventually be sent against Dany. Dany has a soft spot for the young, she would let her get close.

hemtae

Sending a faceless man to kill Lady Stoneheart would be a) a waste of money, and b) a waste of time, as Thoros would just resurrect her.

No one cares enough about the Brotherhood to spend that kind of money (or surrender a valued possession/child).

Eh. I doubt Thoros would do anything for her seeing as how he didn't want to in the first place and didn't seem too happy with the direction the Brotherhood was going under Lady Stoneheart.

rando14

Everyone keeps saying Arya will kill all these people she knows. I thought the faceless men can't kill anyone they know. Wasn't that why all those men on the boat she took to Bravvos kept saying their name to her?

But Jaqen knew the names of those he killed beforehand right?

Pkaz01

But Jaqen knew the names of those he killed beforehand right?
i dont think it would even matter because they werent hits assigned to him by the facelese men he just owed arya and was paying his debt.

i do find it interesting as to who actually runs the faceless men and how many of them know arya is involved

tmdorsey

Arya isn't saying her "prayers" every night for nothing. Anybody on her list who is alive is going to get it. My guess is Cersei. If she gets contracted to kill Jon no way she follows through with it.

Randdalf

I'm going to guess the Iron Bank puts a contract out on Cersei for never paying them back. That will be Arya's ticket back.

Yeah, but she knows Cersei doesn't she? If anything, Cersei will do a Tyrion after losing her trial.

I could see her being sent to kill somebody in the Red Keep, or wherever one of the targets on her list is, and running into one of those targets and killing them (thus betraying the Faceless Men?)

Massa

This is GRRM, if anything this is guaranteed to not be true.

tumblr_lrt3bzoEdP1qcf003.jpg

Pkaz01

The chances of Arya killing Cersei are pretty low especially if its the FM sending her. She knows her they know about her list and who is on it and there is the whole valonqar prophecy about Cersei dying to either tyrion or jaimie after losing her kids.

Plus really this is how I see it by the end of the book

Jon - AA reborn, becomes king, fights others

Bran - Bloodravens successor, all knowing and extremely powerful godlike status

Sansa - Learns from littlefinger becomes one of the best at the game rules over the vale and/or riverlands

Rickon - Lord of Winterfell (he isnt a major character anyway)

Tyrion - takes over casterly rock and or becomes dany's hand, maybe becomes a dragon rider

Dany - helps fight others might be jons queen

Arya - runs around in the riverlands for the first half of the series, becomes one of the best killers in the world and ends up killing Cersei who is already out of power and about to lose to Dany or Aegon or Jon anyway, or she kills some Freys and boltons who are in the same situation.

Nah she has to have a bigger end game

Pkaz01

I could see her being sent to kill somebody in the Red Keep, or wherever one of the targets on her list is, and running into one of those targets and killing them (thus betraying the Faceless Men?)

It doesnt seem like she gives a shit at all about the faceless men and how they do things. She is cheating through training and not buying into any of their teachings. She is just there cause she has no one else and she wants to know their secrets.

Violater

Ok, she might not get all of the people, but I think she at least gets one person and I hope that one person is Cersei.

My dream is to for Cersei to run into Arya riding on top of Nymeria.

My wish is that someone gets the rights to write a spinoff series on this and just this

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The chances of Arya killing Cersei are pretty low especially if its the FM sending her. She knows her they know about her list and who is on it and there is the whole valonqar prophecy about Cersei dying to either tyrion or jaimie after losing her kids.

Sansa - Learns from littlefinger becomes one of the best at the game rules over the vale and/or riverlands

Tyrion - takes over casterly rock and or becomes dany's hand, maybe becomes a dragon rider

Arya - runs around in the riverlands for the first half of the series, becomes one of the best killers in the world and ends up killing Cersei who is already out of power and about to lose to Dany or Aegon or Jon anyway, or she kills some Freys and boltons who are in the same situation.

Which series have you been reading?

No way GRRM allows such a happily tied-together ending with a high degree of fanservice. At least 2-3 of those characters is going to die a pointless death before the end.

Enosh

if this happens I'll buy all the books just so i can burn them
to hell with dany and the imp

hemtae

Ya know, I was almost thinking that Tyrion might turn out to be a Dragon...there was that whole bit about the Mad King lusting after his mom, and that was the reason Tywin removed her from court. Likely a dumb idea, but does anyone know if the timelines match up?

That theory has been tossed about the Internet for a while now. No idea about the time line but Tyrion's obsession with fire and dragons have been offered as evidence. Plus his dwarfism could be explained by how fucked up the Targaryans are.

Pkaz01

No way GRRM allows such a happily tied-together ending with a high degree of fanservice. At least 2-3 of those characters is going to die a pointless death before the end.

I can't predict what GRRM will do to troll the shit out of everyone. But those are just my most likely to happen without some insane out of no where shit things from GRRM. and out of all the characters Arya is the one who has no structured end game even set up for her.

this all sounds way too neat and happy as an ending.

basically this.

though i really would like to see some of those things happen, even if they arent the end of the story for those characters. like jon is probably going to fight others, sansa is going to be able to play the game, etc. just doesnt mean that by the end everything is that clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom