• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing this series getting so popular on TV just makes me want a Wheel of Time TV series even more.

Books 1-7 would be just purely epic. Finally a series that does not feel sorry for wanting to do magic. They do magic for everything! Books 8-10 could be skipped entirely, or barely have some points mentioned ( ok there is a major event in there ), books 11-13 would again be insanely epic.

Pretty much, yeah. It would be a huge curveball if it wasn't.

Now the question is how to get Sandor down there to fight him...

While this could be epic, I kinda hope it doesn't happen...if Sandor truly is living at Quiet Isle, I hope he stays there and finds some measure of peace for the rest of his life. Having him fight Robert Strong could be epic, but it wouldn't even necessarily be satisfying, since as far as we know there's possibly nothing left of Gregor in that reanimated corpse.

And Sandor would probably be completely destroyed by Strong, which would be sad.

Gestahl

I wouldn't list it as one of the worst stuff. It's definitely a stupid move on her part, but it definitely made for a more interesting (FUBAR) situation on the continent.

I found Cersei's chapters are some of the most interesting in Feast depending on how fast you figure out how delusionally stupid she is. Understanding that she's super incompetent gives the reader the impetus to translate and interpret her every conversation and decision under the light of "what kind of catastrophe will this create" which I found really accentuated the enjoyability of being inside a very dumb, very paranoid, very delusional woman's head.

Aurane Waters getting his King's Fleet and then fucking off to become the Pirate King was amazing.

chiQ

While this could be epic, I kinda hope it doesn't happen...if Sandor truly is living at Quiet Isle, I hope he stays there and finds some measure of peace for the rest of his life. Having him fight Robert Strong could be epic, but it wouldn't even necessarily be satisfying, since as far as we know there's possibly nothing left of Gregor in that reanimated corpse.

And Sandor would probably be completely destroyed by Strong, which would be sad.

This. I really like the idea that Sandor has come to a good place. He always seemed like a pussycat trying too hard to be a complete arsehole to me, so it would be nice to see him getting to chill out for the rest of his life. I certainly don't want him getting destroyed.

I found Cersei's chapters are some of the most interesting in Feast depending on how fast you figure out how delusionally stupid she is. Understanding that she's super incompetent gives the reader the impetus to translate and interpret her every conversation and decision under the light of "what kind of catastrophe will this create" which I found really accentuated the enjoyability of being inside a very dumb, very paranoid, very delusional woman's head.

This. Having an inkling of how counterproductive and self-destructive she is made reading about her spiral downward really interesting.

Pretty much, yeah. It would be a huge curveball if it wasn't.

Now the question is how to get Sandor down there to fight him...

Why does it have to be Sandor fighting him? Why not Brienne in Sandor's armor? Would be the perfect set-up for another depressing scene if Brienne were to lose while Jaime watches after they somehow negotiate their way out of the lady stoneheart situation.

Why does it have to be Sandor fighting him? Why not Brienne in Sandor's armor? Would be the perfect set-up for another depressing scene if Brienne were to lose while Jaime watches after they somehow negotiate their way out of the lady stoneheart situation.

I wouldn't mind seeing Brienne do it, but she can't lose

I can't take it if fucking Gregor wins a match like that again :(

I wouldn't mind seeing Brienne do it, but she can't lose

I can't take it if fucking Gregor wins a match like that again :(
Brienne and Jaime are my favorite characters in this series but from a story-telling perspective it makes for a well meaning chain of events:

- Jaime and Brienne are let go by Cat on the condition that they are involved in Queen Cersei's demise (Jaime knows that Cersei is on trial)
- Brienne fights in the hound's armor (which conveniently the brotherhood has)
- Brienne loses, killed by Robert Strong while Jaime watches
- Cersei gloats her win
- In response to frustration of Brienne's death and anger with Cersei, Jaime confesses in front of the arena audience his and cersei's affair.
- Jaime and Cersei are executed together.

Iksenpets

Banned
that's a nice point I didn't find. it really could be like that, but for which reasons mance would try to lure out Jon snow? and how could he know Ramsay and his scary attitudes?

I figured that it's not so much Jon that Mance wants. He knows Jon wouldn't be able to attack Winterfell with Watch men alone, if any Watch men would even agree to come, and so he would have to being a Wildling force. I think Mance wants Jon to bring his army back to him. For what, I don't know.

That's just a theory though. Ramsay bluffing to try to get Jon to surrender Stannis' family so he can use them as a bargaining chip, or Ramsay being deceived by Stannis and Manderly are equally likely.

Currently on chapter 43 of ADWD. Finding it much improved overall compared to AFFC in terms of not being tempted to skip chapters out of boredom.

Predictions I have currently:

Azor Ahai I think is the same thing as the prince that was promised. I agree with Measter Aemon that Stannis isn't Azor reborn. I also am not convinced it is Daenerys, Jon, or Aegon VI. Instead, I think that Azor Ahai has been reborn into the latter 3. All three are necessary to defeat The Great Other and prevent the night that will not end.

Jon Snow is the child of Lyanna and Rheager. He has Targaryen blood which is why he can satisfy the above prophecy. Melisandre thinks it is Stannis because he has Targ blood on his mother's side, but that's bullshit.

I predict Jon will lose Longclaw but gain Lightbringer.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Dany's been burned as well though. Martin has said that her surviving the dragon hatching unharmed was a one-off. Jon could conceivably get the same thing. Or maybe they'll freeze his corpse in the ice cells and it will be undamaged by the cold, as the icy counterpart to Dany's experience.

Dany's been burned as well though. Martin has said that her surviving the dragon hatching unharmed was a one-off. Jon could conceivably get the same thing. Or maybe they'll freeze his corpse in the ice cells and it will be undamaged by the cold, as the icy counterpart to Dany's experience.

When was Dany ever burned? Her hair was burnt off at one point, but never her skin as far as I remember.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
When was Dany ever burned? Her hair was burnt off at one point, but never her skin as far as I remember.

She wasn't again. Some people mentioned her surviving the flame blast from Drogon, but it seems like she just ducked under in time.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
She wasn't again. Some people mentioned her surviving the flame blast from Drogon, but it seems like she just ducked under in time.
No, Drogo definitely burned her.

Opening of her last ADWD chapter said:
Her skin was pink and tender, and a pale milky fluid was leaking from her cracked palms, but her burns were healing.

It'll be even better when that's the fleet that brings Dany to Westeros
Cersei notes he looks like Rhaegar. It would be very interesting if he shows up in Mereen.

I think Jon will be frozen for most of TWOW, but the again I could see Melisandre wanting to burn him quickly. The chaos after his death will likely delay things though. How can the NW deal with the Wildlings though? They're vastly outnumbered and it sure as hell seemed like they were about to follow Jon to Winterfell; Tormund will probably be pissed.

It would be crazy if some Others show up mere moments after the stabbing. Tormund or Melisandre could have Jon moved to the ice cell so he doesn't turn into a wight.

Just finished ADWD. Shit is going to get seriously messed up. I want more now :(

Dislike that I have to wait until 2018 or later to see the Starks come back some how and Jon...... :( :( :( :(

I hope the paperback has the Damphair chapter Martin kept trying to read, but no one wanted him to lol. He said some crazy things happen in it.

More than likely it'll be an old Tyrion chapter, but at least we'll get to read it instead of rely on second hand descriptions.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just finished ADWD. Shit is going to get seriously messed up. I want more now :(

Dislike that I have to wait until 2018 or later to see the Starks come back some how and Jon...... :( :( :( :(

In the meantime you can read up on the theory about the paste Bran was fed.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I hope the paperback has the Damphair chapter Martin kept trying to read, but no one wanted him to lol. He said some crazy things happen in it.

More than likely it'll be an old Tyrion chapter, but at least we'll get to read it instead of rely on second hand descriptions.
Is the paperback ever coming out? It's been pushed back so many times that I don't believe it ever will. :lol

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
:(

But 2018 is so far away. What the fuck am I supposed to do until then?

VYY3CUo.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Forget about the series for a few years. Get used to it now, because you'll have to endure the full wait for another book, and maybe more.
He doesn't have to worry about that, he can just watch the end of the series on the show first. :p

Its time to brush up on your secret targaryens, secret incest, euron=daario theories

Welcome to hell

Wait what.... Euron = Daario is a theory? I'm pretty sure that isn't the case.

Anyway I guess I'll read the whole thing on the ASOIAF wiki and brush up on current fan theories and discuss them.

M.Bluth

Isn't Euron missing an eye, or is his eyepatch simply for show?

edit: Googling, Euron hides a black eye under his patch. Mismatched eyes. Daario lacks mismatched eyes.

Is the eye actually black or do people only say it is?

Why would theon lie to the audience?

There's also this theory that Euron is a Faceless Man...
Although I don't really know if that's possible. Can a Faceless Man control the way they'll look? Can they go back and forth?

There's also this theory that Euron is a Faceless Man...
Although I don't really know if that's possible. Can a Faceless Man control the way they'll look? Can they go back and forth?

It seems the training necessary to become a Faceless Man would leave you unwilling to suddenly return to your former identity and make claim to a throne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom