• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fey

Banned
I thought of a couple questions.

1) What is this 5 year gap I've read about? Does it have to do with the release of the books?

2) Is there a reason why Littlefinger keeps fucking over Tryion? Does he have a motive or is Tyrion simply an easy target?

Yeah, the original plan for the 4th book to take place 5 years after the events of the first three, with the Stark kids considerably older. But I think GRRM said when he tried to do it that way, he found he was relying too much on flashbacks to events that occurred in those 5 years, so he decided against it.

And, as far as I remember, I don't think Littlefinger really has anything personally against Tyrion? His actions don't seem to be exclusively against Tyrion, but more just to benefit himself.

Dresden

Does he have a motive or is Tyrion simply an easy target?

Motive would be to just remove him from the game, since Littlefinger isn't the sort to underestimate Tyrion's intelligence due to his height. And because his height makes him such an open target, the opportunities just present themselves as they go along.

Diablos54

rYcOac3aniGl.jpg

Hmm, I'll take it!

I thought of a couple questions.

1) What is this 5 year gap I've read about? Does it have to do with the release of the books?

2) Is there a reason why Littlefinger keeps fucking over Tryion? Does he have a motive or is Tyrion simply an easy target?
1) ADWD was initially the fourth novel of the series, and meant to occur 5 years after the events of ASOS. Martin planned on writing a very large, multi character prologue that eventually turned into the Greyjoy and Dorne chapters in AFFC, plus the Pate story. The rest of the book was supposed to cover everything else.

Martin said that the plan worked very well for young characters like Bran, who would essentially be training "off screen/page" for five years. But it didn't work for POVs like Jon, who would have basically done nothing as LC until shit hit the fan in year 5.

He wrote more than 1000 MS pages of this before scrapping it, then split the book in two. Killing the 5 year gap also created the Mereenese Knot problem; since Martin could no longer skip Dany's governance period he had to bring multiple characters to her location. At one point her arc started with her meeting Quentyn, right before Daznak's Pit.

Reyne

Are there any other animals in the book found in real life coat of arms?

A lot of them does derive from common real heraldries. For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolves_in_heraldry - Stark
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer#Heraldry - Baratheon
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Trouts_in_heraldry - Tully
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_(heraldry) - Tyrell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_(heraldry) - Martell

Of course, there are some variation here and there, though for the Major Houses GRRM really went with very simply arms, often with thematic implications.

Siyou

So... I'm about 600 pages through the 5th book, I've read 1-4 already, I just feel that George R. R. Martin is bored with his world and the characters. It's honestly quite saddening, does it get better for the rest of this book?

So... I'm about 600 pages through the 5th book, I've read 1-4 already, I just feel that George R. R. Martin is bored with his world and the characters. It's honestly quite saddening, does it get better for the rest of this book?

If by fifth you mean a dance with dragons...yes the last section is good. If you mean a feast for crows...then no.

My heart can't wait until late 2015

I'm still backing March 2016.

Siyou

If by fifth you mean a dance with dragons...yes the last section is good. If you mean a feast for crows...then no.

I'm still backing March 2016.

The fourth book was definitely a hard read for me... Just a lot of nothing happening. Same thing I feel for most of ADWD... It makes me sad to see it like this, too.

Selner

yup, has been posted back then
honestly I believe a lot of it, too many coincidences. and it convinced me ice and fire will not fight each other, but both will fight humans in the endgame.

There do seem to be a lot of parallels. Theon for example, as a sea god sent to live among the wolves. That's pretty much dead on I think.

But much of the rest of his suggestions are pretty far out there.
Jojen is not dead yet, he knows he dies at Greywater, not Beyond the Wall. So Bran didn't eat him.

So there's room to see where GRRM was possible inspired by Norse Myth, you can see it in the names of many of the characters. It's pretty ease to see some loose connections, but the idea that Fire and Ice are going to join together to attack Man is a more than a little out there.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Anyone familiar with the Ragnarok theory? Or has it already been posted?

http://gameofthronesandnorsemythology.blogspot.com/2013/05/ragnarok-song-of-ice-fire.html

Probably one of the better theories I've read.
Interesting read. Thanks for sharing. I hope half of it isn't true as it would mean two of my favorite characters dying. :(

After reading that I stumbled upon this compendium of theories. The "The Old Gods Love the Starks" is broken and I can't find it elsewhere.

There do seem to be a lot of parallels. Theon for example, as a sea god sent to live among the wolves. That's pretty much dead on I think.

But much of the rest of his suggestions are pretty far out there.
Jojen is not dead yet, he knows he dies at Greywater, not Beyond the Wall. So Bran didn't eat him.

So there's room to see where GRRM was possible inspired by Norse Myth, you can see it in the names of many of the characters. It's pretty ease to see some loose connections, but the idea that Fire and Ice are going to join together to attack Man is a more than a little out there.

Where does he say that? The farther they got north, the more Jojen seemed like he was expecting to die soon. Not saying I believe the paste theory, but I don't see him leaving the north alive.

Many folks believe that the alleged sow/pig meat Coldhands gave Bran, Meera, and Jojen in ADWD was human flesh; he had killed the Night's Watch members before bringing the meat to the group, plus Bran couldn't find any live animals in the woods when he warged Summer.

Jayof9s

Many folks believethat the alleged sow/pig meat Coldhands gave Bran, Meera, and Jojen in ADWD was human flesh; he had killed the Night's Watch members before bringing the meat to the group, plus Bran couldn't find any live animals in the woods when he warged Summer.

Yeah, on my second reading that was pretty obvious; I didn't catch it at all my first time through though.

Edit: As for the other part, I don't recall Jojen saying anything about dying at Greywater. I'm pretty sure he'd just said it wasn't his time earlier on. But by the time they made it to the Children, I seem to recall he was already admitting that his time was almost up without coming right out and saying it.

apana

I am kind of 50/50 on the whole Jojen paste thing. George has definitely gone out of his way to make the Bran storyline connected to cannibalism and human sacrifice but where that leads I can't say for certain. Maybe spoilery:
It is possible that Theon could be a sacrifice.

I am kind of 50/50 on the whole Jojen paste thing. George has definitely gone out of his way to make the Bran storyline connected to cannibalism and human sacrifice but where that leads I can't say for certain. Maybe spoilery:

TWOW
Someone - be it Bran or Bloodraven - clearly wants him to be brought to a heart tree. Whether it's to actually sacrifice him, or whether it's something else - for instance, isn't there some...rule that a man cannot lie before a heart tree? Maybe Asha wants him to be taken to one in order to prove his innocence.

I just can't see Theon dying so early in TWOW as a sacrifice, seems like his arc has a bit more to accomplish.

He'd rather be writing/editing Wild Cards. It is known.

TrueNorth

Neo Member

No offense but fuck Theon. I think he deserves everything he gets. Still, he is a very well written asshole of a character.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What colors do everyone think the last two books will be?

So far we have:

Game of Thrones - Blue
Clash of Kings - Gold/Yellow
Storm of Swords - Green
Feast for Crows - Red
Dance with Dragons - White/Silver
Winds of Winter - ??
Dream of Spring - ??

Purple? Orange? Black?

daripad

So far we have:

Game of Thrones - Blue
Storm of Swords - Green
Feast for Crows - Red
Winds of Winter - ??
Dream of Spring - ??

Purple? Orange? Black?

WOW can be black/gray and DOS orange

So far we have:

Game of Thrones - Blue
Storm of Swords - Green
Feast for Crows - Red
Winds of Winter - ??
Dream of Spring - ??

Purple? Orange? Black?
My books don't fit these color schemes.

TrueNorth

Neo Member

So far we have:

Game of Thrones - Blue
Storm of Swords - Green
Feast for Crows - Red
Winds of Winter - ??
Dream of Spring - ??

Purple? Orange? Black?

I like the idea of WoW being Black or Grey and DoS Being a Yellow Green type color, but a nice yellow green, not a pukey one.

eot

Banned

I don't think that's out of the question, blood sacrifices to weirwoods are a thing.
I'm not sure why Asha proposed that to Stannis to begin with though. Maybe he doesn't want him burned, but it's still oddly specific. She's not of the north, why does she care about the old gods?

All this time I thought Lands of Ice and Fire was a big atlas and not just a collection of poster-sized maps. How disappointing :/

They should make a ASOIAF globe.

But this World of Ice and Fire book seems interesting. Is it confirmed for this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom