• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
2015 is the earliest I'm hoping for, but by any means I don't expect him to complete the final book before 2019/2020. Unless something happens that increases his pace significantly from here on out (unlikely with the increasing number of sideprojects he takes on), I don't see the show not overtaking GRRM. I guess they could put the show on hiatus or something, but that would be very iffy given the need to have the actors commit to returning 2 or 3 years later.

I think it's more like the final book will need to be split into two parts so the first part can release earlier and the show won't overtake his writing.

TCRS

Banned
I just hope that he doesn't cut any corners now that he is under pressure from the show. I don't know but I felt he already did that a bit in ADWD with the sudden introduction of Aegon.. That should have been fleshed out more.

Violater

2015 is the earliest I'm hoping for, but by any means I don't expect him to complete the final book before 2019/2020. Unless something happens that increases his pace significantly from here on out (unlikely with the increasing number of sideprojects he takes on), I don't see the show not overtaking GRRM. I guess they could put the show on hiatus or something, but that would be very iffy given the need to have the actors commit to returning 2 or 3 years later.

I think it's more like the final book will need to be split into two parts so the first part can release earlier and the show won't overtake his writing.

Thanks, now everyone in the office is looking at me weird for saying "fuck" out loud.

UraMallas

I think it would've been cool to see GRRM on the cameo they proposed. Too bad but I'm glad if it meant he worked on the book that weekend, or something.

RyanMT

Neo Member
According to the wiki, there's 344 chapters

AGoT - 73
ACoK - 70
ASoS - 82
AFfC - 46
ADwD - 73
Ah, thank you for that. Gets me a year closer at least. This time now I see the characters as they are in the show, don't know if that's good or bad. I've already forgotten what my imagination made them to look like! Just "met" Arya again, I think that girl is gonna go places. :)

TCRS

Banned
Same here, though I try hard to imagine them differently. "My" Ned always looked somewhat like Sean Bean, so I just imagine him like in the show but a little younger and more slender (he's also way more grumpy in the book than in the show). It's hard to imagine Catelyn and Maester Luwin differently though. Show Catelyn is just too old!

I can imagine Robert, Cersei, Sansa and Joffrey differently though. And Jon Snow. All others are basically from the show. I don't have that problem with the castles though, Winterfell in the show looked ludicrous imo with the flat round towers. Here's what I always imagined Winterfell looked like:

tumblr_lk0o0kPppo1qj19qpo1_500.jpg

One thing I noticed is that the Maesters chains are supposed to be bound tightly to their neck. It's not a big chain like in the show.

Wh0 N0se

According to the wiki, there's 344 chapters

AGoT - 73
ACoK - 70
ASoS - 82
AFfC - 46
ADwD - 73

Wow, I didn't think it was that many! I suppose 1 yearly read through and you wouldn't get bored of the series and it'd take a good portion off the wait.

Also, does anyone know where the character pics are, the ones that are drawn based on the books description of the character not the show versions?

Hindle

Banned
He never clarifies the guy who kills Pâté and takes his identity.

Edit. Whoever it is, I think he's involved with the White Walkers and whatever master they serve. The big bad if you will.

gutshot

It's nice to see that he's still motivated and optimistic of getting out ahead of the show, but it just seems so unlikely. Is there a running count for his manuscript so far on the upcoming book? And does anyone have comparisons for no. of manuscript pages versus no. of actual pages in regards to the previous books?

He's said that TWOW will likely be 1400-1500 manuscript pages. GRRM said he had some 150-200 pages done that was stuff left over from ADWD. No one knows how much he has written since then.

Hindle

Banned
So I'd say no new characters will be introduced from now, with the cast list for the remaining books being:

Samwell
Brienne
Arya
Sansa
Ceresi
Victarion
Tyrion
Jon, he survives.
Arianne
Bran
Theon.
Danerys
Barristan

The show is already going to handle things very differently from the books. The whole "Arstan Whitebeard" thing won't work, for example, because he'll be immediately recognizable. Theon will be shown all throughout Seasons 3 and 4. And so on.

I have no doubt that some elements of TWOW are going to be shown happening alongside elements of ADWD before that book comes out, especially the stuff going on in the North. But I'm sure Martin is also keeping the show runners up to date on his manuscript and known future plot points and they'll be able keep rough pace with each other for Book 6. A Breath of Spring is totally not coming out before the show finishes Book 6, though. That's where the troubles will be.

I feel like Martin will definitely release book 6 well before the show runs into that material, but releasing book 7 prior to the show reaching that point will likely be an issue.

pr0cs

I feel like Martin will definitely release book 6 well before the show runs into that material, but releasing book 7 prior to the show reaching that point will likely be an issue.

I think that is the problem they have with pacing the show. They stuffed so much content in a 10 episode season that they cut out a huge swath of character development. Not only that but they'll catch up to his books in no time and have limited content to further produce new episodes.

It's a catch 22 really for the show producers. Go too slow through the story arcs and the characters age, difficulty and costs around keeping that many people under contract, potentially lose people who were expecting a faster-paced exciting series, etc.

Go fast (like they have) and they catch up to the source material, create in some circumstances a difficult to follow story.

It's an interesting predicament.

Same here, though I try hard to imagine them differently. "My" Ned always looked somewhat like Sean Bean, so I just imagine him like in the show but a little younger and more slender (he's also way more grumpy in the book than in the show). It's hard to imagine Catelyn and Maester Luwin differently though. Show Catelyn is just too old!

I can imagine Robert, Cersei, Sansa and Joffrey differently though. And Jon Snow. All others are basically from the show. I don't have that problem with the castles though, Winterfell in the show looked ludicrous imo with the flat round towers. Here's what I always imagined Winterfell looked like:

Not gritty enough. (sarcasm)

I probably pictured it somewhere inbetween, though. It's supposed to be a bit more grander, with that crazy water heating system and all.

He could always use Ghost as the wall POV now that Jon is...

Whilst I don't doubt we'll get a chapter or so of direjon it would be very limiting in regards to everything that's happening in the north. Then again I could imagine the rest being told through Theon's chapters.

One thing I noticed is that the Maesters chains are supposed to be bound tightly to their neck. It's not a big chain like in the show.
Is it sad that the random mix of square towers, flat walls and round towers ruins the picture for me? I get that a castle would get added to over time, but rounded walls and towers should be the norm for castles of its type (at least in terms of the outer walls). The reason for that is that stones from catapults are more likely to deflect off rounded walls than flat ones.

I'd actually love to get a Willis Tyrell POV instead; there are plenty of King's Landing POVs already. Willis seems like another cerebral crippled character. He's handled the Iron Born reaving pretty well and seems like a potent player.
If he does any more Melisandre chapters, it's likely to be just a garnish, like it was in ADWD.

Given Jon's situation I would guess that Melisandre will become a larger POV in TWOW, just to show what's happening on the Wall. Of course, perhaps instead we'll get Ghost chapters until he is restored/healed/whatever.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He never clarifies the guy who kills Pâté and takes his identity.
Pâté...? WTF? Where are those random accents coming from??

And yeah it's obviously Jaqen H'ghar, pay attention. :p

Not gritty enough. (sarcasm)
I wouldn't be sarcastic because it's not that wrong. It's a cool artwork and very pretty, but it's kinda Walt Disney-ish looking.

There is also the chance of Catelyn getting some more PoV in later books too.
I sincerely doubt that.

RaidenZR

He needs to have somebodies PoV at the wall so I'd assume it will be Melisandre, Val, or possibly even Tormund (which would be awesome).

That's true but I only said that because having a bunch more POV's from her will start to completely unravel any mysterious qualities her character has left...

Then again, he already started to diffuse some of mysteriousness with the last book so maybe that's not a big deal anymore.

Hindle

Banned
I actually think Catylen will be the final epilogue for the series in book seven. Maybe have her achieve redemption surrounded by her children. Martin did mention the ending would be bittersweet.

I've just finished Book 5 and holy fuck, the ending with Kevan. Varys just appears from nowhere. What he's been up to is something I'd like to know.

In general, him and Littlefinger are characters where I can't tell what thier motivations are. Like both seem to be good guys.

I actually think Catylen will be the final epilogue for the series in book seven. Maybe have her achieve redemption surrounded by her children. Martin did mention the ending would be bittersweet.

I've just finished Book 5 and holy fuck, the ending with Kevan. Varys just appears from nowhere. What he's been up to is something I'd like to know.

In general, him and Littlefinger are characters where I can't tell what thier motivations are. Like both seem to be good guys.

Varys' ultimate motivations aren't clear, but what he's up to seems pretty clear.

Littlefinger's motivations have been made crystal clear in the last couple of books. Become as high-ranking a lord as he can, if not actually King. He's not at all a good guy.

Hindle

Banned
Varys' ultimate motivations aren't clear, but what he's up to seems pretty clear.

Littlefinger's motivations have been made crystal clear in the last couple of books. Become as high-ranking a lord as he can, if not actually King. He's not at all a good guy.

Yea I'm thinking in book six his relationship with Sansa will darken. Like he will try and force himself on her.

Hindle

Banned
I think Sansa will learn all she can from him and then turn the tables on him.

Yea, I think she will learn of his part in her fathers death and start planning his downfall. I see Sansa as basically the chosen one when it comes to playing the game. I think the series will end with her being the best ever or something.

I still can't get over how good the epilogue was in ADWD. Kevan and Grand Master Pycelle both being killed is just wow.

Hasn't it been made pretty that Varys wants the Targaryens back in power?

Littlefinger...we have to see what effect he has on the power battle. Which I assume will be ignited again in full force.

Yea, I think she will learn of his part in her fathers death and start planning his downfall. I see Sansa as basically the chosen one when it comes to playing the game. I think the series will end with her being the best ever or something.

I still can't get over how good the epilogue was in ADWD. Kevan and Grand Master Pycelle both being killed is just wow.

I always liked Kevan. I was a little saddened when I started reading the epilogue and realized who the POV character was.

daripad

Hasn't it been made pretty that Varys wants the Targaryens back in power?

Littlefinger...we have to see what effect he has on the power battle. Which I assume will be ignited again in full force.

But is Aegon a true Targaryen?

That epilogue was just awesome, but I don't understand why Varys killed Pycelle, he wasn't useful at all

Hindle

Banned
It's going to be awesome reading Cerseis POV again in AFFC knowing that she's an idiot lol. So much comedy in her chapters.

What are the theories about Ser Robert Strong btw? The obvious one is it's Gregors reanimated corpse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom