• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

daripad

I think the only chapters I looked forward to in AFFC were Samwell's and Arya's, and even then barely anything happens in them. Good luck to D&D with Sam's story after season 4 because there's no way they can have him on a boat for an entire season. They could fill out his time in Braavos but, really, who wants to see that?
There are a lot of story lines to just focus on Sam.

jett

D-Member
I just hope the books are out before the show does catch up. Realistically, 2014 for The Winds of Winter and then he has to give us the ending of the series and give us the final book in 2017. Unless of course....he needs more books to finish the series.

Season 1 - 2011 A Game of Thrones
Season 2 - 2012 A Clash of Kings
Season 3 - 2013 A Storm of Swords 1
Season 4 - 2014 A Storm of Swords 2
Season 5 - 2015 A Feast for Crows
Season 6 - 2016 A Dance with Dragons
Season 7 - 2017 The Winds of Winter
Season 8 - 2018 'A Time for Wolves' aka the inferior 'A Dream of Spring'

The show can not possibly expand Feast and Dance into more than a single season each.

P.S.
The King in the North

Why not? Those books are huge, especially ADWD. I understand they're pretty slow and boring for some, but I imagine they'll start filling spaces with original material by then. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they split every book into two seasons or more. Although, I'd be more surprised if the show lasts long enough to catch up with GRRM. Another question is how long will B&W last as showrunners.

Randdalf

I think the only chapters I looked forward to in AFFC were Samwell's and Arya's, and even then barely anything happens in them. Good luck to D&D with Sam's story after season 4 because there's no way they can have him on a boat for an entire season. They could fill out his time in Braavos but, really, who wants to see that?

I dunno, I found AFFC boring the first time, but re-reading it I began to appreciate all the little details and chapters that I originally found boring, like Brienne's.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

They could easily have Aemon tell Dunk and Egg tales to Sam during the boat ride.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

A scene where it's stormy and he might be thrown overboard.

A scene where it is sunny out and he is talking to the Summer Islanders.

Filler scenes where there is something wrong with the boat and they have to do an emergency anchor on Skagos.

Filler scene in Braavos where a thief steals something important that Sam needs. Most likely the money he needs for passage is stolen. Cue quest for getting the money back.

Scenes showing Aemon dying and saying stuff.

Scenes where Sam is deciding whether to bone Gilly or not.

Scenes where Gilly and the baby are crying and Sam is trying to comfort them.

daripad

Now that I think of it, they could show some really old stuff, like Roberts rebellion and greyjoy's rebellion. And of course Aegon I arrival and conquest

Zoibie

A scene where it's stormy and he might be thrown overboard.

A scene where it is sunny out and he is talking to the Summer Islanders.

Filler scenes where there is something wrong with the boat and they have to do an emergency anchor on Skagos.

Filler scene in Braavos where a thief steals something important that Sam needs. Most likely the money he needs for passage is stolen. Cue quest for getting the money back.

Scenes showing Aemon dying and saying stuff.

Scenes where Sam is deciding whether to bone Gilly or not.

Scenes where Gilly and the baby are crying and Sam is trying to comfort them.

Okay fair enough. Wow, I guess more happened in Feast than I remembered, completely forgot about that Skagos stuff for instance.

I dunno, I found AFFC boring the first time, but re-reading it I began to appreciate all the little details and chapters that I originally found boring, like Brienne's.

Yeah I've heard that a lot. I should give it a re-read soon, I'd love to change my opinion on it. So far it's the only one I've been at all disappointed with.

Zoibie

I made that up :)

I know, but I remember thinking at the time that it would be cool to see that be expanded on a little.

Also something I meant to ask about. In the recent GoT panel, Martin mentioned there was a character in TWOW who has already been killed off in the show and for the life of me I can't figure out who it is.
Pyat Pree?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Benioff's comment about 'the show must go on' seems to suggest that he'd be perfectly willing, hopefully it never gets to that situation, George has recently said how he realises that the show is catching up and he's going to need to make sure he keeps a decent pace up.

Sure, but if GRRM was both alive and not quite ready, I'm not sure HBO would sign off on just making something up. GRRM would have to either be dead or in some kind of flat out writer's block to not be vaguely close to meeting these deadlines.

I dunno why people think AFFC/ADWD couldn't be done in a couple seasons due to a lack of "stuff happening." As a quick example of a potential first episode of a AFFC/ADWD season (assuming the PW occurs at the end of S4):

-Cold open with Pate giving the key to the alchemist, ominous revelation that the Citadel includes a book on how to kill dragons. Straight up reveal that Jaquen Hagar is the alchemist as he kills Pate
-Cersei's disasterous dinner with Kevan, his revelation that he knows who Tommen's father is
-Jamie guarding his father's body, confrontation with Cersei
-Tyrion on a boat, learning of Dany from Illyrio
-Bran traveling with Coldhands. Bran sees Coldhands kill the Night's Watch deserters; reveal that Coldhands is dead
-Jon sends Sam/Gilly/Aemon off, plans to fortify the Wall, beheads Slynt after he refuses orders

That strikes me as an episode in line with what the show typically does with the first episodes: lots of dialogue with some sparse action that serves as the "oh shit!" hook; in this case I'm counting three such scenes. No Dany, but nearly every storyline would point to her in some way (dragon killing book, Tyrion learning of Dany, Aemon's mission).

Ingeniero

I dunno why people think AFFC/ADWD couldn't be done in a couple seasons due to a lack of "stuff happening." As a quick example of a potential first episode of a AFFC/ADWD season (assuming the PW occurs at the end of S4):

Sounds good, but I dont think its a good idea to reveal the Jaqen thing befores its explained in the books. It would be as bad as knowing who Jon parents are before reading it in TWOS or ADOS.

While I'm not going to predict the quality of the seasons based on AFFC/ADWD, I think the abrupt change of pace could do some significant damage to the show's numbers.

But perhaps I'm selling the show's audience short.

CrunchyB

Also something I meant to ask about. In the recent GoT panel, Martin mentioned there was a character in TWOW who has already been killed off in the show and for the life of me I can't figure out who it is.
Pyat Pree?

Among others, but he was probably referring to one of Drogo's men, Mago. In the books he is still alive but Dany has vowed to kill him.

There's also Marillion, the bard whose tongue gets cut out. He vanishes in AFFC but Littlefinger probably squirreled him away somewhere, to be used at a later date.

Trojita

I know, but I remember thinking at the time that it would be cool to see that be expanded on a little.

Pyat Pree?

Among others, but he was probably referring to one of Drogo's men, Mago. In the books he is still alive but Dany has vowed to kill him.

There's also Marillion, the bard whose tongue gets cut out. He vanishes in AFFC but Littlefinger probably squirreled him away somewhere, to be used at a later date.

Xaro Xhoan Daxos?

CrunchyB

While I'm not going to predict the quality of the seasons based on AFFC/ADWD, I think the abrupt change of pace could do some significant damage to the show's numbers.

But perhaps I'm selling the show's audience short.

Weiss and Benioff have always felt the need to be really explicit and pack as much content in an episode as humanly possible. That was partly because they were rushing towards The Big Event this season. They might slow things down next season.

Or maybe they'll invent some bullshit plot featuring Ros. Who knows?

Sounds good, but I dont think its a good idea to reveal the Jaqen thing befores its explained in the books. It would be as bad as knowing who Jon parents are before reading it in TWOS or ADOS.

It basically has been revealed in the book though; the alchemist's description is the exact same as the plain face Jaqen reveals to Arya in ACOK. For the show it would make more sense just to have Tom Wlaschiha reprise his role since some viewers might not remember the face from S2's finale. It would also make Pate's return later in the season more memorable for viewers.

The show has already directly revealed things that were more subtle in the books (such as Renly/Loras).

CrunchyB

Xaro Xhoan Daxos?

Him as well. Although technically he isn't dead in the TV series either :)

Speaking of which, that whole storyline is so completely broken, it's not funny anymore.

The richest man in Qarth is actually not rich at all. Ho ho ho!
Well, except the priceless Valyrian steel vault of course. A sword of that stuff is already worth a fortune, never mind a whole frikkin' door. I wonder why Dany didn't steal that, she could buy an army!

Nevermind that, good work D&D!

Him as well. Although technically he isn't dead in the TV series either :)

Speaking of which, that whole storyline is so completely broken, it's not funny anymore.

The richest man in Qarth is actually not rich at all. Ho ho ho!
Well, except the priceless Valyrian steel vault of course. A sword of that stuff is already worth a fortune, never mind a whole frikkin' door. I wonder why Dany didn't steal that, she could buy an army!

Nevermind that, good work D&D!

If the wealth was fake, the Valerian-ness of the steel might have been as well.

Trojita

It basically has been revealed in the book though; the alchemist's description is the exact same as the plain face Jaqen reveals to Arya in ACOK. For the show it would make more sense just to have Tom Wlaschiha reprise his role since some viewers might not remember the face from S2's finale. It would also make Pate's return later in the season more memorable for viewers.

The show has already directly revealed things that were more subtle in the books (such as Renly/Loras).

Have Pate say "My name is Pate, like the Pig Boy" and then for a brief second as Pate is turning away after introducing himself to Sam have Jaquen's face appear while Sam isn't looking at him. Or it could be in a mirror or something.

And season one confirmed that varys and illyrio were the conspirators arya was listening in on before ADWD was released.

Pyat Pree?

I'll spoiler this just in case, but he's said it in a bunch of interviews.

TWOW
He's usually talking about Mago who Dany will encounter again in TWOW. Don't remember who Mago is? That's okay, no one else does either. He was a minor Dothraki from AGOT who pissed Dany off and she promised he'd die screaming or something. In the show he was the guy that got his tongue torn out by Drogo.

edit: nevermind, jumped the gun on this and beaten... by a lot

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I dunno why people think AFFC/ADWD couldn't be done in a couple seasons due to a lack of "stuff happening." As a quick example of a potential first episode of a AFFC/ADWD season (assuming the PW occurs at the end of S4)).

There's no way Joffrey dies at the end of season 4. It has to be towards the beginning. There's entirely too much material that has to follow his death in book 3 (eg Tyrion's trial).

There's no way Joffrey dies at the end of season 4. It has to be towards the beginning. There's entirely too much material that has to follow his death in book 3 (eg Tyrion's trial).

Yeah, Joffrey's wedding will have occurred by middle of the season. The rest will be the trial, and Tyrion will end season 4 killing Tywin and escaping King's Landing.

GRRM short interview

"It's my intention to cut down the number [of characters], so be afraid, be very afraid - your favourite may not survive the next book!"

It has begun

Please don't let it be Lord Wyman Manderly. GRRM almost made me throw the book away in anger when I read the passage where Frey#31 cut through his cheeks. Supporters of the King in the North can't seem to catch a break!

God, I forgot about half those characters introduced in AFFC and ADWD. You can't introduce characters more than halfway through your series and expect me to take them seriously. Which is one reason why it would be lame if Aegon turns out to be important at all.

"Here's this plot device I just pulled from my butt!"

Forgot about that, you're right. Tyrion's escape would be at the end of S4 then, right? Which would mean S5 could still be the funeral and all the stuff I outlined.

lingiii

Banned

Also Dany's bedmaids, right? the bloodletting of her Khal towards the end of the second season wipes out a bunch of her peeps.

Wh0 N0se

Yeah, 'favourite character', everyone knows that characters like Arya, Tyrion and it used to be Dany are peoples favourites, it's unlikely he's going to be killing them off is it.

lingiii

Banned
Killing off Doreah was the biggest tragedy. She was so hot...

don't I know it. also they played down Irri/Jiqui or whatever their names were--I don't think they even got names in the show. thought one of them was dead in her chambers though. either way, plenty of opportunity for Dany to get hers from khalesar bedmaids without those two.

seriously though all I want to have happen is goddamn Howland Reed to show up "on camera" in the books. this fucking guy clearly has some great shit going on, and we haven't even met him yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom