• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reyne

If Benjen is alive, where is he? Bran and company BARELY survived in the far north, I don't think Benjen would do much better. I love the idea of him trying to find out who/what the Others are but the idea of him reaching the Land of Always Winter seems too fantastical for the series.

Maybe he's in a cave as well, who knows.

Actually, I think Benjen, as First Ranger of the Night Watch, would do far better than a three kids ( one lame ) and Hodor ( who's special ability is that he can only say hodor. ) Certainly Bran as the advantage of warging, but Benjen is a trained ranger and hunter with only himself to feed. So I think his ability to dodge the others and keep himself feed by far outweigh that of Bran & Co. Its only the plot that has kept Bran & Co alive this far, while Benjen, who is more than a capable survivor is most likely dead already. At best he'll remain an enigma.

Okay, here's a question that's been rolling around in my head. Why in the world would Osha and Rickon go to Skagos, if the rumors about that place are true?

My guess is that perhaps the people there aren't as bad as the rumors make out, and that they keep up those pretenses to help maintain their freedom. Perhaps Osha has been there before (I dunno why?), or knows someone there. If people are so afraid of that island, it may be a good place for Rickon to hide from the likes of the Boltons/Freys/Lannisters.

Reyne

Okay, here's a question that's been rolling around in my head. Why in the world would Osha and Rickon go to Skagos, if the rumors about that place are true?

Isn't it obvious? They went there for the unicorns. What else would they do there?

Well, in theory, Skagos is subject to Winterfell and there are houses on the island. Also that island is the size of Ireland, so its not exactly small either. And people spread nasty rumors about the place because thats what people do about distant places with unruly people. Its like the exaggerated stories old Nan told about the Wildlings. In reality, Wildlings are just... people, but you'd think they were monsters the way most people south of the wall talk of them.

Iksenpets

Banned
Isn't it also rumored that Ned's mother was from skagos?

There's pretty much zero evidence for that theory. The whole logic of it is 1.) the books never say where Ned's mom was from 2.) Rickon went to Skagos 3.) therefore Rickon must be going to find his grandmother's family on Skagos!

Seems way more likely that Osha just knows some people there, since Wildlings sail in that area regularly, and it's pretty much the only place south of the Wall you're going to be safe from Bolton search parties.

I do wonder if it will be discovered exactly what Robert Strong is. I don't think the High Septon would take too kindly to Cersei using a Frankenstein monster as her proxy in trial by combat.

Isn't it obvious? They went there for the unicorns. What else would they do there?

Well, in theory, Skagos is subject to Winterfell and there are houses on the island. Also that island is the size of Ireland, so its not exactly small either. And people spread nasty rumors about the place because thats what people do about distant places with unruly people. Its like the exaggerated stories old Nan told about the Wildlings. In reality, Wildlings are just... people, but you'd think they were monsters the way most people south of the wall talk of them.

They probably aren't true. I'm sure there is SOMETHING going on there, but I doubt it's as bad as people say.

Good points. I'm assuming it was just the "sailor's stories" about the place that made Davos so afraid to go there. There's likely some truth to them, but Osha at least felt that Rickon would be safe there. (And I suppose it's probably the safest place in Westeros for him right now.)

I do wonder if it will be discovered exactly what Robert Strong is. I don't think the High Septon would take too kindly to Cersei using a Frankenstein monster as her proxy in trial by combat.

The Epilogue of ADWD mentioned that Kevan was fairly sure of who it really was, and I believe he said that Mace Tyrell (current hand of the king) had his suspicions as well. I don't think the Tyrell's will take kindly to it either.

Whatever happens, it's sure going to be interesting.

The Epilogue of ADWD mentioned that Kevan was fairly sure of who it really was, and I believe he said that Mace Tyrell (current hand of the king) had his suspicions as well. I don't think the Tyrell's will take kindly to it either.

Whatever happens, it's sure going to be interesting.

The Tyrell's might not like it, but the secret coming out would be bad for them as well if it threw Cersei's trial into question. The Tyrell's at least need her to be found not guilty of incest.

The Tyrell's might not like it, but the secret coming out would be bad for them as well if it threw Cersei's trial into question. The Tyrell's at least need her to be found not guilty of incest.

Kevan was explaining it in the epilogue I can't remember what he said exactly but yea the Tyrell's will want her to be found innocent.

Hm, I forgot about the fact that the Tyrell's will want Cersei found innocent.

So if the fan favorite idea of "Sandor vs. Robert Strong" thing doesn't happen, who else do you think should/would fight him during the trial (if it happens)? Personally I'm hoping that Sandor doesn't come down to fight Frankengregor, so it makes me wonder what other possibilities there are.

We have no idea what he can do, or what (if any) his weaknesses are. At the very least you would need someone as ballsy as the Red Viper, and hopefully someone with some knowledge of the arcane arts that Qyburn used. Either way, I fear what'll happen to whomever has to fight him.

And I just remembered about Nymeria Sand, who's on her way to King's Landing...if she finds out who Robert Strong really is, I'm sure she'll be furious, and want to avenge her father. I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with that theory, though, and once you think of it she's an obvious choice to fight Robert Strong. Which makes it pretty likely it will never happen. =P

Pollux

So if the fan favorite idea of "Sandor vs. Robert Strong" thing doesn't happen, who else do you think should/would fight him during the trial (if it happens)? Personally I'm hoping that Sandor doesn't come down to fight Frankengregor, so it makes me wonder what other possibilities there are.

We have no idea what he can do, or what (if any) his weaknesses are. At the very least you would need someone as ballsy as the Red Viper, and hopefully someone with some knowledge of the arcane arts that Qyburn used. Either way, I fear what'll happen to whomever has to fight him.

And I just remembered about Nymeria Sand, who's on her way to King's Landing...if she finds out who Robert Strong really is, I'm sure she'll be furious, and want to avenge her father. I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with that theory, though, and once you think of it she's an obvious choice to fight Robert Strong. Which makes it pretty likely it will never happen. =P
Completely forgot about this, but I like this theory. Definitely more interesting and plausible than the brother v. brother forced fight we might end up with.

Completely forgot about this, but I like this theory. Definitely more interesting and plausible than the brother v. brother forced fight we might end up with.

And I'm sure it'll take her all of three seconds to figure out who Robert Strong really is. One of the Sand Snakes (can't remember which) had already expressed doubt as to whether or not the skull that was delivered to them was actually the Mountain's. (Which it still might have been, actually, but that's another thing entirely.) So who is this 8 foot tall monster who never removes his helmet or speaks? Hm, I wonder.

Skagos might have a cannibal tribe somewhere, but I doubt the entire island is savage. They have a port and trade, after all. I think Osha must have felt it was safe, not just against Boltons but Others too. She wouldn't risk taking Rickon somewhere completely dangerous IMO. Maybe some of the houses there are as loyal to the Starks as the northern clans, and would jump at the idea of helping The Ned's son.

Although knowing Martin, I have a feeling Davos will find Osha and demand she show him Rickon. Then she'll say "there he is, m'lord" and point to Shaggy Dog...

Possibilities? I don't have total knowledge so I'm not sure if these are possible or not:

Jaime -- returns to King's Landing, and seeing the abomination and what has happened, decides to complete his redemption and fight for true justice and putting Cersei down... causing her to go overboard mad no matter the result.

Brienne -- returns to King's Landing for the same reason. Maybe even the reason Jaime fights? I dunno.

Tommen -- I dunno man I'm just trying to think of ways to fuck with Cersei even more at this point

Randdalf

Skagos might have a cannibal tribe somewhere, but I doubt the entire island is savage. They have a port and trade, after all. I think Osha must have felt it was safe, not just against Boltons but Others too. She wouldn't risk taking Rickon somewhere completely dangerous IMO. Maybe some of the houses there are as loyal to the Starks as the northern clans, and would jump at the idea of helping The Ned's son.

Although knowing Martin, I have a feeling Davos will find Osha and demand she show him Rickon. Then she'll say "there he is, m'lord" and point to Shaggy Dog...

What if, during the battle of Winterfell, Rickon and Davos (on a unicorn, naturally) come riding in with an army of Skagosi warriors to turn the tide and win the day?

Jamie is elected by the High Septon to fight against Robert Strong,. Jamie almost dies, but at the last moment manages to knock the helm off Robert, revealing the walking headless corpse of Gregor Clegane. The crowd is stunned, and Jamie wins the trial by default. However, Robert Strong is unperturbed by losing the trail and attempts to kill everyone in the vicinity. Jamie heroically kills the Frankenstein monster and is rewarded by the High Septon with a request of his choosing. Jamie requests forgiveness for his sins, and Cersei's sins. The High Septon forgives the pair and Jamie, Cersei, and all of their children live out the rest of their days in Braavos at a house with a red door.

Possibilities? I don't have total knowledge so I'm not sure if these are possible or not:

Jaime -- returns to King's Landing, and seeing the abomination and what has happened, decides to complete his redemption and fight for true justice and putting Cersei down... causing her to go overboard mad no matter the result.

Brienne -- returns to King's Landing for the same reason. Maybe even the reason Jaime fights? I dunno.

Tommen -- I dunno man I'm just trying to think of ways to fuck with Cersei even more at this point
bran's dream implies someone with the hound's armor. brienne is te size of the hound. meanwhile the brotherhood has his armor.

there is no one else signifcant enough to fight gregor that has access to the armor as well as size compatibility.

Jamie is elected by the High Septon to fight against Robert Strong,. Jamie almost dies, but at the last moment manages to knock the helm off Robert, revealing the walking headless corpse of Gregor Clegane. The crowd is stunned, and Jamie wins the trial by default. However, Robert Strong is unperturbed by losing the trail and attempts to kill everyone in the vicinity. Jamie heroically kills the Frankenstein monster and is rewarded by the High Septon with a request of his choosing. Jamie requests forgiveness for his sins, and Cersei's sins. The High Septon forgives the pair and Jamie, Cersei, and all of their children live out the rest of their days in Braavos at a house with a red door.

Haha, awesome. Especially the image of Frankengregor going on a rampage in King's Landing. Hopefully somebody can stop him.

I wonder if we'll ever get a Lady Stoneheart chapter. That could be really interesting, especially in getting a glimpse into what it's like to be sort of undead like she is. After all of the Catelyn chapters I feel like a Lady Stoneheart chapter wouldn't be out of the question.

Haha, awesome. Especially the image of Frankengregor going on a rampage in King's Landing. Hopefully somebody can stop him.

I wonder if we'll ever get a Lady Stoneheart chapter. That could be really interesting, especially in getting a glimpse into what it's like to be sort of undead like she is. After all of the Catelyn chapters I feel like a Lady Stoneheart chapter wouldn't be out of the question.

She's a (seemingly) mindless bitch out for revenge, and she turned the Brotherhood without Banners into a festering pile of shit. I hate her.

Isn't Nymeria the petite poisoner who is going to join the Faith to get life to the High Septon? She's not a warrior, I can't see her trying to fight a giant or anyone else. There will be other ways to expose him. I can imagine someone offering him a drink, or asking to see his face just to stir suspicion.

Yeah, Catelyn should've stayed dead. He ruined the impact of her death by bringing her back.

Normally I would agree with you, because I hate when an author brings back a dead character. But in the case of Lady Stoneheart, I think it was effective. It goes against the regular trope of merely bringing a character back to life in order to manipulate emotions. (Oh, you were sad when this character died, right? Well, now they're still alive! Aren't you happy?) In LS's case, she comes back as a vengeful and mindless bitch, like CornBurrito said. There's nothing happy about it, and her being alive really just makes everything worse, and her death more tragic (in my mind).

Isn't Nymeria the petite poisoner who is going to join the Faith to get life to the High Septon? She's not a warrior, I can't see her trying to fight a giant or anyone else. There will be other ways to expose him. I can imagine someone offering him a drink, or asking to see his face just to stir suspicion.

From the wiki:

Nymeria has all the beauty that her elder sister lacks [2] but is no less deadly. She usually can conceal a dozen daggers on her person and is extremely skilled with the blades.

Dunno where they got that particularly. But it was always my understanding that all of the Sand Snakes were extremely skilled fighters -- perhaps not skilled enough for Frankengregor, but she might think otherwise.

fallout

She's a (seemingly) mindless bitch out for revenge, and she turned the Brotherhood without Banners into a festering pile of shit. I hate her.
Yeah, Catelyn should've stayed dead. He ruined the impact of her death by bringing her back.
It's always fun reading opinions different than yours. I felt that the whole Lady Stoneheart thing actually made the Brotherhood interesting. Up until that point, I really wasn't very invested in their role in the books and felt that they were more world-building than anything.

It's always fun reading opinions different than yours. I felt that the whole Lady Stoneheart thing actually made the Brotherhood interesting. Up until that point, I really wasn't very invested in their role in the books and felt that they were more world-building than anything.

I mean Thoros of Myr basically says outright that the Brotherhood went from being about helping the common people, to a group of rogues who indiscriminately mug and hang everyone they come across. The Brotherhood was like a group of Robin Hoods, which is far more interesting than Bloody Mummers 2.0

I mean Thoros of Myr basically says outright that the Brotherhood went from being about helping the common people, to a group of rogues who indiscriminately mug and hang everyone they come across. The Brotherhood was like a group of Robin Hoods, which is far more interesting than Bloody Mummers 2.0

I dunno man, I just can't hate on anybody hanging Freys

I found the Brotherhood pretty interesting in both of its forms. I love the idea of them getting sent out by Eddard to bring the Mountain to justice, and are nearly defeated. Instead of giving up or slinking away into obscurity, they say screw it and continue to fight in the name of Robert. The role reversal was interesting to me -- they're sent out to bring a group of outlaws to justice, but the outlaws become sanctioned by the new leadership in King's Landing, and the brotherhood becomes the outlaws. One of the few groups that seems to be fighting for the smallfolk in the entire series.

And then Lord Beric has to go and give up his life for that monster Lady Stoneheart. =\ The Brotherhood wasn't full of admirable people to begin with, but they at least had a purpose beyond revenge while under Beric.

But I'm still very intrigued to learn what the Brotherhood will be doing in the future. There's some theories about them infiltrating Winterfell, as there's a possibility that the Hooded Man that Theon met was Harwin. That could fit pretty well, and would make perfect sense if LS had caught wind of "Arya" being in Winterfell, married to Ramsey.

Iksenpets

Banned

I... I kind of like this Nymeria theory? It would be a good way to get some feel-good revenge for Oberyn and actually establish the supposed deadliness of these Sand Snakes that the last two books have kept alluding to. Only question is why the Faith would want her as it's champion... except that her septa half-sister is also going to KL to infiltrate the Faith and curry favor with them oh god it's perfect.

I had kind of figured that Randyll Tarly would turn on the Tyrells and provide someone to prove Cersei's guilt. Then he could make contact with Aegon and work out some sort of deal between themselves and the High Septon, where Tarly and the Faith would declare for Aegon, Aegon lets the faith keep their Army, and with the Tyrells tainted by their association with Cersei and the Florents tainted by association with Stannis, Tarly would stand next in line to inherit the Reach. The Faith gets a king who's neither a heretic nor an incestuous fornicator, Tarly gets the Reach, Aegon gets two new armies backing him up, everyone's happy.

fallout

Despite what was said by Thoros of Myr, I don't think they think they're doing it indiscriminately. They're targeting anyone who might have been somehow related to the Red Wedding, whether correct or not. Sure, the results might be similar, but the reasoning is considerably different.

The Robin Hood thing was just not that interesting to me until the group became flawed and vengeful. I guess I just have a thing for the descent of characters or something.

I dunno man, I just can't hate on anybody hanging Freys

I don't really think all the Freys deserve death for what the more prominent members did. You can't betray your own blood in that kind of culture, so even those adverse to the plan couldn't have ratted Walder out to the Northernmen. Any of the Freys adverse to the plan (Edmure's wife for example) couldn't have gone to Robb and been all "hey, fyi my family is planning to kill you", because doing so would be tantamount to kinslaying, the gravest sin in the seven kingdoms. Since Robb probably would exact revenge by murdering Walder and his close kin.

I don't really think all the Freys deserve death for what the more prominent members did. You can't betray your own blood in that kind of culture, so even those adverse to the plan couldn't have ratted Walder out to the Northernmen. Any of the Freys adverse to the plan (Brynden's wife for example) couldn't have gone to Robb and been all "hey, fyi my family is planning to kill you", because doing so would be tantamount to kinslaying, the gravest sin in the seven kingdoms. Since Robb probably would exact revenge by murdering Walder and his close kin.

Eh, I'm on board with 'em all dying. Kill 'em all and let the Old Gods sort 'em out.

If we consider warnings or lack thereof to be tantamount to kinslaying, then she's guilty either way.
If she's marrying into Edmure's family, she's actually kinslaying her new family even if she's not her old one. She allowed her husband's family to be slaughtered. So, you know, fuck her too.

HANG THEM ALL

hemtae

Who is the Brynden in the Frey's extended family? The only ones I remember that weren't on board with the Red Wedding were Robb's former squires.

Who is the Brynden in the Frey's extended family? The only ones I remember that weren't on board with the Red Wedding were Robb's former squires.

Edmure* Tully married a Frey.

Eh, I'm on board with 'em all dying. Kill 'em all and let the Old Gods sort 'em out.

If we consider warnings or lack thereof to be tantamount to kinslaying, then she's guilty either way.
If she's marrying into Brynden's family, she's actually kinslaying her new family even if she's not her old one. She allowed her husband's family to be slaughtered. So, you know, fuck her too.

HANG THEM ALL

She was only an example. The younger members of House Frey could have done precisely jack shit to stop the Red Wedding, without it very likely leading to the death of their own family members. The only ones I would kill were the ones who actively planned it, any of those who actually fired a crossbow, lobbed jars of fire at the tents, or used a sword to slaughter the Starks and his bannermen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom