• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Dothraki believe that your soul can't go into the afterlife unless their body is burned. They also believe that Ghost Grass from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai will eventually end the world. Doesn't this sound influenced by the Others? Is it possible that the Others came from the east and not the north?

Jon says he thinks the First Men were running from them when they got to the fist, but the First Men originated from across the narrow sea. Wouldn't they just run back south if they were trying to escape? What if the first men let the others chase them into the shithole north and setup the wall and spells behind them so the others were trapped? Why are the Thenns, the most northern people, the ones who consider themselves the last of the First Men instead of the Dornish?

It just seems like all the mystical shit comes from Asshai and beyond.

Reyne

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";67880801]
It just seems like all the mystical shit comes from Asshai and beyond.[/QUOTE]

To go north, you must journey south, to reach the west you must go east. To go forward you must go back and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow

Well, obviously the world is round. It is possible that what lies beyond the north is connected ( the landmass ) to the far east of Assahai, in which case the go east and south to reach west and north makes sense.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
To go north, you must journey south, to reach the west you must go east. To go forward you must go back and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow

Well, obviously the world is round. It is possible that what lies beyond the north is connected ( the landmass ) to the far east of Assahai, in which case the go east and south to reach west and north makes sense.

That would mean that the landmass of the world is diagonal and if you go far enough past the Wall, you'll end up in Qarth? Sounds crazy, but then again those two areas are the only unrevealed parts of the map left.

Reyne

That would mean that the landmass of the world is diagonal and if you go far enough past the Wall, you'll end up in Qarth? Sounds crazy, but then again those two areas are the only unrevealed parts of the map left.

Well maybe. If we assume their world is as large as our, then the distance involved would be something akin to going from Europe to Patagonia. Across Asia, over the Bering Strait ( which has been accessible at times ) all the way down Americas. So the continents ( if they exist ) between Westeros and Essos doesn't have to be massive, just connected.

As for Dany, maybe she'll just ride on the back of her dragons to Asshai, burn it to the ground and then fly east and south over a massive ocean until she reaches the wall >_>

Reyne

And in other news, Martin will be attending the San Diego comicon, obviously. He'll be there for the GoT panel and that's it... No readings and I doubt he'll answer any questions any differently than he has before. Basically there for the signing. And then some more signings.

And the exciting times for book fans continues.

Unlucky

An interesting thought. The Undying Ones of Qarth share some similarities with the Others; maybe a few of them found their way there and adapted, or had offspring with humans?

And in other news, Martin will be attending the San Diego comicon, obviously. He'll be there for the GoT panel and that's it... No readings and I doubt he'll answer any questions any differently than he has before. Basically there for the signing. And then some more signings.

And the exciting times for book fans continues.
He's always going to attend Comic Con, I can't begrudge him of that. In terms of questions I blame the audience: how many times is he asked "so, who is your favorite character?" lol. Also another bad thing about cons is that they're focused on the show, but sometimes a book question is asked and Martin can't go into much detail due to spoilers.

Plus iirc this is one of his first big events in recent months, so he has had time to write.

I'm on the last of the three Tales of Dunk & Egg and then I intend to read the tWoW preview chapters but...Then what? For over a year I've been reading aSoIaF before bed but I will soon be out of material. What am I going to do guys???

Reyne

He's always going to attend Comic Con, I can't begrudge him of that. In terms of questions I blame the audience: how many times is he asked "so, who is your favorite character?" lol. Also another bad thing about cons is that they're focused on the show, but sometimes a book question is asked and Martin can't go into much detail due to spoilers.

Plus iirc this is one of his first big events in recent months, so he has had time to write.

Oh, I don't begrudge him... much. Well, he has been pretty low-key for a while now, so I guess that's good.

And yeah, because the panel he is attending is show-oriented there won't be a chance to answer questions for the book readers. But oh well, I guess we can hope for an accidental slip or something...

I'm on the last of the three Tales of Dunk & Egg and then I intend to read the tWoW preview chapters but...Then what? For over a year I've been reading aSoIaF before bed but I will soon be out of material. What am I going to do guys???

Waiting is coming. And its a long, cold and cruel waiting...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I read A Storm of Swords thirteen years ago, so I waited 5 years for AFFC and 6 years for ADWD. So pardon me while I play the world's tiniest violin for you. xD

Tacitus_

You're going to sit down with us and we're going to have a nice chat how Varys is really a merling, how Benjen is Daario and how Tyrion, Jaime and Cersei are actually secret Targaryens.
It'll be grand.

The second read through of the series is amazing when you pick up on all of the hints for stuff multiple books in advance, and look at everything from a new perspective. Take a little break, but you should absolutely read the books a second time.

Wh0 N0se

The second read through of the series is amazing when you pick up on all of the hints for stuff multiple books in advance, and look at everything from a new perspective. Take a little break, but you should absolutely read the books a second time.

Then you can do a third read through... and then a fourth...

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Now you're in the north...the REAL north.

Jayof9s

Yeah, I'm mostly through with my 2nd read through and it is a very different experience since I actually recognize a lot of the banner men/minor characters that only receive offhand mentions early on but then either continue to show up later, but so spread out and as such minor characters it is easy to miss that it is one person across 5 books and then there are the characters that are mentioned but not important / memorable until later.

And then there are all the prophecies / visions / dreams that make a whole lot more sense when read after knowing what happens later and I've been catching a lot of things I never really noticed the first time through.

Like Coldhands feeding Bran and co some dead rangers and claiming it was a pig in Bran's (first?) chapter in DWD.

Not sure if you all heard that the short story "She-Wolves" part of Dunk and Egg (Dunk and Egg Novella #4) is actually not coming out with "Dangerous Women" anthology set to be released this December. I'm really bummed about that, but some good news -- instead "The Princess and the Queen," a short narrative about "the dance of the dragons" war/fight from ~160 years before a Game of Thrones is to be included.

I guess it's okay news, but kind of a bummer, I really love the Dunk & Egg stories. Even named my dog Duncan.

Wh0 N0se

I think someone has said before but it's definitely worth saying again in case people missed it.

I haven't read any of them yet, was really hoping the 4th would come out and then the collection of all 4 would be released in one book.

Oh well, I can wait for it, got to wait for TWOW anyway!

EDIT: Woop, I'm FINALLY a member :)
(Sorry for boring you with 250+ posts in this thread most likely!)

Here's one for you guys...I know there is speculation that Aegon (aDwD) may actually be a Blackfyre. Where does that speculation come from?

http://grrm.livejournal.com/327935.html

Dunk and Egg Return to Comics

Big news in the world of comic books today!

The graphic novels of the first two Dunk & Egg adventures, THE HEDGE KNIGHT and THE SWORN SWORD, have been unavailable for several years, ever since the Marvel Comics editions went out of print. During that time, the prices for those books have steadily risen in the collector’s market, and I’ve received numerous emails from readers begging me to get them back in print.

Their wish is about to be granted.

Today, in Seattle, Amazon Publishing formally announced the launch of JET CITY COMICS, a new publishing imprint focused on producing comics and graphic novels in both electronic and paper formats. Jet City will be launching with titles from Hugh Howey (bestselling author of WOOL), Hugo-award winning novelist Neal Stephenson… and me.

First up (from me) will be MEATHOUSE MAN, the graphic novel, based on the most twisted and disturbing story I ever wrote, wonderfully adapted, penciled, inked, and colored by the amazing Raya Golden. That’s scheduled for release in October

Dunk and Egg will follow. Jet City will be putting both THE HEDGE KNIGHT and THE SWORN SWORD back into print. . . and releasing ebook versions for the Kindle, making both titles available electronically for the first time.

New Jet City issues will publish on Kindle as standalone comics, as serialized comics released over multiple episodes, and as bundled graphic novels, with print editions available at amazon.com and other comics retailers.

According to Amazon’s official press release, Jet City will publish the following comics in 2013:

• An original comic adaptation of George R.R. Martin’s story “Meathouse Man,” illustrated by Raya Golden, and a re-release of “The Hedge Knight” by Ben Avery and Mike S. Miller, a prequel set in the universe of Martin’s best-selling A Song of Ice and Fire epic fantasy series (the inspiration for the hit HBO program Game of Thrones). “Meathouse Man” will be released as a single issue comic in digital format in October 2013; “The Hedge Knight” will be released as a collected graphic novel in print and digital formats in November 2013; and its sequel, “The Sworn Sword,” will follow in early 2014.

• An adaptation of Hugh Howey’s bestselling dystopian novel Wool by comics veterans Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray, and illustrator Jimmy Broxton, where the remnants of humanity live in a massive silo hundreds of stories below the surface of the ruined and toxic landscape of Earth. Wool was a #1 bestseller in the Kindle store and is one of the most-reviewed science fiction novels on Amazon, with almost 6,000 customer reviews. It will be released as a Kindle Serial, as six individual comics issues starting in October 2013, followed by a collected graphic novel in 2014.

• Six original comics from The Foreworld Saga, the bestselling alternate history series that began with The Mongoliad (a serialized novel collaboratively written by a team of authors led by Neal Stephenson, Greg Bear, and Mark Teppo). The first Foreworld comic, “Symposium #1” by author Christian Cameron and Illustrator Dmitry Bondarenko, details the origins of the Shield-Brethren in Ancient Greece in the days following Athens crushing defeat to Sparta in 394 BC. It goes on-sale today, with new installments releasing monthly before being collected in a series of graphic novels in 2014.

In the official press release, Alex Carr, Senior Editor at Jet City, says, “It’s a dream to work with superstar authors like George, Hugh and Neal on the launch of a new imprint. Millions of fans have read and loved their novels, and with Jet City we look forward to opening up these iconic worlds to new audiences. We’re working with an incredible, hand-picked team of comics professionals, writers, artists, and translators, who have done an amazing job developing and expanding these inventive stories. I’m looking forward to the response from comics readers and fans.”

“Comics and graphic novels, especially in digital format, represent a unique area for innovation,” said Jeff Belle, Vice President of Amazon Publishing. “Our focus will be on adapting great books for this medium as a means of expanding the audience for our authors, pushing boundaries with new ideas that combine visual and narrative storytelling, and creating compelling new experiences for readers.”

I’m excited to be published by Jet City, and delighted that they will be putting THE HEDGE KNIGHT and THE SWORN SWORD back into print, for all those fans who have been asking for them.

“Ah, but what about THE MYSTERY KNIGHT? “ I hear you asking. The third Dunk and Egg novella, originally published in my anthology WARRIORS, has not yet been adapted to comics.

But that’s about to change. I’m delighted to say we’ve put the old gang back together. Dunk and Egg are returning to comics. Ben Avery will be scripting, and Mike S. Miller will once again be doing the art. This time it will be Random House, the publisher of the SONG OF ICE & FIRE novels and the on-going GAME OF THRONES graphic novel adaptations, doing the book.

With Jet City and Random House behind them, Dunk and Egg could not be in better hands.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
“Ah, but what about THE MYSTERY KNIGHT? “ I hear you asking. The third Dunk and Egg novella, originally published in my anthology WARRIORS, has not yet been adapted to comics.

But that’s about to change. I’m delighted to say we’ve put the old gang back together. Dunk and Egg are returning to comics. Ben Avery will be scripting, and Mike S. Miller will once again be doing the art.

Woohoo! Been waiting for that. Can't wait to see
Bloodraven
in coloured ink.

What IS this? I can't tell. Is it just fanfic?

It's the most comprehensive, crazy look at the "Great Northern Conspiracy," concerning my favorite aspect of ADWD: the Hooded Man, the author of the Pink Letter, and what seems like an imminent northern plot to revolt against the Boltons inside and outside of Winterfell's walls.

I not sure I agree with everything in it (specifically who he believes wrote the Pink Letter) but it's a pretty awesome analysis of the north, if you're into that type of stuff. Very little "tin foil" leaps in logic, due to every conclusion being backed up by extensive quotes from the books.

After the Starks are gone, in exile or in the grave, George Martin's Song of Ice and Fire brings us back to Winterfell for a story of tension and confinement. Only four chapters starting with a wedding and ending with an escape.

The drama involves what are, after all, secondary characters, largely untouched by our emotional attachment. We hardly recognize the family home where the story started. Nevertheless, we watch events unfold with the vague hope that some justice will be restored.

Our witness, our mediator, is a broken man, deeply tormented by guilt, deranged by psychological and physical torture, and little invested in the events around him. All this makes for a queer reading, uncharacteristic of what we see in the other parts of the story.

And little seems to happen. As our eyes expect a resolution, our minds are only left with an enigmatic letter received at the Wall.

This poor reader fell into the psychological trap of feeling challenged by the letter. One observation led to another, and I found myself having written fifteen thousand words, and still feeling superficial. So I embarked in a study of the whole Winterfell huis clos in the hope I wouldn't feel compelled to enlarge the scope of investigation to the whole series of books.

The investigation can not be summarized shortly. I have included here all my thinking, and discoveries, great and small, and many detours.

Chuckie

Never paid attention to any of the stuff outside the books until literally just now, but the art from that calender is nice. Bloodraven looks nuts :D

Not freaky enough in my opinion. Should be more part of the tree in my mind haha.

Throne is ridiculously awesome though!

apana

The more I think about it, the more I finally have come to accept the fact that there is no way George finishes this in 7 books. It will require 8 books even if he was to go back to the pace of the first three books and just focus on the plot instead of having the characters waste time. To be honest I have no problem with this, I love the idea of living with these characters for a longer time and letting the story be concluded properly. The only issue is his age and despite what anyone says it is a big issue.

The Winds of Winter

A Time for Wolves

A Dream of Spring

I could see 7 being enough. TWOW sounds like it's going to be a giant bloodbath, and will resolve two of the biggest pending plot points early: the Mereen battle and the Winterfell battle. The resolutions of both will reset the board: Dany (well technically Barriston, Victarion, and Tyrion) defeating the might of Essos, and the end of Lannister rule (through the Boltons) in the north. Obviously, I'm assuming Dany's allies win in Mereen and Stannis wins in the north, but I'm rather confident overall. I think the question will be "what is the cost." For instance if the dragons nuke the battlefield, or if the pale mare completely overtakes Mereen; meanwhile if Stannis were to actually die while winning Winterfell.

How Sansa/Littlefinger, Euron, Sam/Pate/Citadel, etc play into this remains to be seen, but I think the pieces will be set for the end game before TWOW's half way point.

Then you have Aegon in the south. Apparently Martin said he re-wrote some of TWOW to include the Storm's End fight being seen first hand, and if you've read the preview chapters you know (TWOW spoiler:)
Connington and Aegon capture Storm's End, and Randyll Tarly is leading a large host to re-take it.
I think the resolution of all that will impact King's Landing rather quickly.

IMO as long as Dany is on her way to Westeros at the end of TWOW, 7 books is enough. I don't expect every loose end to be tied up, but I think the major stuff like the Others will be wrapped up.

ZeroRay

Since The World of Ice and Fire got delayed to late 2014, you guys think there's a chance of both books being released at the same time?

Would be sick to have two 250k+ ASOIAF books to read on Christmas.

Wh0 N0se

So apparently 2 years ago today was when ADWD was officially released, how's everyone doing waiting for TWOW?

It's gone by pretty quickly for me, I guess the TV show has helped because there's something to look forward to each year.

Atruvius

So apparently 2 years ago today was when ADWD was officially released, how's everyone doing waiting for TWOW?

It's gone by pretty quickly for me, I guess the TV show has helped because there's something to look forward to each year.

Fortunately I started reading the books two years ago, when ADWD released. And am reading the series for the third time right now, reading AFFC and ADWD at the same time. So my wait for a new book has been rather short compared to many. :p

Not really bad for me. Two years, or three, isn't such a big deal.

AFFC was in hardcover when I started, and by the time ADWD came out I was pretty darned antsy, though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've waited for almost half my lifespan for TWoW, since I read ASoS in 2000 when it came out. So, I'm one of those who have no compassion for the newbie readers who complain about the wait. :D

Reyne

hgBEEhl.gif

In all seriousness, these past two years went by quite quickly. Been hounded by studies though I did manage to cram in a re-read just after I finished ADWD and another one in late 2012. Will probably give the books a rest until I know when TWOW is coming. Also, the theories, speculation and discussion that came after ADWD has been pretty spectacular to witness.

Oh and then there is the TV series of course... though I must admit that I don't follow it with that much awe.

Hobobloke

I remember the day I bought the first book was the same day I went to buy Dark Souls after it's release so I've also been spared a long wait.

I am worried that my life may have peaked early with that day though.

Dysun

The TV show makes the waiting bearable for me. If not I would be dying, and I'm a newbie to the books. (Post TV introduction)

I still have the last Dunk and Egg to read in case of emergencies.

TV helps. I find myself constantly checking Westoros' forums, reading through the site's features (including Q&As Martin did with fans going back to 1996 lol), and even checking the ASOIAF Reddit (and I hate Reddit).

I might want to see the alleged Bolton massacre in Winterfell more than just about anything ever in the series. Sure I want Walder Frey to die, but the thought of the Boltons being betrayed within Winterfell is amazing to me.

Finished the third Tale of Dunk & Egg last night. So it's the Winds of Winter preview chapters then...I've got nothing. Depressing thought. Anyway, the Tales of Dunk & Egg have been extremely entertaining. Great characters and some interesting looks into the past.

Chuckie

Finished the third Tale of Dunk & Egg last night. So it's the Winds of Winter preview chapters then...I've got nothing. Depressing thought. Anyway, the Tales of Dunk & Egg have been extremely entertaining. Great characters and some interesting looks into the past.

I only read the first one, so two to go. I also haven't read TWOW preview chapters...are they on GRRM's site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom