• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
I've got a bit of tinfoil: Aurane Waters isn't a pirate right now. He's sailing to Meereen, to serve Daenerys. Because of wars in Essos and Westeros, there's not much good trade to swoop in on.

If he's not a pirate, Aurane Waters has no reason to serve anyone else than Daenerys. He betrayed Stannis by switching sides to Joffrey, and betrayed the Lannister-Tyrells by stealing the nation's entire fleet.

Traditionally, House Velaryon was the most loyal of all houses to the Targaryens. They fled Valyria together and played a major part in the Conquest.

I wrote up my speculation here.

I've got a bit of tinfoil: Aurane Waters isn't a pirate right now. He's sailing to Meereen, to serve Daenerys. Because of wars in Essos and Westeros, there's not much good trade to swoop in on.

If he's not a pirate, Aurane Waters has no reason to serve anyone else than Daenerys. He betrayed Stannis by switching sides to Joffrey, and betrayed the Lannister-Tyrells by stealing the nation's entire fleet.

Traditionally, House Velaryon was the most loyal of all houses to the Targaryens. They fled Valyria together and played a major part in the Conquest.

That's a solid theory. I could also see him throwing in with Aegon once word gets around about him. Assuming he's around the Stepstones it wouldn't be far out of his way. Either way, someone's getting a bitchin' navy.

cashman

Banned
Fuck him for wanting to finish TWoW....? Wat

Huh, he's saying he's planning on trying to have the book finished by the spring so he can write a script for the show. That's good news!

First half of 2015 release BELIEVE

The quote seems to imply that he's only now beginning to realize that the show is going to catch up to the books and he actually has to focus on writing. I just hope we'll get a decent writer to finish the series up.

Brakke

Banned
Valhelm's post makes sense, but I'd be shocked to see Aurane Waters again. Or maybe nor shocked, but I'd definitely roll my eyes and not care. That guy was a waste of time, in and out so quick. Plus he's such a Daario 2: Swarth Harder kind of poser.

Valhelm

contribute something
Aurane Waters is absolutely coming back. I'm certain.

If we don't see him or hear of his death by the end of TWOW, I'll take a video of an entire can of crushed tomatoes being poured onto my head.

You have my word.

Brakke

Banned
Lol "hear of his death". What a waste of time that clown will have been. Existing only as a means to illustrate Cersei's total incompetence, an aspect already rendered in excruciating, photorealistic detail.

Ratrat

BtSU3yKCEAAAvI2.jpg

day one

Wait, is this the book with 4 Dunk and Egg stories? Or is that something else?

What the hell is going to be in that thing again?

Collected here is all the accumulated knowledge, scholarly speculation, and inherited folk tales of maesters and septons, maegi and singers. It is a chronicle which stretches from the Dawn Age to the Age of Heroes; from the Coming of the First Men to the arrival of Aegon the Conqueror; from Aegon’s establishment of the Iron Throne to Robert’s Rebellion and the fall of the Mad King, Aerys II Targaryen, which has set into motion the “present-day” struggles of the Starks, Lannisters, Baratheons, and Targaryens. The definitive companion piece to George R. R. Martin’s dazzlingly conceived universe, The World of Ice and Fire is indeed proof that the pen is mightier than a storm of swords.

There are sample chapters available. Also GRRM read a Tywin/Lannister chapter at a convention a few months ago. There are fan summaries posted somewhere. The chapter goes into the why and how Tywin ended House Reyne.

RedShift

Wait, is this the book with 4 Dunk and Egg stories? Or is that something else?

Its' the World of Ice and Fire, comes out in October, loads of cool art and back story on the setting of the books. There are two extracts out already about Nymeria's flight from the Rhoyne to Dorne and the start of Aegon's conquest that are pretty good, so it'll probably be awesome.

Hopefully it'll have enough new info to keep crazy theorists slightly sane until TWOW comes out
no chance

Jayof9s

The quote seems to imply that he's only now beginning to realize that the show is going to catch up to the books and he actually has to focus on writing. I just hope we'll get a decent writer to finish the series up.

And also suggests he isn't at all sure he'll be done in time for season six.

Which doesn't surprise me but is still disappointing.

RedShift

And also suggests he isn't at all sure he'll be done in time for season six.

Which doesn't surprise me but is still disappointing.

Well I imagine if he was doing one for S6 he'd have to be writing it about the same time as the S5 premiere. So seeing as he said he probably wouldn't start writing episodes until TWOW was finished, edited and released, even if we take the really optimistic view that it'll be out April 2015 he still might not have time to write an episode for Season 6.

So I don't think it's that worrying.

Interesting theory. You're right about it not making sense to set up shop as a pirate in the Stepstones, whereas going there to gather a crew makes sense. That being said, I don't believe he's going to Meereen simply due to the current narrative. Victarion is in Mereen with close to 100 ships. The Volantis fleet is weeks if not days away, with 500 ships. Dany will have more than enough ships to gather her army and/or khalasar for a journey to Westeros; what narrative purpose would it serve to bring Waters to Meereen too? I'm assuming that the Volantis fleet, which is manned by slaves, will eventually switch sides.

I'm more apt to believe that Waters might end up siding with Aegon. The Golden Company's journey to the Stormlands is complicated by bad weather, and many of their ships end up in the Stepstones. While Waters may have initially sailed there to gather a crew, the arrival of Golden Company would be quite a blessing for an opportunist like him. He could sail those men back to Griffin's Roost and offer his services to Aegon for a price: legimization/lordship and the master of ships title.

E92 M3

Reposting from the other thread since this one seems to be the appropriate one:

Wow I just finished all of the books - A Dance with Dragons was fantastic! If The Winds of Winter is anywhere close to the level of the 5th book then we are in for a treat! Man - so many thoughts rushing through my head....especially Jon Snow.

Also, did anyone instantly think of the Skyrim opener when Drogon unexpectedly attacked the arena. It was different circumstances, but I imagined the surprise of people in a similar fashion.

Damn, a Feast for Crows was a great read, but A Dance with Dragons was full of revelations and cliff hangers. I can't imagine the delight everyone felt reading it when it just released 3 years ago.

Also, Robert Strong - damn zombie mountain will be hellishly scary dude.

Also, I had that beautiful history book preordered as soon as it was available on Amazon. Can't wait for it.

Reposting from the other thread since this one seems to be the appropriate one:

Wow I just finished all of the books - A Dance with Dragons was fantastic! If The Winds of Winter is anywhere close to the level of the 5th book then we are in for a treat! Man - so many thoughts rushing through my head....especially Jon Snow.

Also, did anyone instantly think of the Skyrim opener when Drogon unexpectedly attacked the arena. It was different circumstances, but I imagined the surprise of people in a similar fashion.

Damn, a Feast for Crows was a great read, but A Dance with Dragons was full of revelations and cliff hangers. I can't imagine the delight everyone felt reading it when it just released 3 years ago.

Also, Robert Strong - damn zombie mountain will be hellishly scary dude.

Also, I had that beautiful history book preordered as soon as it was available on Amazon. Can't wait for it.

Cool shit man. There really oughtta be some sort of "I just finished the books, now what?" primer for ASoIaF. Finishing the books the first time is really just the start. Now you get to endlessly analyze and theorize until you go half mad waiting for Winds of Winter. Anyway, be sure to read the prequel novellas if you haven't already. There's three Dunk & Egg stories, plus The Princess and the Queen and The Rogue Prince.

Also, be sure to look up some of the most popular fan theories. Some are so airtight as to be basically fact, others not so much. In particular, check out R+L=J, Frey Pies, Jojen Paste, Daario = Euron, and High Septon = Howland.

Be sure to look up stuff you might have missed in the books too. For instance, did you know...
... that the gravedigger on the Quiet Isle is Sandor Clegane?
... that Alleras the Sphinx is Sarella Sand?
... that Robert Arryn's sickliness (and Lysa's betrothal to Jon) is the result of Lysa's aborting Littlefinger's child?
... that the Alchemist is Jaqen H'gar?
... that Rickon is currently on Skagos?
... that Jon Connington was in love with Rhaegar?

Yonafunu

Also, be sure to look up some of the most popular fan theories. Some are so airtight as to be basically fact, others not so much. In particular, check out R+L=J, Frey Pies, Jojen Paste, Daario = Euron, and High Septon = Howland.

Be sure to look up stuff you might have missed in the books too. For instance, did you know...
... that Robert Arryn's sickliness (and Lysa's betrothal to Jon) is the result of Lysa's aborting Littlefinger's child?

Damn man, don't just spell everything out for him! Finding some of this on your own is half the fun!

E92 M3

Cool shit man. There really oughtta be some sort of "I just finished the books, now what?" primer for ASoIaF. Finishing the books the first time is really just the start. Now you get to endlessly analyze and theorize until you go half mad waiting for Winds of Winter. Anyway, be sure to read the prequel novellas if you haven't already. There's three Dunk & Egg stories, plus The Princess and the Queen and The Rogue Prince.

Some of it I knew, but other stuff is kind too much info. Not your fault though, I should've mentioned that I didn't like guessing and theorizing what's next too much because it might ruin the surprise.

Some of it I knew, but other stuff is kind too much info. Not your fault though, I should've mentioned that I didn't like guessing and theorizing what's next too much because it might ruin the surprise.
Sorry if I ruined anything for you man! I was gonna put in spoiler tags originally but the rule for the thread is technically "anything that's been published is fair game" so I decided against it. Anyway there's plenty more where that came from.

E92 M3

Sorry if I ruined anything for you man! I was gonna put in spoiler tags originally but the rule for the thread is technically "anything that's been published is fair game" so I decided against it. Anyway there's plenty more where that came from.

Thankfully not too much was ruined, the alchemist really explained it all. When I was finished A Feast for Crows, it was late and it confused me because I thought Pate has died. Now it makes more sense.

Is there some good literature out there that wraps ups the books and explains details that might have been overlooked?

Yen

I finished the series a few days ago. It's funny reading about all the things I missed, like Clegane maybe being a gravedigger. Never mind all the theories that I had no idea about. R+L, Jojen paste etc

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So... What is the general consensus on Jon? Dead or not?

ADwD's prologue combined with the fact that he whispers "Ghost" after Marsh stabbed him makes me think that he's a furry now :(

Also, he was being all Eddard making those stupid mistakes. That's usually deserving of death (unless you're Cersei).

On the Road Again

I haven't even found time to post about all the cool stuff that went down at Comicon, or in France and Switzerland before that, but in a few hours we'll be off again... for Scotland and the Edinburgh Book Festival first, then London for worldcon, then straight to LA for the Emmys.

I am exhausted just thinking about it.

A year or two back, grouping most of my 2014 travel in one tight two-month period to allow me to stay home and work the rest of the year seemed like a really great idea... but now that it's on me, I have to admit, it's too much too soon.

Fortunately, once I get home from LA, there's nothing on the schedule for the rest of the year but one quick trip to NY and Jersey, to see the family, check in with editors and agents, and do a couple other cool things. Which is great. New Mexico is at its most gorgeous in the fall, and I am hoping that the big block of time at home will let me get a LOT of writing done.

Meanwhile... these flights across the pond are always grueling, but I expect to have a great time in Edinburgh and London.

See you there!
http://grrm.livejournal.com/379487.html

So he'll get back in Late August, and his next event isn't until mid or late April, when he'll presumably attend premier parties for S5 of the show. That's eight months in New Mexico, writing. All his side projects are complete.

I finished the series a few days ago. It's funny reading about all the things I missed, like Clegane maybe being a gravedigger. Never mind all the theories that I had no idea about. R+L, Jojen paste etc

That chapter on the Quiet Isle is already really good but if you go back to it with that knowledge I honestly think it's one of the best in the whole series.

Brazil

It's been 12 hours since I finished the books.

I honestly do not know how you guys can handle this shit for years and years.

I'll never see another Spring in my life at this rate.

So... What is the general consensus on Jon? Dead or not?

ADwD's prologue combined with the fact that he whispers "Ghost" after Marsh stabbed him makes me think that he's a furry now :(

Also, he was being all Eddard making those stupid mistakes. That's usually deserving of death (unless you're Cersei).
He's definitely going to be alive in some form.

From a purely functional standpoint, I think his POV is too badly needed for him to be dead.

Brazil

He's definitely going to be alive in some form.

From a purely functional standpoint, I think his POV is too badly needed for him to be dead.

I think ADwD's Prologue established that the worst case scenario was Jon becoming Ghost. The fact that the Prologue exists tells me that that's exactly what happened.

Still, I guess he could still be alive. Someone (like Wun Wun) could've stopped him from being killed after he passed out. And Melisandre could bring him back in case Stannis actually dies.

But I don't think he's necessary from a perspective standpoint. Melisandre's there, and she's a POV.

I really doubt that we'll find out about his destiny in a "Jon"-labeled chapter, too.

CassSept

I'm relatively a new reader, the TV series finally motivated me to pick up the books so I started the series in 2011 and finished it in early 2012 (AFFC broke me for a while), but honestly 2.5 year later it just feels like:

You get used to it after a few years. Don't worry about it.

You accept that there are no new books and there might be a new entry into the series. One day. Maybe, somehow. It just becomes status quo.

Iksenpets

Banned
That blog post. This is the most hyped I've seen GRRM about writing in a good ass while.

Reading the tea leaves of random GRRM interviews and blog posts is always an inexact art, but he's seemed in a better mood lately, both in terms of talking about his writing and in terms of where the show is in relation to him. I think maybe he's hit a good groove on Winds? Maybe it's starting to fall into place? But I'm probably reading into nothing.

bengraven

This is how I feel about the fans after a few months of the next book being out.

aDv93Mq.jpg

We just accept it.

The best part is...We've all been talking about Winds of Winter and how much we can't wait for it, how long it's taking GRRM, etc. And then it's going to get here and many of us are going to be done with it in a week. And right back to waiting for years again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom