• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah. After I watched the episode that's exactly what I was thinking. "It's a spoiler... but hell, it's in the middle of a bizarre description involving hundreds of weiners so doubt anyone who didn't read the books will believe it".

Cue Internet "OMG SPOILERS THEY TOTALLY SPOILED JOFFREY'S DEATH".

Fun.

Oh well, GRRM delaying Black Friday was great though.

The more I think about it the more I believe having that one legitimate spoiler in the middle of 10 other ludicrous things was an intentional troll on people who flip the fuck out over spoilers. No non-book reader could ever get legitimately spoiled by it unless someone else decided on their own to be stupid and explain (as in that thread) that a legitimate spoiler occurred (which then causes them to go back and think about it). People flipping out over ASoIaF book spoilers has been a pretty big issue in the last couple years.

CassSept

Can be amazing. Might be terrible. Will wait for the reviews, on paper it sounds like a match made in heaven but Teltalle doesn't have exactly the perfect track record.

Though, if anyone were to make a good game based on the franchise it's them. I just hope they use, well, at least slightly different engine.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The more I think about it the more I believe having that one legitimate spoiler in the middle of 10 other ludicrous things was an intentional troll on people who flip the fuck out over spoilers. No non-book reader could ever get legitimately spoiled by it unless someone else decided on their own to be stupid and explain (as in that thread) that a legitimate spoiler occurred (which then causes them to go back and think about it). People flipping out over ASoIaF book spoilers has been a pretty big issue in the last couple years.

Well the thing is its the only non ridiculous thing he said in the episode. Everything else was about wieners, and that one little bit stands out as the one thing not about wieners.

Now, I wonder if they're going to drop a book 5 spoiler next week with Randy. They already did a very subtle reference with Randy getting promoted to head of the mall cops (night's watch). Now I wonder if he goes through with getting his deals, if the other mall cops turn on him and kill him...

Moff

I dont understand the hate, I think this is seriously one of the best chances we can possibly get for a decent ASOIAF game. telltale have proven that they can deal with a license, they dont just use it to sell more games, they actually make something of their own with it, and something good.

most people seem to desire an RPG, which is understandable, but personally I think with an RPG the chances for licensed garbage are much much bigger. and I think an ASOIAF adventure can work very well, although its not my favourite genre.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Yeah, an ASOIAF game from Telltale could be awesome. Although, a new Mount & Blade game based in Westeros would be killer.

Telltale? Count me in. I think it could be a great combination; they're always focused on story and this could give them a great opportunity to flesh out the ASOIAF universe even further.

The choice-based scenarios would fit right in with the consequence driven world, too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well the thing is its the only non ridiculous thing he said in the episode. Everything else was about wieners, and that one little bit stands out as the one thing not about wieners.

Now, I wonder if they're going to drop a book 5 spoiler next week with Randy. They already did a very subtle reference with Randy getting promoted to head of the mall cops (night's watch). Now I wonder if he goes through with getting his deals, if the other mall cops turn on him and kill him...

I don't think normal people think about it that hard. People who have read the books just think about it because they're obsessed with preventing spoilers so they can do shit like tape their friends watching the Red Wedding.

It just had to be Telltale :(

Seriously. :(

Why is this a bad thing? If it's anything like The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us it could potentially be great. If it is true, though, I hope they tell some side story that isn't directly related to the main characters in ASOIAF.

As for the Joffrey spoiler in Southpark, I have mixed feelings. At least it's not exactly the worst thing they could have spoiled for next season. Tyrion's trial, The Mountain v. The Red Viper, Stannis at the Wall, Jon becoming the Lord Commander, Tyrion killing Shae and Tywin...all moments that had a much bigger impact on me then Joffrey's death, and should be amazing moments next season if done well. There's going to be so much good material. It's not like his death is going to be anywhere near the highlight of next season.

At least with ASOIAF Telltale is going to have a harder time justifying the lame gameplay and puzzles that were in TWD. Maybe they'll just wise up and make it a VN with direct character control. Granted TellTale hasn't written anything like this, but I'm interested to see what kind of story they could tell.

ZeroRay

I wouldn't mind a Telltale Got/ASOIAF game as long as it's a self contained story. Which is likely what we're getting.

Now my ultimate ASOIAF game would have From Software developing a Demon's/Dark Souls like experience that takes place North of the Wall. After the events of ASOS, the setting strikingly mirrors that of a Souls game in terms of how terrifying and fucked up everything is. You have wights obviously, but then add all kinds of different creatures alive and zombiefied along with White Walkers, and you got yourself a good deal of enemies. You got forests, tombs, underground tunnels built by the children of the forest, icy mountains and snowy wastelands. Add in a lot of crazy NPC Wildlings, friendly wights like Coldhands, skinchangers, greenseers and some CotF and you're good to go.

Maybe have each class you start out with start in different areas with different objectives, like a Night Watchman who survived a wight attack try to find the group he was separated from, or a Red Priest/Priestess coming to the Frozen Shores at the call of R'hllor, a Wildling parent trying to find their child, an assassin sent to scout the lands beyond the wall, etc. Also maybe have White Walkers spawn in an area randomly and give the player a choice of either engaging them, or running away. But let the only way of killing a white walker be the use of obsidian, either daggers or arrows, and have a hard set limited number of them to be found. Ahh man, I'll stop now before I really bum myself out over this never happening. :(

CassSept

Eh, GRRM says that just as he is about to be poisoned he is slapped by 5 wieners in his face, I really doubt many people would notice that line stand out among others unless they had book readers around them flapping their hands and shouting "ooooohhh, spoilers spoilers".

What is worse, they teased (or.... spoiled!) one of the most iconic AFFC lines and nobody seems to care.

It is Telltale we're talking about though. The choices in The Walking Dead were all meaningless by the end of the episode you made them in.

Yes, but that can easily be rectified. And it seems that with The Wolf Among Us, they're changing it so that your actions have consequences across the entire story.

Choices can be meaningful without impacting the outcome. It's about the journey, man.

Agreed. The choices always felt meaningful to me in the moment, which was the most important thing. I didn't ever feel a need for a huge shift in the course of the game as a result of my decisions. But even then, there were still plenty of decisions you made that seemed to largely impact certain events.

Anyway, quick question on ASOIAF. I can't remember -- did Stannis know that the Mance they burned was actually Rattleshirt? Or was that Melisandre's secret?

pizza dog

Banned
Agreed. The choices always felt meaningful to me in the moment, which was the most important thing. I didn't ever feel a need for a huge shift in the course of the game as a result of my decisions. But even then, there were still plenty of decisions you made that seemed to largely impact certain events.

Anyway, quick question on ASOIAF. I can't remember -- did Stannis know that the Mance they burned was actually Rattleshirt? Or was that Melisandre's secret?

I don't believe he did.

The moment you notice your choices are meaningless, the journey becomes meaningless.

Maybe you've heard of Life. Sometimes things don't go the way you want them to. Sometimes you're powerless. To keep it fantasy, we'll go with Harry Potter: it matters whether you die cowering behind a gravestone or you die standing up and trying to fight tyranny. Even if you die either way, the choice you make matters.

Walking Dead is great about that. You can't ride off into the sunset with Clementine and live happily ever after, but you can still influence her development up until the point she leaves you. Has she killed anyone? Does she know how to shoot, how to survive on her own? How I chose to spend my time with her influenced how I felt about our parting. That made me having her cap my ass meaningful.

fallout

It is Telltale we're talking about though. The choices in The Walking Dead were all meaningless by the end of the episode you made them in.
I really disagree with this assessment. The choices you made significantly impacted the relationships with the other characters. Despite the fact that the overall plot was not affected, your choices did matter to the experience.

pizza dog

Banned
Anyway back to the topic:

VFAiBOo.gif

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://www.today.com/entertainment/game-thrones-star-abandon-acting-after-show-ends-2D11648778

Over three seasons on "Game of Thrones," actor Jack Gleeson, who plays King Joffrey Baratheon, has proved he has talent — his HBO series character is even more loathsome than originally written in George R.R. Martin's novels. But fans won't have Gleeson to kick around much longer, as he's planning on leaving show business.

"(Acting) was always a recreation beforehand, but when I started doing 'Game of Thrones' perhaps the reality was made too real for me," the 21-year-old told Ireland's Independent. "The lifestyle that comes with being an actor in a successful TV show isn't something I gravitate towards."

The actor told the publication that he will stop acting professionally when he finishes his role on "Thrones." He was 17 when he auditioned for the role, and attends Trinity College in Dublin, where he is studying philosophy and theology.

"Since going to Trinity and garnering an interest in philosophy and with Goal (an aid agency) and my theater company I've kind of just re-evaluated what I want to do," he said.

He doesn't watch himself on the show, and calls it "bizarre" when he does see the occasional clip. He also said he doesn't find Joffrey someone he can defend. "I suppose he's the product of his context and his family. In terms of redeemable qualities, there wouldn't be many."

Angry Grimace

Of course he doesn't like the spotlight; he has to play an irredeemable asshole.

Joffery isn't evil. Just misunderstood. He was trying to make the world a better place by getting the populace to overthrow the monarchy and instead establish a more egalitarian society where nobody would be born with power over others.

A couple tidbits fromthe Q&A:
Q: Do you regret splitting A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons by geography instead of chronology?
A: I regret the necessity to split the books, but if I had to split them, then I think geography was preferable to chronology for a variety of reasons.

Q: I’ve heard that you were a fan of HBO's Rome, which character, if any, were translated into A Song Of Ice And Fire in some way or was just your favourite character of the TV series?
A: Titus Pullo! Who could not love Titus Pullo?

Q: Ice And Fire and really looking forward to the next instalment... but how are you going to finish it in just two books?
A: Two BIG books. 1500 manuscript pages each - that's 3000 pages. I think I have a good shot. And you know, if I really get pressed, I've already established that red comet. I can just have it hit Westeros and wipe out all life.

Angry Grimace

Joffery isn't evil. Just misunderstood. He was trying to make the world a better place by getting the populace to overthrow the monarchy and instead establish a more egalitarian society where nobody would be born with power over others.

So ASOIAF is Code Geass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom