• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Maybe that's why there's WoW and DoS. Essentially two SoS's in a row

A poster in the comment section had this to say:
Yes, there's a lot, but believe it or not it's… less than you think?
There are four main plotlines set up for TWOW:
(1) Essos (Dany/Tyrion/etc)
(2) King's Landing (Lannisters/Tyrells/Dorne/Aegon)
(3) the North (Greyjoys/Stannis/Davos)
(4) the Wall (Jon/Bran/Mel/Others).
Then there are the more minor TWOW plotlines -- (1) Sansa in the Vale, (2) Arya in Braavos, (3) Jaime/Brienne/Stoneheart/Freys in the Riverlands, (4) Euron/Sam/Jaqen near Oldtown, and brief appearances from (5) Aeron and (6) Hotah/Darkstar.
In Book 7 it's evident how things will converge further. Dany's landing is a massive gamechanger that instantly makes everything in the south about her. Meanwhile, the Others will make the Wall and North plotlines converge in book 7 or even sooner. Eventually the two massive plotlines of North and South will themselves converge, with characters like Arya and Sansa showing up to play their long-planned roles in the endgame.
I suppose if he keeps converging characters it may speed stuff up. Still a hell of a mountain to climb.

Violater

How many years can we carry on speculating
KuGsj.gif

:(

lingiii

Banned
The Winds of Winter:

Chapter 1: Hodor:

Hodor watched as all of Westeros blew up.

Chapter 2: Danaerys:

Danaerys said "I guess I am the Queen of the world now."

The end.

someone promote this Junior, got me chuckling.

you missed the 0th chapter: Jorah gives up wooing the khaleesi back and furiously masturbates all his pent up tension over it; climax; chapter 1.

keuja

Every Stark alive has had lost his identity: Jon is the Night Watch, Bran is a tree, Arya is a faceless assassin and Sansa is using a different name. The Stark 'lineage' is dead at the moment so it could symbolize both the house as just Ned.

Not dead, just hidding, bidding their time.
When they re-unite, they're going to wreck shit in Westeros. All will fall under their rule.

Reyne

Yeah same method as the guy used in the opening to ... AFFC?

Yeah. The guy with the same description as the face Jaqen took, gave Pate a dragon for his troubles, knowing he would bite it, and then he died. A rather subtle device, since GRRM never outright writes that the coins are poisoned, in either case.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Yeah man, all this business with debt building with the Iron Bank is some kind of puppet-master style long play. he's clearly got a long vision, and it doesn't end with the Vale or even Vale + Winterfell + Harrenhall.

Thing I'm not sure about him is all this mystical business brewing. He's so totally a secular bro I don't know how he fits into dragons and fire gods and Azor Ahais and The Internet in the North. seems like any of those things just trump his schemes straight off.

Meanwhile, what was up with that prisoner the Spider was keeping in the show this week? I just reread Storm of Swords like last month and don't remember anything like that. is that supposed to be a nod to something else I haven't put together, or was it invented whole cloth?

I chuckled :)

Yeah man, all this business with debt building with the Iron Bank is some kind of puppet-master style long play. he's clearly got a long vision, and it doesn't end with the Vale or even Vale + Winterfell + Harrenhall.

Thing I'm not sure about him is all this mystical business brewing. He's so totally a secular bro I don't know how he fits into dragons and fire gods and Azor Ahais and The Internet in the North. seems like any of those things just trump his schemes straight off.

Meanwhile, what was up with that prisoner the Spider was keeping in the show this week? I just reread Storm of Swords like last month and don't remember anything like that. is that supposed to be a nod to something else I haven't put together, or was it invented whole cloth?

It was the same sorcerer who castrated him. He told the story about how he was cut in the second book, but him finding the sorcerer and having him shipped to King's Landing in a box is completely new for the show.

I liked the addition, shows the tv audience that Varys can be a scary motherfucker, and if you fuck with him he will eventually find you even if it takes him decades.

lingiii

Banned
It was the same sorcerer who castrated him. He told the story about how he was cut in the second book, but him finding the sorcerer and having him shipped to King's Landing in a box is completely new for the show.

I liked the addition, shows the tv audience that Varys can be a scary motherfucker, and if you fuck with him he will eventually find you even if it takes him decades.

yeah, it was a cool scene. I was just trying to put together if that dude was going to be Qyburn or something bonkers like that; more likely we'll probably just never seen that wiz-in-a-box again.

hemtae

yeah, it was a cool scene. I was just trying to put together if that dude was going to be Qyburn or something bonkers like that; more likely we'll probably just never seen that wiz-in-a-box again.

Qyburn is at Harrenhal. He was the guy that Robb and Talisa gave water.

TCRS

Banned
Can someone link me to that site that had the very well presented evidence for the Jon/Lyanna/Rhaegar theory.

I can't fucking remember it for the life of me. I first saw it because someone linked to it here....

Ratrat

What will Tv Joffrey do to piss off Lady Olena? As of now he's being manipulated very easily.
He's going to do something horrible isn't he? He's been to docile this season.

Have we gotten any background on the Doom of Valyria? I just read a couple fantasy books that were seemingly set in the same time period as A Song of Ice and Fire, but the story really takes place in the future and some modern cataclysmic event sent everyone back to the dark ages. Knowing Martin's history of science fiction, does anyone think he could be going for something like this?

Yagharek

Have we gotten any background on the Doom of Valyria? I just read a couple fantasy books that were seemingly set in the same time period as A Song of Ice and Fire, but the story really takes place in the future and some modern cataclysmic event sent everyone back to the dark ages. Knowing Martin's history of science fiction, does anyone think he could be going for something like this?

I was under the impression it was the ASOIAF equivalent of Atlantis. People speak of walls of water washing over some of the old cities, so I guess that puts it down as a volcano/tsunami event.

No doubt cause by a dragon raging when his internet went down.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Its basically Atlantis, but if you wanted to ascribe some kind of non-magic solution, perhaps its a volcano or seismic event.

I was under the impression it was the ASOIAF equivalent of Atlantis. People speak of walls of water washing over some of the old cities, so I guess that puts it down as a volcano/tsunami event.

No doubt cause by a dragon raging when his internet went down.

For sure, that's probably all it is. It's just the repeated mention of magical artifacts coming from Valyria (which would still play along with the Atlantis myth), The Smoking Sea, and some evidence that the Citadel is purposefully trying to stifle societal growth all lead me to speculate that Martin may have some big picture twist

Probably dead wrong, but it would be pretty cool I think

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

The Doom happened a bit over 300 years before the story started. Something caused a super volcano to basically destroy the entire country (Likely some magic gone really wrong)

Reyne

The Doom happened a bit over 300 years before the story started. Something caused a super volcano to basically destroy the entire country (Likely some magic gone really wrong)

Well, it happened a century before Aegon's Landing, so its been 400 years. Allegedly the Targaryens sat quiet rolling their thumbs on Dragonstone all that time before one day out of the blue deciding to take Westeros for themselves.

A poster in the comment section had this to say:

I suppose if he keeps converging characters it may speed stuff up. Still a hell of a mountain to climb.

I agree with that comment. There are a lot of various story strands but ultimately TWOW does indeed have four main arcs. We already know the book starts off with a bang - two battles, one for Winterfell one for Mereen. The synopsis of Barriston's TWOW chapter previews a battle that seems as grand as the Blackwater.

And unless those two battles are super long, it seems safe to suggest they could be finished within the first third of the novel; the logistics of a winter battle kind of guarantee the Winterfell battle won't be super long, but it might guarantee a long (and painful) aftermath. Both of those battles alone will resolve a lot of the story or move things forward; for instance I don't see how Dany can remain in Mereen after the battle.

lingiii

Banned
Hey is it possible to get the Dunk and Egg novellas anywhere? Search Kindle store and it turned up a few story anthologies featuring GRR as one of several authors.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey is it possible to get the Dunk and Egg novellas anywhere? Search Kindle store and it turned up a few story anthologies featuring GRR as one of several authors.

At the moment, they are only available in separate short story anthologies. Your best bet is to just go to the Library.

Only in those anthologies. with Hedge Knight you have the option of Legends or Dreamsongs Vol. II though. I have both, originally bought Legends for the Dark Tower story and didn't read Hedge Knight until much later

They're worth reading however you can find them though. There's a collection coming out eventually, but probably not for a few years I think.

For sure, that's probably all it is. It's just the repeated mention of magical artifacts coming from Valyria (which would still play along with the Atlantis myth), The Smoking Sea, and some evidence that the Citadel is purposefully trying to stifle societal growth all lead me to speculate that Martin may have some big picture twist

Probably dead wrong, but it would be pretty cool I think
I actually think the aim of the maesters is to push humanity forward into a scientific-ish future on the basis that if you have magic, you don't need logic or reason. That's why they're trying to kill the dragons, to blunt the power of gods, demons and wizards and allow humans manage their own affairs.

Just my theory, based on Marwyn's rant.

Ikael

Things that we know about Valyria:

- It used to be an extremely advanced civilization that mixed both magic and an efficient form of semi-republican goverment in order to extend its dominance

- Currently inhabited by "demons" that not only plage its grounds but also the adjacent waters

- Sailors claim that you can see the Valyrian sky lighted aflame from afar

- Some Lannister ancestors went into an expedition to Valyria and they never came back, so there's something truthly dangerous about the place

For all we know, Valyria looks like an scenario straight out of Demon's Soul rather than Atlantis. Which only makes me more eager for Martin to show >anything< Valyrian other than sailor's talk. Same goes for the fabled Asshai.

Aiii

So not worth it
I have long assumed that someone (I'm thinking Sam along with some of the oldtown folk like Jagen H'ghar and maybe including Arya) will end up on a trip to Valyria at some point in the next book or early in the final book.

It is rumored that the city is filled with old artifacts and treasure, most importantly Valyrian steel blades. Sam did find in his books that "Dragonsteel blades" were able to kill the Others.

i just had lunch with two guys who are watching the show. they both think robb is the future and dany is about to start some shit. i havent been watching this season at all, but man, are they in for it. i am graduating before the red wedding, hopefully i get a chance to see them shortly thereafter.

refreshing on the series and all the books. what's the general rumors on Sandor Clegane. Is it generally believed he's alive or dead?

I'm hoping he's alive. I'm hoping like Jaime he can find some redemption as a person.

Chris R

refreshing on the series and all the books. what's the general rumors on Sandor Clegane. Is it generally believed he's alive or dead?

I'm hoping he's alive. I'm hoping like Jaime he can find some redemption as a person.

Alive, he was the large monk on the Quiet Isle (his horse was there as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom