• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

daripad

The best part is...We've all been talking about Winds of Winter and how much we can't wait for it, how long it's taking GRRM, etc. And then it's going to get here and many of us are going to be done with it in a week. And right back to waiting for years again.

Not really because rereading and fan theories will get more interesting due to new information, there will be a lot to talk about for a month at the least

Not really because rereading and fan theories will get more interesting due to new information, there will be a lot to talk about for a month at the least
A month was about how long post-ADWD discussions held up before becoming circular or crackpot. It's not that long when you're waiting years and years.

The best part is...We've all been talking about Winds of Winter and how much we can't wait for it, how long it's taking GRRM, etc. And then it's going to get here and many of us are going to be done with it in a week. And right back to waiting for years again.

I never understood that, but then again I'm a very slow reader. I might read three chapters a day, four at the max on a weekend. I prefer reading at night right before I go to sleep, and I spend ridiculous amounts of time pausing to fully picture things in my head. When I was rereading ADWD last winter I'd walk outside my place just to get cold...at least until the police drove by and questioned me. I forgot what I told them but yea...I wasn't going to say "oh I'm just walking around picturing the cold of a Westerosi winter."

iirate

I never understood that, but then again I'm a very slow reader. I might read three chapters a day, four at the max on a weekend. I prefer reading at night right before I go to sleep, and I spend ridiculous amounts of time pausing to fully picture things in my head. When I was rereading ADWD last winter I'd walk outside my place just to get cold...at least until the police drove by and questioned me. I forgot what I told them but yea...I wasn't going to say "oh I'm just walking around picturing the cold of a Westerosi winter."

I'm totally stealing that for some time in the future.

jett

D-Member

wat

fallout

So, what you're telling me is that we'll never be satisfied and should just stop worrying?

I read The Princess and the Queen and The Rogue Prince for the first time this week. TPatQ was really cool. You basically get a whole conflict the size of the War of the Five Kings condensed into novella form. That also completed my reread of the entire series. Even better the second time!

KingKiller

Neo Member
It's been 12 hours since I finished the books.

I honestly do not know how you guys can handle this shit for years and years.

I'll never see another Spring in my life at this rate.

Finished ADWD in January 2013 and then again in May of this year. I stupidly believed the next book would be announced before I finished my second read-through.

B.K.

And then it's going to get here and many of us are going to be done with it in a week. And right back to waiting for years again.

I don't see how anyone could read one of these books in a week. Even A Game of Thrones took me the better part of a month, and it's the shortest book in the series.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't see how anyone could read one of these books in a week. Even A Game of Thrones took me the better part of a month, and it's the shortest book in the series.
Aren't the audiobooks like 40 hours long? Most people can read a lot faster than Roy Dotrice doing the audiobooks. 5 hours a day and you're probably done it in a week.

I'm like PhoenixDark though, a couple of chapters before bed and really taking it in. It's probably why I retain so much of it.

So, what you're telling me is that we'll never be satisfied and should just stop worrying?

Neither one, it's just amazing really that we spend so much time thinking, wanting and speculating about something and then when it gets here its over so quick. It's the same way with any movie, television show season or book.

Always wished Cat had stayed dead.

Yeah, not really seeing her importance. But I guess she'll have a lot to do with Jaime's continued growth.

I hated Cat until her very last chapter. I love Lady Stoneheart.

Hm, I feel like Stoneheart is just the zombie version of everything wrong with Cat. She's fierce and deaf to anyone else's reasoning. The same Cat who captured Tyrion and forced things to cascade quickly is the one who is now stringing Brienne up and ruining the Brotherhood without Banners.

Here's the quote from the Telegraph report:
When asked about the many fan theories appearing on websites, Martin said: "I've wrestled with this issue, because I do want to surprise my readers. I hate predictable fiction as a reader, I don't want to write predictable fiction.

"I want to surprise and delight my reader and take them in directions they didn't see coming.

"But I can't change the plans. That's one of the reasons I used to read the early fan boards back in the 90s but stopped. One, I didn't have the time, but two is this very issue.

"So many readers were reading the books with so much attention that they were throwing up some theories and while some of those theories were amusing bulls--- and creative, some of the theories are right.

"At least one or two readers had put together the extremely subtle and obscure clues that I'd planted in the books and came to the right solution.

"So what do I do then? Do I change it! I wrestled with that issue and I came to the conclusion that changing it would be a disaster, because the clues were there.

"You can't do that, so I'm just going to go ahead.

"Some of my readers who don't read the boards, which thankfully there are hundreds of thousands of them, will still be surprised and other readers will say: 'see, I said that four years ago, I'm smarter than you guys'."
Too many monkeys with too many typewriters on 'the boards', and all of the sudden Euron is Daario.

Dresden

I hated Cat until her very last chapter. I love Lady Stoneheart.

I've gone back and forth on Cat, but I've ended up liking her very much. She's one of the best characters in the series - she's human, so very human. That we lose her as a viewpoint is one of the central tragedies of the Red Wedding.

So to see her turn into a zombie queen really bothers me. And I think it's a little too messy in what it does to the story, in how Brienne and Jaime have been hooked into this multi-novel storyline where nothing happens and nothing much could happen, other than their personal demises.

People have been pestering Martin with R+L=J and Aegon questions for at least 16 years, plus other stuff. I remember people on Westeros.org (specifically Elio) theorizing that the Three Eyed Crow was Bloodraven, and lo and behold ADWD comes out 6 years later and confirms it.

I'm still not sure how R+L=J will be revealed, or whether it's actually important. I like the idea that Jon will be in a coma state, like Bran in AGOT, and finally be able to see the end of his dream about the Winterfell crypts. Perhaps that's how he'll realize he needs to go to the crypts...but given that he is near death (or dead), war is waging in the north etc...how will he have time to get there lol.

Chopper

Unfortunately I had Stoneheart spoiled for me by a rogue post in the no-spoiler tv show thread a while ago, but I marked out anyway when I read it actually happening. Zombie Cat! How is that not awesome? Having said that, I did not appreciate her treatment of Brienne.

Having just finished the books, I feel as though I have a lot I could write here, but it's all kind of overwhelming. Now that I've had the chance to delve into it all without having to worry about spoilers, there's even more questions I want to ask. Like, hundreds of questions.

I'll start with one: Do we know that Ramsay's letter to Bastard was for real?

Edit: Also, how many times have you guys read these?

hemtae

Unfortunately I had Stoneheart spoiled for me by a rogue post in the no-spoiler tv show thread a while ago, but I marked out anyway when I read it actually happening. Zombie Cat! How is that not awesome? Having said that, I did not appreciate her treatment of Brienne.

Having just finished the books, I feel as though I have a lot I could write here, but it's all kind of overwhelming. Now that I've had the chance to delve into it all without having to worry about spoilers, there's even more questions I want to ask. Like, hundreds of questions.

I'll start with one: Do we know that Ramsey's letter to Bastard was for real?

I doubt it. He didn't know where Theon and Jeyne were and he uses some suspect language. TWOW
Plus Theon's sample chapter shows Stannis knows what's going on.
. It's been theorized that Mance wrote it.

daripad

I doubt it. He didn't know where Theon and Jeyne were and he uses some suspect language. TWOW

Who else would say crows to the Night's Watch?

Chopper

But then, he wouldn't know where Theon and Jeyne are, would he?

So I've read the series multiple times. Always assumed that varys was rugen the undergaoler, but never noticed that Jamie confirms it in affc. Anyone else miss this the first time through?

Chopper

Varys alter ego who runs the black cells. Qyburn finds the high garden gold in his secret spot after tyrion escapes which fuels her craziness about the tyrells....you know, that rugen.
Ah. I do know that Rugen. But I didn't know his name. And no. It did not occur to me that that was Varys, I don't think.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've gone back and forth on Cat, but I've ended up liking her very much. She's one of the best characters in the series - she's human, so very human. That we lose her as a viewpoint is one of the central tragedies of the Red Wedding.

So to see her turn into a zombie queen really bothers me. And I think it's a little too messy in what it does to the story, in how Brienne and Jaime have been hooked into this multi-novel storyline where nothing happens and nothing much could happen, other than their personal demises.

Now that you mention it, it really is weird. Why are Brienne and Jaime even in the series still? I honestly can't see any use for them in the overarching plot.

My opinion is that he actually captured Mance but lied about the rest.

iamblades

Now that you mention it, it really is weird. Why are Brienne and Jaime even in the series still? I honestly can't see any use for them in the overarching plot.

My opinion is that he actually captured Mance but lied about the rest.

Jamie has to finish his redemption arc and become the Valonqar that Cersei fears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom