• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Robb presented as the character in the show? I was more surprised by Catelyn's death than his when the Red Wedding happened since he wasn't present for a lot of the action in the novels.

It'd be pretty great if they were building him up as the main protagonist in the show after Ned's death.

what is this red wedding you speak of?

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't think Sansa's capable of that, not yet

Baelish is a master of his own craft and probably this skill of his took a while for him to develop. And besides both has different upbringings. Sansa born to a high lord and Baelish had to work his way up the ladder

The only way Sansa can outmaneurver Baelish is if he lets his guard down even for a moment

Not yet is the keyword in your comment, I love Sansa's journey as she grows up and wisens up more and more. The end goal of her journey would be to become a proper version of what Cersei imagines she is. A woman in charge, well skilled at playing the game and loved as a queen. (Sansa needs to end up a queen in my book, even if it isn't of the realm, but rather of the North or something).

Regardless, I'd love for Sansa to outsmart everyone and come out on top in the end.

Here is a hint for you:
http://www.list.co.uk/event/235932-the-black-dinner/

Though I do find it interesting how many people out there who are very into this show are going into season 3 near clueless of what is going to happen. Last I checked the internet weren't very classy with spoilers.

I'm looking forward to Facebook the day the Red Wedding episode airs.

I heard rumors that they aren't actually going to kill Catelyn, she'll just become Stoneheart because she wants revenge. I hope they don't cop out.

Aiii

So not worth it
Here is a hint for you: [edited]

Though I do find it interesting how many people out there who are very into this show are going into season 3 near clueless of what is going to happen. Last I checked the internet weren't very classy with spoilers.

Why would you post this link? I know the guy came into an unmarked spoiler thread, but we all know he's gonna have that much more fun if he goes in completely blank.

Dysun

The only character that those vague titles worked well for was Theon. (And Sansa if you count Alayne)

JonCon, Barristan, Vic, Damphair, Areo, Quentyn, and Arianne aren't up to par

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The titles in book 4 used to indicate the character is a bit of an offshoot, that you likely will only get a few chapters in that characters PoV. Though ADWD sort of threw that out, when they gave characters like Selmy, Asha, and Quentyn nothing but titles, despite having 3/4 chapters each.

I do think the fact that Melisandre chapter is titled with her name rather then a title indicates she will be a major PoV in the next book.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, what do you guys think the chances of Varys making one of Robert's Bastards try and make a claim to the throne to put the realm in even more chaos?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm looking forward to Facebook the day the Red Wedding episode airs.

I heard rumors that they aren't actually going to kill Catelyn, she'll just become Stoneheart because she wants revenge. I hope they don't cop out.

Where did you read that? Shit that would be terrible. The episode needs to end with the blade going through her neck from the back.

hemtae

I do kind of wonder if Robert's bastards are going to play a bigger role in the story because apparently not even Varys knows all of them.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't see anyone buy Gendry or Edric Storm making an impact in the rest of the story.

Mya has no claim at all being female, so that's very unlikely. Unknown bastards make no sense at all given we're at the second to last book now.

Who is the oldest out of Gendry/Edric btw? I'm assuming Gendry has seniority.

Trojita

Oh god I just typed in Blackfyr instead of Blackfyre into Google, and one of the search results was a tumblr page with this description:

"Documenting my slow (but steady) descent into insanity. Aspiring chef, fedora fetishsist, and Mass Effect enthusiast with a lingering love for Dragon Age."

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't see anyone buy Gendry or Edric Storm making an impact in the rest of the story.

Mya has no claim at all being female, so that's very unlikely. Unknown bastards make no sense at all given we're at the second to last book now.

Who is the oldest out of Gendry/Edric btw? I'm assuming Gendry has seniority.

Gendry is the older of the two, but Mya is the oldest of all his kids.

Trojita

It doesn't matter if they are bastards or not as long as they gain popularity with the populous.

Look at Daemon Blackfyre.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
So, what do you guys think the chances of Varys making one of Robert's Bastards try and make a claim to the throne to put the realm in even more chaos?

I hope not. Martin's got more than enough plot threads to work with. Although I do wonder what's in store for Gendry. He's been popping up too much to not matter in some way.

Dysun

I doubt Robert's bastards will have a role to play, Gendry will show up with UnCat vs Brienne and Jaime and maybe one day when Arya returns to Westeros but I really dont think Mya or Edric will factor in to the overall story

Aiii

So not worth it
Gendry is the older of the two, but Mya is the oldest of all his kids.

Thanks. Mya won't factor in because she's a woman. So unless all other bastards die, mweh.

Gendry of course has the best claim then, and is in the company of Stoneheart, which could prove vital in the endgame.

Hindle

Banned
I would so disappointed if they only show up in a big way in the last book and are somehow magic'd away. Please Martin, bring down the wall.

I think it's how book six will end, with the wall coming down and the others destroying everything in their path, or maybe halfway through book six.

Salvadora

I think it's how book six will end, with the wall coming down and the others destroying everything in their path, or maybe halfway through book six.

It really looks like it could be an epilogue, perhaps. I feel like the Others have been sitting at the back of my mind for this whole series and I would like to see them finally come out of the shadows. With winter having finally came I think they will, or at least I hope.

Hindle

Banned
It really looks like it could be an epilogue, perhaps. I feel like the Others have been sitting at the back of my mind for this whole series and I would like to see them finally come out of the shadows. With winter having finally came I think they will, or at least I hope.

My main theory with them is Martin uses them to wrap up several storylines. Like they arrive, decimate Stannis completely. They kill several other main characters aswell. Then Dany arrives at some point and forms the resistance with say Jon and Aegon.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't believe Stannis will be around much longer. I still think he has to die and pass the dormant Lightbringer to Jon so he can become Azor Ahai reborn. If he makes it past the first half of the second book I'd be amazed.

Besides, we're gonna have to eliminate some of the potential Iron Throne contestants somewhere.

Trojita

I don't believe Stannis will be around much longer. I still think he has to die and pass the dormant Lightbringer to Jon so he can become Azor Ahai reborn. If he makes it past the first half of the second book I'd be amazed.

Besides, we're gonna have to eliminate some of the potential Iron Throne contestants somewhere.

Long Claw is The True Lightbringer. It has already been through the flame.

bengraven

So apparently Gendry is taking the place of Edric Storm on the show? I haven't been keeping up with the show talk, but there's some scenes in the trailers with Thoros and Mel together and some talk about how Mel would be getting Gendry from Thoros/the Brotherhood and he would be the one Stannis wants to sacrifice to the flames.

Makes me wonder if there wasn't a point to Gendry in the books if GRRM was like "eh, sure".

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Makes me wonder if there wasn't a point to Gendry in the books if GRRM was like "eh, sure".

I seem to remember him saying that he has sometimes told them that certain changes could impact the story later on, but the producers do it their own way anyway. Which makes sense, since they can just play around and change whatever is to come later on as well. There's no guarantee that the show will even get anywhere close to finishing all the books even if they're published on time, so they should aim to make it as entertaining as possible while it lasts and not get bogged down in the source material.

Reyne

Why would you post this link? I know the guy came into an unmarked spoiler thread, but we all know he's gonna have that much more fun if he goes in completely blank.

What of it? He asked what the RW was after reading this:

Is Robb presented as the character in the show? I was more surprised by Catelyn's death than his when the Red Wedding happened since he wasn't present for a lot of the action in the novels.

So either he is just that dense and the link won't make a difference, or he is already not going in blank because he just read that sentence which already says pretty much what is going to happen.

Also, lets not kid ourselves here. The ones who will have fun aren't the ones going in blank, but us watching those going in blank. I remember actually feeling pretty angry at the author after reading the RW for the first time, though, of course, I moved on from it. I have read of people who literally threw book into the wall when reading it. I guess it depends on how much you like the characters involved in that event.
The true brilliance of the RW, in hindsight, IMO, is not in its execution but that there is so much foreshadow of it that you wonder how you actually didn't see it coming.
Not just in the house of undying, but the pages leading up to the event are littered with off-hand remarks that hints at it, like Sandor saying to Arya "your uncle’s bloody wedding." Hence why I so much enjoyed it the second read than the first.
In fact, I think I was able to enjoy the books a lot lot more on my re-reads because I was more invested in the journey and its details rather trying to flip the pages as fast as possible to get some plot progression.

Has there been any speculation that Hodor is related to the Cleganes? He is the only other character that matches their strength/stature. I'm trying to recall Hodor's origin story...

EDIT: thanks to the wikis it turns out his name is Walder and may have Giant's blood in him.

Macmanus

tumblr_m61fohewEm1r38z3po1_500.png

Do you think this might be a troll? I really hope not.

If Longclaw is the Lightbringer then should it not emit heat? I remember reading a theory (might have been here) that the Night's Watch was the LB and their oath reflects this. The sword breaking twice in the story of Azor Ahai is the Watch breaking when they betray Mormont and Jon.

Stannis's Lightbringer is just a sword that Melisandre put a glamour or spell on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom