• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the last scenes of the first season of TV-GoT featured Arya and Gendry. That got me wondering. What the hell ever happened to Gendry? Where do we last see him in the story? If I recall correctly, he stayed in Harrenhall as a smith, right?

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
That's gonna be a sweet week... ADWD comes out AND the last Harry Potter movie. I should have just taken the whole week off from work.

bengraven

zmoney said:
My question is what kind of fucked up shit have they been doing to Jeyne Pool for the last 4 books. God damn. Hope she wasn't given to Qyborn.

Also once July 12 hits I'm going to be off GAF as well for a few days till I finish the book.

I'm assuming she's just been in captivity for the last couple years, likely (since this is GRRM we're talking about) being passed around to the guards. They pulled her out when they needed her and simply said "you're going to marry a lord and Winterfell is yours" and she's broken, but willing.

Why they kept her instead of killing her I don't think we'll know until the second or third Reek chapter - if she talks to him and gives him her story.

Outdoor Miner said:
One of the last scenes of the first season of TV-GoT featured Arya and Gendry. That got me wondering. What the hell ever happened to Gendry? Where do we last see him in the story? If I recall correctly, he stayed in Harrenhall as a smith, right?

Knighted by the Brotherhood and their new blacksmith. We last see him just before Arya is kidnapped by the Hound.

We'll see him again.

Pollux

bengraven said:
I'm assuming she's just been in captivity for the last couple years, likely (since this is GRRM we're talking about) being passed around to the guards. They pulled her out when they needed her and simply said "you're going to marry a lord and Winterfell is yours" and she's broken, but willing.

Why they kept her instead of killing her I don't think we'll know until the second or third Reek chapter - if she talks to him and gives him her story.

Knighted by the Brotherhood and their new blacksmith. We last see him just before Arya is kidnapped by the Hound.

We'll see him again.
Is she supposed to marry Reek or Ramsay ADWD spoiler -->
by Reek I mean Theon

bengraven

zmoney said:
Is she supposed to marry Reek or Ramsay ADWD spoiler -->
by Reek I mean Theon

Ramsay.

In the preview chapter
He tells "Reek" he is going to meet his wife and wants Theo---Reek to join him.

Pollux

bengraven said:
Ramsay.

In the preview chapter
He tells "Reek" he is going to meet his wife and wants Theo---Reek to join him.
K. (So no once goes apeshit on me there is a spoiler for season 3 of Dexter in this spoiler, I know how crazy y'all are about things being spoiled so you've been warned)
And I do feel sorry for the bastard after what Ramsay did to him. Reminds me of that tree trimmer on Dexter

aceface

bengraven said:

We'll see him again.

No, Gendry was in Feast iirc. Brienne encounters him at that inn with the orphans. Doesn't he get invovled with her fight with Biter somehow? I'm trying to remember.

Edit: Yeah, Gendry stabbed Biter with a spear in the back of the neck, killing Biter and saving Brienne. Also Gendry worships the Lord of Light now apparently. Just checked the tower of the hand.

diunxx

bengraven said:

We'll see him again.

He was in the inn where Brienne gets attacked by Biter.

Just read Reek's POV from the preview chapters!

I think Theon will make for a very interesting read in Dance. I imagine he is constantly tortured physically, and mentally as well, for the sins he committed against Winterfell and it's people, Bran and Rickon and most importantly, his sworn brother and king, Robb. I'm anticipating deep anguish and regret for his move against Winterfell because he back stabbed the only character who loved him and it ultimately led him into the hands of the Bolton's.

Pollux

shadowsdarknes said:
Just read Reek's POV from the preview chapters!

I think Theon will make for a very interesting read in Dance. I imagine he is constantly tortured physically, and mentally as well, for the sins he committed against Winterfell and it's people, Bran and Rickon and most importantly, his sworn brother and king, Robb. I'm anticipating deep anguish and regret for his move against Winterfell because he back stabbed the only character who loved him and it ultimately led him into the hands of the Bolton's.
Can you say another redemption arc?

ezrarh

yacobod said:
idk if i'm too interested in theon's redemption in the last 2-3 books. guy betrayed the only family he really knew.

I wouldn't be so sure on his redemption path. Based on the Reek preview
he could very well go the gollum path, perhaps helping the Starks inadvertently before dying.

Pollux

ezrarh said:
I wouldn't be so sure on his redemption path. Based on the Reek preview
he could very well go the gollum path, perhaps helping the Starks inadvertently before dying.
I could see that...based on the preview
it seems as if he's too broken to do much of anything other than just react and hope for the best

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
do the Iron Born even get down like that? i remember Theon hitting on his sister before he realized who she was but i'm not sure if the culture is open to that sorta thing...

jon bones said:
do the Iron Born even get down like that? i remember Theon hitting on his sister before he realized who she was but i'm not sure if the culture is open to that sorta thing...
Both Theon and Victarion were disgusted at any incestous stuff, so I rather doubt it.

bengraven said:

We'll see him again.
We see him in feast for crows interacting with brienne just before biter fucks her up.

Fjordson

Man, been reading up on various things on Tower of the Hand. I forgot how interesting the situation in the North is with the Boltons and whatnot.

Can't wait to read (slight ADWD PoV spoiler)
the Reek/Theon chapters. I forget what exactly happened to Theon, though. He's currently Ramsay's prisoner, right? And if so, why exactly does Ramsay want to keep him captured? The only thing I can think of is that now that Roose Bolton is with the Lannisters (or at least he was) then Theon and the Greyjoys are enemies of the Boltons by way of rejecting Lannister rule/the Iron Throne.

Better to keep theon as a prisoner just in case than to kill him for no reason. Ramsay's one smart bastard.

I was reading dunk and egg, and it made me wonder - what happened to blackfyre?

While we're on swords, where is Dawn?

bengraven

aceface said:
No, Gendry was in Feast iirc. Brienne encounters him at that inn with the orphans. Doesn't he get invovled with her fight with Biter somehow? I'm trying to remember.

Edit: Yeah, Gendry stabbed Biter with a spear in the back of the neck, killing Biter and saving Brienne. Also Gendry worships the Lord of Light now apparently. Just checked the tower of the hand.

Okay, looks like I missed a part. Sounds like he's still probably all Brotherhood.

Fjordson said:
Man, been reading up on various things on Tower of the Hand. I forgot how interesting the situation in the North is with the Boltons and whatnot.

Can't wait to read (slight ADWD PoV spoiler)
the Reek/Theon chapters. I forget what exactly happened to Theon, though. He's currently Ramsay's prisoner, right? And if so, why exactly does Ramsay want to keep him captured? The only thing I can think of is that now that Roose Bolton is with the Lannisters (or at least he was) then Theon and the Greyjoys are enemies of the Boltons by way of rejecting Lannister rule/the Iron Throne.

My personal theory:
I think Ramsay may believe the Lannisters are sending a fake Arya so Ramsay plans on using Theon to identify his wife to either be Arya or an imposter. In this case, I believe he will contact his father of the Lannisters deception and they will press an attack in Kings Landing.

bengraven said:
Okay, looks like I missed a part. Sounds like he's still probably all Brotherhood.
He definitely is. FYI he doesn't say "Hi I'm gendry" to brienne, but she talks with him and thinks he's renly when she first sees him.

shadowsdarknes said:
My personal theory:
I think Ramsay may believe the Lannisters are sending a fake Arya so Ramsay plans on using Theon to identify his wife to either be Arya or an imposter. In this case, I believe he will contact his father of the Lannisters deception and they will press an attack in Kings Landing.

The book specifically says that the boltons know they have a fake arya.

elrechazao said:
He definitely is. FYI he doesn't say "Hi I'm gendry" to brienne, but she talks with him and thinks he's renly when she first sees him.

The book specifically says that the boltons know they have a fake arya.

I guess I forgot about that. Can you summarize what happened?

shadowsdarknes said:
I guess I forgot about that. Can you summarize what happened?
When tywin is talking to tyrion about fake arya, tyrion says something like "won't bolton be mad when he finds out we sent a fake stark to his son to marry", and tywin says something like "he knows".

elrechazao said:
When tywin is talking to tyrion about fake arya, tyrion says something like "won't bolton be mad when he finds out we sent a fake stark to his son to marry", and tywin says something like "he knows".

I'm pretty sure that was Jaime talking to Brienne, telling her not to chase after the fake Arya.

Basileus777 said:
I'm pretty sure that was Jaime talking to Brienne, telling her not to chase after the fake Arya.
Jaime talks to brienne about it as well, but this was specifically a discussion between tywin and tyrion. Jaime also meets the fake arya directly.

elrechazao said:
Jaime talks to brienne about it as well, but this was specifically a discussion between tywin and tyrion. Jaime also meets the fake arya directly.

Really? I thought Tyrion was jailed by the time this happened.

shadowsdarknes said:
Ok I do remember that. He then goes on to say some wars are won with letters, not swords.

I just checked the book and you're right, it was that scene.

Roose Bolton be­comes War­den of the North and takes home Arya Stark.”

“Arya Stark?” Tyri­on cocked his head. “And Bolton? I might have known Frey would not have the stom­ach to act alone. But Arya . . . Varys and Ser Jace­lyn searched for her for more than half a year. Arya Stark is sure­ly dead.”

“So was Ren­ly, un­til the Black­wa­ter.”

“What does that mean?”

“Per­haps Lit­tlefin­ger suc­ceed­ed where you and Varys failed. Lord Bolton will wed the girl to his bas­tard son. We shall al­low the Dread­fort to fight the iron­born for a few years, and see if he can bring Stark’s oth­er ban­ner­men to heel.

Tywin doesn't make it clear Bolton knows though, I think that was Jaime later on.

Fjordson

Hmm. I guess we'll find out then. I guess it could always just be that Ramsay is a bit crazy, but I think the common enemy idea makes sense.

So I asked earlier but nobody bit -

Anyone know who has Blackfyre at this point?
Also, who has dawn (if anyone?)

Reading dunk and egg made me wonder about some of these famous swords.

shadowsdarknes said:
My personal theory:

With what army?

elrechazao said:
So I asked earlier but nobody bit -

Anyone know who has Blackfyre at this point?
Also, who has dawn (if anyone?)

Reading dunk and egg made me wonder about some of these famous swords.

Dawn is at Starfall with no one using it. Bittersteel took Blackfyre after the Redgrass field. He founded the Golden Company, so it's likely with one of his descendants there.

Basileus777 said:
Dawn is at Starfall with no one using it. Bittersteel took Blackfyre after the Redgrass field. He founded the Golden Company, so it's likely with one of his descendants there.
I wonder if dany will end up with blackfyre then.

The Golden Company broke their contract with one of the free cities, something they've never done since their motto is "Our word is as good as Gold". We should find out the reason in Dance, hopefully along with what happened to blackfyre.

velvet_nitemare said:
The Golden Company broke their contract with one of the free cities, something they've never done since their motto is "Our word is as good as Gold". We should find out the reason in Dance, hopefully along with what happened to blackfyre.
I always forget that connection. Interesting to see martell sending his son to them, and apparently to dany. Lots coming together with that. I think you're right, they've got to be going to dany if they're willing to break their word.

bengraven

velvet_nitemare said:

This is the thing that's been mentioned twice in my re-read of Feast that I had forgotten about. Martell talked about the Gold Company breaking free of Myr (and by that, I'm assuming lost interest in Dany?) and now I'm on the Small Council chapter where Cersei is talking about it.

What's the significance of this?

bengraven said:
This is the thing that's been mentioned twice in my re-read of Feast that I had forgotten about. Martell talked about the Gold Company breaking free of Myr (and by that, I'm assuming lost interest in Dany?) and now I'm on the Small Council chapter where Cersei is talking about it.

They had to jave a big reason for breaking a contract for the first time ever. Well, some theories say that since the Golden ComPany was founded by westerosi exiles who wanted nothing more than to go home, they will swear fealty to Dany and help her take back westeros. Though this being Martin, theymight just as easily attack her.

bengraven said:

Not sure what you mean about dany there. Dany isn't in myr, she's in mereen. So the idea is that this mercenary company with targaryen contacts, and some contacts with the martells (who we know were plotting to bring back viserys, and probably now dany), suddenly broke what used to be (for them) an unbreakable contract during a war between two of the free cities, and is now heading for parts unknown. Seems very probably that they're headed to pledge their swords to dany in some form.

Basileus777 said:
Or they're like everyone else and their leader thinks he's going to marry Dany and use her dragons.
Yeah that too. I really hope there's some real chaos and scheming amongst all of the parties converging on dany. Who am I kidding, of course there will be.

Rubashov

For some reason I always thought Quentyn Martell convinced/hired the Golden Company and was taking them to Dany. But I guess I totally made that up in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom