• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

F!ReW!Re

I feel kind of Evil when I read people's posts like that, I seriously can't wait to see their reactions!

Devil-Plotting.gif

Would really appreciate if people spoiler tagged show scenes for a few days at least in this thread. Especially if stuff they're describing deviates from the book.

C'mon. Can't we have one ASoIaF/GoT thread where everything is on the table, no spoiler tags needed?

I understand not everyone can see the show immediately, but it's really frustrating to deal with so many overly sensitive folks and so many arbitrary spoiler rules.

Reyne

This is some more gold from the *No Book Spoilers thread;

Speaking of which, they didn't mention in the show that sending lame Lothar and Walder Rivers ( a bastard ) to treat with Robb was a deliberate insult from Lord Frey, as they did in the book, did they?

F!ReW!Re

Speaking of which, they didn't mention in the show that sending lame Lothar and Walder Rivers ( a bastard ) to treat with Robb was a deliberate insult from Lord Frey, as they did in the book, did they?

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I don't think they would mention that, it's gonna be information overload for people anyway as they already have to "memorize" 2 more characters that don't really play a huge part in the rest of GoT anyway....

This is some more gold from the *No Book Spoilers thread;

Why the hell is this being spoiled tagged? It's not even about a divergence from the books. Get these black bars out of here.

I can understand not wanting to be spoiled if there is some significant change, but discussion about stuff that is the same or almost the same as the books should not be in black bars.

Reyne

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I don't think they would mention that, it's gonna be information overload for people anyway as they already have to "memorize" 2 more characters that don't really play a huge part in the rest of GoT anyway....

Maybe, but one of the guys who treated with Robb was clearly lame. So mentioning that it was an insult would definitely help the average viewer to come to the conclusion that Frey isn't so happy. I mean, how else are they to know it was an insult? They will only see a guy limping and think no more of it.

Also, the I spoiler-tagg this because it is related to what they have shown in the series, which sort of diverges from the books in telling. If thats a problem, take it up with Aiii... :p

Aiii

So not worth it
C'mon. Can't we have one ASoIaF/GoT thread where everything is on the table, no spoiler tags needed?

I understand not everyone can see the show immediately, but it's really frustrating to deal with so many overly sensitive folks and so many arbitrary spoiler rules.

It's a small effort to put something in spoiler tags really, I don't see why my request is considered "overly sensitive" when I just like to go into an episode and be a bit surprised on how events unfold and who shows up where, etc. I wasn't even making a big deal out of it, just making a request.

I can understand that some people don't care if they know what happens, even when it's major stuff instead of minor stuff like here, but I just enjoy the show more when I don't know. It's not like this show has that much surprises left for a bookreader anyways, so I'll take what I can.

I'm sorry if this offends or inconveniences you or anyone else, that was clearly not my intend. If the thread decides it's fine to not use spoiler tags for the show in here I'm okay with that, I'll stay out of this thread as I do the show threads until I watch it.

It's a small effort to put something in spoiler tags really, I don't see why my request is considered "overly sensitive" when I just like to go into an episode and be a bit surprised on how events unfold and who shows up where, etc. I wasn't even making a big deal out of it, just making a request.

I can understand that some people don't care if they know what happens, even when it's major stuff instead of minor stuff like here, but I just enjoy the show more when I don't know. It's not like this show has that much surprises left for a bookreader anyways, so I'll take what I can.

I'm sorry if this offends or inconveniences you, that was clearly not my intend.

Don't read this thread until you've caught up if you are this sensitive. It's not like anything has been put in this thread that could really be considered a spoiler. The point of this thread is to have someplace free of that black bar madness.

I'm sorry if this offends or inconveniences you or anyone else, that was clearly not my intend. If the thread decides it's fine to not use spoiler tags for the show in here I'm okay with that, I'll stay out of this thread as I do the show threads until I watch it.

I apologize for coming across a wee bit snippy.

It's really just an ongoing frustration I have with all of these threads. I think the GoT spoiler thread should be exclusively for those who have caught up with the books - all of the books. We're trying to cater to everyone and I think it stifles discussion.

This is the one thread where everything is on the table, and I'd prefer that it stay that way.

My understanding (and preference) is that everything except for TWOW spoilers is fair game in here. I'm all for spoiler tags where appropriate, but this thread was created so we can avoid that in at least one place.

It's really just an ongoing frustration I have with all of these threads. I think the GoT spoiler thread should be exclusively for those who have caught up with the books - all of the books. We're trying to cater to everyone and I think it stifles discussion.
I think that's something worth looking at for next year's tv thread as more and more people finish up with the books. It made a lot of sense the first few years to still use tags, but it's starting to become more problematic as we move further along in the series.

I've probably come off too strong here. It's just that the GOT show spoiler thread is borderline unreadable with all the spoiler discussions, this thread should not become that. If this is really a problem, the lesser evil would just be to remove all HBO show talk from here and confine it to the actual show thread. But I don't see how any of it is necessary.

methodman

Banned
I feel like the TV show is going to start having spoilers that even we, as all-book readers, have no clue about. Gonna definitely be weird seeing these things for the first time on screen instead of reading them, lol

I apologize for coming across a wee bit snippy.

This is the one thread where everything is on the table, and I'd prefer that it stay that way.

Apart from preview chapters, right?

Reyne

I don't mind coming to a consensus regarding this whole spoiler situation. Perhaps we should put up a poll and be done with it?

Apart from preview chapters, right?

Yes. I'm fine with spoiler tags for WoW chapters.

I think that's something worth looking at for next year's tv thread as more and more people finish up with the books. It made a lot of sense the first few years to still use tags, but it's starting to become more problematic as we move further along in the series.

My preference would be to have an all-book spoilers "experts" thread (to borrow from AV Club) beginning next season.

By next year, it will have been three years since the show's debut. If the folks who have decided to read the books aren't caught up by then, I don't really know what to say to them.

My preference would be to have an all-book spoilers "experts" thread (to borrow from AV Club) beginning next season.

By next year, it will have been three years since the show's debut. If the folks who have decided to read the books aren't caught up by then, I don't really know what to say to them.
That sounds reasonable to me. We can bring it up again in the off season and see what other people think. No matter how we slice it, there are always going to be some caught in the middle that aren't happy about it, but I think something like that should work well for most people.

Having read them all, I'm watching the series with my wife, who has read nothing. She consistently asks questions about what's going to happen next, and I've just had to get up and walk out of the room. All that I've told her is that this will be an important season. Just watch and wait.

I think we have enough GoT threads (four if my count is correct: two for the show and two for the books). If someone doesn't want show spoilers in this thread they should just wait until they've caught up with the episode before posting here.

At the same time I don't think the new scenes have much of any relevance here. They strike me as filler material usually, although I guess last night might confirm (TWOW spoiler:)
Arya could leave Braavos with Justin Massey, and go to the Wall; that way she'll meet Melisandre again on the show

Pollux

stop spoiler tagging the show in this thread. If that bothers you don't come into the thread until after you've watched the episode. This is the unmarked spoilers thread for a fucking reason. Because we don't want to have to deal with walls of black text.

The only thing that will and should be spoiler tagged in this thread is discussion of the preview chapters for unreleased books and official comments from GRRM (or others in the know) about the plot of unreleased books. Those tags only need to be used up until the DAY OF RELEASE. After that it's fair game again.

deal with it.

lingiii

Banned
deal with it.

hear, hear.

I don't get worked up over spoilers on anything. Plus, selfishly, the tags make reading on iPad super inconvenient since you can't reveal the text :(

So anyway, I really liked the show's having Thoros and ole' Mel meet. It's good to be hearing reference to the Grand Red Priest Wizard or whatever he's called; the structure of the church of light is so thoroughly cloaked in the books it's hard to get a good read on them, except that they all give me the heebeejeebees.

Violater

Victarion I and Tyrion I
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.ph...-miscon-reading-two-winds-of-winter-chapters/

Barriston I and II
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/81338-twow-spoilers-barristan/#entry4122024

Arianne
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/

(a couple Theon chapters have been released but I don't see them on Martin's website)

In terms of chronology Martin has mentioned that the Mereen situation will be: Barriston I, Tyrion I, Victarion I, Barriston II.

Wait so
Pod might not be dead?

Dysun

What do you guys think about Joffrey ordering the hit on Tyrion during Blackwater on the TV Show? Always thought it was Cersei in the books, think the TV crew took a liberty with that (ala the bastards being executed) or that is what really happened?

So we can discuss freely here and not in the TV thread, do we think they're going overboard with Theon and Ramsay in the show? I mean, is it just gonna be flaying scene after flaying scene? I really hope it goes somewhere as interesting as the Reek chapters.

What do you guys think about Joffrey ordering the hit on Tyrion during Blackwater on the TV Show? Always thought it was Cersei in the books, think the TV crew took a liberty with that (ala the bastards being executed) or that is what really happened?

I don't think it's ever confirmed in the books, but I still think it was Cersei. The show has a way of giving Joffrey more of a role in what happens like Joffrey ordering the deaths of Robert's bastards rather than Cersei.

Wh0 N0se

So we can discuss freely here and not in the TV thread, do we think they're going overboard with Theon and Ramsay in the show? I mean, is it just gonna be flaying scene after flaying scene? I really hope it goes somewhere as interesting as the Reek chapters.
To me, the fact that they even have one is overboard, I liked it going through the books thinking, where's Theon? What happened to him? I guess they wanted to make sure they still had Alfie Allen for the season but I'm not a big fan of it, although I liked his line about his real father dying in king's Landing.

So I just realized that Lightbringer is English for Lucifer, a.k.a Satan.

Just sayin'.
Wow. Really?
Don't think it means anything but that's still pretty cool.

Crisco

Banned
So what do you guys think about the show marginalizing the Faceless Men/Many Faced God faith? I guess it means they don't really have much of a role in the overall story other than turning Arya into a cold blooded efficient murder machine.

Pollux

So what do you guys think about the show marginalizing the Faceless Men/Many Faced God faith? I guess it means they don't really have much of a role in the overall story other than turning Arya into a cold blooded efficient murder machine.

They haven't really marginalized them, IMO, they just don't really become a focal point for anything until Arya gets to Braavos.

Dysun

I love it, Ramsay is being set up as the next major villain and I dont feel like 3 minutes per episode is too much. Seems like people are a bit squeamish
This time period for Theon is supposed to be mortifying

Reyne

Mandon Moore came with Jon Arryn from the Vale. It is also possible that he was Littlefingers catspawn. Yes, it was as botched a job as sending a rogue after Bran with a valyrian knife straight out of king Roberts armory, which we know Joffrey was behind. However, such a scenario can also play into Littlefingers hand, if we assume Moore was commanded indirectly, by sowing more distrust between the Lannisters. If Tyrion dies, whatever. LF had no reason to like his recent influence. If Tyrion lives, he will immediately suspect the royals, Cersei or Joffrey. Littlefinger thrives on chaos after all.

Violater

I think showing just how cruel Ramsey can be is pretty important to the developments of ADWD and it shows rightly why Theon was scared shitless of him.
I can't wait for Theon to slip up and call him Snow.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So Azor Ahai's sword is the devil and the Others are the good guys.

Elementary!
Joking apart, it lends credence to many characters' belief that, while the Red God's power is real and has a hint of good in it (just as Lucifer - a fallen angel, God's best servant - is supposed to have real power), it is actually evil.

Wow. Really?
Don't think it means anything but that's still pretty cool.

Yup, comes from Latin. Luci comes from lux, which you might know from 'fiat lux' ('let there be light'), and fer comes from 'ferre' ('to carry').

I think showing just how cruel Ramsey can be is pretty important to the developments of ADWD and it shows rightly why Theon was scared shitless of him.

Oh man. I didn't even think of this. Yikes.

And yeah, I'm not saying last night's was too much, just that I hope they have more planned for that pair of characters than "ok, time to chop THIS finger off now".

Wh0 N0se

But imagine watching Season 4/5 and having not seen Theon since Season 2 you see him with all his scars and lack of fingers and out of his mind and then you realise that Ramsay did it.

Violater

But imagine watching Season 4/5 and having not seen Theon since Season 2 you see him with all his scars and lack of fingers and out of his mind and then you realise that Ramsay did it.

I think non book readers will just be even more confused, lol.
I's fine I have the best of both worlds, the surprises that the books gave and the show filling in random parts.

Wh0 N0se

I think non book readers will just be even more confused, lol.
I's fine I have the best of both worlds, the surprises that the books gave and the show filling in random parts.

Yeah I guess, but I do think that TV sometimes underestimates the viewers intellect.

Violater

Yeah I guess, but I do think that TV sometimes underestimates the viewers intellect.

Naa most of my friends watching right now are either still mad that Eddard is dead, sad they don't get to lust over Drogo anymore or are getting the story spoiled by random people on FB. It's not that viewers aren't smart, just not everyone is as invested in following the little character snippets they get each week.
There really should be a min of 18-20 episodes per season. :p

rar

the more scenes with alfie allen, the better

he is far and away the best of the young-ish actors on the show. it would be a shame to not use him for 2 seasons

Wh0 N0se

Naa most of my friends watching right now are either still mad that Eddard is dead, sad they don't get to lust over Drogo anymore or are getting the story spoiled by random people on FB. It's not that viewers aren't smart, just not everyone is as invested in following the little character snippets they get each week.
There really should be a min of 18-20 episodes per season. :p
I mean in the sense that they wouldn't realise who he is after not seeing him for a season.

the more scenes with alfie allen, the better

he is far and away the best of the young-ish actors on the show. it would be a shame to not use him for 2 seasons

Yeah, he's really good, I really enjoyed his season 2 work, hopefully we get to see ADWD so we can see him do Reek's stuff, that'll be interesting to watch.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

It's just not practical to go 2+ years without a character on a TV show. What if the actor gets another job and won't be available after that time? Then you'd have to replace him and that is always a mess.

hemtae

Speaking of replacing actors, I'm not sure what they're going to do with the young actors particularly Bran. He's definitely looking older and not much will happen that involves him for awhile.

kirblar

Speaking of replacing actors, I'm not sure what they're going to do with the young actors particularly Bran. He's definitely looking older and not much will happen that involves him for awhile.
Luckily, they can just "waist up" him for everything. Not a great solution, but it is what it is.

Rickon might need to be re-cast at some point though.

The average life expectancy for males in the US is like 75, so, once again accounting for his weight, really, it's not even that far fetched. It's why it keeps coming up.

from a few pages back but...

the life expectancy for a male at birth is 75. the life expectancy for a man who is already 64 is another 18 years, so 82. conditional probability. that should be enough time for two or three more books.

flyover

That moment where Bran is taller than Hodor!

Shit, the way Sophie Turner is growing, she'll be playing The Mountain next season.

(Actually, her being so tall is kind of great in how it exaggerates the awkward contrast between her and Tyrion, and in how it makes Littlefinger seem shorter.)

the life expectancy for a male at birth is 75. the life expectancy for a man who is already 64 is another 18 years, so 82. conditional probability. that should be enough time for two or three more books.

Yeah, I think it's silly to worry about Martin dying before the books are done. A better question would be whether you think he can be the same writer at 70 or 75 that he was at 45 or 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom