• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this time I thought Lands of Ice and Fire was a big atlas and not just a collection of poster-sized maps. How disappointing :/

They should make a ASOIAF globe.

But this World of Ice and Fire book seems interesting. Is it confirmed for this year?

This year. Elio Garcia (who runs Westeros.org and helped Martin write the book) has said all they're waiting for is the final art commissions. Amazon says October 2014 but that's not official, according to Elio as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a summer 2014 date to coincide with the show's finale, similar to ADWD.

Yonafunu

This year. Elio Garcia (who runs Westeros.org and helped Martin write the book) has said all they're waiting for is the final art commissions. Amazon says October 2014 but that's not official, according to Elio as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a summer 2014 date to coincide with the show's finale, similar to ADWD.

I'm still clueless as to why Martin lets a fan help with the books in any sort of way.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's the world compendium book, not an actual novel... considering there's already an excellent concordance resource at Westeros.org, why shouldn't he take advantage of this resource?
Because he doesn't think other people should play in his sandbox and they should instead go create their own.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't see how him being opposed to fan fiction means that he'd be opposed to a dedicated fan gathering up all sorts of concordance and lore elements...? He doesn't want people to write stories set in his universe or using his characters, but that's not the same thing as gathering information and putting it together.

What colors do everyone think the last two books will be?

So far we have:

Game of Thrones - Blue
Clash of Kings - Gold/Yellow
Storm of Swords - Green
Feast for Crows - Red
Dance with Dragons - White/Silver
Winds of Winter - ??
Dream of Spring - ??

Purple? Orange? Black?

I'm thinking black for Winds of Winter and (royal) purple for Dream of Spring.

I'm still clueless as to why Martin lets a fan help with the books in any sort of way.

It's a lore/history book; basically it's written from the perspective of a collection of biased maesters, and Martin plans on preventing spoiler-ish information (like what happened at Summerhall) by having some pages be blotted out due to one maester accidentally knocking ink everywhere.

Elio and Linda run Westeros.org where they compile nearly every public appearance/comment Martin makes, document his correspondents with fans, and document various information from the books (family trees, theories, etc). They're...hardcore fans. And when Martin forgets what color a character's eyes are he has them figure it out.

They also vet parts of the books for errors. Elio has read some of TWOW and is the one who said it features it a "controversial" Sansa chapter.

Well, I'm hungry for more ASOIAF, but it is a bit annoying that we're getting this companion book before the series is over. Like, what if somethings are revealed in the last book. But knowing how long that will take, they could write another companion book in 15 years when the series finishes.

Well, I'm hungry for more ASOIAF, but it is a bit annoying that we're getting this companion book before the series is over. Like, what if somethings are revealed in the last book. But knowing how long that will take, they could write another companion book in 15 years when the series finishes.
They'll just make another book. You're not thinking like a publisher!

Yonafunu

It's a lore/history book; basically it's written from the perspective of a collection of biased maesters, and Martin plans on preventing spoiler-ish information (like what happened at Summerhall) by having some pages be blotted out due to one maester accidentally knocking ink everywhere.

Elio and Linda run Westeros.org where they compile nearly every public appearance/comment Martin makes, document his correspondents with fans, and document various information from the books (family trees, theories, etc). They're...hardcore fans. And when Martin forgets what color a character's eyes are he has them figure it out.

They also vet parts of the books for errors. Elio has read some of TWOW and is the one who said it features it a "controversial" Sansa chapter.

Yeah, I know who they are. This was the part I was talking about, but it's not as bad as I remember if it's only checking for errors.

Wh0 N0se

Yeah, I know who they are. This was the part I was talking about, but it's not as bad as I remember if it's only checking for errors.

They correct errors, they don't tell Martin how to write his story, otherwise the Red Wedding probably would have ever happened!!
Sansa getting raped Littlefinger has been building for a while. It will not be a fun chapter to read.

I don't think that's going to happen, my guess is more towards the inconsistent story teller from Sansa.

Fuzzy

I don't see how him being opposed to fan fiction means that he'd be opposed to a dedicated fan gathering up all sorts of concordance and lore elements...? He doesn't want people to write stories set in his universe or using his characters, but that's not the same thing as gathering information and putting it together.
My bad, I thought they were also contributing to it. I'm clear now.

Martin also has plans for a bigger, more comprehensive lore book after he finishes the series. He's referred to it as the "GRRMarillion" lol.

He has also said he really wants to do a prequel trilogy focused on Aegon IV (The Unworthy).

tmdorsey

Martin also has plans for a bigger, more comprehensive lore book after he finishes the series. He's referred to it as the "GRRMarillion" lol.

He has also said he really wants to do a prequel trilogy focused on Aegon IV (The Unworthy).

That's funny considering most people are betting he won't even finish this series.

That's funny considering most people are betting he won't even finish this series.

It's not unusual for an author stuck writing a series for decades to make plans for future projects that they will likely never get to. I'm sure writing one thing for so long can feel like a prison.

tmdorsey

It's not unusual for an author stuck writing a series for decades to make plans for future projects that they will likely never get to. I'm sure writing one thing for so long can feel like a prison.

Well then you would think that would provide some motivation to get the current project done.

Well then you would think that would provide some motivation to get the current project done.

I'm not sure it's a question of motivation, his writing process is just incredibly slow and has been for over a decade. Expecting GRRM to start churning out books quickly is like expecting an old athlete to move like he was 20 years old, he's not that writer anymore. It's actually not that unusual for older authors to slow down.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They're using Red Wedding reaction vids for the S3 home video commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fJ-YKex-oc

I saw that earlier today. That's one way to sell DVDs, I guess.

My books don't fit these color schemes.

Mass Market Paperback, ya dig?

That soon?! Whoa. omg. That's exciting!

Can't wait to read it in 2056.

Yonafunu

This theory blew me away lol
http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1yljs8/spoilers_all_high_septon_tinfoil_theory/

Not saying I believe it 100%, but it definitely convinced me the High Septon is the septon Brienne met in AFFC.

The part about the High Sparrow being the septon Brienne met was super obvious, I knew it was him the minute he showed up in King's Landing. I thought that was common knowledge. The part about his true identity is very interesting though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This theory is crazy, but interesting lol
http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comme...infoil_theory/

Not saying I believe it 100%, but it definitely convinced me the High Septon is the septon Brienne met in AFFC.
I thought you meant Septon Meribald at first and went "whaaaat?", but this is a different septon, a random dude, right?

I don't think he's Howland Reed, or even a crannogman, for some reason I imagined the Reeds and crannogmen would keep to the Old Gods, but it could be the same septon indeed. Or just that GRRM recycles physical descriptions at some point, due to having so many different characters?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the septon Brienne met on the road being the new High Septon was something I recall thinking when reading, similarly I think there's a dwarf sparrow she meets in a bar who ends up as one of the heads presented to Cersei.

Completely lost me when it said the High Septon was Howland Reed, most of these theories just read like parody to me. "He has calluses, Howland lives in the swamps! IT ALL FITS!"

RedShift

Fuzzy

I thought you meant Septon Meribald at first and went "whaaaat?", but this is a different septon, a random dude, right?

I don't think he's Howland Reed, or even a crannogman, for some reason I imagined the Reeds and crannogmen would keep to the Old Gods, but it could be the same septon indeed. Or just that GRRM recycles physical descriptions at some point, due to having so many different characters?
Reed wouldn't have to actually believe in the Seven if he was doing this to infiltrate KL and build an army there. Saying that, I don't think it's him either.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Completely lost me when it said the High Septon was Howland Reed, most of these theories just read like parody to me. "He has calluses, Howland lives in the swamps! IT ALL FITS!"
Seriously. And the Reeds do keep the old gods, no? Pretty sure greenseers don't follow the Seven and the Reed kids talk about the Children of the Forest.

Sure, I guess Lord Reed could simply pretend to be a septon of the Faith, but it sounds kinda far-fetched.

Yonafunu

I just don't see how the High Sparrow being the septon Brienne met is relevant in any way. Did he say or do something interesting? I remember noticing it was the same guy while reading, but I didn't think anything of it afterwards.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Isn't there a bit timeline issue there? Wasn't the new septon in place when Brienne met him? Or is this a different septon from the one when she met not-thehound.

RedShift

I just don't see how the High Sparrow being the septon Brienne met is relevant in any way. Did he say or do something interesting? I remember noticing it was the same guy while reading, but I didn't think anything of it afterwards.

The only relevant thing is her meeting him in the riverlands and him ending up in KL suggests he was travelling from the North.

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing. I hope half of it isn't true as it would mean two of my favorite characters dying. :(

After reading that I stumbled upon this compendium of theories. The "The Old Gods Love the Starks" is broken and I can't find it elsewhere.

I can't find it either, weird; seems like it was deleted.

Here's a larger group of theories, some small some big some ridiculous.
http://bryndenbfish.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/the-grand-rasoiaf-theory-compendium/

His site is great BTW. Lots of analysis of military campaigns in the novel, including the two big upcoming battles in TWOW.

Pollux

Reading through that and getting to the part about Bael as the King-Beyond-The-Wall who was killed by "the young Lord Stark" I'm reminded just how fucking psychotic the Bolton's actually are.

How "one of his lords skinned him and wore him as a cloak". Obviously it's a Bolton.

Is there any hint that Domeric Bolton was not in fact Roose's son? Everything we've heard about him makes him seem the exact opposite of Roose - kind and compassionate...not your typical Bolton.

The whole Winterfell situation is by far my favorite plot point going forward to TWoW.

Yep, by far. As has been noted, the entire situation in the North is just amazing, and I can't wait to see what happens.

On the TV show though, I cannot wait to see what Alfie and Iwan do with the Theon/Ramsay storyline. It's easily the one I'm most psyched far, and I believe Alfie mentioned in an interview that Theon spilling his guts in front of the heart tree in Winterfell will happen this season.

Yonafunu

Yep, by far. As has been noted, the entire situation in the North is just amazing, and I can't wait to see what happens.

On the TV show though, I cannot wait to see what Alfie and Iwan do with the Theon/Ramsay storyline. It's easily the one I'm most psyched far, and I believe Alfie mentioned in an interview that Theon spilling his guts in front of the heart tree in Winterfell will happen this season.

What? What?

Holy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom