• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not even know what that was before I read your post unfortunately.

They're awesome, Dunk is a great character. There are a few awesome connections between Dunk & Egg (the characters) and the characters/events in the main books. You also get to learn more about the background of a certain character revelation in ADWD. They're only available in collections of fantasy novellas by various authors right now, but a D&E collection is supposed to be coming out at some point.

Iksenpets

Banned
This is the most likely, there aren't too many people left in the world who could prove that he's not a real Targ, although when he first meets the dragons (If that happens) it could be an interesting encounter, I can imagine him thinking that he'll be safe because of his Targ blood but the Dragons killing him because he isn't a real one despite him not knowing!!

I like the idea of him getting nonchalantly eaten by the dragons. Fits with the idea of Dany being the "slayer of lies". She's got to be the one to disprove his heritage.

bengraven

I'd be willing to bet money that Aegon will die and we'll never find out if he was legitimate or not. That's just how Martin rolls.

Oh I think "we" will.

GRRM seems pleased to give us the facts and truths, just never to share them with the characters. WE know who Jon's mom is, or where Arya is, or where certain characters died or who betrayed who, but the characters never do.

Violater

Oh I think "we" will.

GRRM seems pleased to give us the facts and truths, just never to share them with the characters. WE know who Jon's mom is, or where Arya is, or where certain characters died or who betrayed who, but the characters never do.
Wait what? Who?

Violater

He's probably referring to the Rhaegar+Lyanna Stark theory.

Sigh...
Too many loose ends and sub-plots.
Anyway, I predict that neither Dany nor her dragons will ever set foot in Westeros.
Bran becomes a tree.
Arya forgets who she is.
Jamie Kills Brienne
Rikkon strangles Cersi
Tyrion never finds out where whores go
Jon dies and goes into ghost only to be humped my sixskins.
And everyone else can just get buggerd for all I care /madrant

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Oh I think "we" will.

Well the Jon thing is an inference on our part. What I'm saying is that Martin likely won't say directly who Aegon really is. He might, but I think it's more likely he does his usual "here's some vague hints, figure it out suckers" thing.

Nlroh

does the red wedding make sense without the lannister westerling connection?

The broken Frey pact had nothing to do with the Lannisters, and Tywin still wants to kill Robb because he's the king in the north. I don't think the Westerling thing was something that determined the outcome of the RW.

The broken Frey pact had nothing to do with the Lannisters, and Tywin still wants to kill Robb because he's the king in the north. I don't think the Westerling thing was something that determined the outcome of the RW.

its just a less impressive conspiracy this way. i sorta got the impression there were machinations on the part of tywin that encouraged the westerlings to put jeyne and robb together.

i understand frey would have been pissed regardless of whether the lannisters were involved or not, but it just seems much neater with tywin in on the thing early on and having the freys set up the red wedding. also im not convinced frey stays loyal to robb whether he marries jeyne or shows up at the twinis single.

Wh0 N0se

its just a less impressive conspiracy this way. i sorta got the impression there were machinations on the part of tywin that encouraged the westerlings to put jeyne and robb together.

i understand frey would have been pissed regardless of whether the lannisters were involved or not, but it just seems much neater with tywin in on the thing early on and having the freys set up the red wedding. also im not convinced frey stays loyal to robb whether he marries jeyne or shows up at the twinis single.

Plus it kinda gets rid of all those 'Jeyne Westerling is pregnant' theories if GRRM has allowed that charatcer to not be in the show, I'm not saying it's definite that she's not pregnant but I'd be very surprised if she is.

Plus it kinda gets rid of all those 'Jeyne Westerling is pregnant' theories if GRRM has allowed that charatcer to not be in the show, I'm not saying it's definite that she's not pregnant but I'd be very surprised if she is.

GRRM was the one that suggested the change the character name, so I doubt it's a conflict down the road for the series.

I doubt the Jeyne pregnancy theory is right, the Stark/North line of succession is already complex enough without through an unborn child into the mix.

At some point it's mentioned that Robb was supposed to be killed by a loose arrow in battle. I think they were going to turn on him regardless, but if he hadn't married Jeyne they would certainly have waited for him to marry a Frey girl and get her pregnant. Robb pretty much lost the war in ACOK with the Duskendale slaughter and Edmure fucking up, plus pissed Walder off so much he decided to speed up the plan

If he hadn't died at the RW, I'd imagine he might have been pushed to chose a bride at his uncle's wedding; all the Frey girls were there afterall. After choose one and after Edmure's wedding he planned to march back to Winterfell. He would have easilly retaken the castle, killed Theon etc...then marched back south with more men perhaps, go back to the Twins and get married, then continue the war I'm guessing; I don't remember what his plan was after retaking Winterfell

Aiii

So not worth it
At some point it's mentioned that Robb was supposed to be killed by a loose arrow in battle. I think they were going to turn on him regardless, but if he hadn't married Jeyne they would certainly have waited for him to marry a Frey girl and get her pregnant. Robb pretty much lost the war in ACOK with the Duskendale slaughter and Edmure fucking up, plus pissed Walder off so much he decided to speed up the plan

If he hadn't died at the RW, I'd imagine he might have been pushed to chose a bride at his uncle's wedding; all the Frey girls were there afterall. After choose one and after Edmure's wedding he planned to march back to Winterfell. He would have easilly retaken the castle, killed Theon etc...then marched back south with more men perhaps, go back to the Twins and get married, then continue the war I'm guessing; I don't remember what his plan was after retaking Winterfell

You forget that Edmure's wedding only happened because of Robb breaking his oath.

Wh0 N0se

Goddamn, I hate Walder Frey, just thinking of all those ways in which he would have killed Robb anyway.

I really hope they get their comeuppance. The Boltons a well.

gdt

God, Theon is the best part of Dragons.

"He had known the miller's wife for years, had even bedded her. Big heavy breasts with wide dark nipples, a sweet mouth, a merry laugh. Joys that I will never taste again.

Which, to me, confirms that Ramsay castrated him :/.

And Robb, Robb who had been more a brother to Theon than any son born of Balon Greyjoy's loins. Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him."

Man, Theon made a lot of mistakes. But I want him to atone so bad.

There's also a line in this chapter (the first titled as "Theon") where he says that he thinks of himself as Theon because he heard the old gods (probably Bran) call him that in the godswood. Loved that.

Altazor

And Robb, Robb who had been more a brother to Theon than any son born of Balon Greyjoy's loins. Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him."

that part hit me so hard when I read it.

I want the North to rise again, dammit :'(

Theon's arc in Dance was killer. I had always been a Theon fan (and saw him a tragic character even back when I first read Clash), but Dance really cemented that.

The scene where Theon and Asha reunite is up there with "The North Remembers" as my two favorite scenes from the book. I get misty eyed just thinking about it. "You have to remember your name"

Still Writing

There must be something about the words "dance" and "dragons."

We all know how long the last novel took. And now I am writing the "sidebar" (hoo hah) about the first Dance of the Dragons, the fratricidal civil war between King Aegon II and his half-sister Rhaenyra, for THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE, and it's turned into a monster too.

As of today, I have a hundred and three bloody manuscript pages (some VERY bloody) and still no end at hand. I had hoped to finish this one today, but... no, not even close. Lots more to write.

I think there's some good stuff here, and judging by the reception my reading got at Chicon, most of you seem to like the fake history too. But DAMN, there a lot of it.

Nothing to do but keep doing.

Dance, you dragons, dance, dance...
http://grrm.livejournal.com/291766.html

Sounds amazing. 103 MS pages for one story...jesus, how big will this book be?

I get the feeling that GRRM enjoys writing ASOIAF history in large part because he doesn't have to juggle a thousand different plot threads and all the continuity and timeline issues each one brings. It's good to see he's still passionate enough about the series to write this kind of stuff anyway.

I get the feeling that GRRM enjoys writing ASOIAF history in large part because he doesn't have to juggle a thousand different plot threads and all the continuity and timeline issues each one brings. It's good to see he's still passionate enough about the series to write this kind of stuff anyway.

Agreed. I think you can tell he also seems to enjoy writing certain aspects of the later novels. In ADWD the north chapters flow significantly better than the eastern stuff, where Martin had to wrestle with all the plot mechanics and brick walls.

Pkaz01

I think writing about the history gets him motivated to write the rest of the series and creates more ideas for him to finish off the series. I would prefer he finishes the books but I can understand that he wants to write something less complicated and stressful to get his mind off things.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I'm looking forward to the history book.

Hopefully it fleshes out Essos a bit more. At the moment Essos is, well, shit.

Wh0 N0se

Well he has said that he might write some more ASOIAF stories when the main story is finished, so that bodes well, he obviously doesn't hate the series like some authors do when the story takes years to write.

This World of Ice and Fire book is going to be amazing
as long as he doesn't write about Littlefingers interest in Aegon II's trade policy (Unless it's interesting)

gdt

I'd rather he save the history for afterwards :/.

Fuck man he'll never beat the show, and we'll end up with a nightmare scenario.

I'm looking forward to the history book.

Hopefully it fleshes out Essos a bit more. At the moment Essos is, well, shit.

That would be nice, because I fucking hate last things Essos related. Braavos gets a pass though.

I'd rather he save the history for afterwards :/.

Fuck man he'll never beat the show, and we'll end up with a nightmare scenario.

Yeah there's no chance he can keep up. Maybe the show will deviate so much from the books that the ending will be completely different. I don't want to know the end of the series from the show, but if it comes to that I'll have. Or avoid the Internet for the 10 years or so it will take him to get it out.

Different stokes.

I like Essos stuff because it's more varied than Westeros in culture and history. Some of the stuff happening there is dull, but the world itself is not.

Yep, I'll never understand how people hated Dance, I mean as usual Dany's stuff was a lot of fluff but the Theon/Reek chapters were worth the price of admission IMO.

I loved Dance. Theon's arc was great, and frankly so was Dany's(/Barristan's) once it got going. I mean, she rode a fucking dragon.

Wh0 N0se

Theons story is my favourite story in ADWD by a mile, I don't mind Danys at the start and the end but the middle just drags in my opinion, mostly just repetition of whats happened in the previous chapters.

It doesn't really help that I don't really like Meereen.

CassSept

I loved Dance. Theon's arc was great, and frankly so was Dany's(/Barristan's) once it got going. I mean, she rode a fucking dragon.

Barristan's ok, the only interesting things that happened in Meereen were during Dany's absence.

I mean ok, she rode a dragon. But after that we got a whole chapter of her having diarrhea. Which I'm pretty sure is some kind of GRRM's hidden commentary on her arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom