• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

I am seriously considering re-reading the books. Re-read the first four before Dance came out, but now I'm thinking that instead of re-reading Dance I'll just start at the beginning.

Chris R

I am seriously considering re-reading the books. Re-read the first four before Dance came out, but now I'm thinking that instead of re-reading Dance I'll just start at the beginning.

I'm waiting to get the first book back from the person I loaned it to because I want to reread as well. Going to do the combined AFFC&ADWD when I get that far and see how that works compared to reading them one after the other.

I always start at the beginning during re reads of any series. It doesn't feel right otherwise.

I am about 3/4 the way through AGOT and I still wish Ned had just up and left Kings Landing immediately after his fight with Robert. He'd still be alive, although the plot would have advanced very differently.

bengraven

Wow, just realized Stannis and his daughter are the only legit Baratheons left.

Sure, we have bastards, but they're not legit. And Tommen and Myrcella are legally Baratheons, but technically are illegal.

I'm waiting to get the first book back from the person I loaned it to because I want to reread as well. Going to do the combined AFFC&ADWD when I get that far and see how that works compared to reading them one after the other.

Same! A fellow GAFfer made a combined copy and my wife was lucky to have read that as her first time through.

I'll be reading that version.

(not saying their name just in case people frown on that)

I always start at the beginning during re reads of any series. It doesn't feel right otherwise.

Yeah, because I know I'm going to want to keep reading after I'm done...plus see above.

I also believe the Doom had something to do with the technological devolution the world seems to be in. The world allegedly has thousands of years worth of history yet overall it hasn't advanced much; Tyrion noted Westerosi stonemasons can't pave roads, something dragons and magic created years ago, but has since been lost. The seasons play a part too - obviously if you're having 20-30 year winters, it's going to be hard to make much technological advancement with all activity being stopped and tons of people dying due to weather.

I just hope there's not some moment where we find out that either Valyria has been rebuilt in secret, or that there's another mystery continent featuring technically advanced people who arrive just in time to take Dany to Westeros/kill the Others.

CrunchyB

ASoIaF is the only series of books I ever re-read. I ended up reading them all 3 times.

It's surprisingly fun the second time and third time. You know what's coming, so you can pay extra attention to all the subtle hints, foreshadowing and implied events.

For instance, Ned showing his cards to Cersei in AGoT is just painful on a second read, because you know how she will react. The books are full of stuff like that.

keuja

I have long assumed that someone (I'm thinking Sam along with some of the oldtown folk like Jagen H'ghar and maybe including Arya) will end up on a trip to Valyria at some point in the next book or early in the final book.

It is rumored that the city is filled with old artifacts and treasure, most importantly Valyrian steel blades. Sam did find in his books that "Dragonsteel blades" were able to kill the Others.

Dragonsteel is thought to be another name for Valyrian steel, although not confirmed.
Love the name of those valyrian blades by the way:
  • Widow's Wail
  • Oathkeeper
  • Heartsbane
  • Longclaw
  • Lady Forlorn
  • Red Rain
  • Nightfall
  • Ice
  • Blackfyre
  • Brightroar
  • Dark Sister
and although not technically Valyrian steel, because forged from a metal found in a meteorite(?), Dawn, the great sword of House Dayne.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dragonsteel is thought to be another name for Valyrian steel, although not confirmed.
Love the name of those valyrian blades by the way:
[snip]and although not technically Valyrian steel, because forged from a metal found in a meteorite(?), Dawn, the great sword of House Dayne.

I have long assumed that someone (I'm thinking Sam along with some of the oldtown folk like Jagen H'ghar and maybe including Arya) will end up on a trip to Valyria at some point in the next book or early in the final book.

It is rumored that the city is filled with old artifacts and treasure, most importantly Valyrian steel blades. Sam did find in his books that "Dragonsteel blades" were able to kill the Others.

Just FYI in case someone's confused: the NW brothers find dragonglass daggers, not "dragonsteel". Dragonglass is another name for obsidian.

Dawn is neither Valyrian Steel nor dragonglass, but made from metal mined from a fallen meteorite.

Someone in the non book show thread brought up a point and I'm curious cause I may have missed it whilst reading. It was about how Barristan should have known she spoke high valerian because he worked for the Targaryens, I believe. I don't feel like digging it up again.

Daenerys happens to speak high valerian because of she was essentially raised in Essos and lived with Illyrio. Essos, I am assuming was more likely versed in the 'arts' of the language moreso than their Westerosi counterparts.

Or was that because most of the Targaryens spoke it as well? I may have missed that.

Someone in the non book show thread brought up a point and I'm curious cause I may have missed it whilst reading. It was about how Barristan should have known she spoke high valerian because he worked for the Targaryens, I believe. I don't feel like digging it up again.

Daenerys happens to speak high valerian because of she was essentially raised in Essos and lived with Illyrio. Essos, I am assuming was more likely versed in the 'arts' of the language moreso than their Westerosi counterparts.

Or was that because most of the Targaryens spoke it as well? I may have missed that.

I don't recall the Targs being noted for speaking High Valyrian. So yeah, your assumption is probably accurate.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, the "Valyrian is my mother tongue" bit is show-only, I'm sure. Dany's mother tongue is the Andal language spoken in Westeros (aka the "common tongue"). She's no doubt fluent in Valyrian since she was raised in Essos and was around people who spoken the vulgar form of it, and of course she learned Dothraki, but her mother tongue is no doubt Andal.

Joni

And even if the Targs spoke it, who would have learned Dany? All the Targs were dead except her brother who would be too young to have learned it already. Selmy couldn't have expected her to know it.

And even if the Targs spoke it, who would have learned Dany? All the Targs were dead except her brother who would be too young to have learned it already. Selmy couldn't have expected her to know it.

I think my main thing was whether the Targs spoke it when they ruled Westeros. I never recalled it being mentioned but I assume they'd been so far removed that they spoke the common tongue.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I just checked the book, and Barristan does know some Valyrian, but not as much as Dany. Presumably he's well read, being a highborn knight, but yeah, I don't think it's because Targs spoke it at court.

Reyne

I think my main thing was whether the Targs spoke it when they ruled Westeros. I never recalled it being mentioned but I assume they'd been so far removed that they spoke the common tongue.

No. All Targaryen, including those in Dunk'n Egg have spoken the common tongue, though that isn't to say they didn't learn and speak High Valyrian, as a formality. Sort of like learning Latin.

I think the Targaryens have more or less completely adapted to Westeros culture. They even took the faith of the seven, even though Valyrians had their own religion.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Accordding to the Show Writers, Jaehaerys doesn't exist in the Show's version of the Universe, and Aerys is Egg's Son. Jaehaerys did only Rule for 3 years, but still.

I just checked the book, and Barristan does know some Valyrian, but not as much as Dany. Presumably he's well read, being a highborn knight, but yeah, I don't think it's because Targs spoke it at court.

No. All Targaryen, including those in Dunk'n Egg have spoken the common tongue, though that isn't to say they didn't learn and speak High Valyrian, as a formality. Sort of like learning Latin.

I think the Targaryens have more or less completely adapted to Westeros culture. They even took the faith of the seven, even though Valyrians had their own religion.

I see. Guess I should re-read the books this summer!

Gracias.

Nearly a the end of ASoS and Bran walked through the Black Gate, Oberyn just got killed, Dany sent Jorah away and Jon just got arrested by Janos Slynt. Sansa just met Lysa and Arya is doing something or other with the Hound.

It's really hard for me to care about Arya.

Anyone got the link to the suggested Feast/Dance combo order?

Nearly a the end of ASoS and Bran walked through the Black Gate, Oberyn just got killed, Dany sent Jorah away and Jon just got arrested by Janos Slynt. Sansa just met Lysa and Arya is doing something or other with the Hound.

http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

Thats the only one I know of, I think there are supposed to be a few variations though

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Arya used the coin at the end of the book to book a ship to Braavos.

We learn later that Saltpans was destroyed after she left.

Moff

I liked the addition, shows the tv audience that Varys can be a scary motherfucker, and if you fuck with him he will eventually find you even if it takes him decades.

It was a cool scene, but I wonder why it has not stirred up a bigger fuss.
I think its one of the biggest changes from the books we have seen yet , bigger than arya in my opinion.
Or did I miss something?

Varys is a eunuch, he does not have a legacy, even the people he kills in ADWD, he kills for his plan, for the realm. never for himself.
I am aware that there are theories that he is lying when he says he ha no own agenda and only wante the best for the realm, but is that really certain? Have I missed something?

So the scene in the last episode was quite shocking for me, because that was the first thing I saw of him that he did only for himself, petty vengeance. Its something littlefinger would do, but not varys.

It was a cool scene, but I wonder why it has not stirred up a bigger fuss.
I think its one of the biggest changes from the books we have seen yet , bigger than arya in my opinion.
Or did I miss something?

Varys is a eunuch, he does not have a legacy, even the people he kills in ADWD, he kills for his plan, for the realm. never for himself.
I am aware that there are theories that he is lying when he says he ha no own agenda and only wante the best for the realm, but is that really certain? Have I missed something?

So the scene in the last episode was quite shocking for me, because that was the first thing I saw of him that he did only for himself, petty vengeance. Its something littlefinger would do, but not varys.

maybe the shower creator know something we don't? remember, George talked to the show producers

Trojita

What are the chances that Loras isn't actually injured at Dragonstone, and that was just a lie told to Cersei?

Wh0 N0se

I'd say pretty high on Loras, as to why I'm not really sure, we'll see.

I don't think the Varys things is that important, It's only a slight change when you think about it, you'll still get the same end result even if they've gone a different route.

Also, I think GRRM doesn't look at every script, he may look at stuff that varies from the book to make sure there's nothing that messes anything up but it's possible they did the Varys stuff without him knowing too much about it.

Aiii

So not worth it
What are the chances that Loras isn't actually injured at Dragonstone, and that was just a lie told to Cersei?

Low. Very low I'd wager. That seems like a hard lie to tell. Not sure why they would lie about it either.

Did we see the last of Loras? No, of course not.

Moff

maybe the shower creator know something we don't? remember, George talked to the show producers
I am not saying its impossible, I am just wondering why no one has adressed this yet, because changes from the book are often discussed here, and I thik varys being a vengeful killer is a pretty big one.

I am not saying its impossible, I am just wondering why no one has adressed this yet, because changes from the book are often discussed here, and I thik varys being a vengeful killer is a pretty big one.

He didn't actually kill the sorcerer. In character he might be planning to use him to understand more about magic or gain knowledge for his own needs.

If this was the case though, showing him to Tyrion was somewhat out of character as he gave up a potential advantage.

one big change though that they haven't shown is Loras' fighting ability. he was supposed to be 2nd to jaime when it comes to swordfighting.

i mean, he killed what, 3 knights in his rage when Renly died?

bengraven

Um, so the show is having Sansa marry Loras...but he's a Kingsguard. We all know that Kingsguard can't marry, obviously, but do non-readers?

It already mentioned a few episodes ago that Kingsguard can't marry, I wonder if anyone is going "hey, didn't Tyrion tell his dad that Jaime can't marry...".

Aiii

So not worth it
Um, so the show is having Sansa marry Loras...but he's a Kingsguard. We all know that Kingsguard can't marry, obviously, but do non-readers?

It already mentioned a few episodes ago that Kingsguard can't marry, I wonder if anyone is going "hey, didn't Tyrion tell his dad that Jaime can't marry...".

Answer is simple really. He's not a kingsguard.

Reyne

Accordding to the Show Writers, Jaehaerys doesn't exist in the Show's version of the Universe, and Aerys is Egg's Son. Jaehaerys did only Rule for 3 years, but still.

Dumbing down the Targaryen tree for the viewers convenience I am guessing. Not that it matters.

Actually, got to thinking, that makes current Targaryens even less removed from the Baratheons, unless they pushed back Rhaelle as well.

I wish they kept Willas =(
He seemed like such a gentle, conscientious person. Probably would make a great lord.

Never mind the implied relationship between him and Oberyn. ;)

one big change though that they haven't shown is Loras' fighting ability. he was supposed to be 2nd to jaime when it comes to swordfighting.

i mean, he killed what, 3 knights in his rage when Renly died?

He cut down two of the Rainbow Guards who had been charged with protecting Renly when he died. Seem to me they didn't fight back.

Trojita

They got rid of Willas?

Wh0 N0se

This is a big reason as to why I think it's more likely that Loras isn't injured as badly as Cersei thinks.

TWOW spoiler
According to The Winds of Winter, Waters has apparently established himself as a pirate chief in the Stepstones off of Dorne. If Waters and Loras were conspiring, this would allow Waters to harass the forces of House Martell, the longtime enemies of House Tyrell.

Coupled with Kevan saying Loras was searching Dragonstone despite him supposedly being seriously injured

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
In the book, after the battle of Blackwater in the throne room, Loras offers Joffrey his sister Margaery's hand, and also asks to be part of his Kingsguard (since Mandon Moore died and there's a vacant post). Joffrey accepts.

In the show, he only offers Margaery's hand. I found that strange initially, but now I think it was intentional, cause since there's no Willas they can play around with the bogus marriage proposal. When Sansa marries Tyrion, they can have Loras join the Kingsguard after.

Yeah, the Loras marrying subplot was one that a lot of people called prior to the season considering that he didn't ask to be in the Kingsguard after Blackwater.

It's assumed it will play out like this:
-Tyrell's start the planning to marry Sansa to Loras
-Tywin finds out, and has the King name Loras to the Kingsguard so he can't marry Sansa
-Marries Tyrion to Sansa instead

A small and nice change IMO. Doesn't try to introduce a character that to this point in the books hasn't appeared and makes realistic use of character that's already established in the show. It also adds a little subplot for Tywin, and a special wrinkle for book readers because he'll essential do the same thing to the Tyrell's that the Mad King did to him when he named Jaime to the Kingsguard.

Still, the rage about it in WiC's Twitter recap of the episode was hilarious. People acting like cutting Willas was the most egregious action ever.

Eidan

Still, the rage about it in WiC's Twitter recap of the episode was hilarious. People acting like cutting Willas was the most egregious action ever.

I loved seeing people complain about the significance of Willas being who Sansa is proposed to, as if that significance is lost if Loras is the one Sansa is proposed to. Book purism at its finest.

Trojita

I loved seeing people complain about the significance of Willas being who Sansa is proposed to, as if that significance is lost if Loras is the one Sansa is proposed to. Book purism at its finest.

The whole point of the Willas union was that Sansa would be safe in Highgarden and The Tyrell's were mainly doing it to plot and get a potential Stark heir (if Robb dies) married to the heir of their family. Besides being a power play it would piss the Lannisters off. The other thing is that Willas might have been loving to Sansa, while we know Loras has no interest towards her. Has it ever been said Loras is the heir of Highgarden on the show either? Logic would dictate it would be dumb as fuck for the Tyrell's to bring both children to Kings Landing. There is a reason Willas was left in Highgarden, and it isn't because he is a cripple.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In the book, after the battle of Blackwater in the throne room, Loras offers Joffrey his sister Margaery's hand, and also asks to be part of his Kingsguard (since Mandon Moore died and there's a vacant post). Joffrey accepts.

In the show, he only offers Margaery's hand. I found that strange initially, but now I think it was intentional, cause since there's no Willas they can play around with the bogus marriage proposal. When Sansa marries Tyrion, they can have Loras join the Kingsguard after.

I never even caught that he wasn't in the Kingsguard in the show. Am I imagining all of those lines about Loras protecting Margarey? They really do run together between the book/show since I'm concurrently reading ASOS with the show.

I'm not surprised they rejiggered that plot and I agree with it. The single biggest problem in adapting ASOIAF to the screen is managing loads and loads of characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom