• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to my kindle's search function, the phrase "nipples on a breastplate" only appears three times in the whole series, once in Feast and twice in Dance. I was expecting a lot more than that.

Meanwhile, "words are wind" appears twice in Storm, 6 times in Feast, and 13 times in Dance.

There are 21 references to where whores go in Dance, 11 of which are in Tyrion I.

Feast contains 9 references to fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and Moon Boy for all I know, although it only appears in three chapters.

Yeah we all doubt he's dead. Either he is somehow still alive, dead and revived like stoneheart and thus released from his oaths, or reborn as Azor.

I just finished reading the latest book and I god damn hope this is true. Stabbed to death by his own brothers, that was just devastating to read.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished reading the latest book and I god damn hope this is true. Stabbed to death by his own brothers, that was just devastating to read.

It's really tragic, because those involved in the conspiracy likely didn't do it for nefarious purposes or for the political gain of some figurehead: they simply were doing what they thought was best for the Night's Watch (and for the realm as a whole). Jon was about to tear the Night's Watch apart and dismantle their progress in preparing to face another possible onslaught of Wildings or, worse, Others.

There really were no winners in what they did, and it will be interesting to see what the immediate reaction to the revolt will be on The Wall (told either through Mel's POV or possibly Jon in some form).

Would be even more interesting if The Wall goes dark to the reader for a while due to the lack of POVs, though I suspect that Mel's inclusion as a POV in Dance was an effort to establish her as a future POV to replace Jon.

Nymerio

Jon's 'death' really came as a shock when I read it, actually had to take a break to process that. Thinking about it afterwards though, I guess he warged into Ghost and Mel can probably bring him back later.

Rootbeer

Banned
In the new episode of smodcast, Kevin Smith and Mosier talk about Game of Thrones for 90 minutes.

Kev just marathoned GoT S01-04 over the period of a few days and is pretty struck with its brilliance.

Spoilers for all 4 seasons (no book spoilers)

http://smodcast.com/episodes/game-of-mos/

Here's a spoiler for the pod though...
Kev loves bran! Yay, more bran fans

Yonafunu

In the new episode of smodcast, Kevin Smith and Mosier talk about Game of Thrones for 90 minutes.

Kev just marathoned GoT S01-04 over the period of a few days and is pretty struck with its brilliance.

Spoilers for all 4 seasons (no book spoilers)

http://smodcast.com/episodes/game-of-mos/

Here's a spoiler for the pod though...
Kev loves bran! Yay, more bran fans

Hahahaha, I love how they got a lot of the names wrong. This is fun.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Welp, I expect the show to be finished before we ever see TWOW.

TWOW Unlikely to be Released in 2015:
https://twitter.com/JaneJohnsonBakr/status/492050207979634689

@JaneJohnsonBakr Ouch, some people here are dying with dissappointment here. Is it very unlikely that it is or isn't released in 2015?

@DummeNumse Very unlikely, I'd say. These are huge, complex books as long they're the equivalent of 2 or 3 books by other writers!
9:13 AM - 25 Jul 2014

Welp, I expect the show to be finished before we ever see TWOW.

TWOW Unlikely to be Released in 2015:
https://twitter.com/JaneJohnsonBakr/status/492050207979634689

For those wondering, Jane Johnson is GRRM's UK publisher. She tweeted in January it wouldn't happen in 2014. Not sure why 2015 is being ruled out though - GRRM was at 400 MS pages early 2014 and cleared a lot of his schedule to crunch... I always thought the first half of 2015 was the most likely estimate.

Worst case scenario is that he hit another mental block or plot obstacle.

Salvadora

Jon's 'death' really came as a shock when I read it, actually had to take a break to process that. Thinking about it afterwards though, I guess he warged into Ghost and Mel can probably bring him back later.
The numerous fake deaths and subsequent hints from GRRM removed the shock factor for me.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

the moment he locked up his presentient wolf it was clear what was going to happen.

Valhelm

contribute something
For those wondering, Jane Johnson is GRRM's UK publisher. She tweeted in January it wouldn't happen in 2014. Not sure why 2015 is being ruled out though - GRRM was at 400 MS pages early 2014 and cleared a lot of his schedule to crunch... I always thought the first half of 2015 was the most likely estimate.

Worst case scenario is that he hit another mental block or plot obstacle.

I tweeted her back and it seems like they're just speculating.

RedShift

TWOW:
GRRM just confirmed at Comic Con that Jeyne Westerling is in the TWOW prologue.

That's her dead, then.

Holy shit. I always thought the prologue would be Red Wedding 2.0 at Riverrun, this makes it seem realllly likely.

EDIT: Wait, no, she left for the Rock didn't she?

As in, she's the POV, or she's just in it? Brotherhood attack on the Lannister convoy that's taking Jeyne and Edmure to the Westerlands, maybe?

Folks on Reddit are saying she's "in it" not the actual prologue character.

Regardless I also believe that it means we'll see an attack on the Lannister convoy. Maybe that's where the Blackfish has been. Maybe Jeyne lives, Edmure dies or vice versa; Jaime gave the soldiers orders to shoot them if anyone attacked.

Iksenpets

Banned
Folks on Reddit are saying she's "in it" not the actual prologue character.

Regardless I also believe that it means we'll see an attack on the Lannister convoy. Maybe that's where the Blackfish has been. Maybe Jeyne lives, Edmure dies or vice versa; Jaime gave the soldiers orders to shoot them if anyone attacked.

Wasn't the Brotherhood's spy present when Jaime gave the kill order though? If they know about that then I doubt they'd be attacking without some plan to get the hostages out safely. The POV could be Lannister soldier #7 and we just get to watch as the Brotherhood destroys them and gets Jeyne and Edmure out safely.

Wasn't the Brotherhood's spy present when Jaime gave the kill order though? If they know about that then I doubt they'd be attacking without some plan to get the hostages out safely. The POV could be Lannister soldier #7 and we just get to watch as the Brotherhood destroys them and gets Jeyne and Edmure out safely.

Great point, Tom heard all of Jaime's commands. Anyone remember how many men are in the convoy? The Blackfish probably wouldn't need a larger force to defeat them but he'd at least need a decent sized group.

I wouldn't call it a theory, but my guess on who the POV could be: http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2bq866/spoilers_twow_prologue_will_feature/cj7wj34

Another five+ years between books? What's GRRM's excuse now? With Book 4 it was that he had to change his timejump idea. With Book 5 it was the Mereneese Knot bullshit. What now?

He's old, writes slow, and the series is huge and the thousand plot threads are difficult to wield. It was never about one stretch of the plot or another. There wasn't anything particularly special about the "Merenese Knot" either.

He's old, writes slow, and the series is huge and the thousand plot threads are difficult to wield. It was never about one stretch of the plot or another. There wasn't anything particularly special about the "Merenese Knot" either.

So Martin scrapped 2-3k MS pages for no reason?

wut

Iksenpets

Banned
Great point, Tom heard all of Jaime's commands. Anyone remember how many men are in the convoy? The Blackfish probably wouldn't need a larger force to defeat them but he'd at least need a decent sized group.

I wouldn't call it a theory, but my guess on who the POV could be: http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2bq866/spoilers_twow_prologue_will_feature/cj7wj34

I can't find it online, but I seen to recall the number 200. I think it was fairly large, but I may be off.

- Zap2It: George R.R. Martin won’t be writing an episode for Season 5, talks TWOW

Includes a video interview with a few comments on TWOW prologue.
Martin spoke with Zap2It’s Terri Schwartz about his comments during yesterday’s panel that Robb Stark’s book wife, Jeyne Westerling, would be making an appearance in ‘The Winds of Winter’ prologue. He reveals that she won’t be the POV character, and that he may just break his own rules in terms of the fate of those who appear in his prologues.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom