• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I really don't think that makes a lot of sense in terms of Tyrion's story arc. The fact that they went out of their way to keep the "any more whores" I find line from Tywin makes me think they're going to keep it the way it is in the books for effect.

There is no reason to change it. They've hinted at it enough. The outcome would be exactly what people expect too and its the sort of closure they need.

It will happen in S4, but they should have him on his way to Dany by the end.

What's with GRRM and fake deaths / cutting away at the last second before 'death'? As the books continue he really starts to overuse this...

I read once that it's due to him writing for TV a while back. Episodes need something to hold the viewers to the next one.

Maybe they do something like making her to testify against Tyrion by promising he won't be kexecuted but sent to the Wall, like Tywin said he would be before getting an arrow in his tummy. That way it could be even more tragic, Tyrion kills Shae who was just trying to save his life. Also, this would be right after he finds out about Tysha, so he might not be in the most rational of moods.

edit: jealousy for Sansa would work, too.

Based on early season 3, I think that's the seed they're planting.

exYle

If you could read one chapter from another characters POV what would it be?

I'd love to see what Tywin was thinking when Tyrion appeared in his bed chamber and killed him, his thoughts about Tyrion's innocence or not and what he thought of Joffrey etc.

I think it'd be fascinating!

Hodor as Bran wargs into him

I'd be okay with never seeing the Hound again, it felt like a fitting conclusion for him to have metaphorically died and Sandor finds peace living a quiet life in the middle of nowhere.
Although it would be great to see him champion the faith versus undead Gregor championing Cersei, I don't see it happening; it flies in the face of the above.

Took the words right out of my mouth. It would be incredibly dumb for Sandor to go through this major change and find peace only to fight again. Seems so fan-servicey.

Just let Sandor peacefully live the rest of his days on the Quiet Isle without being bothered by anyone.

YkDUXwj.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maybe they do something like making her to testify against Tyrion by promising he won't be kexecuted but sent to the Wall, like Tywin said he would be before getting an arrow in his tummy. That way it could be even more tragic, Tyrion kills Shae who was just trying to save his life. Also, this would be right after he finds out about Tysha, so he might not be in the most rational of moods.

edit: jealousy for Sansa would work, too.

I think its just more likely she'll straight up betray him in an even more duplicitous manner.

A TWOW bit of info
Martin later sent him the Manuscript in the Box, asking him to fact-check it for him — because a slip like a change in eye color will make fans salivate with imposter theories, when sometimes it's just a mistake. Garcia now performs this function for all the books, but it's completely unofficial: "It's not like I'm paid or anything." And yes, that means he's read parts of book six, The Winds of Winter — including a Sansa chapter that is sure to be controversial.
http://www.vulture.com/2013/04/george-rr-martin-fans-have-three-meals-and-drinks.html

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Figured I'd ask this here, instead of creating more black barred posts in the show thread. What do you guys think the writers will do about the end of Tyrion's arc in ASOS (which I'm assuming will occur next season)? He's quite a beloved character thus far and I'm curious how TV audiences will feel about him killing Shae and his father. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the writers changed things to make it more sympathetic, such as Tyrion accidentally killing Shae, or shooting Tywin after he lunges at him with a sword. Both of which seem like crappy changes so I hope I'm wrong.

Shae might be kind of a problem, but there's absolutely no need to change Tywin's part of it at all. The verbal smackdown he put on Tyrion in S3E1 and Tyrion's expression as he left are all the setup they need. The trial and everything else will be bonus.

The Joffrey wedding will probably be like episode 4 or 5 next season. They have to cover quite a bit of ground between both weddings. Episode 10 this season will be the aftermath. It will set up the Boltons as the bastards they are and it should contain the aftermath of Jon climbing the wall..

My money is on S4E2 for Joffrey's death, since it's the one GRRM is writing.

"And yes, that means he's read parts of book six, The Winds of Winter — including a Sansa chapter that is sure to be controversial."

Throwing my bet, Littlefinger takes Sansa's maidenhood

Though TWOW will take another 2-3 years to finish yeah?

I'm gonna go ahead and say the Sansa thing is something SHE does to Littlefinger. Starts asserting herself more in the game, but in a stronger way then people might expect.

It's gonna be a hot sex scene where Littlefinger is banging Sansa, but then yells out Cat's name at climax.

Sansa then schemes to cut off his littlefinger.

FIN

Chris R

It's gonna be a hot sex scene where Littlefinger is banging Sansa, but then yells out Cat's name at climax.

FIN

I already called this pages ago, but I think it would be a bad move by Sansa, she hasn't learned enough yet to really play the game solo.

I already called this pages ago, but I think it would be a bad move by Sansa, she hasn't learned enough yet to really play the game solo.

It would take some rapid character advancement to suggest she could play it solo. But I don't think that she'd do it immediately. If anything she knows how to sit and stew in a bad situation for a long time. Maybe she can use that to her advantage and kill LF at the end of the book, once she marries him and gets his land/titles or whatever.

phaze

Rhaegar at the Ruby Ford always piqued my interest

Rheagar or Lyanna to finally find out what the hell happened between tournament and battle of trident.

FIN

:lol

I honestly forgot why did Littlefinger ordered Lisa to poison her husband ? I jumped to books after S1 as well and had it ingrained in me that Lannisters did it, so that scene was a pretty big shock.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think its due to the fact that Jon Arryn was going to reveal to Robert that Cersei's kids weren't his, and he flat out didn't want it done, since it would add to much unpredictability to his scheme. One example of repercussions to his scheme, it would pull the Reach out of his pocket, since Robert would likely have just married Margaery soon after, making it so the Tyrell didn't have to work with Littlefinger at all.

Wouldn't Sansa's maidenhood be valuable to Littlefinger though? It's a bargaining chip not just for Harry the Heir, but perhaps even for Aegon if the Harry thing doesn't work out; say if Harry lead some attack against the mountain clansman and conveniently died, allowing LF to seek a better alliance.Perhaps LF decides to have Sansa taught the ways of lovemaking or some shit like that lol.

Or...what if she kills Sweet Robin?

Chris R

Does Littlefinger even know of Aegon? I mean I'm sure word will spread quickly but I assumed it was still little known outside of the Stormlands.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wouldn't Sansa's maidenhood be valuable to Littlefinger though? It's a bargaining chip not just for Harry the Heir, but perhaps even for Aegon if the Harry thing doesn't work out; say if Harry lead some attack against the mountain clansman and conveniently died, allowing LF to seek a better alliance.Perhaps LF decides to have Sansa taught the ways of lovemaking or some shit like that lol.

Or...what if she kills Sweet Robin?

As Cersei noted, though, many highborn ladies (including Sansa) would be unlikely to even have an, erm, maidenhead in the first place. I don't think it makes a ton of sense that Littlefinger would just come have sex with her now, anyways. It doesn't really fit with what he's dong and what he's apparently planning.

Wh0 N0se

Let's be honest, by now, anything that happens in these books that's considered controversial will have to be massive because we've seen a hell of a lot of messed up stuff!

RaidenZR

"And yes, that means he's read parts of book six, The Winds of Winter — including a Sansa chapter that is sure to be controversial."

Throwing my bet, Littlefinger takes Sansa's maidenhood

Though TWOW will take another 2-3 years to finish yeah?

Came to post that line...

It really could mean anything though. Sansa's situation is prime for more scandalous shit to go down. Maybe she smothers Robert with a pillow when he slips into her bed one last time.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's either Littlefinger forcing himself on Sansa or Robert's death (by Sansa). Both seem pretty much inevitable.

It's gonna be funny when Sansa and Arya reunite, and can finally find some common ground with each other by talking about the people they've killed.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Tyrion's murder of Shae was bad enough when GRRM had written her as just a gold-digger, I don't think there is any way for the show to pull off Tyrion intentionally killing show-Shae without making him look like a scumbag. But, well, Tyrion basically becomes a real scumbag after ASOS, so making him come off as a terrible person works fine.
They made TV-Tyrion a lot less scumbaggy than he was in the book (pre-trial even), though, so I don't see how that would work. Maybe the jealousy angle but I find it trite and not very believable.

Interesting. I don't agree that it's gonna be Littlefinger raping Sansa, though, for the same reasons you wrote. Her smothering SweetRobin in his sleep is more believable. xD

Now this one innocuous statement about one chapter will make fans speculate for 2-3-4 years. Yay! xD

Wh0 N0se

Could just mean controversial in the terms that fans won't like what happens, not what she does or Littlefinger does etc

Zombie Cat is controversial.

Blizzard

Banned
I have a silly question since I haven't read the books in ages, waiting for the next one to come out.

I think I saw a meme image somewhere of Sam Tarly and the YOU HAD ONE JOB text. What is this a joke about? Was his job to protect Jon Snow?

torontoml

I have a silly question since I haven't read the books in ages, waiting for the next one to come out.

I think I saw a meme image somewhere of Sam Tarly and the YOU HAD ONE JOB text. What is this a joke about? Was his job to protect Jon Snow?
Send the Ravens at the fist, he didn't in the show

Angry Grimace

They made TV-Tyrion a lot less scumbaggy than he was in the book (pre-trial even), though, so I don't see how that would work. Maybe the jealousy angle but I find it trite and not very believable.
They have lilke 15 episodes to make Shae more duplicitous.

They have lilke 15 episodes to make Shae more duplicitous.

They've already made her more sympathetic and more of a developed character than she was in the books, where she never advanced beyond whore who wants jewels. The show actually makes it seem like there is some affection between the two that exists beyond Tyrion's delusions. Murdering her is going to come off worse than it was in the books even if they start making her more duplicitous.

Angry Grimace

They've already made her more sympathetic and more of a developed character than she was in the books, where she never advanced beyond whore who wants jewels. The show actually makes it seem like there is some affection between the two that exists beyond Tyrion's delusions. Murdering her is going to come off worse than it was in the books even if they start making her more duplicitous.

Its wild mass guessing about an event that requires practically a doubling of the series current length to occur and absolutely no changes in characterization at all over the course of 16 straight episodes. It's actually kind of silly.

Angry Grimace

I don't think you know what wild mass guessing is.

I really don't see how the apparent underlying point (which is, from what I can tell, that Tyrion can't possibly intentionally murder Shae as she's portrayed in the show) is something other than just a wild guess because it makes a large number of assumptions about what's contained in the 15 episodes between this one and that one. I don't think its really an informed prediction to claim something 16 episodes down the line will most assuredly occur in some specific way based on events that occurred in those episodes more than a year prior. Its just making a series of assumptions that they can't possibly make her less sympathetic AND Tyrion is incapable of being portrayed on TV as a huge dick.

I don't think its really an informed prediction to claim something 16 episodes down the line will most assuredly occur in some specific way based on events that occurred in those episodes more than a year prior.
Good thing that never happened then. I certainly never spoke in terms of certainties.
Its just making a serious assumption that they can't possibly make her less sympathetic AND Tyrion is incapable of being portrayed on TV as a huge dick.
What is this even arguing against? I was saying that Tyrion would come across as a dick, and that it would be fine because it happened that way in the books too.

The boldest claim I've made is that if Tyrion kills her in the same way as in the books it will come off worse because he has more of a real relationship with Shae than in the books. You're inventing the claims of certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom