• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Yes, but the preview did a great job of making people think it's a big war, not a massacre.

You're right, just checked it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69FD2bp71E4 :lol at the first comment.

O3D802d.gif

Amazing.

tumblr_me3rl6S4aC1rbmruro1_500.gif

Based on the new viewer thread...no one expects what's going to happen. That strikes me as a good and bad thing. It's good they haven't been spoiled, but also highlights how poorly the show has set up tonight's events. I have a feeling many people will complain about it being random or out of nowhere. There has been little to no discussion of the Freys or their power, or how upset they were.

They left Robb's army sure, but a new viewer wouldn't know how many men they had until that episode where Robb decides to attack the Rock. I had hoped we'd get some battle strategy scenes, like in S1 in Tywin's camp. Instead it's just Robb moving pieces on a board as his wife distracts him, in multiple episodes. Come on.

And you never see how loved he was among his men. Sigh..

Moff

It came out of nowhere for me when I read the book, but I am surely not as an attentive reader as others.
I also kind of cant really judge if they failed or succeeded in the portrayal of robb. I obviously see him and his campaign in the show with completely different eyes than the show watchers.

and last but not least, neds death and robbs death ARE completely different in the book. neds death was terrible, but I immediately recognised it as a clever twist. robbs death was nothing like that in the books, GRRM simply destroyed the souls of the readers by removing the only honorable family from the war completely. I literally felt sick

I am very excited though how the show watchers react, maybe it does indeed work differently on tv and maybe they really failed to do it right, we'll see. at least the wedding itself was set up nicely over the course of several episodes

fanboi

Banned
Based on the new viewer thread...no one expects what's going to happen. That strikes me as a good and bad thing. It's good they haven't been spoiled, but also highlights how poorly the show has set up tonight's events. I have a feeling many people will complain about it being random or out of nowhere. There has been little to no discussion of the Freys or their power, or how upset they were.

They left Robb's army sure, but a new viewer wouldn't know how many men they had until that episode where Robb decides to attack the Rock. I had hoped we'd get some battle strategy scenes, like in S1 in Tywin's camp. Instead it's just Robb moving pieces on a board as his wife distracts him, in multiple episodes. Come on.

And you never see how loved he was among his men. Sigh..

I see your point, but in the books the signs where (for me at least) very sublime to non existent.

TV showers can recall how Frey was when they wanted to cross the twins... and then tricked him.

I see your point, but in the books the signs where (for me at least) very sublime to non existent.

TV showers can recall how Frey was when they wanted to cross the twins... and then tricked him.

TV viewers probably won't remember that scene from over 2 years ago.

It's been brought up this season that Robb fucked over Walder Frey and he's rather prickly about it, and the negotiation for Edmure's wedding was only a couple of weeks ago. It's obviously brought up more often in the books but the relationship is the same, *and* the red wedding chapter still came out of fucking nowhere. I was worried it would end up being thuddingly obvious that something terrible was going to happen at the wedding, if they kept harping on how sketchy and easily offended Walder Frey was *and* scheduled it for the penultimate episode, but they seem to have pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.

Also the synopsis writer for this week deserves an Emmy:

Robb presents himself to Walder Frey, and Edmure meets his bride. Jon faces his harshest test yet. Bran discovers a new gift. Daario and Jorah debate how to take Yunkai. House Frey joins with House Tully.

The guest right thing hasn't been brought up that much in the show either

No, although that only emphasizes the magnitude of the betrayal, it doesn't really establish the betrayal itself. It's also something that might seem conspicuous if it was brought up a lot beforehand.

I would've thought that'd be something brought up in this episode. Catelyn reminds him to do it, says something about taking no chances with this bitter old man, then Robb brushes it off maybe with a bit of arrogance to highlight that it was because of a lack of respect that Frey betrayed him.

Betty

Banned
I want to tell my friends and family "Stay off the internet!" in case of spoilers about tonight's episode, but then realize they'll basically know something big will be going down if I do.

Don't forget that in the UK we get it on Monday so there will be a second wave of people seeing the RW!!!

*Evil Face*

Usually I'd wait until I've seen it to browse the threads and see what people though of it, but I'll probably just read the thread tomorrow morning for the lolz.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ah, that's odd, I thought he was usually cool about that. I checked the non-reader thread and saw nothing. Maybe in the tagged book spoiler thread I guess, I haven't dared check that thread again since leaked stuff started to pop up. I have that plugin installed that automatically shows spoilers cause normally all those black bars drive me crazy, but for cases like that it's probably best that I stay away instead of trying to scroll past them. xD

I know a few people were banned in the NO BOOK thread in the past week for being idiots and trying to spoil this episode, but I don't know if he was one of them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
exyle: Oh, thanks. Well deserved, then. What a dick, joke or not, come on...

Sorry for the derail. ^^

Regarding tonight's episode, I am really, really enjoying the non-reader thread at the moment. One guy trying to link the lyrics of The Rains of Castamere to Jon Snow, another saying "oh it's another ordinary character development episode", etc.

l.jpg

I wonder if we will ever get to the point where the show is ahead and the book readers who wish to read the books first are the ones running scared from spoilers.

Doubt it though.

Massa

I wonder if we will ever get to the point where the show is ahead and the book readers who wish to read the books first are the ones running scared from spoilers.

Doubt it though.

No question about it at this point. They'll end the show in 7 or 8 seasons, with or without the books.

CassSept

This is going to be biblical, really. Most of my excitement towards this episode is to read all the reactions. Daaamn. I'm all giddy with excitement.

My brother has watched the series on Blu-ray, so he hasn't seen anything past the season two finale, but his favorite character is Robb. I hope he doesn't get spoiled before be finally gets caught up, but it'll be hard to avoid, I'm sure.

I want to watch it with him and see his reaction, haha!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

To be fair, the guest right thing was a Chekov's Gun the moment it was brought up. It exists solely to be broken, so bringing it up in this context would mean little other than making it obvious what's going to occur.

CassSept

To be fair, the guest right thing was a Chekov's Gun the moment it was brought up. It exists solely to be broken, so bringing it up in this context would mean little other than making it obvious what's going to occur.

That somewhat depends on where you come from. From wikipedia I'm seeing this is mostly a tradition in central and eastern Europe, so I just shrugged it off as something completely non-consequential, but I see how readers from western Europe and the US might had found it weird.

Wh0 N0se

I had a (green)dream where I read on this very forum, that Martin announced that Winds is coming out in late 2015/early 2016...

If I've learned anything from ASOIAF it's that prophecies are almost always 100% correct and if you've dreamt that then it's definitely true.

Jayof9s

If I've learned anything from ASOIAF it's that prophecies are almost always 100% correct and if you've dreamt that then it's definitely true.

Unfortunately prophecies are very open to interpretation. His prophecy saw Martin mentioning the release of a book. And like Melisandre thinking Stannis is Azor Ahai reborn (and probably being wrong, because she's so good at being wrong) what ZeroRay actually saw was the release of the Adventures of Hot Pie. Which greatly details Hot Pie's life as an assistant cook for that random Inn he ended up at and covers in great detail everything he cooks and eats daily during the events after ASOS. All in a concise 433 pages.

exYle

Unfortunately prophecies are very open to interpretation. His prophecy saw Martin mentioning the release of a book. And like Melisandre thinking Stannis is Azor Ahai reborn (and probably being wrong, because she's so good at being wrong) what ZeroRay actually saw was the release of the Adventures of Hot Pie. Which greatly details Hot Pie's life as an assistant cook for that random Inn he ended up at and covers in great detail everything he cooks and eats daily during the events after ASOS. All in a concise 433 pages.

If anything, when he says he dreamt of Martin announcing that "Winds" in coming out late 2015/2016, all he probably predicted that Martin is going to fart several times during that timeframe.

Wh0 N0se

I can't wait!! :p

The one thing I hate about prophecies in books is how they're always true.

What about Mirri Mas Duur's prophecy to Dany about her son being the Stallion Who Mounts the World? That one sure as hell didn't come to pass.

Unless of course there are fan theories out there which say otherwise. I'm not too familiar with all the crazy theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom